Love for all Hatred for none

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I often get a leaflet through the door advertising one of the seasonal events at the local church, sometimes a pair of Jehovahs witness visits with their Awake magazine. On occassion a church from somewhere else in town drops an invitation through the door.

Today I got a Muslim pamphlet.................this time I read it.

It came from the Ahmadiya Muslim Community.

Is this a PR exercise from the bad guys or is there a good guy wing of Islam?

Muslim leader condemns violence in Muslim countries

Well......everybody else is getting into the religion thing.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1451427 wrote: I often get a leaflet through the door advertising one of the seasonal events at the local church, sometimes a pair of Jehovahs witness visits with their Awake magazine. On occassion a church from somewhere else in town drops an invitation through the door.

Today I got a Muslim pamphlet.................this time I read it.

It came from the Ahmadiya Muslim Community.

Is this a PR exercise from the bad guys or is there a good guy wing of Islam?

Muslim leader condemns violence in Muslim countries

Well......everybody else is getting into the religion thing.

Of course there's a good guy wing of Islam and it's far larger than the extremist, fundamentalist, wing.

Just as there is an extremist, fundamentalist, wing of Christianity but it's far smaller than the good guy wing.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I hope you're not serious asking if there's a "good guy wing" to the Muslim community. I agree with what Bryn said.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I know several Muslims, and they are all good guys.

I knew many Muslims back in College days, from various nations. And Proselytizing Muslims are not really new. I remember one guy from Syria who was always trying to bring new people to The Prophet.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am totally non religious.

I do however find many Muslim ideas worth a second thought. Their banking with no interest is the only way to save the world.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1451463 wrote: I am totally non religious.

I do however find many Muslim ideas worth a second thought. Their banking with no interest is the only way to save the world.

To be fair, Usury and condemnation of it are not unique to Islam.

most of the religions of the Judaic root forbid it. Even the Hindu texts forbade usury.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1451470 wrote: To be fair, Usury and condemnation of it are not unique to Islam.

most of the religions of the Judaic root forbid it. Even the Hindu texts forbade usury.

Condemning is one thing, but the caricature image of the Jewish businessman is money hungry profiteer.

Probably doesn't tell the full story, but cartoons are based on obvious points.

I don't know of any bank that offer no interest loans,but several British banks are adopting sharia principles to capture customers.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1451471 wrote: Condemning is one thing, but the caricature image of the Jewish businessman is money hungry profiteer.

Probably doesn't tell the full story, but cartoons are based on obvious points.

I don't know of any bank that offer no interest loans,but several British banks are adopting sharia principles to capture customers.

You might find this an interesting read.

Banking and bankers
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

On a quick read, I think thats what I said.

I shall read it thoroughly later
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

To all.

Tell me, if you love all people, does that mean that you do not recognize levels of love?

IOW, do you not love any in a special way and does that difference not make (love for all) more rhetoric than something you can actually do do?

After all, love, like faith, must be shown with works if it is to be true love. Reciprocity is a part of true love and in saying that one loves all, one is basically lying as one cannot do anything to show that love to those we do not know. Love all then can only be rhetoric.

Thoughts?

Regards

DL
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Mr Bishop sir.......the word love in this instance is the modern degraded type definition for love and should be read as respect or acceptance.

The word love in its true meaning is obviously for people we get to know and like and eventually love, or relatives that in truth we don't really like but still love for some strange reason (we all have one or two in the family don't we?)

I don't like having to look up shorthand internet phrases, but now that I have.........IOW the words are not rhetorical if the meaning of love is altered to it's common or garden modern degraded form.......not unlike the use of such shorthand as IOW?

Love is not like faith at all, unless you can convince me differently IMHO (now you have got me at it) Both can be seen as illogical of course, but that is where the similarity ends as far as I am concerned.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Bruv;1451696 wrote: Mr Bishop sir.......the word love in this instance is the modern degraded type definition for love and should be read as respect or acceptance.

The word love in its true meaning is obviously for people we get to know and like and eventually love, or relatives that in truth we don't really like but still love for some strange reason (we all have one or two in the family don't we?)

I don't like having to look up shorthand internet phrases, but now that I have.........IOW the words are not rhetorical if the meaning of love is altered to it's common or garden modern degraded form.......not unlike the use of such shorthand as IOW?

Love is not like faith at all, unless you can convince me differently IMHO (now you have got me at it) Both can be seen as illogical of course, but that is where the similarity ends as far as I am concerned.

Faith must be demonstrated by works and deeds to be real faith.

Love must be demonstrated by works and deeds to be real love.

If you cannot agree with those statements then you have no idea what love and faith are about.

Regards

DL
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1451726 wrote: Faith must be demonstrated by works and deeds to be real faith.

Love must be demonstrated by works and deeds to be real love.

If you cannot agree with those statements then you have no idea what love and faith are about.

Regards

DL

Faith and Love, both, are in the works one does. You cannot just go a do a deed to prove your faith, or your love.

You either have faith, and you have love, or you do not, and how you treat others (your "works") will do the "demonstrating" for all to see.

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. - 1 Cor 13:1
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Right thats it then......I have no idea what love and faith are about.

I shall step out of me own thread, head bowed.

(Works and deeds?....mumble mumble.....he defines Love simplistically.....best we define 'Works and Deeds' now?)
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Bruv

Do so and you will soon tie love and faith to them.

Don't be angry with learning. Learning is your friend.

If you are here to debate then you should know that you are bettered by losing an argument. Winning it gives your betters here nothing. You are the one to gain if you should choose to.

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

LarsMac;1451728 wrote: Faith and Love, both, are in the works one does. You cannot just go a do a deed to prove your faith, or your love.

You either have faith, and you have love, or you do not, and how you treat others (your "works") will do the "demonstrating" for all to see.

I agree. It is all in the works and deeds and without them, there is no faith or love.

Regards

DL
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1451732 wrote: Oops
Got ya!!

I was only joking......you cant keep me quiet like that.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1451731 wrote: Right thats it then......I have no idea what love and faith are about.

I shall step out of me own thread, head bowed.

(Works and deeds?....mumble mumble.....he defines Love simplistically.....best we define 'Works and Deeds' now?)

Au contraire, my friend. It is the likes of you who truly show what it is about.
- DH Lawrence
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Bruv;1451734 wrote: Got ya!!

I was only joking......you cant keep me quiet like that.

That was not meant for you or anyone else. I could not enter anything so I chose to enter that Oops just to activate the thread for myself. Sorry if I threw you off as I apparently did. You will note that I replaced the Oops with an actual post.

Regards

DL
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1451732 wrote: Bruv

Do so and you will soon tie love and faith to them. Sorry I can be dense, have no idea what you refer to.

Don't be angry with learning. Learning is your friend. Who's angry ? A day without learning is a day wasted.

If you are here to debate then you should know that you are bettered by losing an argument. Winning it gives your betters here nothing. You are the one to gain if you should choose to.

Regards

DL

Do you always talk in riddles?

You are off on a tangent, talking of losing an argument, being bettered by it. And then winning......this is where it gets confusing......gives my betters.....Betters? Are we in need of defining the different meanings of bettered now? Is this word used in both it's forms in the same sentence?

First that I am a better person for losing/learning from an argument?

But then that winning the same argument gives my betters here nothing. My Betters being my intellectual superiors ?

A debate is not necessarily an argument that needs to be won or lost.

You lost me when you brought the meaning of the thread title into question.

The confusion hangs on the meaning of the word love in the thread title, nothing to do with words deeds and faith, it is not as deep as that particualr meaning.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Bruv

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post

Bruv

Do so and you will soon tie love and faith to them.

Sorry I can be dense, have no idea what you refer to.

I was speaking of tying works and deeds to love and faith.

" Don't be angry with learning. Learning is your friend. Who's angry ? A day without learning is a day wasted."

Exactly my point. Do you learn anything when you win an argument?

Or do you gain more when you lose one?

You should understand this after reading what I put above it.

Regards

DL Do you always talk in riddles?

I always try to be clear.

You are off on a tangent, talking of losing an argument, being bettered by it. And then winning......this is where it gets confusing......gives my betters.....Betters? Are we in need of defining the different meanings of bettered now? Is this word used in both it's forms in the same sentence?

First that I am a better person for losing/learning from an argument?

But then that winning the same argument gives my betters here nothing. My Betters being my intellectual superiors ?

A debate is not necessarily an argument that needs to be won or lost.

You lost me when you brought the meaning of the thread title into question.

The confusion hangs on the meaning of the word love in the thread title, nothing to do with words deeds and faith, it is not as deep as that particualr meaning.

I will ignore this for the moment as I may have cleared things up for you. If not, ask away.

Regards

DL

Return to “General Religious Discussions”