Trolls Trolling

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Trolls Trolling

Post by Lon »

I have been banned for two weeks on a Financial Forum in which I participate. I re read my apparent offending post and don't understand the fuss. How tough are the moderators on Forum Garden? Have you ever been banned?

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]
LarsMac

Trolls Trolling

Post by LarsMac »

Some of the stuff you've posted, of late, would qualify as trolling.

I think that if you began such posts with, "I just received this in an email (or on Facebook, etc)" making it clear where you came up with it, perhaps it would be better received.

Here, Admin is pretty tolerant. I have been on forums where the enforcement is much more strict.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Trolls Trolling

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1473606 wrote: Some of the stuff you've posted, of late, would qualify as trolling.

I disagree, & I don't know what you mean. I fail to see where Lon has done anything offensive to anyone.
LarsMac

Trolls Trolling

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1473609 wrote: I disagree, & I don't know what you mean. I fail to see where Lon has done anything offensive to anyone.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

Offense is on the mind of the offended.

I did not say Lon offended anyone here.

And his "Dumbmest [sic] President Ever" thread would most likely qualify as a Troll in any forum, or newsgroup.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Trolls Trolling

Post by spot »

I've had no problem with anything Lon's posted, I look forward to everything he writes.

The trouble with "ban" as a word is that it refers to both permanent bans and to fixed-period suspensions. It would be sensible to distinguish between them.

ForumGarden under the current ownership - the last four years - has permanently banned three members and a stack of spammers.

There must have been a number of suspensions but once they're served, they're done. The suspension history is retained but only becomes relevant if the same member comes up for another suspension later on.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Trolls Trolling

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1473611 wrote: In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

Offense is on the mind of the offended.

I did not say Lon offended anyone here.

And his "Dumbmest [sic] President Ever" thread would most likely qualify as a Troll in any forum, or newsgroup.

What was the problem?

He posted story with a link. [edit, actually not a link, but a source] Made comment on the story.

Ya know what?

I thought this is how this is suppose to work.

:thinking:
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
flopstock

Trolls Trolling

Post by flopstock »

tude dog;1473615 wrote: What was the problem?

He posted story with a link. Made comment on the story.

Ya know what?

I thought this is how this is suppose to work.

:thinking:

Didn't see any link on the post, but kinda assumed from other posts of Lon's that it probably had come in his email. Didn't care, just read it as a conversation starter. and it did that.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bruv

Trolls Trolling

Post by Bruv »

I used to find some of your food based threads with images upsetting, especially when all I had was beans on toast.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tude dog

Trolls Trolling

Post by tude dog »

flopstock;1473616 wrote: Didn't see any link on the post, but kinda assumed from other posts of Lon's that it probably had come in his email. Didn't care, just read it as a conversation starter. and it did that.

I stand corrected, he did not post a link.

CNN News carried this quote

It would be nice to supply a link, but anybody interested can check it out.

Unless it is of special interest, I wouldn't bother.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Trolls Trolling

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1473618 wrote: I stand corrected, he did not post a link.

It would be nice to supply a link, but anybody interested can check it out.

Unless it is of special interest, I wouldn't bother.

If it involves a cut and paste from another site then a link is more than "nice" but, to answer the original question, I certainly don't class Lon as a troll by any means, I don't see the intent to cause trouble or to bully other users and when he does post controversial subjects it is politely and it appears to be with a spirit of enquiry rather than in pursuit of a fixed agenda which is the main function of the Garden.
FourPart

Trolls Trolling

Post by FourPart »

There is a difference between deliberately setting out to cause dischord & upset and promoting debate on contraversial issues. After all, it would be a pretty dull life in a forum if we all agreed with each other on everything.
LarsMac

Trolls Trolling

Post by LarsMac »

I only brought up that post as an example. I was not accusing Lon of being a troll.

I can think of several forums where that thread opener would have launched terrific flame wars.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Trolls Trolling

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1473631 wrote: I can think of several forums where that thread opener would have launched terrific flame wars.

It's a good test of ForumGarden's maturity, then, that we can discuss the content without insulting each other. We might even be getting to the point where we can finally see what aspects we all agree about, rather than pushing hard on the differences trying to win the thread. A thread which someone's aggressively won is just noise and fury, it's not constructive.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Trolls Trolling

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1473631 wrote: I only brought up that post as an example. I was not accusing Lon of being a troll.

I can think of several forums where that thread opener would have launched terrific flame wars.

Then thank the Lord we're more adult in the Garden.
High Threshold

Trolls Trolling

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1473606 wrote: Some of the stuff you've posted, of late, would qualify as trolling.

I think that if you began such posts with, "I just received this in an email (or on Facebook, etc)" making it clear where you came up with it, perhaps it would be better received.

Here, Admin is pretty tolerant. I have been on forums where the enforcement is much more strict.

Agreed.
Snooz

Trolls Trolling

Post by Snooz »

Lon;1473602 wrote: Have you ever been banned?

Yes.
spot

Trolls Trolling

Post by spot »

Snooz;1473738 wrote: Yes.

Hah.

Me too, if it comes to that.
High Threshold

Trolls Trolling

Post by High Threshold »

Not me.
spot

Trolls Trolling

Post by spot »

High Threshold;1473744 wrote: Not me.

This can, of course, be rectified...
High Threshold

Trolls Trolling

Post by High Threshold »

spot;1473745 wrote: This can, of course, be rectified...

Not very likely. I'm fondly thought of by everyone and my charm wins over even my most determined adversaries. You'd have to agree, yes?
FourPart

Trolls Trolling

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1473746 wrote: Not very likely. I'm fondly thought of by everyone and my charm wins over even my most determined adversaries. You'd have to agree, yes?
You see - he admits to using charms. Ban the witch!!!
spot

Trolls Trolling

Post by spot »

High Threshold;1473746 wrote: Not very likely. I'm fondly thought of by everyone and my charm wins over even my most determined adversaries. You'd have to agree, yes?

I'll start a poll if you're not careful.
AnneBoleyn

Trolls Trolling

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1473756 wrote: I'll start a poll if you're not careful.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"*

*popularized by Carl Sagan, from a longer quote by Pierre-Simon Laplace
LarsMac

Trolls Trolling

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I like havin 'im around.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Trolls Trolling

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1473753 wrote: You see - he admits to using charms. Ban the witch!!!

:wah:
High Threshold

Trolls Trolling

Post by High Threshold »

"Careful"? That's a challenge if I've ever heard one. Have I been mistaken thinking you're my most ardent admirer on FG? Oh my! Father Christmas ….. Jesus …. and now this.
G#Gill

Trolls Trolling

Post by G#Gill »

I must say that I like 'avin' 'im ararnd, cos 'e lightens 'eavy threads. 'is 'umour needs a short while to git used to. Burritz there fur orl to see !

I suppose some people are devoid of a sense of humour, and I'm sorry for them as they are missing quite a lot of amusing banter.

I think that if HT was being serious in a thread, then I believe the reader would realise fairly quickly when that is !

If you look very carefully at HT's right cheek, you may see that there is an occasional bulge. Sometimes it may be the left cheek that has the bulge. (I am of course referring to his facial cheeks !). These bulges are usually due to HT putting his tongue there. :wah:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
AnneBoleyn

Trolls Trolling

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Your panties are drenched, I'll wait till you change them Gilly. Ready? OK.

This former good friend asswipe ravaged ME & dissed ME, in not one, but two threads. Liberated himself, said he, by putting me on Ignore--which is fine, it's his right, but what kind of purpose did he have mocking me & making sure I knew? Let him Just Do It, not set off fireworks. He had bad intent. I'm a forgiving person. I would forgive him BUT, don't go wetting yourself & expecting others to feel the same worship you do & don't try to get away with "I suppose some people are devoid of a sense of humour, and I'm sorry for them as they are missing quite a lot of amusing banter."

Maybe we should feel sorry for You for having stars in your eyes & that is your personal opinion. So loyal, so devoted, so unlike him are ye.
G#Gill

Trolls Trolling

Post by G#Gill »

Anne, I wrote a reasonable and friendly post. I have not experienced any untoward behaviour from HT, if you feel you have then perhaps you should talk to HT about that and not off-load onto me ! I did find your post, which seemed to be addressed to me, rather offensive. (and troll-like :wah: )
AnneBoleyn

Trolls Trolling

Post by AnneBoleyn »

G#Gill;1473801 wrote: Anne, I wrote a reasonable and friendly post. I have not experienced any untoward behaviour from HT, if you feel you have then perhaps you should talk to HT about that and not off-load onto me ! I did find your post, which seemed to be addressed to me, rather offensive. (and troll-like :wah: )

Uhhhhh, I can't talk to someone who puts me on Ignore & sings & gloats about it. Naturally, I will not be as well disposed toward him as You are, dear. Offended? Too bad, I spoke my truth of the matter. Oh, sorry, I mean, I do so beg your pardon, madam. Just growing old Disgracefully, I guess.
G#Gill

Trolls Trolling

Post by G#Gill »

AnneBoleyn;1473802 wrote: Uhhhhh, I can't talk to someone who puts me on Ignore & sings & gloats about it. Naturally, I will not be as well disposed toward him as You are, dear. Offended? Too bad, I spoke my truth of the matter. Oh, sorry, I mean, I do so beg your pardon, madam. Just growing old Disgracefully, I guess.

OK. :wah: So glad you are giving me the respect that I deserve ! :D
AnneBoleyn

Trolls Trolling

Post by AnneBoleyn »

G#Gill;1473803 wrote: OK. :wah: So glad you are giving me the respect that I deserve ! :D

Always. I feel you are a person I can be honest with, & share a moment with no grudges or hard feelings. Unlike "some" people ;-)
G#Gill

Trolls Trolling

Post by G#Gill »

AnneBoleyn;1473804 wrote: Always. I feel you are a person I can be honest with, & share a moment with no grudges or hard feelings. Unlike "some" people ;-)

Well thank you for that ! We're neither of us made of glass eh? ;) I guess we don't need pistols or sabres at dawn then. :)
spot

Trolls Trolling

Post by spot »

Sponsor's Update: Ticket sales for the now-postponed duel have been suspended. Refunds may be claimed from ForumGarden Syndicated KickPost Management Inc. on production of a valid receipt. Don't miss February's highlight, Bryn vs. "Bruiser" Bruv, next Monday.
High Threshold

Trolls Trolling

Post by High Threshold »

spot;1473814 wrote: Sponsor's Update: Ticket sales for the now-postponed duel have been suspended. Refunds may be claimed from ForumGarden Syndicated KickPost Management Inc. on production of a valid receipt. Don't miss February's highlight, Bryn vs. "Bruiser" Bruv, next Monday.

And if I've lost my receipt? I purchased my ticket on-line and then my yahoo account went sour - so I have nothing in writing. My credibility is top notch on FG (I've been told :yh_angel) so can you just take my word for it?
G#Gill

Trolls Trolling

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1473814 wrote: Sponsor's Update: Ticket sales for the now-postponed duel have been suspended. Refunds may be claimed from ForumGarden Syndicated KickPost Management Inc. on production of a valid receipt. Don't miss February's highlight, Bryn vs. "Bruiser" Bruv, next Monday.

Priceless, Mr. Spot ! Still laughing here !
Betty Boop

Trolls Trolling

Post by Betty Boop »

Well, I won't be buying any tickets, Bryn and Bruv?? That'll be nothing more than a minor scuffle then.

I shall save my money for something more explosive :wah:
Bruv

Trolls Trolling

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1473817 wrote: Well, I won't be buying any tickets, Bryn and Bruv?? That'll be nothing more than a minor scuffle then.

No good asking for you in my corner with the magic sponge and cotton buds then is it ?

What a waste.....................all that training.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

Trolls Trolling

Post by FourPart »

There are alternative ways of paying:

Preston fan “will sell a kidney” for a ticket to FA Cup tie against Manchester United - Independent.ie
G#Gill

Trolls Trolling

Post by G#Gill »

Betty Boop;1473817 wrote: Well, I won't be buying any tickets, Bryn and Bruv?? That'll be nothing more than a minor scuffle then.

You may have to wait some time, BB. The anticipated bout between Mr. Spot and Mrs. Oscar is, of course, cancelled now that Mrs. Oscar has been sent elsewhere to conduct her battles. 'Tis difficult to envisage an alternative bout at the moment, although there could be developments in the future ! :lips: :-3
spot

Trolls Trolling

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1473899 wrote: 'Tis difficult to envisage an alternative bout at the moment, although there could be developments in the future ! :lips: :-3

TruthBringer might return and have several hundred 2012-will-be-the-end-of-the-world posts bought up for examination, for example.
G#Gill

Trolls Trolling

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1473908 wrote: TruthBringer might return and have several hundred 2012-will-be-the-end-of-the-world posts bought up for examination, for example.

Oh gawd, no !
G#Gill

Trolls Trolling

Post by G#Gill »

I have just received a threatening e-mail on the strength of one of my posts on this thread. I will therefore not post anything more here, after this. The email saddened me greatly and has caused me much worry and a lot of stress. My post was meant to be jocular, but it seems that somebody didn't see it that way.
High Threshold

Trolls Trolling

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1474070 wrote: I have just received a threatening e-mail on the strength of one of my posts on this thread. I will therefore not post anything more here, after this. The email saddened me greatly and has caused me much worry and a lot of stress. My post was meant to be jocular, but it seems that somebody didn't see it that way.

Are you joking? No, no no, bullocks to that. Just report the bugger to admin or yahoo or whatever … don't drop out of FG. You're the sugar topping on this place. Please, don't do it. :yh_sad:yh_sad:yh_sad
spot

Trolls Trolling

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1474070 wrote: I have just received a threatening e-mail on the strength of one of my posts on this thread. I will therefore not post anything more here, after this. The email saddened me greatly and has caused me much worry and a lot of stress. My post was meant to be jocular, but it seems that somebody didn't see it that way.

Gill, you were a mod here, you know perfectly well that sending a copy to Bryn will get an immediate and effective result. Nobody can send threatening emails related to the site and get away with it.
High Threshold

Trolls Trolling

Post by High Threshold »

spot;1474082 wrote: Gill, you were a mod here, you know perfectly well that sending a copy to Bryn will get an immediate and effective result. Nobody can send threatening emails related to the site and get away with it.

That sounds like the sensible thing to do.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Trolls Trolling

Post by Bryn Mawr »

High Threshold;1474085 wrote: That sounds like the sensible thing to do.

Indeed, I'd already e-mailed Gill to that effect.
High Threshold

Trolls Trolling

Post by High Threshold »

Bryn Mawr;1474086 wrote: Indeed, I'd already e-mailed Gill to that effect.

I hope that she takes your advice.
G#Gill

Trolls Trolling

Post by G#Gill »

I did say that I would not post on this thread again, but I must have lied !

I also have to say that what I said in my 'threatening email' post was not true. I apologise for any upset I may have brought to anybody.
High Threshold

Trolls Trolling

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1474092 wrote: I did say that I would not post on this thread again, but I must have lied !

I also have to say that what I said in my 'threatening email' post was not true. I apologise for any upset I may have brought to anybody.

Never mind. My best friends are ALL liars. :wah:

Return to “General Chit Chat”