The Terrifying Truth About Bananas

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Well, maybe not terrifying but it can be a little disconcerting to realize the fragility of a food supply at any given time. I would love to taste the Gros Michel banana but it seems I'll have to settle for a banana flavored candy Runt (I think that's a Runt that they show in the film.)

He briefly mentions the 1000s of uncultivated banana varieties around the globe and I would be interested to know the comparison of their nutritional value versus the Cavendish. I'm guessing their flavor varies widely as with all natural varieties of fruit & vegetables.

On one hand it's reassuring to know that by dint of scientific industry and knowledge, the commercial banana crop will likely continue to produce enough to keep us all well supplied but on the flip side it brings to mind all of the concerns and uneasiness that usually accompany any thoughts of GMO crops and the way the world's food supply is grown today.

I buy local for all that I can but for fruits like the banana I have no choice but to take what they offer at the grocery store.

Aside from his used car salesman delivery, I enjoyed the clip!

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I've never trusted banana's since they started their own republic.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tabby

Post by tabby »

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

It pays to be suspicious!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

sorry, couldn't resist. First time I saw this, I thought they were joking. (Still not sure, actually.)

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Post by tabby »

I can't tell either without knowing the context of the program!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I wouldn't know Bananas are banned as imports to my country . Or they were when I last looked

Return to “The Kitchen”