China confirms avian flu in pigs, but clarification needed

Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Aug 24, 2004 (CIDRAP News) – Chinese health officials confirmed yesterday that H5N1 avian influenza had been found in pigs there in 2003 but says no such findings have occurred in 2004. They also stated that the occurrence had been made public earlier in the year, although the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) says there has been no official report of the disease in pigs.

The Chinese ministry of agriculture in a press release stated that, spurred by the widespread outbreaks of avian flu in Asia earlier this year, they have tested 1.1 million samples from poultry and some samples from pigs and that no H5N1 has been found in pigs, Chinese news agency Xinhau reported. The agency said also that the 2003 finding of the virus in pigs had been made public earlier this year. It turns out that an article reporting the findings appeared in the January issue of the Chinese Journal of Preventive Veterinary Science and another in the May issue. The latter reported that the virus was found in April 2003 in pigs at four locations near the east coast of China. The articles are in Chinese; translation for FAO and the World Health Organization (WHO) is under way.

Confusion began when a prominent Chinese avian influenza expert, Chen Hualan, an author of the two studies, said in a presentation at an international meeting late last week that the H5N1 virus had been found in pigs in China in both 2003 and 2004, to the surprise of WHO and FAO officials who were not aware of this. A New York Times story says a press official of the Chinese health ministry was likewise surprised when told later of the expert's comments and that he said his office had no information on the subject. It is unclear whether Chen's remarks had been officially authorized.

The state-run Beijing Times ran a story today saying that Chen, after several days of silence, called the amount of avian flu virus in the pigs "extremely small," with the probability of isolating H5N1 from the animals "less than one in a thousand," according to an AFP story. The story also stated that an unnamed spokesperson for the ministry of agriculture said "some experts' remarks" were at odds with the government's view of events.

FAO official Juan Lubroth said several details about the cases in pigs, including whether the animals in which H5N1 was found became sick, are crucial, the New York Times story says. If the pigs did not become ill, he explained, they would be harder to detect and quarantine or destroy, although this might also indicate that the virus had lost some of its potency. The WHO in a statement on its Web site points out the importance of comparing the H5N1 isolated from pigs with the strain isolated from poultry to determine whether the virus was passed directly from poultry to pigs. Shigeru Omi, WHO regional director for the Western Pacific, told AFP that "We have asked [Chinese officials] for information, but so far there have been no additional details. Overall the Chinese government has been cooperative and I hope they will remain so."

In other developments, the state-run Thai News Agency reported the August death of a dozen pigs in a northern province, according to a Xinhau story. The animals reportedly had symptoms of coughing, breathing difficulty, and swelling eyes. Chickens on the same farm had died earlier of avian flu, the story says. This report has not been confirmed.

In Malaysia, the recent outbreak of avian flu in poultry appears to be restricted to the small village in the northern state of Kelantan where it was confirmed last week, according to the health ministry there. Testing of birds within a 6-mile radius of the village continues, however, and all humans newly suspected of having the disease, including a veterinarian and her three children, have been cleared, according to Reuters. The European Union extended its ban on bird products from several other Asian nations to include Malaysia yesterday, however, and said its ban will stay in force through at least Dec 15, an EU Business story says. Malaysia has been commended by WHO for its prompt action in containing the outbreak.

In Viet Nam, 10 of the 11 provinces with re-emergent avian influenza earlier this summer have been free of any new outbreak for 21 days, allowing them to declare themselves free of the disease, according to the Vietnam News Agency. The country will continue to inspect imports and exports of poultry and poultry products and will inspect poultry breeding farms near earlier outbreaks.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
jhon

Post by jhon »

Both a cold and the flu are viral infections that cause similar symptoms

such as coughing and sore throat. Here’s the difference. A cold is only a minor viral infection of the nose and throat, while the flu, on the other hand, is usually more severe, with symptoms that include the sudden onset of high fever and the addition of aches and pains. Tamiflu is a medicine to treat flu infection caused by influenza virus. It belongs to a group of medicines called neuraminidase inhibitors. These medications attack the influenza virus and prevent it from spreading inside your body.

Relenza dosage treats flu at its source by attacking the virus that causes the flu, rather than simply masking symptoms

There are certain types of flu whuch can be caused by birds and this is know as bird flu..

drugdelivery.ca( plz this is site --where u could get more information about bird flu)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Hi Jhon & welcome.

Are you taking any precautions against avian flu?
venus

Post by venus »

Now l have to say this disease scares the pants off a me!!

The fact that it is also heading closer and closer to Britain scares the knickers off a me!!!

Im just glad lm veggie, but the news that it may ne mutating is shudderingly scary.

I think the fellas in this house will be on a no bird diet for a long time, just in case...:-3
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
venus

Post by venus »

Seriously guys if ever there was a time to try out vegetarianism:-3
abbey

Post by abbey »

venus wrote: Now l have to say this disease scares the pants off a me!!

The fact that it is also heading closer and closer to Britain scares the knickers off a me!!!

Im just glad lm veggie, but the news that it may ne mutating is shudderingly scary.

I think the fellas in this house will be on a no bird diet for a long time, just in case...:-3Dont know if i'm right or not but i'm sure that you can catch it from people that are infected, so it does'nt matter if you're veggie or not.

The scarey thing is, people are dying from it in Turkey,(add pun here .) its getting too close for comfort!
venus

Post by venus »

my point also its getting damn close..

Ive been watching the news and they said yesterday that it may...MAY be mutating...

What the hell kind of info is may..

I also found hte Turkey link most amusing...
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

venus wrote: Now l have to say this disease scares the pants off a me!!

[...]
Where's my camera?!?

:yh_drool
venus

Post by venus »

Where's my camera?!? trust you ACC

Attached files
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

venus wrote: Where's my camera?!? trust you ACCDammit! She figured me out.
tedhutchinson

Post by tedhutchinson »

venus wrote: Seriously guys if ever there was a time to try out vegetarianism:-3I suppose this would be an alternative for those who don't cook their meat but I prefer to and am happy with the knowledge that cooked virus's aren't infectous any more. In fact you would have to handle or be sufficiently close to an infected animal for it to breathe over you in order to acquire flu from it.

I haven't yet stayed anywhere where pigs and chickens either alive or dead are staying in the same property and providing they are cooked when I come into contact with them I will remain happy.

I am also pleased to point out to anyone who hasn't yet worked it out that flu of any kind only infects those whose immune system is low. It only has severe consequences in those whose auto-immune system is out of control. We all know that the time of year epidemics happen is when there is a large population of vulnerable people waiting to be infected. This happens during the winter when people don't get sufficient exposure to sunlight as this creates vitamin d3 cholecalciferol in the skin and this regulates our immune system and autoimmune response. So if you are worried about getting flu the simple solution is to boost your vitamin D levels to those you would normally have in the Summer, when flu doesn't spread. For those in the USA

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20041016/bob9.asp

will tell you what is enough Vitamin D3 cholecalciferol. For others living north of the USA a higher amount of up to 4000iu will be sufficient. When Avian flu gets close if you were worried about your vitamin d status you could take a mega-dose of 50,000iu (125 400iu tablets if you can't find the 50 1000iu ones) however as http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pediatrics/ ... n/tb1/2404

we know that men with low level of vitamin d have a 70% higher incidence rate of prostate cancer compared with men whose vitamin D levels were higher and women in the lowest quartile of serum vitamin D had five times the risk of breast cancer compared with women in the highest quartile I think it would be wise to remember that evolution created humans who lived outside without clothes and naturally our bodies were designed to cope best with daily exposure to sunlight, if because of the potential for melanoma you prefer to stay indoors then you must either face the adverse consequences to your health or use supplemental vitamin d3 cholecalciferol in sufficient amounts to replace your daily usage.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”