Florida Couple Fined $746 For Crime Of Feeding Homeless People

katsung47

Post by katsung47 »

By Scott KeyesMay 12, 2014

LAST FEEDING IN MANATEE PARK MAY 7, 2014 - YouTube

Every Wednesday, the Jimenezes feed more than a hundred people a hearty lunch with dishes of chicken patties, macaroni salad, and fresh vegetables, among others. The meals are entirely funded by private donations and staffed with volunteers.

However, Daytona Beach is one of a handful of cities that enacted ordinances barring individuals from serving food in public. Last week, nearly a half-dozen police officers showed up at Manatee Island Park, where a long line of people had queued to get a meal, and served citations to the Jimenezes and volunteers.

Florida Couple Fined $746 For Crime Of Feeding Homeless People | ThinkProgress
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

That's completely ****ed up!!!!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

fuzzywuzzy;1455993 wrote: That's completely ****ed up!!!!

What is F'up is the news reporting.

It was not

For Crime Of Feeding Homeless People

THINK PROGRESS

It isn't about feeding people, it is about converting public property for private use.

Florida Couple Cleared of All Fines for Feeding Homeless People

The Jimenezes met Wednesday with Daytona Beach Police Chief Mike Chitwood and a city attorney, who agreed to waive the citations and accompanying fines, and urged the couple to apply for a city permit if they seek to continue publicly providing food to homeless people, Debbie Jimenez said.

The couple was warned, they said, that if they re-launch their Wednesday food-sharing sessions at Manatee Island Park in Daytona Beach, they will again face criminal charges - and more.

"It's jail time if we get caught," said Chico Jimenez, 60, a retired construction manager who, with his wife, a retired auto parts store manager, operates a New Smyrna Beach-based ministry called “Spreading the Word Without Saying a Word.” Since receiving the citations, the couple has been lugging boxes of food to impoverished families who have homes, and to people living in camps in wooded areas within the community, they said.

Chitwood confirmed in an email to NBC News that the fines and tickets were dismissed.

In an interview on May 12, Chitwood said residents had complained that some homeless people gathering in the park were disturbing the grounds, and that some were showing up drunk at dawn.

"We as a city have spent millions of dollars to turn that park into a place for families, kids and dog lovers," Chitwood said. "We have an ordinance that says when people want to perform acts of kindness or charity that they must coordinate with our local social service agencies."
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

What is F'ed up is the attempted trolling with the misleading headline.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
katsung47

Post by katsung47 »

tude dog;1456008 wrote: What is F'up is the news reporting.

It was not

For Crime Of Feeding Homeless People

THINK PROGRESS

It isn't about feeding people, it is about converting public property for private use.."

Homeless people and people to feeding them are public too.

"We as a city have spent millions of dollars to turn that park into a place for families, kids and dog lovers," Chitwood said. "We have an ordinance that says when people want to perform acts of kindness or charity that they must coordinate with our local social service agencies."

The rulers of the city think they own the park, abuse the power in their way. As a matter of fact, feeding hungry people is more lofty than "walking dog, play ball....". The only reason for them is they don't like poor people.
katsung47

Post by katsung47 »

Cities all over America are becoming extremely cruel to the homeless

Have you ever given food to a homeless person?

By Michael Snyder | The Economic Collapse Blog

Well, if you do it again in the future it might be a criminal act depending on where you live. Right now, there are dozens of major U.S. cities that have already passed laws against feeding the homeless. As you will read about below, in some areas of the country you can actually be fined hundreds of dollars for just trying to give food to a hungry person. I know that sounds absolutely insane, but this is what America is turning into. Communities all over the country are attempting to “clean up the streets” by making it virtually illegal to either be homeless or to help those that are homeless. Instead of spending more money on programs to assist the homeless, local governments are bulldozing tent cities and giving homeless people one way bus tickets out-of-town. We are treating some of the most vulnerable members of our society like human garbage, and it is a national disgrace.

Cities all over America are becoming extremely cruel to the homeless - Intellihub.com
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I always try to make a point of buying a copy of Big Issue, but I will never give anything to those who sit with their obligatory dog, asking for "Any Spare Change" (usually with a few cans of lager / bottles of cider / vodka by their side, puffing away on cigarettes). They are clearly doing nothing to further their situation & are content to live of other people's generosity.

Big Isue Vendors, on the other hand (for the benefit of non-UK citizens - UK citizens who don't understand about Big Issue) earn a living by purchasing copies of the magazine from the publishers on a Sale or Return basis, for half the face value of the magazine. However, only those who are registered as homeless (or newly settled) are permitted to buy & sell them. Therefore you can tell that all Big Issue vendors are legitimate.

On several occasions, when I've a bit of cash available I've also shared something hot to eat with them, such as something from the pie shop, or some chips. Not the best of healthy food, but it's hot & filling.

Years ago I spent a couple of weeks on the streets myself, so I know what it's like from the other side of the fence. I was one of the fortunate ones. Being epileptic the local Council helped me find housing in digs. As grotty as they were, it was a roof over my head, and once I had a fixed address it was easier to find better accommodation, until eventually I reached enough points on the Housing list to get the flat that I live in to this day - a place, I might add, I love & wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Remember this when you see someone on the street selling Big Issue. They are not beggars working cash in hand & fiddling their Welfare Benefits. They are legitimately homeless & not in receipt of benefits. The meagre income they receive from their sales of Big Issue are their only income. Big Issue is also a very good read. Don't wait for them to approach you, go up to them. Chat with them & give them some moral support. A bit of respect costs nothing, but can be invaluable.

The beggars with dogs, on the other hand, more often than not are not homeless & are on benefits, most of which gets spent of drink & drugs, giving the real, unseen homeless, a bad name.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

My questions is, is it allowed to have a picnic on the grounds? If so what's the problem?

Return to “General Religious Discussions”