Is your belief in hell hurting you and your child?

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segmen ... 1a6400009b

The bible indicates that the vast majority of us will end in hell. Most of us are on the wide road to hell and only a few of us will be on the narrow road to heaven.

Even the most righteous of us would need to be rather egotistical to think that we somehow made the grade for heaven. Even if we did, I cannot see most of us keeping our sanity too long as we watch our family members, husband and wives, --- not to forget our own children, --- in purposeless torture while we bask in heaven with God. I do not think the human nature could maintain any kind of happiness through that. Perhaps you do.

Do you feel comfortable teaching that doctrine to your children and telling them that they and most of their friends will end in hell?

Is your belief in hell hurting you and those around you?

Do you think that your belief is hurting you?

If you teach it to your child, do you think it is hurting him or her?

Regards

DL
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1450969 wrote: Is your belief in hell hurting you and your child?

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segmen ... 1a6400009b

The bible indicates that the vast majority of us will end in hell. Most of us are on the wide road to hell and only a few of us will be on the narrow road to heaven.

Even the most righteous of us would need to be rather egotistical to think that we somehow made the grade for heaven. Even if we did, I cannot see most of us keeping our sanity too long as we watch our family members, husband and wives, --- not to forget our own children, --- in purposeless torture while we bask in heaven with God. I do not think the human nature could maintain any kind of happiness through that. Perhaps you do.

Do you feel comfortable teaching that doctrine to your children and telling them that they and most of their friends will end in hell?

Is your belief in hell hurting you and those around you?

Do you think that your belief is hurting you?

If you teach it to your child, do you think it is hurting him or her?

Regards

DLJudaism teaches - my paraphrase, and I'm not Jewish - that God put us on earth to live THIS LIFE, and if we do so in His service, and according to His commandments, the next life, if there be one, will take care of itself.

That's what I would teach my (Christian) child, no more, no less.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Mark Aspam;1450975 wrote: Judaism teaches - my paraphrase, and I'm not Jewish - that God put us on earth to live THIS LIFE, and if we do so in His service, and according to His commandments, the next life, if there be one, will take care of itself.

That's what I would teach my (Christian) child, no more, no less.

Indeed. Karen Armstrong said of Jewish can be stated in whole as do no harm or do unto others and that everything else is just commentary. I agree and would say that about all religions.

Darn Jews and Gnostic Christians and their perspective Jesus' have always been brighter than the Rome created Jesus that emerged when Constantine bought the church. That quality and excellence may be why Rome did what they did to both the Gnostics and the Jews.

Regards

DL
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1450976 wrote: Indeed. Karen Armstrong said of Jewish can be stated in whole as do no harm or do unto others and that everything else is just commentary. As I recall, Hillel said that a couple of thousand years before Karen. He then added, "Now go and study it further."
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Right, Mark:

"The phrase “everything else is commentary,” or, as it is more frequently encountered, “the rest is commentary,” has in recent years become such a part of the English language that many people are unaware of its Jewish roots. Yet these origins are indisputable and are clearly traceable to the talmudic story about the two first-century-BCE rabbinic sages, Hillel and Shammai, contemporaries paired together by Jewish tradition as archetypical opposites: Hillel the tolerant and liberal “loose constructionist” of the Law, Shammai the exacting and inflexible “strict constructionist.” In one story about them, a gentile comes to both and asks, with the obvious intention of provoking them, to be taught the whole Torah while standing on one leg. Shammai is indeed provoked and gives the man an angry whack with a measuring rod. Hillel replies, “That which is hateful to you, do not unto another: This is the whole Torah. The rest is commentary — [and now] go study.” "

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/14250/the-r ... z2xIHSuNQR
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1451008 wrote: Right, Mark:

"The phrase “everything else is commentary,” or, as it is more frequently encountered, “the rest is commentary,” has in recent years become such a part of the English language that many people are unaware of its Jewish roots. Yet these origins are indisputable and are clearly traceable to the talmudic story about the two first-century-BCE rabbinic sages, Hillel and Shammai, contemporaries paired together by Jewish tradition as archetypical opposites: Hillel the tolerant and liberal “loose constructionist” of the Law, Shammai the exacting and inflexible “strict constructionist.” In one story about them, a gentile comes to both and asks, with the obvious intention of provoking them, to be taught the whole Torah while standing on one leg. Shammai is indeed provoked and gives the man an angry whack with a measuring rod. Hillel replies, “That which is hateful to you, do not unto another: This is the whole Torah. The rest is commentary — [and now] go study.” "

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/14250/the-r ... z2xIHSuNQR

Hillel replies, “That which is hateful to you, do not unto another: This is the whole Torah. The rest is commentary — [and now] go study.”

Thank you - that is my belief in a nutshell.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

I thank you for the correction. I should have went back to the original quote.

My bad.

Regards

DL

Return to “General Religious Discussions”