Right to Farm ?

Bruv

Right to Farm ?

Post by Bruv »

Michigan Loses ‘Right To Farm’ This Week: A Farewell To Backyard Chickens and Beekeepers

But seriously who might this affect ?

The householder keeping chickens to feed his growing family, or small scale organic farms for local supply?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Saint_

Right to Farm ?

Post by Saint_ »

They can have my chickens when they pry them from my cold, dead hands!
FourPart

Right to Farm ?

Post by FourPart »

The Right to Farm Act was created in 1981 to protect farmers from the complaints of people from the city who moved to the country and then attempted to make it more urban with anti-farming ordinances. The new changes affect residents of rural Michigan too. It is not simply an urban or suburban concern.
As I understand this, it is not, as the item seem to be trying to make out, a matter of stopping inner city people from keeping chickens, etc. Quite the opposite. It looks like it's to do with the removal of protection for larger farms. They were the ones that were being threatened by 'immigrants' from the cities turning valuable farming land into concrete jungles.
tude dog

Right to Farm ?

Post by tude dog »

I remember as a child we moved to a new area of suburban growth into dairy country. If the smell of cow manure bothered you, that is not the place to be. Agricultural business is often smelly and dirty.

Rural Neighbors and the Right to Farm

Before you build your dream house in the country, thoroughly investigate the surroundings.

During the last several decades, more and more city people have migrated to rural areas to pursue their modern American dreams. They seek a peaceful place in the country, away from the noise and crime of cities. Many choose homes in modest (or not so modest) subdivisions that press into formerly agricultural lands.

This intrusion of urban life into rural life results in an inevitable conflict. How surprised some neighbors are to wake up one spring morning to roaring machinery, buzzing flies, the stench of manure and a mist of pesticides in the air. And how angry many become when they learn that they can't do anything about it.

The Legal 'Right to Farm'

States now give farmers a basic "right to farm" without the fear of lawsuits brought by offended neighbors. As one judge remarked while dismissing a lawsuit against a hog farmer, "pork production generates odors which cannot be prevented, and so long as the human race consumes pork, someone must tolerate the smell."

Before the right-to-farm laws were enacted (most of them in the 1980s), courts shut down many a farmer's operation because it was a nuisance to the neighbors. For example, a group of annoyed neighbors, whose homes had sprung up around a Massachusetts hog farm, sued and closed it in 1963.

Sniff Before You Leap

Before you build your dream house in the country, thoroughly investigate the surroundings. That lovely wooded hillside you see from your window may be all that stands between you and a cattle feedlot. If all is well when you visit in February, remember that the scene may look (and smell) quite different in the heat of August. Do not assume because a new subdivision will be large, beautiful and expensive, farming operations may not be a problem. Use your head and do some checking on your own.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
FourPart

Right to Farm ?

Post by FourPart »

I think countryside & the natural smell of manure have a lovely smell. Just like the shore here. When the tide goes out there is the smell of rotting weed & bacteria which gives off that delightful seaside aroma.
Bruv

Right to Farm ?

Post by Bruv »

I was brought up in the suburbs of London.

We reared chicken and rabbits for eggs and meat, any living thing creates waste, waste smells, but made marvelous manure for our runner beans and tomatoes.

We never had any complaints as far as I remember.

If you move to the country amongst cattle, sheep, pigs, with muck spreading onto ploughed soil, I don't think it within your right to complain.

If I was living in the middle of a town and my neighbour started breeding goats along with chickens and the cockrel woke me daily........it's a different story.
Bruv

Right to Farm ?

Post by Bruv »

An Atwater woman has filed a formal complaint against the Atwater Police Chief for trespassing on her property and killing her young son’s pet chicken – leaving the hen’s decapitated head just feet from the backyard chicken coop.

Un bloody believable.
FourPart

Right to Farm ?

Post by FourPart »

Right, that's it. Time for the chickens to riot & set light to each other's coops in a protest at the murderous cops brutality to an unarmed member of an oppressed galliforme minority group.

I notice there wasn't any mention of what colour the chicken was.

Return to “Social Human Rights”