Plus sized models: Are they good or bad images to be giving our kids?

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

When I read this article and then the comments attached to it, I was amazed once again at the comments people feel perfectly fine about throwing at fat people. And I have no trouble saying 'fat people'. I am one. Obese is a word folks use to pretend we aren't.

What cracks me up is that a lot of these folks act like they are making the comments to be helpful. I think that in order to make negative comments about someone elses appearance, folks should be required to post a current pic of themselves with that comment... that would shut people up in a heartbeat.:wah:

Tess Holliday, Size-22 Model, Is First to Score Major Modeling Contract : People.com
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

Am I allowed to put on a very loose kaftan before I press the shutter?

Actually I suspect I lost it in the move. For years I used to take one to festivals. It was originally intended for North African goat-herding.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Comments such as you've highlighted come really from the psyche of an uneducated society.

When we talk about attraction what we are actually talking about is Sexual Selection. Since Evolution has become a political football which in turn has rendered knowledge about this (or any) species inconsequential, our citizens in turn come to lack empathy towards one another, and, quite frankly, represent themselves as a bunch dumb-asses.

It's only natural for members of the species to be physically attracted to one another based on fitness since the drive is to pass along one's genes with (or through) a partner. Overweight people don't appear to be the most fit and so get passed over more often in the selection process. That's totally understandable to the educated person.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Ahso!;1473070 wrote: Comments such as you've highlighted come really from the psyche of an uneducated society.

When we talk about attraction what we are actually talking about is Sexual Selection. Since Evolution has become a political football which in turn has rendered knowledge about this (or any) species inconsequential, our citizens in turn come to lack empathy towards one another, and, quite frankly, represent themselves as a bunch dumb-asses.

It's only natural for members of the species to be physically attracted to one another based on fitness since the drive is to pass along one's genes with (or through) a partner. Overweight people don't appear to be the most fit and so get passed over more often in the selection process. That's totally understandable to the educated person.

Is it?

Surely the 'educated' person doesn't judge books by their covers?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Biology, BB, I'm talking biology. What little I know of it that is.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”