I Ain't Got No Quarrel With The VietCong... No VietCong Ever Called Me ******

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

"When the world meekly protested against the dying and killing of an unworthy war …. Jane Fonda was the first person of notoriety to stand up and say, “I hear you!” She was the first Vietnam-era Hero. Perhaps the only one. Without her contribution the war might still be raging on."

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/gener ... oco-2.html, post #11

Fonda visited Hanoi in July 1972.

Years prior to that event:

"On August 23, 1966, Muhammad Ali embarked on the biggest "fight" of his life when he applied with the Selective Service for conscientious objector status on religious grounds (as a minister with the Nation of Islam). In what became an extensive legal, political, professional, and personal battle, Ali was convicted of draft evasion, stripped of his boxing title, and became a lightning rod — and a voice — for opinions on the Vietnam War. Muhammad Ali's willingness to speak out against racism in the United States, and the affect it had on domestic and foreign policy, earned him many supporters and detractors. In 1971, nearly five years after it began, Ali's legal battle finally culminated with a unanimous decision (8-0 with Thurgood Marshall abstaining) by the United States Supreme Court overturning his draft conviction."

Muhammad Ali

"On June 20, 1967, Ali was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years. He stayed out of prison as his case was appealed and returned to the ring on October 26, 1970, knocking out Jerry Quarry in Atlanta in the third round."

Muhammad Ali refuses Army induction — History.com This Day in History — 4/28/1967

Pardon the Pun, but the doings of a movie star Pale in comparison to a true American hero & anti-Vietnam War Activist, Muhammad Ali. This man risked it ALL & almost lost ALL, including freedom.

Some bloviators, still entranced by the tits & ass they saw in their youth in Barbarella have lost all sense of what the true history actually was, will write in oversized Bold letters to Bully others while trying to convince themselves they were right; then turn on the truth, seeing their own outrageous opinions as facts that they cannot be dissuaded from, seeing other views as attacks & distractions.

Or maybe some bloviators are just getting Old. Whatever, Muhammad Ali's contributions should not take a back seat to a Princess of Hollywood Royalty. He came up the hard way & should be the inspiration of what it is like to "Risk it All."
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

On a personal note, I had a serious fall last week; this week I topped myself by developing pneumonia -- a long & winding road, so I must leave this as is & get some rest now.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1474554 wrote: On a personal note, I had a serious fall last week; this week I topped myself by developing pneumonia -- a long & winding road, so I must leave this as is & get some rest now.

Take care of yourself, and get well. We still need you around around here.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I was at one time convinced that Ali was a moral person, mostly due to his stand on the war. But then I learned how despicable his behavior was toward Joe Frazier and my mind was changed. I'm now suspicious Clay (Ali) used the religion of Islam as an out of the war and the rest was pure show.

Well written OP, Anne, you should do it more often. :)
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1474554 wrote: On a personal note, I had a serious fall last week; this week I topped myself by developing pneumonia -- a long & winding road, so I must leave this as is & get some rest now.

I had noticed your absence, take it easy and get back to yourself soon.

And........ as you mentioned it............one of my all time favourites.

I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1474556 wrote: I was at one time convinced that Ali was a moral person, mostly due to his stand on the war. But then I learned how despicable his behavior was toward Joe Frazier and my mind was changed. I'm now suspicious Clay (Ali) used the religion of Islam as an out of the war and the rest was pure show.

Well written OP, Anne, you should do it more often. :)

Since one of my jobs during the war was to counsel young men not to subject themselves for the military, & the Ali/Frazier thing happened years after I'm not too concerned about Ali's use of Islam in his unwillingness to participate in Vietnam. I would have, and did, encourage any young man, for any reason, or for no reason at all, Not to Serve, & my group as well participated in aiding deserters. I didn't care, & don't care now, exactly what their personal reasonings were. My concern was only to End the War by drying up conscripts to be used by my government. As for "pure show", I am merely reminding folks of how much Ali put at risk, how far he was willing to fall for his ideals, and that he should not lose any credit to a woman (whom I happen to admire & respect on many levels of her multi-faceted career) who risked nothing but the scorn of some people she didn't care about or need anyway, and who not only did not lose standing, but gained it. She wouldn't want misguided praise either, of that I happen to know due to my cousin's friendship with her.

Thanks for your well wishes, guys, I'm really suffering.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

AnneBoleyn;1474561 wrote:

Thanks for your well wishes, guys, I'm really suffering.

Please be careful, Anne. Pneumonia actually caused my wife to have a heart attack and die for over half an hour. They don't call it the "Old Person's Friend" for nothing!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

zeit gezunt Ann
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1474572 wrote: zeit gezunt Ann

& zay gezunt to you my friend; though on opposing sides, I respect you as you are honest. You say what you mean, you mean what you say--I always know where you are & where you stand & that is our America.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Saint_;1474569 wrote: Please be careful, Anne. Pneumonia actually caused my wife to have a heart attack and die for over half an hour. They don't call it the "Old Person's Friend" for nothing!

Which part is the "Old Person's Friend" as right now I sometimes feel Mr. Death is a welcomer. And say, who you callin' old?

I am so glad your lovely wife recovered. Live long & prosper.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hey there Anne, just you keep yourself warm and take the meds that you have been given, take plenty of fluid so you don't dehydrate. Just get yourself better. Is there anybody with you who can look after you ? I really hope so. Get well Anne. You can see you are needed here, cos these men are quite often hopeless really and they need a woman's persuasion to behave themselves. You get plenty of rest too.

I look forward to your posts when you feel up to it. :)

A YELLOW ROSE OF FRIENDSHIP TO YOU

I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The picture is beautiful. Thank you very much. Hugs.

Return to “History”