is there intellegent life in clacton the A.A grumpy column

Where our decade hasn't ended! Celebrate the Music, Culture, and Memories of our current times.
AA grumpy

Post by AA grumpy »

good evening and welcome along to another A.A grumpy column

now i know i usually post the column on tuesday , thursday and sunday evenings but this one was too good to pass up

A new Banksy mural showing a group of pigeons holding anti-immigration banners has been destroyed following a complaint the work was "racist".

The mural in Clacton-on-Sea - where a by-election is due to take place following the local MP's defection to UKIP - appeared this week.

It showed four pigeons holding signs including "Go Back to Africa", while a more exotic-looking bird looked on.

The local council, which removed it, said it did not know it was by Banksy.

Tendring District Council said it received a complaint that the mural was "offensive" and "racist".

The artist, who chooses to remain anonymous, posted pictures of the work on his website earlier.

But by the time it had been announced, the mural had already been removed due to the complaint received on Tuesday.

Nigel Brown, communications manager for the council, said: "The site was inspected by staff who agreed that it could be seen as offensive and it was removed this morning in line with our policy to remove this type of material within 48 hours.

"We would obviously welcome an appropriate Banksy original on any of our seafronts and would be delighted if he returned in the future."

Close up of destroyed Banksy work Banksy's artwork has a huge following and his pieces are sold for hundreds of thousands of pounds

A spokeswoman for Banksy said the artist would not be commenting further on the Clacton piece.

Banksy's work often makes political statements, covering subjects including global warming, wars, surveillance and poor working conditions.

In the past, his art has been cut from walls and sold for hundreds of thousands of pounds.

On 9 October, people will be voting in the Clacton by-election prompted by Douglas Carswell's defection from the Tories to UKIP.

AAG

what can i say that world famous elusive artist banksy comes to clacton does a piece of artwork and the council chemically remove it and all because someone plays the race card and screams racial prejudice.

personally i would have thought tendring council would have been proud and honoured to have a piece of banksy artwork worth around £100,000 on their walls or the fact that banksy had visited clacton in the first place.

was this anything to do with the coming by election or the tories trying to cover up the truth of immigration problem?

the council have made banksy an offer to come back to clacton and paint some more appropriate art work and if i were banksy i know what my answer would be and it ends in OFF!!

or are they so uneducated in clacton they cannot recognise a piece of banksy artwork
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Link???
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

The link for Andy

BBC News - Banksy anti-immigration birds mural in Clacton-on-Sea destroyed

Of course, maybe the birds are just complaining about those pesky Canadian Geese coming over here, nicking all their worms.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I did try but could not find out who owned the wall. I assume because the decision to erase that graffiti was made by the Tendring District Council, it was some sort of publicly owned building.

I dunno how things work over there, but here once you approve one act of vandalism based on The local council, which removed it, said it did not know it was by Banksy.

On what basis does the council now disapprove of another's work which may wildly differ from that Bansky guy?

Do the walls of Clacton-on-Sea become a battleground of vandals with differing views and spray cans running amok panting the walls?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I heard about it on the news & found it rather comical. When I actually saw the article & a picture of the work concerned I found it even more comical as my interpretation of the picture (and, when all said & done, that's what Art is all about) is that far from being Racist, in itself, it is making fun OF Racists.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

FourPart;1465574 wrote: I heard about it on the news & found it rather comical. When I actually saw the article & a picture of the work concerned I found it even more comical as my interpretation of the picture (and, when all said & done, that's what Art is all about) is that far from being Racist, in itself, it is making fun OF Racists.

I had that take on it too, dull black birds mocking the beautiful colourful bird. Jealousy??
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1465573 wrote: I did try but could not find out who owned the wall. I assume because the decision to erase that graffiti was made by the Tendring District Council, it was some sort of publicly owned building.

I dunno how things work over there, but here once you approve one act of vandalism based on The local council, which removed it, said it did not know it was by Banksy.

On what basis does the council now disapprove of another's work which may wildly differ from that Bansky guy?

Do the walls of Clacton-on-Sea become a battleground of vandals with differing views and spray cans running amok panting the walls?

I think it is all a conspiracy.

A famous, infamous, graffiti artist which on the face of it is a contradiction, in that one mans graffiti is another mans vandalism.

This anonymous famous artists, another contradiction, work/vandalism is removed from buildings and sold for large sums, and yet nobody really knows if they are really his work.

Perhaps I am missing something here, I do know that the work he is credited with is thought provoking and original.

Take a Look
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I see "True Graffiti" as being a legitimate at form. However, this is not to be confused with 'tagging', which is nothing more than plain vandalism. The same can be said when any sort of Graffiti is made in inappropriate areas. However, when you get the regions which are dull, characterless, slums, or bordering on slums, then proper, artistic graffiti can improve the appearance of that area. As we've all seen, many of the walls that have been emblazoned with multi colour designs can often be extremely skilled works & are far better to look at than a plain concrete wall.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

There's been a council meeting in Clacton. The decision to remove the Banksy hasn't gone down well

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1465590 wrote: I see "True Graffiti" as being a legitimate at form. However, this is not to be confused with 'tagging', which is nothing more than plain vandalism. The same can be said when any sort of Graffiti is made in inappropriate areas. However, when you get the regions which are dull, characterless, slums, or bordering on slums, then proper, artistic graffiti can improve the appearance of that area. As we've all seen, many of the walls that have been emblazoned with multi colour designs can often be extremely skilled works & are far better to look at than a plain concrete wall.

Definitely!

" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.

Return to “Our Current Decade”