council issue asbo to willy the cockerel.. the AA grumpy column

Fact is stranger than fiction.
AA grumpy

Post by AA grumpy »

..and dont forget to wash your hair..

oh hello i didnt see you there just bathing the grandchildren they,re staying at grumpy towers during the school holidays shall we go to my study and see what snippit i,ve managed to find tonight.

Set in the idyllic Derbyshire Dales, surrounded by countryside and views of the moor, a cockerel's call may not seem too unexpected.

But for one bird, his early morning wake-up calls have led to an ASBO.

The owners of William Welsummer, or Willy, the cockerel have been given a noise abatement notice to stop their bird making such a noise, after a complaint from a neighbour that he was waking him up too early.

Willy the cockerel has been waking neighbours up for three months at 4am and has now been given an ASBO

Willy the cockerel has been waking neighbours up for three months at 4am and has now been given an ASBO

The noisy cockerel lives on the farm belonging to Philip and Caroline Sutcliffe in Eyam along with the rest of the couple's birds.

They say other neighbours have never raised any problems with the bird.

Mr Sutcliffe said: 'It's all a bit ridiculous - a bird having an ASBO-type order. We've done everything we can and so far we've managed to reduce the noise, but not put a stop to it.

'Our neighbours have been living with the crows for three years since we moved here - and we consulted with them at the time to check it was okay The couple said they keep birds as a hobby.

The ASBO was given after Simon Bee, 51, complained to Derbyshire Dales District Council.

Mr and Mrs Sutcliffe have been given the winter to try and soundproof Willie's pen to stop noise complaints

Willy has been the subject of complaints by Simon Bee because of his regular 4am calls at the farm in Eyam

He said: 'This is not a farming community anymore. It's mainly tourism now and most of the people who live here are either retired or commuters.

'And the fact that Mr Sutcliffe has a field at the bottom of his garden does not make it a farm. I would not have moved in next to a farm, but this is a residential area.'

Mr Bee said he has been the subject of abuse since he made the complaint and it was made public.

He said: 'Firstly, I do not want to kill the cockerel -I want this to be resolved in a way that pleases everybody.

The Sutcliffes said they have never had any problems with people complaining about Willy's noise before

'But for three months I've been woken up every day at 4am and that's with double glazing. I work full-time and cannot cope without a proper nights' sleep.'

He claims in online criticism he has been called a 'townie' and is starting to fear for his safety.

But Mr Bee said that now the mornings are darker- and the problem is not so pronounced - he is happy to 'put the situation on ice' until spring to give Mr and Mrs Sutcliffe time to sound-proof William's pen.

Mr Sutcliffe said he welcomed Simon's compromise and vowed to resolve the issue.

Read more: Willy the cockerel slapped with an ASBO because he woke village neighbours at 4am every morning  | Daily Mail Online

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

AAG

what a CLUCKING ridiculous waste of tax payers money asbos for cockerels i,ve never heard anything so WILLY sorry silly in my life

if mr bee doesnt like the sounds of the countryside then he should FLY

off back to what ever town he came from.

but he didnt know what he was letting himself in for when he informed derbyshire dales council of the whole BUZZINESS

and now he,s turned CHICKEN because of the abuse he,s been getting

lets hope this can be resolved without any FOWL play because mr bee has got nothing to CROW about lets hope in future willy decides to BEEHIVE himself :yh_rotfl::yh_chickn:yh_hugs:yh_doh:yh_worshp
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Ridiculous... It's called life...
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It's very similar to a problem the choir's had with the bloke who lives next door to the Church Hall where we rehearse. Ever since he moved in he's been making complaints to the Council / Environmental Health about the noise levels - not only of the choir, but of the noise from the Church services.

It seems pretty much a no-brainer to me that if you're bothered by the noise of people singing, the last place you want to buy a house is right next door to a Church. The woman who lives on the other side, however, is of the opposite view. She's disabled & in Summer she likes to sit in her garden & gets us to leave the doors & windows open so she can listen to us.

Basically, it's like the woman in the clip said - if you don't like the sounds of the country, don't move to the country. Stay in the city & enjoy all the noise of the passing traffic instead.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

It's like me living next door to a Primary school and Nursery. I love hearing the children through the open windows playing In break time. Just the parent parking that I have an Issue with.

Yet, those who complain about the noise from the school.... errr move then,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AA grumpy

Post by AA grumpy »

i totally agree the local farmers had complaints about spreading sh*t on the field and not allowed to combine, plough or work the field after dark

if you dont like the sounds and smells of the countryside or agriculture then move back to your gridlock

exhaust fumes and town noise.

i am an ex townie who,s lived in the sticks for over 20 yrs and i love it
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

We kinda have the same thing. There is a farm just down the road where they raise sheep for wool. Every now and again the breeze wafts the aromas of sheep dung our way. Been like that for years. A few years ago, one of the neighboring farmers died, and his children sold out to developers who built a very nice suburban housing project. The new residents often complain of the smell.

Of course they also complain about the noise from the local airport that has been there since WWII, as well.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”