Passion vs Stability

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
Chloe_88

Passion vs Stability

Post by Chloe_88 »

My absolute passion above passion is; working with animals.

This year I was inspired by my own passion (my mum kept a book on me growing up and it reminded me of my passion for animal care), so I enrolled in a home course 'Animal medical knowledge and first aid for pets'.

Today I updated my CV, as I have not done for 5 years...

As I finished, I saw a job opening at my local zoo..

I applied... In part just because I always think: 'he who dares wins'.

Passion vs Stability?

My current job that I have been in for 5 years gives me a good income and stability, but I absolutely hate it. I believe part of my illness is caused by the stress of it.

My absolute passion is to work with animals again.

Do I stay in a job I hate that pays good money and provides stability, or if the zoo offers me a job, do I take a job that is my absolute passion above passion but might be not so stable and will pay a little less? ( I do own my own home, and have to keep that in mind as well).

Taking it back in to general; What would you do? Passion or Stability?
along-for-the-ride

Passion vs Stability

Post by along-for-the-ride »

It's good to have that choice.

My job doesn't pay all that well, but I do like it. ( I work as a Personnel Clerk and have been with the company for over 20 years) I am basically a secretary who also assists employees. I've always enjoyed my job, it's some of the people I've had to work with that I haven't enjoyed on occasion. Hubby's income has been a great help in paying the bills.

I say, if you really hate your job, and you have an opportunity to do something you are passionate about.....go for it. Make budget adjustments and be happy. Life is too short.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Chloe_88

Passion vs Stability

Post by Chloe_88 »

along-for-the-ride;1440379 wrote: Life is too short.

That's the reason why I have applied for the job.

I don't like the feeling of (in 30/40 years time) saying; Only if I, or what if ? On the other hand, I do have a mortgage to pay.

Wait and see what happens first... :)
Oscar Namechange

Passion vs Stability

Post by Oscar Namechange »

All I can say Is this Chloe...

When I was your age, twenties, I did a 6 year apprenticeship In Horse Racing but the betting Industry side of It. But back then, I also had the chance to begin working with race-horses starting from the bottom as stable girl.

My Ideal vocation was that of stall handler . Actually considered one of the most dangerous proffessions.

Anyway, I went with the money and started a career In sales. Although I loved the job and the work, my biggest regret In life Is that I didn't take the opportunity back then to actually be up close with race horses. It Is still a huge regret In my life.

While the money jobs bring the stability, I wish I'd followed my heart years ago.

No-one should ever look back and regret.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
along-for-the-ride

Passion vs Stability

Post by along-for-the-ride »

As an alternative, maybe you could volunteer part-time at your local zoo and keep your job....for the time being.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bryn Mawr

Passion vs Stability

Post by Bryn Mawr »

What is the possibility of promotion at the zoo?

Is it a job where they'll take you on to see if you fit and them promote you if you do or is it a dead end job where you'll be on low wages forever?

If it is a case of tightening you belt for three to six months whilst you prove you ability and commitment then believe in yourself and go for it.

If you'll be stuck then, much as you might love it to start, the combination of low wages and lack of challenge when you know the job backwards would not be enough for you.
Chloe_88

Passion vs Stability

Post by Chloe_88 »

Bryn Mawr;1440425 wrote: What is the possibility of promotion at the zoo?

Is it a job where they'll take you on to see if you fit and them promote you if you do or is it a dead end job where you'll be on low wages forever?

If it is a case of tightening you belt for three to six months whilst you prove you ability and commitment then believe in yourself and go for it.

If you'll be stuck then, much as you might love it to start, the combination of low wages and lack of challenge when you know the job backwards would not be enough for you.

It would probably be a long time before promotion, and a lot of hard work to get there. So it would mean scooping poo for a long time.. And it might sound silly but i'd love feeding the animals and scooping animal poo for the next couple of years, than stay where I am right now.

But again I must think of my 4 cats that need to be fed (and of course ourselves :wah: ) + the mortgage to pay.. It would earn 100-150 euro's less, which is okay, but it's the stability part. People come and go constantly in that type of business.
Chloe_88

Passion vs Stability

Post by Chloe_88 »

along-for-the-ride;1440384 wrote: As an alternative, maybe you could volunteer part-time at your local zoo and keep your job....for the time being.

I have done that before at the shelter.

But with a fulltime job, I just don't seem to have enough time.

Besides I'd like a carrier change as I don't like the job I have been stuck in for 5 years now.. Funny it was ment to be a temp job (well thats what I told myself) in exact 2 months time I will have been there 5 fricking years..
fuzzywuzzy

Passion vs Stability

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Chloe_88;1440377 wrote: My absolute passion above passion is; working with animals.

This year I was inspired by my own passion (my mum kept a book on me growing up and it reminded me of my passion for animal care), so I enrolled in a home course 'Animal medical knowledge and first aid for pets'.

Today I updated my CV, as I have not done for 5 years...

As I finished, I saw a job opening at my local zoo..

I applied... In part just because I always think: 'he who dares wins'.

Passion vs Stability?

My current job that I have been in for 5 years gives me a good income and stability, but I absolutely hate it. I believe part of my illness is caused by the stress of it.

My absolute passion is to work with animals again.

Do I stay in a job I hate that pays good money and provides stability, or if the zoo offers me a job, do I take a job that is my absolute passion above passion but might be not so stable and will pay a little less? ( I do own my own home, and have to keep that in mind as well).

Taking it back in to general; What would you do? Passion or Stability?

ooohhh that's spooky I made the same decision yesterday, and rang for a job on a dog breeder farm. Havent heard back yet but here's hoping.
Lone Wolf

Passion vs Stability

Post by Lone Wolf »

wish you all the luck you need and hope it works out, i long for a opportunity that would make me happy

:-6:-6

LW
Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance.

Chloe_88

Passion vs Stability

Post by Chloe_88 »

Lone Wolf;1440522 wrote: wish you all the luck you need and hope it works out, i long for a opportunity that would make me happy

:-6:-6

LW

Thanks LW :D

Haven't heard back from them yet, but then again the vacancy is still on their website. I know for a fact they gather all the applicants CVs and then make their decision. Hubby and I applied years ago, so I know how they work :)

Anyway, sorry for being lazy with posting, as I've been quite busy on a dutch forum. Not that i'm switching forums, it's an organisation with their own forum that's dedicated to vitamin b12 deficiency.

That's one of the things the doctors found out I have. Up to the docs twice a week for injections, by monday i'll know if I can inject myself, that would save me a hell of a lot of time :wah:

Return to “Work Employment”