Personal use of ForumGarden's Administrator account

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
FG-administator

Post by FG-administator »

I am speaking here in my own right. I'm John Harris and I'm a member of ForumGarden. I'm also one of the two members with Administration rights, which enables me to keep the software and database running from day to day. Should anyone need to speak with me, my phone number is +44 7772 772935.

I find it quite uncomfortable to use the FG Admin account to make personal posts. This has been a long-standing issue. At one time I posted as spot and administered with the same account. That was challenged by some members so I retired spot, administered with the longstanding FG admin account and created Týr for personal posts. Týr was mothballed last year, spot is currently unable to post and I'm left with just the FG account.

Something needs to change but I'm not sure what. I'm quite sure the FG account should be returned to admin-only functions. Perhaps this thread might garner helpful advice.

☎|||||||||||

Who has a spare two minutes a day to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Your satisfactory is our goals
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FG;1471097 wrote: I am speaking here in my own right. I'm John Harris and I'm a member of ForumGarden. I'm also one of the two members with Administration rights, which enables me to keep the software and database running from day to day. Should anyone need to speak with me, my phone number is +44 7772 772935.

I find it quite uncomfortable to use the FG Admin account to make personal posts. This has been a long-standing issue. At one time I posted as spot and administered with the same account. That was challenged by some members so I retired spot, administered with the longstanding FG admin account and created Týr for personal posts. Týr was mothballed last year, spot is currently unable to post and I'm left with just the FG account.

Something needs to change but I'm not sure what. I'm quite sure the FG account should be returned to admin-only functions. Perhaps this thread might garner helpful advice.

Can we not resurrect the Spot account? Should be easy enough to do and would give us some continuity.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I can't really see where the problem lies. You just have two accounts. One is FG - admin. The other is Tyr (or whoever you decide to have as your 'domestic' site name). Neither will do the other's posts. It's either that or just remain Admin. FG , and just post as necessary as Administrator FG on administrator matters only. Simples !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

You must learn to wear two hats.......simple.

After a long day tinkering in the Forum Garden engine room, you should be able to take off your overalls wipe the oil from your hands and join in like a normal punter.

As a normal punter you should be liable to sanction from the team of moderators.

Your views, phrasing and assertiveness are not to everybody's taste, you must accept many people just don't 'get you'......sod em.

Open up another account and lets see how long before we suss out who you are........I give it three posts max.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FG-administator

Bruv;1471107 wrote: Open up another account and lets see how long before we suss out who you are........I give it three posts max.I'm reluctant to do this solely because, whenever I've had two accounts, I've occasionally inadvertently posted with the wrong one. I've then deleted and reposted but it's a frustration.

☎|||||||||||

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bryn Mawr;1471104 wrote: Can we not resurrect the Spot account? Should be easy enough to do and would give us some continuity.

I agree.
FG-administator

AnneBoleyn;1471109 wrote: I agree.

I fear spot is terminally sulking after failing to get his own way a while back. These avatars need a certain degree of autonomy if they're to be meaningful.

☎|||||||||||

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FG;1471108 wrote: I'm reluctant to do this solely because, whenever I've had two accounts, I've occasionally inadvertently posted with the wrong one. I've then deleted and reposted but it's a frustration.

Put your thinking head on when posting.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FG;1471111 wrote: I fear spot is terminally sulking after failing to get his own way a while back. These avatars need a certain degree of autonomy if they're to be meaningful.

Are we now talking of the same person using different accounts..............carefully ?

Wear two different hats like I said, like a policeman out of uniform down the pub...............are you not over complicating things ?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

FG;1471108 wrote: I'm reluctant to do this solely because, whenever I've had two accounts, I've occasionally inadvertently posted with the wrong one. I've then deleted and reposted but it's a frustration.
--AND--

"I fear spot is terminally sulking after failing to get his own way a while back. These avatars need a certain degree of autonomy if they're to be meaningful."

Spot should stop sulking, since he has committed the same offense as other people.......if you get my drift.............
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

All not confusing.

As FG you are admid and would not want to post commentary as an admid.

I get it, and it is all good and well.

Move on, choose the other you want to post as.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1471107 wrote:

Open up another account and lets see how long before we suss out who you are........I give it three posts max.

What makes you think he hasn't already done so?

My money's on Fuzzy.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1471126 wrote: What makes you think he hasn't already done so?

My money's on Fuzzy.

No way......Fuzzy is far too sophisticated
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oh Mr. Spot, you can be such a wuss at times. So perhaps sometimes you get yourself mixed up, well does that matter if you can delete and insert your proper site name for that particular post ? I'm not sure that there is any other way, tbh ! So you'll just have to 'gird up your loins', 'take the bull by the horns' , 'grit your teeth', 'man up', and just do it !!! You've had various suggestions posted, so if you are not going to take any notice of these suggestions, why the heck did you post this thread in the first place ?
FG-administator

I'm sure I'll take a selection of the suggestions. But possibly on my return rather before I depart.

☎|||||||||||

High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FG;1471097 wrote: I find it quite uncomfortable to use the FG Admin account to make personal posts. This has been a long-standing issue. At one time I posted as spot and administered with the same account. That was challenged by some members so I retired spot, administered with the longstanding FG admin account and created Týr for personal posts. Týr was mothballed last year, spot is currently unable to post and I'm left with just the FG account.

From a commoner's point of view, I don't see any problem. I've been to several forums and I know very well that there are demons, ghosts and trolls about, most who want to boost their fragile egos and cause mental havoc with whomever they disagree. I don't give a stuff. I choose my words as carefully as I can so I won't need to make too many apologies afterwards. Others don't care one way or the other. I deal with “bad guys” every day and so far no one has succeeded in pushing me off the edge of a tall building ….. and I've only once put someone on the “ignore list” because her personal abuse became too much of a burden to me. So, my advice is “Don't worry about it.” If someone gets so bent out because you have two different on-liners and you've already explained why that is …..... then what's the worry? You don't think everyone in the world is going to love you – do you?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I must admit that I've taken the easy way out - I did open an admin account for whenever I needed to step in in an official capacity but could never remember to use it because it's very rare that I do so. Nowadays I just post using this account and hope members will recognise the difference.

If y'all feel that separation of function is the way to go then I'll resurrect the FG_Admin account and make every effort to use it (which I really should do because I feel strongly that I'm a member first and admin only when I must).
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Bryn Mawr;1471170 wrote: ..... If y'all feel that separation of function is the way to go .....

I don't.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1471170 wrote: .....If y'all feel that separation of function is the way to go.......

Me neither.

(I'm more concerned that Tude has hijacked your account.)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1471177 wrote: Me neither.

(I'm more concerned that Tude has hijacked your account.)

:wah:

If the consensus amongst the active members?

Then again, I'm lazy :-)
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

One whole, I believe the majority of the FG users recognise the Status Quo & respect it accordingly. In the rare event of a breach of protocol we all know there is the potential of a big stick stowed away in the corner.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Bryn Mawr;1471170 wrote: I must admit that I've taken the easy way out - I did open an admin account for whenever I needed to step in in an official capacity but could never remember to use it because it's very rare that I do so. Nowadays I just post using this account and hope members will recognise the difference.

If y'all feel that separation of function is the way to go then I'll resurrect the FG_Admin account and make every effort to use it (which I really should do because I feel strongly that I'm a member first and admin only when I must).

I am admin on 2 sites and I do the same:) I just have my account and post 99% of the time as a member. I very rare have admin posts to make anyway :)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

kazalala;1471228 wrote: I am admin on 2 sites and I do the same:) I just have my account and post 99% of the time as a member. I very rare have admin posts to make anyway :)

My admin style is very much to have a word with an errant member by PM to try to sort a problem out without disrupting the rest of the board. If that fails then the next stage is a public slap on the wrist and if that is still ignored move on to escalating time outs leading to an outright ban (and I can only think of two of those since I took over the reigns).

The trouble with that is stage two which sits badly with using a single account and wanting to be a member first and admin only when necessary.

Disclaimer: As always, this is a general rule of thumb, not a proscriptive rule and serious cases can bypass any or all of the first three steps.
FG-administator

What I may do, then, is put this FG account back on the shelf and use just one account which can have background Admin access.

I'm reluctant to take Týr out of the cabinet and let him post again. For one thing, nobody can ever spell his name properly. For another, I'm not sure I cope well long-term with a God-avatar.

Working out a whole new persona at my time of life is stressful so perhaps spot might stage a comeback on the 6th of February, how's that.

☎|||||||||||

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FG;1471239 wrote: Working out a whole new persona at my time of life is stressful so perhaps spot might stage a comeback on the 6th of February, how's that.

Did Týr, spot and FG all have different persona's , I can't say as I noticed.
FG-administator

Bruv;1471246 wrote: Did Týr, spot and FG all have different persona's , I can't say as I noticed.

Good lord yes, spot goes out of his way to be friendly, neither of the others do.

☎|||||||||||

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FG;1471249 wrote: Good lord yes, spot goes out of his way to be friendly, neither of the others do.

We could check you.
FG-administator

Bruv;1471251 wrote: We could check you.

That game almost always ends with somebody mating. Kipling had the right answer, as usual.

☎|||||||||||

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FG;1471258 wrote: That game almost always ends with somebody mating. Kipling had the right answer, as usual.

You are a smoothie
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Bryn Mawr;1471236 wrote: My admin style is very much to have a word with an errant member by PM to try to sort a problem out without disrupting the rest of the board. If that fails then the next stage is a public slap on the wrist and if that is still ignored move on to escalating time outs leading to an outright ban (and I can only think of two of those since I took over the reigns).

The trouble with that is stage two which sits badly with using a single account and wanting to be a member first and admin only when necessary.

Disclaimer: As always, this is a general rule of thumb, not a proscriptive rule and serious cases can bypass any or all of the first three steps.
No one could get annoyed at you :) You make a good admin :)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

kazalala;1471278 wrote: No one could get annoyed at you :) You make a good admin :)

You're too late. I've already given him an apple.
FG-administator

Bruv;1471266 wrote: You are a smoothie

I'm often described by those who meet me as "kalos kai agathos" though I do point out to them I'm neither Greek nor youthful.

☎|||||||||||

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FG;1471288 wrote: I'm often described by those who meet me as "kalos kai agathos" though I do point out to them I'm neither Greek nor youthful.

You just managed to break Google
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1471290 wrote: You just managed to break Google

You need to use :-

καλος και αγαθος

Good and benign

Personally, I'll reserve comment :-p
FG-administator

Bryn Mawr;1471292 wrote: You need to use :-

καλος και αγαθος

Good and benign

There's a considered article at Kalos Kai Agathos

I was getting along quite happily with it until this impressive paragraph:When poets turn their poetry into a flood of whining and complaining about their personal unhappiness or their dissatisfaction with the state of the world, they are missing the whole point about the humanities. The liberal arts (of which poetry is one piece) are for the pleasure of the free. They aren’t an open mike for the complaints of the slaves. The arts allow a leisured elite that has been schooled in the appreciation of various manifestations of beauty to contemplate the icons that embody those manifestations.

Blimey.

☎|||||||||||

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FG;1471294 wrote: There's a considered article at Kalos Kai Agathos

I was getting along quite happily with it until this impressive paragraph:When poets turn their poetry into a flood of whining and complaining about their personal unhappiness or their dissatisfaction with the state of the world, they are missing the whole point about the humanities. The liberal arts (of which poetry is one piece) are for the pleasure of the free. They aren’t an open mike for the complaints of the slaves. The arts allow a leisured elite that has been schooled in the appreciation of various manifestations of beauty to contemplate the icons that embody those manifestations.

Blimey.

Ah, that would be the αρχαίος Greeks, it doesn't have quite the same ring in the νεος Greek
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1471292 wrote: You need to use :-

καλος και αγαθος

Good and benign

I shall bow to your inside knowledge.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FG;1471294 wrote: There's a considered article at Kalos Kai Agathos

Blimey.
Reflexive......extirpated.......apocopated form.....I give up.

And leave my limited lexicon alone.......blimey, leave me something I can call my own.
FG-administator

Bryn Mawr;1471298 wrote: αρχαίος
Is that real, or did you just transliterate?

☎|||||||||||

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It's all Greek to me.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

High Threshold;1471285 wrote: You're too late. I've already given him an apple.

Yes but you get your apples from Snow Whites stepmum:sneaky:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FG;1471312 wrote: Is that real, or did you just transliterate?

That's ancient in modern Greek - transliterated it's archeos where the ch is as the Scottish loch.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bryn Mawr;1471318 wrote: That's ancient in modern Greek - transliterated it's archeos where the ch is as the Scottish loch.

With emphasis on the lochness.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FG;1471258 wrote: That game almost always ends with somebody mating. Kipling had the right answer, as usual.

It's a funny thing but I didn't notice that anybody realised the connection between Bruv's 'we could check you' and FG's 'That game almost always ends with somebody mating.' I think there are very few members who play the noble game ! Perhaps they thought that FG was being suggestive ? Posts 27 and 28 (smirk)
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill;1471354 wrote: It's a funny thing but I didn't notice that anybody realised the connection between Bruv's 'we could check you' and FG's 'That game almost always ends with somebody mating.' I think there are very few members who play the noble game ! Perhaps they thought that FG was being suggestive ? Posts 27 and 28 (smirk)

I did get it.................but as my retort showed i was 'Mated' already
FG-administator

Bruv;1471301 wrote: apocopated form

I can't think of any difference between that and "truncated" except one's showing-off and the other's communicating. Academics in particular are prone to the showing-off style, it's very annoying. The reader slows down or gives up. I try hard to use simple words.

☎|||||||||||

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Then you must try harder.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Smh
FG-administator

YZGI;1471445 wrote: Smh

We evidently have at least one member who's hep to the jive. Bravo, that man. Way cool, daddio.

☎|||||||||||

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

FG;1471447 wrote: We evidently have at least one member who's hep to the jive. Bravo, that man. Way cool, daddio.

Right on

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”