nice to see the churches doing something good.

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

This badass reverend is crushing Tony Abbott (in under 50 characters) | GlobalPost

His billboards outside his church are priceless!!!

Bower’s messages have gone viral on social media. That might be because having a man of the cloth on their side energizes Abbott’s embattled critics, less than a year after Australians voted him into office. And it might be because of the wit and heft the messages wield in under 50 characters — a length that makes Twitter seem wordy.

When Father Rod speaks, people listen. His parish now has more than 10,000 followers on Facebook and its billboards are seen by hundreds of thousands more via social media. Not bad for a local church.

It’s Abbott’s social conservatism and his hard-line stance on what Father Rod calls “issues of compassion” that have inspired some of the more popular — and most controversial — billboards.

Abbott, who has described homosexuality as a “fashion of the moment,” is a staunch opponent of gay marriage. He has promised to settle the “war” on asylum seekers by “sending them back to the country from which they came.”

Father Rod’s response?

But that all changed when he was called to the bedside of a dying man over a year ago. “While I was there I kind of worked out that this guy was gay,” he says. “I said ‘Does he have a partner?’ and they got all coy and said ‘yes.’ So I said, ‘Is he here?’, and they said ‘yes’ — they’d hidden him away in another room. I said, ‘For God’s sake, bring him out.’

“It was at that point that I said I’d had enough. I’d had enough of people assuming Christians were all anti-gay and right-wing. I came straight back to the office and put up a sign that said:

"Dear christians, Some people are gay, get over it ...Love god"
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

The country operates a number of offshore detention centers and sends all new boat arrivals to Manus Island in Papua New Guinea — a center critics liken to Guantanamo Bay.

Here, asylum seekers — many proven to be genuine refugees from strife-torn countries, who are entitled to rights and protections under international law — are often locked up for years under what appears to be more of a deterrent policy than a genuine effort to resettle refugees.

Most recently, Australia agreed to send refugees to Cambodia, a country with its own questionable human rights record.

Father Rod’s response to the asylum debate?

" Dear Mr Abbott....please let my people go ...Love god"

"asylum seekers aren't criminals, why do we cage them?"

" Australia we are better than this"
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

but my favourite?

"Jesus had two dads, and he turned out okay"
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I like that sense of humour..

My husband was Best Man at a wedding recently. It was a beautiful church In Bath and had one of those young, new age, trendy style Vicars... He was just so damn funny.... It was really refreshing... the congregation were In stitches over the way he carried out the service... he even let everyone bring their dogs Into church. Although he stopped mid sermon, took one by the lead and led him out to the back because the howling was drowning him out... It was an afternoon of great fun, bit of sarcasm, Irony and laughter.... thoroughly enjoyed It and have been back to Bath since for more of his services.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “General Religious Discussions”