What do you find therapeutic ?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I can't sleep so I've just spent the past hour giving boy dog a haircut.

There's something I find extremely therapeutic at snipping away despite running the gauntlet when I get too close to his dangly bits.

Mulder Is now staring mournfully at a pile of dog hair on the floor.

My Mother always found Ironing therapeutic... something I loathe with a passion.

What about you ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I know what you mean about ironing. Personally I just spend a couple of hours on Sunday ironing just enough to see me through the week. I then end up with aching knees from all that standing up.

Obviously the most therapeutic thing for me is my music. When I'm not singing, I'm writing / arranging it. Sometimes I sit 'playing' my guitar or clarinet.

Alternatively I tend to chill by doing such logic puzzles as Hanjie, or occasionally, Sudoku & the like.
Oscar Namechange

My Mother Ironed everything Including my Father's and brothers under crackers. So Important should they be Involved In a road accident.

The only thing I Iron Is Bed Linen. I have a Queen size bed and I can't negotiate a duvet cover that large on some piddly Ironing board. I Iron It when It's on the bed.

I Iron nothing else. I take clothes out of the machine and Immediately hang them on hangers. In good weather, the hangers hang outside on the line. Just before they are fully dry, they go In the Tumble Dryer. The trick Is not to overload. Just a couple of Items for 10 minutes and then re-hang Immediately.... No Ironing.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Quiet. Waves, my favorite sound. Birds chirping. Having my neck massaged. Seeing the full moon. Seeing many stars ablaze.
Oscar Namechange

AnneBoleyn;1472031 wrote: Quiet. Waves, my favorite sound. Birds chirping. Having my neck massaged. Seeing the full moon. Seeing many stars ablaze.

Oh yes, waves.

One of my most vivid childhood memories Involved waves. My Father loved storms and although the neighbours probably thought he was Insane, on a night of a good storm, he'd wrap us up and drive us to the Arm on the Brighton Coast where the Marina has now been built. We'd watch the storm out out sea and watch the waves. He loved It. Our reward for this torture was Fish and chips on the way home eaten In the car out of newspaper with a wooden fork.

One night we were on the Arm watching a pretty violent storm out at sea with huge waves and I clearly remember him saying that after the next big wave, we'd call It a night and go for our Fish supper. It came and It came right over the arm so violently that It swept my Mother clean off her feet and she landed yards away. She was a tiny little thing though under 5 ft. We were all absolutely drenched but we still wanted our treat. I remember sitting In this Dolomite Sprite trying to eat my fish with all the windows so steamed up we couldn't see what we were doing. Oh how we laughed... not.... so cold our teeth were chattering.. Thanks Pa
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

What a beautiful memory oscar, and what a fabulous dad! Thanks for sharing this!
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Music ( especially on my own so i can sing along in terribly bad voice). I love a hot bubble bath with some lovely smellies and a fcae mask on,, sip a nice glass of red in there ,, or if too early for that a nice cuppa will do :)

Also,, I find cooking therapeutic actually,, cooking with the music on and singing and sometimes dancing along :wah: ,,, dunno what some passerby's must think if they look my way when walking past our house :yh_rotfl

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

AnneBoleyn;1472046 wrote: What a beautiful memory oscar, and what a fabulous dad! Thanks for sharing this! Thanks Anne.... At times like that, he'd say ' If It didn't kill you, It'll make you stronger'... errr right
Oscar Namechange

kazalala;1472066 wrote: Music ( especially on my own so i can sing along in terribly bad voice). I love a hot bubble bath with some lovely smellies and a fcae mask on,, sip a nice glass of red in there ,, or if too early for that a nice cuppa will do :)

Also,, I find cooking therapeutic actually,, cooking with the music on and singing and sometimes dancing along :wah: ,,, dunno what some passerby's must think if they look my way when walking past our house :yh_rotfl

Oh Yeah... Get down

Due to his health, Peter Is home a lot but I relish those times he's out of the house simply to whack the hi fi up especially as he detests The Verve. Music to commit suicide by, he calls It.

I do put the blinds down as I live next door to a Nursery and Primary school.... don't want to be frightening small children seeing me dancing around In my underwear.

Carrying out my ablutions, I take a pot of tea In sometimes.... I can be In there hours... It' gets harder as you get older.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Theraputic = Swinging in the tree swing in my back yard. Swimming at any time, especially floating around in an inner tube in a lake.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The initial post made me think of this one...

Oscar Namechange

FourPart;1472142 wrote: The initial post made me think of this one...

You know, I'd be In my absolute element there, I really would.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Meditating, Reiki and walking by the rough sea, especially if it's wet and windy.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1472182 wrote: Meditating, Reiki and walking by the rough sea, especially if it's wet and windy.

I envy you. Walking by the sea with the dogs especially In the rain Is something I miss and yearn for since moving away from the coast. I could always really clear my head there.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I would love to live by the sea, so that I can feel the salt spray and the sea breeze brushing against my face..................wonderful. I do envy you BB. You are very lucky, so never take it for granted, be sure to treasure every moment.

I too find Reiki so relaxing. Funnily enough I find that posting in forums is rather therapeutic ! :)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

This Is where we lived before moving to Bristol. Ferring In West Sussex was not a main seaside resort but a tiny little village with two shops. In between Littlehampton and Worthing. Nobody went there because there was no reason to go there so the beach was completely unspoilt.

Our house was two roads away from the beach and took probably no more than 3 minutes to walk down and be on the beach. You could walk miles without seeing another human. The dogs absolutely loved It. They'd jump In the sea, swim, roll In dead fish and rotting seaweed, chase waves and run for hours If the tide was out and there was sand for them to gallop on.

I miss that soooo much. Would love to move back down there but In all honesty, we couldn't afford It now my husbands retired.

Now I have to drive for an hour to get near a beach and then It's too touristy for me.

Attached files
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The spot where I am people drive from miles away to bring their dogs, facing right on to the shore.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Betty Boop;1472182 wrote: Meditating, Reiki and walking by the rough sea, especially if it's wet and windy.

Yes to all three.
Lon

Post by Lon »

one hour full body massage on a regular basis and 45 minutes in a hot spa with strong jets.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Sitting by a stream, watching the water flow by.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”