The Great Meteor Seamount caper

Týr

Post by Týr »

Bear with me my droogies for I bring new thoughts. Sit back and attend while I introduce you to the Great Meteor Seamount.

The key thing to note is that it's in the Atlantic, it's a flat-topped hill and most of its summit is 250 to 500 meters below the waves. The surrounding Atlantic is around three miles deep so it's quite a big hill. That flat bit on top is - wait for it - 50 km x 28 km (1465 km²). That's 1500 square kilometers of real estate over which nobody to date even claims sovereignty.

What we here at ForumGarden will do is this. We chip in enough apiece to form a development company which we jointly own. We then raise market capital by selling 10% exchangeable non-voting options on apartments and citizenship in the Republic of Seamount and with that capital we build a permanent caisson around the perimeter and pump the entire seamount plateau dry. If we aim for a national population of 100 million at $5,000 a head, we can have construction crews building high-rise residential units within ten years. That sort of money's easily come by - I'd point out to doubters that the 2003 Iraq War cost three times as much and produced far less of a return for its investors.

What we, the ForumGarden Membership, end up with is one very large capital city surrounded by half-kilometer sea-defence walls, a permanently inexhaustible supply of drinking water and food, and an Unaligned seat at the United Nations. Not even Bill Gates has one of those as far as I'm aware. I suggest we form a ruling Senate body with a class system based on wealth, privilege and descent from the Founding Procreators, to whit, ourselves.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I find you most entertaining.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I have more than 191,000 points accrued here at FG. I've been considering for some time, a profitable venture in which to plough the lot. Is it sufficient for a down payment, just until my numbers come up ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Týr

Post by Týr »

Snowfire;1441890 wrote: I have more than 191,000 points accrued here at FG. I've been considering for some time, a profitable venture in which to plough the lot. Is it sufficient for a down payment, just until my numbers come up ?

I have spent a lifetime hoping to see such a perfect example of Demosthenes, Against Leptines, section 15"In the material value to the recipients of the rewards bestowed, a tyranny or an oligarchy has an immense advantage in that they can make anyone they choose instantaneously rich".

As the chap immediately goes on to say, what is given with one hand in these circumstances can so easily be taken away later with the other.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Týr;1441893 wrote: I have spent a lifetime hoping to see such a perfect example of Demosthenes, Against Leptines, section 15"In the material value to the recipients of the rewards bestowed, a tyranny or an oligarchy has an immense advantage in that they can make anyone they choose instantaneously rich".

As the chap immediately goes on to say, what is given with one hand in these circumstances can so easily be taken away later with the other.

Then maybe the gift of democracy is to be preferred. If only I could find some. Don't often see much of that around.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Yeah I'm in .

but I'm still stuck on this.......

Sit back and attend

Attend to what?
Týr

Post by Týr »

If fear I may have red too much Kipling to the children recently.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Droogies ???

As in..................
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Týr

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1441917 wrote: Droogies ???

As in..................

I fear so. I have whimsies now and then, you caught me.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Yes.....you have whimsies alright, but........now and again ?

If only......

Whimsies
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Return to “Societal Issues News”