Betty Boop.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
jones jones

Betty Boop.

Post by jones jones »

Hey ... I don't know anything about Ms Boop ... the member/moderator here on FG. But being a 1920s freak I find Betty Boop, the cartoon caricature soooooooooooo sexy and desirable.

I wonder if our Ms Boop is the same?

My guess is yes and then some! :-4
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bruv

Betty Boop.

Post by Bruv »

You should hear what she thinks about you.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Týr

Betty Boop.

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1458447 wrote: You should hear what she thinks about you.

I don't imagine that's going to happen.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Bruv

Betty Boop.

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1458452 wrote: I don't imagine that's going to happen.

We are.......after all......talking to somebody that.....and I quote...finds a cartoon "soooooooooooo sexy and desirable."
jones jones

Betty Boop.

Post by jones jones »

Dit is amper die moite wert om verban te word so lank ek die twee groot konte can se watter poeste hulle is!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bruv

Betty Boop.

Post by Bruv »

Go wash your filthy mouth out
Bruv

Betty Boop.

Post by Bruv »

jones jones;1458459 wrote: Dit is amper die moite wert om verban te word so lank ek die twee groot konte can se watter poeste hulle is!

After a lot of consideration and soul searching, I thought I would quote this post so it would not 'disappear mysteriously'

I would strongly advise not to translate it's content if you are of a sensitive nature.
AnneBoleyn

Betty Boop.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I translated it & still don't understand it.
Bruv

Betty Boop.

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1458526 wrote: I translated it & still don't understand it.

That is to your credit.
Snowfire

Betty Boop.

Post by Snowfire »

jones jones;1458459 wrote: Dit is amper die moite wert om verban te word so lank ek die twee groot konte can se watter poeste hulle is!

Is there reason or purpose to this post ?

Is there a necessity for it ? It's generally accepted that this is an English speaking Forum so hiding behind foreign language doesnt negate its abusive nature
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

Betty Boop.

Post by G#Gill »

Jj please don't say such things - some folk can understand Afrikaans ................... and there are many guests reading, including children no doubt. I'm so surprised that you felt you had to say such a thing, even in another language. I can sympathise with how you feel, but cannot agree with you actually putting your feelings into words of this nature.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Betty Boop.

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1458522 wrote: After a lot of consideration and soul searching, I thought I would quote this post so it would not 'disappear mysteriously'

I would strongly advise not to translate it's content if you are of a sensitive nature.

The trouble is, Bruv, that there are readers who have knowledge of Afrikaans so it's no good advising not to translate - it's already been read and those readers will know what has been written. I always thought that there was a punishment of some sort if a member posted in a language other than English ????
Bruv

Betty Boop.

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill;1458572 wrote: The trouble is, Bruv, that there are readers who have knowledge of Afrikaans so it's no good advising not to translate - it's already been read and those readers will know what has been written. I always thought that there was a punishment of some sort if a member posted in a language other than English ????

You might or might not know that I and the self nominated Chosen One have history.

I don't like the guys pomposity, his ego, and his........general attitude.

I am guilty of teasing him, nothing of a malicious nature as far as I am concerned, my sense of humour might not translate well in the written word, but nothing to deserve such maniacal ranting, I am seriously concerned for the guy's wellbeing.
G#Gill

Betty Boop.

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1458577 wrote: You might or might not know that I and the self nominated Chosen One have history.

I am guilty of teasing him, nothing of a malicious nature as far as I am concerned, my sense of humour might not translate well in the written word, but nothing to deserve such maniacal ranting, I am seriously concerned for the guy's wellbeing.

Oh well, Bruv, it looks as if he's gorn on 'oliday for a while, :driving: so maybe you'll get a little peace from that direction ;) Not sure how long for though ! :yh_nailbi:yh_whistl
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bruv;1458577 wrote: You might or might not know that I and the self nominated Chosen One have history.

You think ?

So do you think It's down to this one thread that he lost It ?

If you really can't see further than this thread, then It's your wellbeing I would question.

Drip drip drip drip drip... pointless, meaningless asinine comments In every thread he writes whatever the subject over months and months and months.

Pointless, , meaningless, asinine comments that get Ignored because ' oh good old Bruv's just having a laugh and It's just teasing... no It's not..... It's trolling. JJ's the one at fault because he doesn't get the humour? .... wrong !!

Yet Ironically, It was YOU who didn't get JJ's humour when he said he found the character desirable.

There used to be a decent code of conduct here where If we had nothing to say on a subject and nothing to offer, out of respect for the poster, we stayed out.

If you don't like his pomposity, his ego, and his general attitude, then why on earth enter every damn thread he posts? You may think It's harmless teasing but how would you feel If he made asinine comments nothing to do with the topic In everything you posted? I suspect he'd be hauled over the coals for trolling.

Worse, when you do go Into his threads, the moment you go In, the sheep follow and that chummy, Is gang mentality.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Betty Boop.

Post by Bruv »

In every damn thread ????

Dont be so ridiculous.......

Never 'Ganged' up on anybody in my life.

The explosive reply was not aimed at me alone.

What about the self responsibility you extol in the wonga thread?

"Yet Ironically, It was YOU who didn't get JJ's humour when he said he found the character desirable."

Ironically you often times don't 'Get' the the sub script.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop.

Bruv;1458955 wrote: In every damn thread ????

Dont be so ridiculous.......

Never 'Ganged' up on anybody in my life.

The explosive reply was not aimed at me alone.

What about the self responsibility you extol in the wonga thread?

"Yet Ironically, It was YOU who didn't get JJ's humour when he said he found the character desirable."

Ironically you often times don't 'Get' the the sub script.
You yourself don't start the gang mentality but very often once one has posted a post taking the piss, others will follow...then that's the thread trashed... that becomes time after time.... that's how gang mentality Is formed. You don't have to be part of gang mentality but you can be the catalyst that Is the first link In the chain.

You say you're guilty of teasing him and then go on to say you don't like the guy's pomposity, his ego and general attitude. The two do not go hand In hand.

To tease someone Is In the main out of affection. I tease some members here because I am fond of them. You are not fond of the guy, you have stated that quite clearly and that's why your posts In his threads can't be viewed as ' teasing'...
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
High Threshold

Betty Boop.

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1458572 wrote: I always thought that there was a punishment of some sort if a member posted in a language other than English ????

Ask, and you will receive.
Bruv

Betty Boop.

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Namechange;1458962 wrote: You yourself don't start the gang mentality but very often once one has posted a post taking the piss, others will follow...then that's the thread trashed... that becomes time after time.... that's how gang mentality Is formed. You don't have to be part of gang mentality but you can be the catalyst that Is the first link In the chain.

You say you're guilty of teasing him and then go on to say you don't like the guy's pomposity, his ego and general attitude. The two do not go hand In hand.

To tease someone Is In the main out of affection. I tease some members here because I am fond of them. You are not fond of the guy, you have stated that quite clearly and that's why your posts In his threads can't be viewed as ' teasing'...

With all due respect, I don't want to argue the toss with you.............not about this topic.

You can construe that anyway you wish.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop.

Bruv;1458970 wrote: With all due respect, I don't want to argue the toss with you.............not about this topic.

You can construe that anyway you wish.
No problem Goldilocks....

See... I'm teasing In an affectionate type kind of sort of way.

Just don't come sniffing around Peter Lake's farm

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
LarsMac

Betty Boop.

Post by LarsMac »

Oscar Namechange;1458946 wrote: You think ?

So do you think It's down to this one thread that he lost It ?

If you really can't see further than this thread, then It's your wellbeing I would question.

Drip drip drip drip drip... pointless, meaningless asinine comments In every thread he writes whatever the subject over months and months and months.

Pointless, , meaningless, asinine comments that get Ignored because ' oh good old Bruv's just having a laugh and It's just teasing... no It's not..... It's trolling. JJ's the one at fault because he doesn't get the humour? .... wrong !!

Yet Ironically, It was YOU who didn't get JJ's humour when he said he found the character desirable.

There used to be a decent code of conduct here where If we had nothing to say on a subject and nothing to offer, out of respect for the poster, we stayed out.

If you don't like his pomposity, his ego, and his general attitude, then why on earth enter every damn thread he posts? You may think It's harmless teasing but how would you feel If he made asinine comments nothing to do with the topic In everything you posted? I suspect he'd be hauled over the coals for trolling.

Worse, when you do go Into his threads, the moment you go In, the sheep follow and that chummy, Is gang mentality.

Point of order here.

When you post a thread on a forum, it is not "Your thread".

It is a public statement, in a public environment. Just like saying something out loud at the Pub, or on the train, or wherever.

And, like any other public environment, anyone who hears what you said has every right to reply in any way they see fit.

If you don't like what someone has to say, you can either choose to ignore them, or reply as you see fit.

Being offended is a choice you make.

Philosophtly: "Offended" is a choice you make
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Betty Boop.

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1458988 wrote: Being offended is a choice you make.

I haven't clicked on your link yet - but I will now. I do want to say that I agree wholeheartedly with this philosophy, well for the most part. People who don't like my opinion sometimes slander my country thinking it will enrage me, though I have no idea how that would make anyone be pleased with themselves. It must be one of those patriotic things. But that sort of slander doesn't phase me, not in the way it is intended. I think its funny and I feel sorry for my would-be antagonists who don't see how silly and childish they are being. :)
AnneBoleyn

Betty Boop.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Why you, you Snuskhummer, you! Dra åt skogen!!

So there.
LarsMac

Betty Boop.

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1458994 wrote: I haven't clicked on your link yet - but I will now. I do want to say that I agree wholeheartedly with this philosophy, well for the most part. People who don't like my opinion sometimes slander my country thinking it will enrage me, though I have no idea how that would make anyone be pleased with themselves. It must be one of those patriotic things. But that sort of slander doesn't phase me, not in the way it is intended. I think its funny and I feel sorry for my would-be antagonists who don't see how silly and childish they are being. :)

Why (and maybe more importantly, how) would someone slander Sweden.

Other than that Dragon Tattoo thingy a few years back, y'all haven't really done a lot worthy of complaint since your last tiff with Norway, back in the early 1800s. :p
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Betty Boop.

Post by High Threshold »

AnneBoleyn;1458996 wrote: Why you, you Snuskhummer, you! Dra åt skogen!!

Now you've crossed the line!!! I am now furious beyond anything you've ever witnessed in your life and you shall now experience the full rage of my Viking ancestors! :yh_angry:yh_ghost:yh_angry Grrrrrrr!
AnneBoleyn

Betty Boop.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

High Threshold;1459003 wrote: Now you've crossed the line!!! I am now furious beyond anything you've ever witnessed in your life and you shall now experience the full rage of my Viking ancestors! :yh_angry:yh_ghost:yh_angry Grrrrrrr!

Cool! :-D
High Threshold

Betty Boop.

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1458999 wrote: ...... y'all haven't really done a lot worthy of complaint since your last tiff with Norway, back in the early 1800s. :p

I wish that were true, but if that's the latest update you've recieved then let's leave it at that. Yep, 200 years without a single infraction! :yh_liar
LarsMac

Betty Boop.

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1459005 wrote: I wish that were true, but if that's the latest update you've recieved then let's leave it at that. Yep, 200 years without a single infraction! :yh_liar

Actually, I know about those other things. Katanga and Bosnia, and Libya and you even sent guys to Afghanistan. But at least your guys are doing selfies of abusing prisoners and pissin on dead ragheads.

Y'all seem much more civilized than us yanks. Sometimes I'm envious.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Betty Boop.

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1458999 wrote: Why (and maybe more importantly, how) would someone slander Sweden.

Other than that Dragon Tattoo thingy a few years back, y'all haven't really done a lot worthy of complaint since your last tiff with Norway, back in the early 1800s. :p
What about all those stinking Scandinavian Vikings coming over here ravaging our women & looting everything in their wake? Pah!!!
High Threshold

Betty Boop.

Post by High Threshold »

LarsMac;1459006 wrote: Y'all seem much more civilized than us yanks. Sometimes I'm envious.

Don't let it get you down. We've been at it a few thousands years longer than you have. Look at it this way, you don't have to go through the period of anchoring just off-shore in the "bay" ("vik" from which my more brutal ancestors derive their name) intimidating the local, coastal populations before final going ashore and bonking people on the head with knobby clubs!
High Threshold

Betty Boop.

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1459009 wrote: What about all those stinking Scandinavian Vikings coming over here ravaging our women & looting everything in their wake? Pah!!!

Take a closer look at many of the surnames and geographical place-names in Britain ........ we integrated!
FourPart

Betty Boop.

Post by FourPart »

Exactly - we were occupied by an invading force.

As for those Clubs - those chockie bikkies can really hurt.
LarsMac

Betty Boop.

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1459009 wrote: What about all those stinking Scandinavian Vikings coming over here ravaging our women & looting everything in their wake? Pah!!!

I have a grandson who fancies himself a Viking. I can send him over your way, if you like.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Betty Boop.

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1459019 wrote: I have a grandson who fancies himself a Viking. I can send him over your way, if you like.
I'm too close to the shore. I would be a front line target for the landing forces.
High Threshold

Betty Boop.

Post by High Threshold »

By the way (and way off topic) some years ago I worked as a writer-translator for a “living” Viking museum. My closest colleague was proficient in Latin and ancient Greek and he was responsible for translating original documents …. some of them for the very first time in history! My job was to then translate them from Swedish into those European languages that I manage. We worked exclusively with the writings of first-hand experiences, sightings and observations of the conquering, on-coming Vikings. What amazing accounts those are! The Vikings were described as the most fierce and frightening half-human creatures who (once they occupied land) chose to live in the forest away from any settlement, in complete, individual isolation from even their own countrymen and when needed to gather were summoned by the use of blowing horns.
LarsMac

Betty Boop.

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1459021 wrote: I'm too close to the shore. I would be a front line target for the landing forces.

No problem. He would probably just accept your eldest daughter as an offering and go off to raid Bristol.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Betty Boop.

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1459024 wrote: No problem. He would probably just accept your eldest daughter as an offering and go off to raid Bristol.
I have an eldest daughter. S**t - she said she was on the pill.
G#Gill

Betty Boop.

Post by G#Gill »

High Threshold;1459022 wrote: By the way (and way off topic) some years ago I worked as a writer-translator for a “living” Viking museum. My closest colleague was proficient in Latin and ancient Greek and he was responsible for translating original documents …. some of them for the very first time in history! My job was to then translate them from Swedish into those European languages that I manage. We worked exclusively with the writings of first-hand experiences, sightings and observations of the conquering, on-coming Vikings. What amazing accounts those are! The Vikings were described as the most fierce and frightening half-human creatures who (once they occupied land) chose to live in the forest away from any settlement, in complete, individual isolation from even their own countrymen and when needed to gather were summoned by the use of blowing horns.

Not changed much then ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop.

LarsMac;1458988 wrote:

Being offended is a choice you make.

Philosophtly: "Offended" is a choice you make

Finally had time to sit down and read the link.

I can't actually thank you enough for this because I can use It for something else In real life In another arena.

But I have a question... As an example... JJ's vulgarity was offensive to some. So If being offended Is a choice... Is that now his fault they are offended or theirs because they made the choice to be offended ?
AnneBoleyn

Betty Boop.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Oscar: "But I have a question... As an example... JJ's vulgarity was offensive to some. So If being offended Is a choice... Is that now his fault they are offended or theirs because they made the choice to be offended ?"

Excellent question IMO.

eta--deserves an excellent answer, I'm not sure I have one at this moment. In this instance only, however, my first thought is that we all know JJ very well; well enough to know he is a big tease but not an outright offender on purpose, IMO & if offended here should have just let it drop & speak to him privately, not to outright ban him.

I may be accused of bias, however, I really like JJ & sometimes we all blow our tops (ahem, I ought to know!)
LarsMac

Betty Boop.

Post by LarsMac »

Oscar Namechange;1459059 wrote: Finally had time to sit down and read the link.

I can't actually thank you enough for this because I can use It for something else In real life In another arena.

But I have a question... As an example... JJ's vulgarity was offensive to some. So If being offended Is a choice... Is that now his fault they are offended or theirs because they made the choice to be offended ?
:thinking:

:sneaky:

As often as you seem to get offended around here, I am not sure you really want to go down that road. :lips:

;)

But there is this little thing called Rule number 1.5 that covers that.

1.5 No "Offensive" Posts, Links or Images: Please do not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, racist, sexist, discriminatory, or otherwise violative of any local or international laws. This includes links in your signature, profile, bookmarks as well as posted images, photos and avatars. Staff will ultimately decide if something is appropriate or not.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Betty Boop.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Just now read the link. I think there might be some exceptions, extreme though, like the Westboro Baptists disrupting funerals & the anit-abortionists who get right up in your face to shout. I might be able to think of others, but generally I see the point of the link. Thanks Lars.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop.

LarsMac;1459067 wrote: :thinking:

:sneaky:

As often as you seem to get offended around here, I am not sure you really want to go down that road. :lips:

;)

But there is this little thing called Rule number 1.5 that covers that. I wasn't talking about FG rules... I used JJ as the example as It's the most recent.

My question was genuine as although I found the article Interesting, there seemed a slight contradiction to me. If offense Is the offendee's fault for making that choice to be offended, then does that excuse the actions of those who offended?
LarsMac

Betty Boop.

Post by LarsMac »

Oscar Namechange;1459086 wrote: I wasn't talking about FG rules... I used JJ as the example as It's the most recent.

My question was genuine as although I found the article Interesting, there seemed a slight contradiction to me. If offense Is the offendee's fault for making that choice to be offended, then does that excuse the actions of those who offended?

I got what you were saying. IF someone knows that a particular action, or word is offensive to others, and uses that action, or word to expressly give offense, the the offending party should be dealt with.

If I am in a room with my wife and a group of her friends, I will use language that is a lot different than when I am out at the hunting camp with my buddies.

If the wife chooses to come along on the hunt, then it is on her to deal with the language we use.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Betty Boop.

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1459062 wrote: Oscar: "But I have a question... As an example... JJ's vulgarity was offensive to some. So If being offended Is a choice... Is that now his fault they are offended or theirs because they made the choice to be offended ?"

Excellent question IMO.

eta--deserves an excellent answer, I'm not sure I have one at this moment. In this instance only, however, my first thought is that we all know JJ very well; well enough to know he is a big tease but not an outright offender on purpose, IMO & if offended here should have just let it drop & speak to him privately, not to outright ban him.

I may be accused of bias, however, I really like JJ & sometimes we all blow our tops (ahem, I ought to know!)

I simply refer to what Bryn said, earlier.

JJ was banned for foul and abusive language - the fact that it was in a foreign language is immaterial given the ease of translation and he is lucky that the ban was not for far longer given the language used.

It wasn't about whether any particular individual took offense.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop.

LarsMac;1459088 wrote: I got what you were saying. IF someone knows that a particular action, or word is offensive to others, and uses that action, or word to expressly give offense, the the offending party should be dealt with.

If I am in a room with my wife and a group of her friends, I will use language that is a lot different than when I am out at the hunting camp with my buddies.

If the wife chooses to come along on the hunt, then it is on her to deal with the language we use.Let's move away from the JJ stuff and deal with the link.

So what you Interpret from the link Is that sometimes It's not the sole choice of the person offended as to It being the choice to be offended but the Intention of of the offender to deliberately offend? If that Is true then with deliberate offence, the person offended does not have a choice after all. If one deliberately offends then Is the offended, offended by the deliberate act of causing offence and not what was done ie the act to cause offence?

I get your point completely because tonight we had some peeps round for dinner and their daughter has just married some geezer they haven't taken lightly to. I agree with them, I think he's a knob but anyway.....In point with your post, similar was discussed. The new son In Law has a habit of Pharting out loud In front of everyone and anyone. They find It uncouth. The MIL said tonight she didn't care less If he pharted down the pub with his pals but not at her dinner table while eating. Yet the question remains... does he phart at her dinner table just to annoy her or Is she choosing to be offended. I think we know the answer to that which makes the link contradictive when he says It's the offended's choice to be offended.
LarsMac

Betty Boop.

Post by LarsMac »

Oscar Namechange;1459090 wrote: Let's move away from the JJ stuff and deal with the link.

So what you Interpret from the link Is that sometimes It's not the sole choice of the person offended as to It being the choice to be offended but the Intention of of the offender to deliberately offend? If that Is true then with deliberate offence, the person offended does not have a choice after all. If one deliberately offends then Is the offended, offended by the deliberate act of causing offence and not what was done ie the act to cause offence?

I get your point completely because tonight we had some peeps round for dinner and their daughter has just married some geezer they haven't taken lightly to. I agree with them, I think he's a knob but anyway.....In point with your post, similar was discussed. The new son In Law has a habit of Pharting out loud In front of everyone and anyone. They find It uncouth. The MIL said tonight she didn't care less If he pharted down the pub with his pals but not at her dinner table while eating. Yet the question remains... does he phart at her dinner table just to annoy her or Is she choosing to be offended. I think we know the answer to that which makes the link contradictive when he says It's the offended's choice to be offended.

Yeah, there is a certain contradictory nature to the whole idea presented by the author.

But from a perspective of self enlightenment, the idea is always true that you choose what offends you, and you choose how you will react to the offense.

If faced a choice like you dinner guests, the guy is doing something that by mutual agreement of all attending was offensive. If he truly cannot control himself and is not doing so on purpose, then the offended parties must make some decisions. Either dismiss his lack of control and move on, or stop inviting him to dinner. If he is doing it deliberately, then beat him about the head and shoulders until he gets the message.

Something like that.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Betty Boop.

Post by FourPart »

I think there is a bit of party difference here. After all, although I found the posting to be offensive, I wasn't personally offended by it - mainly because it wasn't directed at me. However, that doesn't mean to say that others weren't.

It doesn't even need to such an extreme form as that in order to be offensive (although this one undoubtedly was). It can often be the case that one can cause offence without even intending to (not that that applies here either). For example (and I emphasise this is a purely fictitious example, and not in any way a viewpoint held by myself), a person may say that certain types of disabled people gives them the creeps, which may simply be an admission of his / her own failings, but someone who either is disabled in that way, or close to someone who is would quite understandably take offence, even if it wasn't intended as such - although exactly the same claim could also be made in a malicious way.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop.

FourPart;1459093 wrote: I think there is a bit of party difference here. After all, although I found the posting to be offensive, I wasn't personally offended by it - mainly because it wasn't directed at me. However, that doesn't mean to say that others weren't.

It doesn't even need to such an extreme form as that in order to be offensive (although this one undoubtedly was). It can often be the case that one can cause offence without even intending to (not that that applies here either). For example (and I emphasise this is a purely fictitious example, and not in any way a viewpoint held by myself), a person may say that certain types of disabled people gives them the creeps, which may simply be an admission of his / her own failings, but someone who either is disabled in that way, or close to someone who is would quite understandably take offence, even if it wasn't intended as such - although exactly the same claim could also be made in a malicious way. Tonight over dinner and swapping anecdotes, I recalled this to my guest... as you point out, unIntention offence.

We have Gay friends and two of the dearest D and A run a newsagents round here. One day not long after we had met them and they didn't know me very well, I was perusing the vegetable section In the grocery corner. A lady In a wheelchair came In, went straight to the counter and asked to pay her papers bill. I just happened to glance at her and referring to the choice of carrots etc, I said ' Hey A, I see you're getting more vegetables In here lately'... some geezer thought I meant the lady In the wheelchair and went ape at me. D and A are laughing hysterically at this which angered the geezer all the more and he stomped out after telling me I should be ashamed of myself..... As we got to know them better, we started addressing their Christmas cards to ' Gay News'... they think It's hysterical .
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop.

LarsMac;1459092 wrote: Yeah, there is a certain contradictory nature to the whole idea presented by the author.

But from a perspective of self enlightenment, the idea is always true that you choose what offends you, and you choose how you will react to the offense.

If faced a choice like you dinner guests, the guy is doing something that by mutual agreement of all attending was offensive. If he truly cannot control himself and is not doing so on purpose, then the offended parties must make some decisions. Either dismiss his lack of control and move on, or stop inviting him to dinner. If he is doing it deliberately, then beat him about the head and shoulders until he gets the message.

Something like that. Phew... I thought I was going mad...

That's what I told them.. stop Inviting the uncouth git but then that raises the question, will their daughter be offended that her new man Isn't being Invited. Life eh ?

Return to “General Chit Chat”