Guess who's coming for dinner

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Sat back and watched this classic this afternoon. I was sure I had seen it before but I clearly hadn't.

It must have made quite an impact back in the day (1967) I love Hepburn and Tracy anyway but I loved the film and even teared up at Spencer Tracy's speech at the end.

They dont make 'em like that any more
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
theia

Post by theia »

Snowfire;1461295 wrote: Sat back and watched this classic this afternoon. I was sure I had seen it before but I clearly hadn't.

It must have made quite an impact back in the day (1967) I love Hepburn and Tracy anyway but I loved the film and even teared up at Spencer Tracy's speech at the end.

They dont make 'em like that any more

I don't think I've seen it but isn't it good when you watch an old film that really enchants you?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

It was also quite poignant in that Spencer Tracy died just a few weeks after the film was finished
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I know I have seen it and if I remember right, it's about the arrival of a black boyfriend, no car chases, no murders, no daring do, just a clever plot and brilliant acting........wish I had recorded it now.

And no they just don't make em like that anymore.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I prefer the old B&W films. The didn't have all the bells & whistles of CGI & the like and had to rely on the quality of the script.

I frequently Multi-Task while 'watching' a film, doing a Puzzle Book or something at the same time. With a modern film it's all Visual & Sound effects, with just a bit of acting for continuity between the Special Effects scenes. An old B&W movie can be more like a Radio Play (another thing I like, incidentally).
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I saw it originally at a drive in theater in Boulder, Colorado. It says something about my parents that they made sure that my little sister and I, both less than ten years old, sit quietly and watch the movie.

Then, later, we all discussed its implications and meaning for a month at the dinner table where we ate as a family.

Later, when I was ten and we took in flower children from the street to give them safe haven ( and made sure they ate well, continued school, and got jobs) I guess I should have seen the connection to that movie and Rae Jean Kelly. She was a teen runaway we took in who was dating an African American man.

I sometimes lament for the narrow-minded, racist, neocons that I know who have missed the boat on the entire message of the twentieth century. But perhaps they never had the advantage of tolerant, intelligent, and wise parents. Thank the Good Lord I did. Literally...since I'm adopted.

What happened to Rae Jean? That's another story....

(hint: search "My ghost story" )

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”