Jambalaya

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Jambalaya

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Made this for the first time tonight... Delish !!!!

I really enjoy Cajun food.... anyone got any new recipe's for me to try ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Jambalaya

Post by gmc »

Just use the cajun spices it's them that make the difference to the taste otherwise it's just stew by another name.
LarsMac

Jambalaya

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1471583 wrote: Just use the cajun spices it's them that make the difference to the taste otherwise it's just stew by another name.

Shows what you know.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Jambalaya

Post by YZGI »

Make yourself some Gumbo. Either Filet' Gumbo or okra gumbo if you like okra. I make mine a combo if everyone that is eating it likes okra. It's all in the roux.
G#Gill

Jambalaya

Post by G#Gill »

YZGI;1471596 wrote: Make yourself some Gumbo. Either Filet' Gumbo or okra gumbo if you like okra. I make mine a combo if everyone that is eating it likes okra. It's all in the roux.

Karen Carpenter sang about that didn't she ? I always wondered what she was on about :yh_rotfl Yes I know, I'm higgorant ! What's Jambalaya, or Filet Gumbo or Okra Gumbo?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

Jambalaya

YZGI;1471596 wrote: Make yourself some Gumbo. Either Filet' Gumbo or okra gumbo if you like okra. I make mine a combo if everyone that is eating it likes okra. It's all in the roux.

I have made Seafood Gumbo before and loved It. I can't get on with Okra. My Turkish pals use It a lot In cooking and I really don't like It.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Jambalaya

gmc;1471583 wrote: Just use the cajun spices it's them that make the difference to the taste otherwise it's just stew by another name. You dipstick

Stew Is meat and potato's

Jambalaya Is a rice dish
Snowfire

Jambalaya

Post by Snowfire »

Oscar Namechange;1471610 wrote: You dipstick

Jambalaya Is a rice dish

You didnt expect a Scotsman to be knowledgeable about food that doesnt require a deep fat fryer, surely
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
gmc

Jambalaya

Post by gmc »

Oscar Namechange;1471610 wrote: You dipstick

Jambalaya Is a rice dish

Stew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A stew is a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy. Ingredients in a stew can include any combination of vegetables (such as carrots, potatoes, beans, peppers and tomatoes, etc.), meat, especially tougher meats suitable for slow-cooking, such as beef. Poultry, sausages, and seafood are also used. While water can be used as the stew-cooking liquid, wine, stock, and beer are also common. Seasoning and flavourings may also be added. Stews are typically cooked at a relatively low temperature (simmered, not boiled), allowing flavors to mingle.

Cajun chicken is just chicken cooked using certain spices just as curried chicken is chicken cooked using certain spices. It's not magic you know.

posted by larsmac

Shows what you know.

Next you'll be trying to tell me macdonalds invented the hamburger.

Jambalaya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's stew with rice added rather than cooked seperately.

I'm having haggis pizza for tea tomorrow yum yum. I suppose you'll al try to tell me it's not really pizza because the meat is from a haggis.

Culinary philistines the lot of you. Mind you my first taste of a pizza was a deep fried one was years before I axctually had a "proper" one.

You didnt expect a Scotsman to be knowledgeable about food that doesnt require a deep fat fryer, surely

Remember that next time you sit down with a glass of whisky and a bit of shortbread.
Oscar Namechange

Jambalaya

When I was In the States once, I had some Cajun sticky chicken and I can't find a decent recipe.

Love Haggis... With tats and Turnip.
kazalala

Jambalaya

Post by kazalala »

Cajun Chicken Casserole

Serves: 4

Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

608g chicken thigh fillets

2tsp cajun seasoning

1tbsp sunflower oil

1 red pepper

1 green pepper

1 can chopped tomatoes

175g frozen sweetcorn

Long grain rice

Recipe Steps

Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning over the chicken thigh fillets.

Gently heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish and brown the chicken on one side for 3 minutes.

Turn over, add the chopped peppers and cook for another 2 minutes.

Add the chopped tomatoes, season to taste and bring to a low simmer.

Cover the casserole dish and cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the sweetcorn for the last 5 minutes and serve immediately with rice.

Serving Suggestion

This dish tastes delicious with white fluffy rice.

Add one chopped chilli for more heat.

I got this recipe ages ago from asda site i think,, anyway ,, i add a bit of chicken stock as well for a bit more liquid ( or maybe a bit of passatta) and it is lovely with rice:)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

Jambalaya

I went by this one Kaz...

Cajun Jambalaya Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

I got the spice In the Turkish Deli
FourPart

Jambalaya

Post by FourPart »

I don't mind lightly seasoned food, but spices are an absolute no-no for me. Even the smell of them makes me feel ill & I've found that if I get too close to Cardamon seeds (? - little green pod thingies), I have a violent reaction, with painful tears stinging my eyes, and shortness of breath.

I far prefer supposedly 'bland' food, with far more subtle flavours which I can savour, not having had my taste buds burnt away.
Oscar Namechange

Jambalaya

FourPart;1471629 wrote: I don't mind lightly seasoned food, but spices are an absolute no-no for me. Even the smell of them makes me feel ill & I've found that if I get too close to Cardamon seeds (? - little green pod thingies), I have a violent reaction, with painful tears stinging my eyes, and shortness of breath.

I far prefer supposedly 'bland' food, with far more subtle flavours which I can savour, not having had my taste buds burnt away. Then I am your total opposite.

This Is my favourite store...Yes, It does have a Halal butcher Inside but we don't go In that area.... here you can buy spices that supermarkets have probably never heard of and cheap. I go here for my Scotch Bonnets, Star Anise, Cajun spices etc etc even Caribbean spices for Jerk chicken.

I don't like hot hot as In heat. I like spice, aroma, taste.

Istanbul Supermarket - Supermarkets in Bristol BS5 6NQ - 192.com
LarsMac

Jambalaya

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1471583 wrote: Just use the cajun spices it's them that make the difference to the taste otherwise it's just stew by another name.

gmc;1471613 wrote: Stew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cajun chicken is just chicken cooked using certain spices just as curried chicken is chicken cooked using certain spices. It's not magic you know.

posted by larsmac

Next you'll be trying to tell me macdonalds invented the hamburger.

Jambalaya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's stew with rice added rather than cooked seperately.

I'm having haggis pizza for tea tomorrow yum yum. I suppose you'll al try to tell me it's not really pizza because the meat is from a haggis.

Culinary philistines the lot of you. Mind you my first taste of a pizza was a deep fried one was years before I axctually had a "proper" one.

Remember that next time you sit down with a glass of whisky and a bit of shortbread.

FourPart;1471629 wrote: I don't mind lightly seasoned food, but spices are an absolute no-no for me. Even the smell of them makes me feel ill & I've found that if I get too close to Cardamon seeds (? - little green pod thingies), I have a violent reaction, with painful tears stinging my eyes, and shortness of breath.

I far prefer supposedly 'bland' food, with far more subtle flavours which I can savour, not having had my taste buds burnt away.

Oscar Namechange;1471631 wrote: Then I am your total opposite.

This Is my favourite store...Yes, It does have a Halal butcher Inside but we don't go In that area.... here you can buy spices that supermarkets have probably never heard of and cheap. I go here for my Scotch Bonnets, Star Anise, Cajun spices etc etc even Caribbean spices for Jerk chicken.

I don't like hot hot as In heat. I like spice, aroma, taste.

Istanbul Supermarket - Supermarkets in Bristol BS5 6NQ - 192.com

It is a long held, but incorrect notion that Cajun food must be spicy hot.

While much of the Cajun food found in popular eateries, these days, is spicy, seasoned with an overpowering collection of spices, the average Cajun actually prefers food with more subtle flavorings.

It is not so much about the spices, as the natural flavors of the food itself. Shrimp and Crawfish have a very delicate flavor and heavy spices quickly overwhelm them.
- DH Lawrence
kazalala

Jambalaya

Post by kazalala »

Oscar Namechange;1471627 wrote: I went by this one Kaz...

Cajun Jambalaya Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

I got the spice In the Turkish Deli

That looks lovely, I would definitely enjoy that :D Mine isnt a Jamblaya recipe but just a basic Cajun chicken recipe,, its lovely though and quick and easy to do,, and healthy to boot ;)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Snowfire

Jambalaya

Post by Snowfire »

LarsMac;1471633 wrote: It is a long held, but incorrect notion that Cajun food must be spicy hot.

Thats true of Indian food too. While much has a bit of heat and some can blow your head off, there are still plenty of dishes that are mild enough that my elderly mum would eat it ( her favourite happens to be Chicken Dhansak, which can be hot)

Personally, I'm not averse to a bit of sweating and nose running.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Jambalaya

kazalala;1471634 wrote: That looks lovely, I would definitely enjoy that :D Mine isnt a Jamblaya recipe but just a basic Cajun chicken recipe,, its lovely though and quick and easy to do,, and healthy to boot ;)

I found It similar to making Paella but I haven't made that so much of late after the stories In the media of what's been found In Morrison's fish. Things that shouldn't be there, being there. I must find a new shell fish outlet.
LarsMac

Jambalaya

Post by LarsMac »

Snowfire;1471645 wrote: Thats true of Indian food too. While much has a bit of heat and some can blow your head off, there are still plenty of dishes that are mild enough that my elderly mum would eat it ( her favourite happens to be Chicken Dhansak, which can be hot)

Personally, I'm not averse to a bit of sweating and nose running.

My Uncle Patrice told me the reason they came up with all the spicy seasoning goes back to the old days in the tropics, before men invented refrigerators. The Spice was needed to hide the taste of the meat beginning to spoil. We always ate fresh-caught, fresh-kilt critters when living with Uncle Patrice.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Jambalaya

Post by gmc »

Haggis pizza provides a new twist on a classic Burns Supper - Cosmo's Pizzas, family made since 1965

Had one tonight, nice.
kazalala

Jambalaya

Post by kazalala »

Oscar Namechange;1471649 wrote: I found It similar to making Paella but I haven't made that so much of late after the stories In the media of what's been found In Morrison's fish. Things that shouldn't be there, being there. I must find a new shell fish outlet.

I am within walking distance of a Morrisons, but never shop there:thinking:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

Jambalaya

kazalala;1471699 wrote: I am within walking distance of a Morrisons, but never shop there:thinking: I have quite a drive to my nearest but I've really been put off at some of the stories.

Aldi have started doing Lobster etc but I do like fresh Scallops. I'm now going to Sainsbury fish counter for them.

Man finds tongue-eating parasite in Morrisons fish supper - Telegraph
FourPart

Jambalaya

Post by FourPart »

Oscar Namechange;1471716 wrote: I have quite a drive to my nearest but I've really been put off at some of the stories.

Aldi have started doing Lobster etc but I do like fresh Scallops. I'm now going to Sainsbury fish counter for them.

I must admit I'm that into fish (apart from the occasional Haddock & Chips), but I don't really see what all the fuss it about. It's just part of the natural eco-circle. Personally, if anything, I'd find it's presence more reassuring, as it tends to indicate the lack of man's intervention. So, the parasite lives in the mouth & gills. Do you eat the mouth & gills?
Oscar Namechange

Jambalaya

FourPart;1471762 wrote: I must admit I'm that into fish (apart from the occasional Haddock & Chips), but I don't really see what all the fuss it about. It's just part of the natural eco-circle. Personally, if anything, I'd find it's presence more reassuring, as it tends to indicate the lack of man's intervention. So, the parasite lives in the mouth & gills. Do you eat the mouth & gills?

I don't care what part I eat.... I don't want that In It.
kazalala

Jambalaya

Post by kazalala »

Oscar Namechange;1471716 wrote: I have quite a drive to my nearest but I've really been put off at some of the stories.

:-3 says on the article they are not harmfu to humans ,,, still though:lips::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

Jambalaya

kazalala;1471800 wrote: :-3 says on the article they are not harmfu to humans ,,, still though:lips::wah:

Let's not take the risk In the first place eh ? Haha

Sainsbury have a good fish counter but sooo expensive especially white crab meat. That's what I liked about Morrison's. It was a good selection reasonably priced and they'd order something In for you.

Return to “General Chit Chat”