What are the best speakers?

Home Theater, Car Audio, Audiophile Systems, Tube Systems, and more.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

TxJuggalo wrote: Personally I love my Lightling Audio speakers. I've got 2 6x9's and 2 3.5's it's not much but it's a good start. I can't wait till I get my (Lightling Audio)Subs. by the way what kind of CD player should I get. :sneaky:

How does one keep up with all the new gear? I've found that speakers are so subjective. What one person likes is like fingernails scratching a chalkboard to others. :D

So with that - even if I find speakers I like, I'm sure there are probably 500 other models that I don't even know exist that are probably markedly better. Know what I mean?
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bose Speakers
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Lon wrote: Bose Speakers
Indeed!

Plus I really like my Klipsch speakers.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
spot

Post by spot »

I've not bought speakers for a while, they just annoy whoever else is in the house. I've four pairs of Etymotic ER-4S way-up-inside-earphones, that block the world beautifully, and a box of various-sized throw-away replacement ear moulds. Anyone visiting just clips into a splitter, if they want to hear what's happening. There's two Sennheiser RS-85's for wandering about the kitchen with, but I prefer the earphones for day to day use.

There's a pair of Linns plugged into the amplifier. Kanns, I think they are. Small but clean. I doubt if they're still sold.

None of this has a lot to do with what's the best - I've never gone for best, it costs too much and I can't tell the difference. I check what I can distinguish, before I buy, in the local demonstration room, and that suits me fine.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

The cheap end is mostly imports - the Sony and Pioneers you mention, for example - but even so there's a lot of new companies this last ten years at all price levels. Googling (british speaker "reference monitor") comes up with most of the names that I'd expect to see. Linn, Mission, Acoustic Energy, I'd listen to any of those without hesitating. Wharfedale have been about since the sixties and they have low-budget entry models that behave well. I don't expect any of the UK builders have a major impact on the US market though.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

best (for my personal taste) i ever had are my KEF C series...they bring my opera very clean and true, even the high Cs.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ive spent hrs upon hrs in search of the "perfect" pair of speakers.

Its relative to what sounds good to you. Its difficult to duplicate the store sound to how the same pair will sound in your home, there are so many factors involved acoustically speaking.

I settled on a pair of B&W's but Im still not 100 % satisfied, thats the thing about speakers, theres always buyers remorse the next time you hear something better.

I like a clean crisp natural sound, when you hear a horn its distinct & clear.

I appreciate low frequencies too but if you can duplicate the high end you can always add a subwoofer (which I recommend) Klipsch is a solid choice in my opinion.

In the car I think Infinity is a good all around speaker. I drive a Jetta & the monsoon system is satisfactory but I added an amp and a 10' subwoofer turned down fairly low. I was just looking for a little x-tra body not a THWUUMP ! But its there if the need should arise !

Its fun looking though aint it ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

How big is this car, 1humanbeing, that you can fit a ten foot subwoofer in it?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Its a VW Jetta 4 dr but fairly small.

2 amps the cd changer & the sub all fit nicely in the trunk with room to spare.

Theyre making car specific subs now that mount around wheel wells & take up virtually no room at all.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Heres an example spot although its not what I have. I have a passive sub with ports that just fits right in the trunk no problem.

I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Post by Bez »

Hi everyone

B&W Bowers & Wilkins based in the UK but American owned make the best in the world ...why ? because I am a production manager there....they are the Rolls Royce of speakers with something for everyones bank balance.

They are hand made and we are all proud of what we make..... go to...........

www.bwspeakers.com and have a look at the website. The USA are our biggest customers.

I'll be interested to hear what you think and also to answer any questions.

Happy listening

Bez :-6
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I have B&W DM 602's in my home & Im very happy with them but Im not positive Id go with them next time. Its a solid speaker all around but it needs something I cant quite put my finger on, just a little tweak I think.

I frequently make my rounds to see whats out there and I might be leaning a little towards Klipsch right now, but with speakers its always subjective.

Im interested in hearing about anything new you guys are doing in the full line your putting out now, you dont see B&W's everywhere here so Im not sure what the co. is up to right now.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Post by Bez »

SPOT....I have just come across your message....yesterday I posted a reply to 'What are the best speakers' ( yeh...I know...a couple of months late but I am new to message boards) and if you check it out you'll see Im championing B&W speakers....OK, I work there so I would say that wouldn't I !...

Just to correct one point you made......we are a British company but we are BIG in the USA in fact our company is American owned. America is our biggest market by far with Japan not far behind. We are not a high street brand but aim for the audiophile market (I hate that word) Our most expensive speakers are 35 thousand pounds a pair and the cheapest around £150....sorry, no time to work out US $s.

They use our speakers in all the big recording studios....Decca, EMI, Skywalker studios etc. and several recording artists own B&W speakers as well....Peter Gabriel, Paul McCartney etc.

I guess our market is more Jazz and classical but they sound pretty tasty with any music.

The B&W website is worth a visit if you're intersted in Hi Fi.

I've got a pair of small B&W speakers as the main ones for my surround sound, but I use the Sony 'Cuby ' things that came with the DVD player for the rears and center channel. sounds OK to me but I'm not part of the 'golden ear' brigade if you get my drift.

We've just won the Queens award for Innovation.....I've got a commemorative parker pen to prove it !!!!!!

Hope you've found this a little bit interesting.

warm wishes Bez ;)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Im leaning towards Boston Acoustics as a new favorite. Very natural and crisp sounding.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Im shopping for a center channel speaker now. Id like to have the B&W to voice match my front speakers but its big and heavy and out of my price range. Ill be wall mounting the speaker.

Ive narrowed it down to Bose or Boston Acoustics. I know the choice is mine and sound is subjective but I like feedback. Any thoughts ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Post by Bez »

Nomad wrote: Im shopping for a center channel speaker now. Id like to have the B&W to voice match my front speakers but its big and heavy and out of my price range. Ill be wall mounting the speaker.

Ive narrowed it down to Bose or Boston Acoustics. I know the choice is mine and sound is subjective but I like feedback. Any thoughts ?

Not all the B&W centers are big...have you seen the whole range ? What have you got for your fronts Nomad ?

Have you thought of an Inwall speaker ?

http://www.bwspeakers.com/
spot

Post by spot »

Nomad wrote: I know the choice is mine and sound is subjective but I like feedback. Any thoughts ?Oh lord, I can scarcely believe I'm about to do this. I shall serve extra time in Purgatory for it, if there isn't a special level reserved in Hell for sins of this magnitude.

You can manage it with either speaker. Wire a log-variable resistor of approximately 1k to 100k ohm range from the centre speaker to the open channel on your amplifier, and adjust it downward while playing your selected source until you achieve the desired result.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Bez wrote: Not all the B&W centers are big...have you seen the whole range ? What have you got for your fronts Nomad ?

Have you thought of an Inwall speaker ?

http://www.bwspeakers.com/

Ive got B&W's up front & Polk in the rear. Infinity for a sub. The B&W's Ive been looking at are more than I want to pay. Inwall probably not, Ill stick with a standard speaker.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Post by Bez »

Nomad wrote: Ive got B&W's up front & Polk in the rear. Infinity for a sub. The B&W's Ive been looking at are more than I want to pay. Inwall probably not, Ill stick with a standard speaker.

What model have you got Nomad...maybe i had a hand on making them ? :)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Bez wrote: What model have you got Nomad...maybe i had a hand on making them ? :)

DM 602
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Post by Bez »

Nomad wrote: DM 602

CC6 S2 will go with the 602 well as they are the same model range....good luck finding the right speaker....
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Nuther question. Ive got 2 speaker terminals on my B&W's. I have one set of speaker wires running from my reciever to the lower connectors and a gold plated connector hooked up between the two. Is this the same as bi-wiring ? (Dipole)

Attached files
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Post by Bez »

Nomad wrote: Nuther question. Ive got 2 speaker terminals on my B&W's. I have one set of speaker wires running from my reciever to the lower connectors and a gold plated connector hooked up between the two. Is this the same as bi-wiring ? (Dipole)

Oh dear...now you're getting technical....this FAQ might help

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fus ... /local.faq
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Bez wrote: Oh dear...now you're getting technical....this FAQ might help

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fus ... /local.faq

That was helpful thank you.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

This is what I settled on. I hope it bothers the neighbors.

Attached files
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Roast away!
Jives

Post by Jives »

TxJuggalo wrote: Personally I love my Lightling Audio speakers. I've got 2 6x9's and 2 3.5's it's not much but it's a good start. I can't wait till I get my (Lightling Audio)Subs. by the way what kind of CD player should I get. :sneaky:

Are we talking car stereo here? Or home stereo?

Well for cars, I've always kind of leaned towards Pioneer, although the speakers that come stock in cars nowadays are so good I haven't installed any speakers in decades.

(LOL. I remember in my first car, a 1964 Baby blue El Camino, I hooked up about 12 speakers I got out of old televisions and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get any power out of them. I didn't know about impedance then!)

As for home stereo, I used to have some Cerwin Vega 12's with ribbon tweeters, but my wife didn't like them because they took up half the living room. So now I have a pair of Acoustic Research Dynamics which have an almost perfectly flat frequency response graph.

As for CD players, I'd recommend the awesome Phillips CD recorder! Not only will it burn a copy of a CD in minutes, it'll accept analog sources like cable radio stations (DMX here) and I even burned my old cassette collection to CD since you can't get a lot of that stuff anymore.

Next step...burning old record albums to CD!!!:D
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
dick123

Post by dick123 »

Hello

You need best speakers deal to bag the best speaker available in the market. Without a good speaker even the best music players can fail to create the ambiance. So, for a heavenly music listening experience you need a good speaker to accessorize your player.

Here are some tips to get a good deal for speakers.

An effective way to look for the best speakers deal is to wait for certain festive offers. As for example, in USA, during Thanksgiving Day the kiosks for journals and newspapers are filled with flayers and mailers. They have a list of different gadgets available at reduced price. You can bag a very good quality speaker at a price much lower than the market. You also get warranty along with the discount.

If you do not want to wait that longer then keep a close watch on the flayers coming to your mailbox. Along with the deals on groceries and apparels, you may get a decent offer on a good model of a speaker from an even better brand.
Replacement Kitchen Doors
Odie

Post by Odie »

Cerwin-Vega!:guitarist

Bose:guitarist

Sennheiser:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Home and Car Audio”