Hip Hip Hooray. The U.S. Finally Seeks Full Normal Relations with Cuba!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss the latest political news.
AnneBoleyn

Hip Hip Hooray. The U.S. Finally Seeks Full Normal Relations with Cuba!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Finally I live to see this day. Obama's greatest achievement, IMO, since offing Bin Laden. Good for the legacy, good for the future, good for us, good for Cuba. Btw, if I haven't already, I predict one day Elian Gonzalez will head up the Cuban Government.

U.S. to Restore Full Relations With Cuba, Erasing a Last Trace of Cold War Hostility

"WASHINGTON — President Obama on Wednesday ordered the restoration of full diplomatic relations with Cuba and the opening of an embassy in Havana for the first time in more than a half-century as he vowed to “cut loose the shackles of the past” and sweep aside one of the last vestiges of the Cold War."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/world ... .html?_r=0

This is so 'about time!'
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Can't wait for the Cuban cigars.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Yeah, that's what Everyone is saying!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1469585 wrote: Yeah, that's what Everyone is saying!

It should also spike their economy. I bet they are on 24 hour a day cigar rolling just to get ready to ship over.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

YZGI;1469591 wrote: It should also spike their economy. I bet they are on 24 hour a day cigar rolling just to get ready to ship over.

I think that's their normal work schedule!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

YZGI;1469591 wrote: It should also spike their economy. I bet they are on 24 hour a day cigar rolling just to get ready to ship over.
On the other hand, it might damage it. When things are Black Market, the price becomes exponentially higher, so they'd probably have to make 20 now to equal the cost of just 1 previously.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Neat trick... use Cuba to deflect from the real problem.

Cold War 2.0: Irresponsibly Challenging Russia. Putin vs. Obama | Global Research
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Oscar Namechange;1469610 wrote: Neat trick... use Cuba to deflect from the real problem.

Cold War 2.0: Irresponsibly Challenging Russia. Putin vs. Obama | Global Research

Our embargo against Cuba was stupid & served no purpose. It was kept on to appease Cuban voters who have large populations in important states such as Florida & New Jersey. It was also very hypocritical, as we do business with far worse folks than the Cubans. This was a long time coming. It was also done with the aid of Pope Francis & part of Obama's message since the start. This has nothing to do with Putin, in fact, we have him where we want him now anyway, on the brink of recession, depression. Recognizing Cuba has been an issue for 50 years.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

From the link:

"Putin supports multi-world polarity. He believes national sovereignty is inviolable. He opposes imperial lawlessness.

He believes no nation has the right to interfere in the internal affairs of others.

Obama claims a divine right to wage war on humanity. To invent enemies when none exist.

To ravage one country after another. To control their resources. To exploit their people.

To achieve unchallenged global dominance. To risk humanity’s survival in the process."

That's just a load of hooey. Putin "believes no nation has the right to interfere in the internal affairs of others." HUH???????????

Obama: "Divine Right, Global Dominance" HUH????????????

Makes no sense, nope, no sense. The source appears blind to Putin & his methods. Deaf, dumb & blind. This source sounds like Pravda used to, like the Soviet Union.
Oscar Namechange

I support Putin wholeheartedly. Just wish our gutless politicians had one ounce of his resolve.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Oscar Namechange;1469614 wrote: I support Putin wholeheartedly. Just wish our gutless politicians had one ounce of his resolve.
Why doesn't that surprise me?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Oscar Namechange;1469614 wrote: I support Putin wholeheartedly. Just wish our gutless politicians had one ounce of his resolve.

That explains it then. It is your right to support whomever you wish. IMO, Putin is a thug & a bully & if he had it working right in Russia, there would not be so many emigres scattered throughout the world, especially in my neighborhood where he is universally hated. I do believe my neighborhood has most of them, but they are indeed everywhere. Russia is suffering from lack of population. You never hear of anyone risking their lives to get in.

eta--he has resolve, all right. He resolved to be a dictator, to never give up power, to subjugate others & has kept his resolve.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Been a while since I had a Cuban.

Been a while since I had a decent cigar, all the same.

Far as I am concerned, Honduran cigars are if not just as good, but better.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

tude dog;1469634 wrote: Been a while since I had a Cuban.

Been a while since I had a decent cigar, all the same.

Far as I am concerned, Honduran cigars are if not just as good, but better.

Hmm, I'll have to get me one. Thanks
Oscar Namechange

To be fair, It's good news...

I watched a doco about Cuba's advancements Into medical science one night. It's quite astonishing.

Cuba’s Advances in Biotech: A Developing Country with a Highly Developed Biotech Sector | IHS Healthcare and Pharma Blog
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

vvv
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

xxx
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Because he supports the Nationalists of Europe ?

Lookie Here
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1469647 wrote: xxx

& also: "vvv"

C'mon, lantzmann, you can say anything to me. Happy Chanukah.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

AnneBoleyn;1469619 wrote: That explains it then. It is your right to support whomever you wish. IMO, Putin is a thug & a bully & if he had it working right in Russia, there would not be so many emigres scattered throughout the world, especially in my neighborhood where he is universally hated. I do believe my neighborhood has most of them, but they are indeed everywhere. Russia is suffering from lack of population. You never hear of anyone risking their lives to get in.

eta--he has resolve, all right. He resolved to be a dictator, to never give up power, to subjugate others & has kept his resolve.
All the qualities that Oscar strives for.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

For the record, you can buy Cuban Cigars anywhere but the US for a very good price.

I usually bring home a few every time I go to Toronto or Montreal.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1469684 wrote: For the record, you can buy Cuban Cigars anywhere but the US for a very good price.

I usually bring home a few every time I go to Toronto or Montreal.

Yeah, I've had them on cruises and vacations.

Now if I could figure out what "vv" and "ww" mean?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1469619 wrote: That explains it then. It is your right to support whomever you wish. IMO, Putin is a thug & a bully & if he had it working right in Russia, there would not be so many emigres scattered throughout the world, especially in my neighborhood where he is universally hated. I do believe my neighborhood has most of them, but they are indeed everywhere. Russia is suffering from lack of population. You never hear of anyone risking their lives to get in.

It is your right to support whomever you wish. IMO, Castro is a thug & a bully & if he had it working right in Cuba, there would not be so many emigres scattered throughout the U.S. In my neighborhood where he is universally hated. They are indeed everywhere. Cuba, an island doesn’t suffer from lack of population. You never hear of anyone risking their lives to get in. Many have drowned trying to escape that island prison.

He has resolve, all right. He resolved to be a dictator, to never give up power, to subjugate others & has kept his resolve.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

YZGI;1469691 wrote: Now if I could figure out what "vv" and "ww" mean?

It is a secret code to my cohorts in Missouri when it is safe to smuggle cigarettes into NY City.

Inside New York City's Dangerous, Multimillion-Dollar Cigarette Black Market
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1469696 wrote: It is your right to support whomever you wish. IMO, Castro is a thug & a bully & if he had it working right in Cuba, there would not be so many emigres scattered throughout the U.S. In my neighborhood where he is universally hated. They are indeed everywhere. Cuba, an island doesn’t suffer from lack of population. You never hear of anyone risking their lives to get in. Many have drowned trying to escape that island prison.

He has resolve, all right. He resolved to be a dictator, to never give up power, to subjugate others & has kept his resolve.

I don't disagree; necessarily, BUT: We do have full diplomatic relations with Russia, with China; heck you know as well as I there are those who would include Israel. It's foolish to continue this with Cuba & I think it will help normalize them. The Castro boys are both in their eighties, they won't live forever. A point Obama made, btw, that this is "a Generational Move."
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1469715 wrote: I don't disagree; necessarily, BUT: We do have full diplomatic relations with Russia, with China; heck you know as well as I there are those who would include Israel.

Israel, Russia and China in one sentence.

AnneBoleyn;1469715 wrote: It's foolish to continue this with Cuba & I think it will help normalize them. The Castro boys are both in their eighties, they won't live forever. A point Obama made, btw, that this is "a Generational Move."

Dream on.

I just got done looking up just how many political prisoners in Cuba.

Problem isn't those behind bars, but the rest of the island.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1469698 wrote: It is a secret code to my cohorts in Missouri when it is safe to smuggle cigarettes into NY City.

Inside New York City's Dangerous, Multimillion-Dollar Cigarette Black Market

That's what happens in a Prohibition that Bloomberg set up. HOWEVER, it worked. Hardly anyone smokes here anymore, the Russians seem to smoke the most. There is a convenience store nearby that sells "loosies" @ 50 cents a cigarette & I usually think he is doing a favor.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

It doesn't matter your statistics, TD; look at China's statistics. And don't be naive, you know there are those who think of Israel as apartheid & we shouldn't be connected. Cuba is not worse than all the other corrupt criminals we do business with. This world is a sick joke it seems; don't worry, I ain't laughing.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

PS--I'm not backing down on being glad this step was taken. I am glad.

As an aside, Marco Rubio AND his LIES: His parents left Cuba in 1956, during the dictatorship of Batista. Living under Batista was really bad too, ask Ricky Ricardo, err Desi Arnaz, etc.

Castro originally came to US for aid, we refused him, the Soviet Union filled the vacuum. In the beginning this country Loved Castro. We should have been more far-sighted; as usual, like with Iraq, we were not.

It's time to get over this; if not, let's leave China behind. We won't.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

PS again, TD: "there would not be so many emigres scattered throughout the U.S. In my neighborhood where he is universally hated."

I'm flattered you used my words, but you are being disingenuous here. There are no Cubans in your neighborhood. The only Cuban you probably "know" is that liar, Marco Rubio.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1469652 wrote: & also: "vvv"

C'mon, lantzmann, you can say anything to me. Happy Chanukah.

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

That's some beautiful menorah! Thank you.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1469725 wrote: PS again, TD: "there would not be so many emigres scattered throughout the U.S. In my neighborhood where he is universally hated."

I'm flattered you used my words, but you are being disingenuous here. There are no Cubans in your neighborhood. The only Cuban you probably "know" is that liar, Marco Rubio.

To be sure, where I now live maybe one Hispanic family in a city of 120 pop.

You forget, I came here from California.

bookkoo Hispanics.

Last job I had in CA worked with a fellow who came over here during the Mariel boatlift.

He would talk about the struggle he had to send money, or whatever to feed family.

I have a nephew who married a gal whose parents came here from Cuba. Nephew and wife are pretty much apolitical. I don't push it, but they seem to be sucked in to the California, left wing progressive BS. I really wish to meet her parents to get their perspective.

Long story short, I do not have much connection to real live Cubans. In the meantime I struggle along with what information available.

Return to “Current Political Events”