12 Obsolete Technologies Americans Still Use

tabby

Post by tabby »

As long as they remain functional, I think some of these devices will be around for some time to come! Going down the list, I can relate to a few of them but most of them are simply fond memories!

We still have some blank VHS tapes and have been known to use them in a pinch but mostly they're used to collect dust in a storage area.

The land line phone is a household fixture that I don't see us parting with any time soon. If I'm at home, I use it exclusively and only use my cell phone if I'm out & about and even then only for immediate family to contact me if necessary.

I still have some vinyl records but I haven't actually bought any since CDs became the craze. We have a player for them but I just don't ever seem to get around to listening to them. The thrift stores and vintage shops are full of old ones that are great fun to look through!

I laughed over the Dial-Up Internet ... I think our getting a satellite dish for internet connection was among my first posts here on FG. I'm still as thrilled with it now as I was 2 years ago!

Come on now ... are you still hanging on to any of these obsolete technologies?

12 Obsolete Technologies Americans Still Use | LiveScience
tabby

Post by tabby »

tabby;1439655 wrote: I laughed over the Dial-Up Internet ... I think our getting a satellite dish for internet connection was among my first posts here on FG. I'm still as thrilled with it now as I was 2 years ago!

[/url]

Found it ... it was it in October 2010 ~~~~~> http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/compu ... ernet.html
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I'd add internet portals like aol to the list.

Pay phones should never leave - they're a dying breed of technologies that afford anonymity.

Some say vinyl records sound better than digital recordings. Some of my kids mostly listen to vinyl. A similar argument can be made with regards to camera film.

I think a lot of people are wasting their money on land line phones for sure.

internet via satellite? Pretty pricey, isn't it? No alternatives where you live?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I still love the sound of my vinyl records, even though I have archived them all to digital.

I love to browse the used book and music stores for the occasional treasure of an old album.

Speaking of old books, another old technology that is rapidly fading, the book, is still my favorite way to spend free time. The Kindle is great for finding a reading books, sometimes, but it is just not as satisfying and a good, solid book.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Týr

Post by Týr »

To distinguish Americans in particular, there's the major matter of units. From what I gather, America is still operating on a daily domestic basis in cubic inches, yards and miles, degrees Fahrenheit, quarts and hundredweight. These involve the frequent use of conversion factors. Why do you-all tolerate this? Are these units still employed in schools, for example?
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
tabby

Post by tabby »

Ahso!;1439662 wrote: internet via satellite? Pretty pricey, isn't it? No alternatives where you live?

I'm not aware of any changes since my original post on the topic but then I haven't really looked into any other services since we're good with the satellite.
tabby

Post by tabby »

LarsMac;1439663 wrote: Speaking of old books, another old technology that is rapidly fading, the book, is still my favorite way to spend free time. The Kindle is great for finding a reading books, sometimes, but it is just not as satisfying and a good, solid book.

I agree, LM !
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I will not part with my grandmothers meat mincer. I'm sure there Is some whizz bang new technology out there but I like mincing up the left over roast beef for a pie on Mondays.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tabby

Post by tabby »

oscar;1439684 wrote: I will not part with my grandmothers meat mincer. I'm sure there Is some whizz bang new technology out there but I like mincing up the left over roast beef for a pie on Mondays.

Oh nice ... that's a keeper. Appliances today aren't built to last that long!
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I just bought some new cassette tapes (Peter White and 1960's Billboard hits) for my little desk radio at work. I can play and burn Cd's on my computer and sometimes the local radio station doesn't have good reception. Cassette tapes are my little buddies. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tabby

Post by tabby »

along-for-the-ride;1439704 wrote: I just bought some new cassette tapes (Peter White and 1960's Billboard hits) for my little desk radio at work. I can play and burn Cd's on my computer and sometimes the local radio station doesn't have good reception. Cassette tapes are my little buddies. ;)

I sold several cassette tapes of music on Ebay not too long ago and I was surprised at how fast they were snatched up so apparently you're not the only one listening to them!
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I spent the time and effort to capture all of my old lp albums, CDs, and cassette tapes into my digital music library. Then I made a copy of the library on a solid state drive for my wandrin vehicle so I can be in a remote campground in and call up music by album or artist. There once was a time when my ears could hear the difference between a vinyl lp and a CD, but age fixed that for me.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets Galore”