First thought

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

First thought

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Years ago I read a book about the Inner self warnings.

It explained that when you get a haunch or gut feeling then that's the bodies alarm system kicking In to divert you away from danger.

They claim women are more In tune with self warnings hence ' women's Intuition'.

Since reading that book, I do pay far more attention to gut feelings.

One of the chapters was about ' First thoughts' where something pops Into your head when summing up a situation.

Today, something happened and later my husband and I found we'd both had the same first thought which to me makes It all the more Interesting because now I am convinced that our cautiousness Is warranted.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

First thought

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Care to share?
Oscar Namechange

First thought

AnneBoleyn;1437212 wrote: Care to share? It was with this neighbour that's been abusing my husbands kindness.

To cut a long story short, last week, I gave the neighbour an earful about using my husband when he was so unwell. I told him we'd still get shopping for him but he had to take some responsibility and draw enough money to plan ahead so he wasn't calling on us every day.

Yesterday, the neighbour called me and said he needed Peter to do a shop for him today so I told him, he would but It would be a very quick flying visit because we have a wedding tomorrow where Peter Is best man and we would be busy right up to Tuesday,

So today, he rings shouted ' quick quick come round'. Peter went round and the neighbour told him he'd fallen off the bed and hurt his chest and could Peter do some jobs for him...

Both our first thoughts were ' He's done this on purpose' so he becomes the priority again Instead of waiting until Tuesday for the next visit.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

First thought

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I apologize that I can't relate as I would have told this neighbor to piss off awhile ago.

Yesterday, I was at the pharmacy. I noticed this grumpy old broad obviously uncomfortable but going out of her way to be nasty to other shoppers. Online at the drug counter she ended up 4th in place, loudly complaining about the pain she was in & couldn't wait. The girl at the cash register suggested she sit down instead of standing at her walker. Well, she would rather stand, bellow & complain. I was second. I did not give my place up to her, but the lovely young man who was third did, & I thought he was super for doing so. I understand how the old broad felt, I had been in terrible pain for years & who knows? might be again, but.............

It is interesting that you & Pete had the same thought at the same time. It shows how comfortable you are together & for each other. It's really great when you know someone so very well. "You Read My Mind"!!!!!!!! I can still say that with my son, & did with my mother & husband; not too many other people, & certainly not frequently. That's the Upside to your story!
Snooz

First thought

Post by Snooz »

I doubt I'd even believe his story unless I had actually been there when he fell from bed. If he's that injured, he should be in the hospital.
Oscar Namechange

First thought

SnoozeAgain;1437221 wrote: I doubt I'd even believe his story unless I had actually been there when he fell from bed. If he's that injured, he should be in the hospital.

Peter offered to call a paramedic and he declined. I really believe he did It because he knew we were busy with other people...
Chloe_88

First thought

Post by Chloe_88 »

I have learnt to listen to my "gut" feeling.. took some practice to see (or feel) the difference between "gut feeling" and judging a book by it's cover though..

Having "a gut feeling" but not wanting to judge a book by it's cover, in hindsight I've had to tell myself on several occasions: See I told you so!
gmc

First thought

Post by gmc »

How you suss out people is based (I think) a large extent on how you read their body language and facial expressions, interpersonal distance for instance, some people get it all wrong and are oblivious other cultures have different standards. Our language is full of expressions that recognise the fact - we talk about guarded expressions, not looking people in the eye, poker faced, face like thunder.

Brought up to be polite we sometimes ignore what our senses are screaming at us and do the "right thing" bet you peter felt the same as you but just overrode his instincts because he's basically a decent bloke. - not suggesting you're (oscar that is) nasty or anything maybe you've just earned to be blunt and trust your instincts more.

As an aside I think that is why some cultures like to hide their women's faces it's a form of power over them that stops them being able to interact with those around them.
Oscar Namechange

First thought

But what I find so Interesting Is that the ' First thought' Is a thought that pops Into our minds without thought... as mad as that sounds. You're not actively thinking about weighing up a situation.

Invariably, I am not often wrong on first thought and why I go with that gut feeling so often but yes, I have had times where I have pre-judged someone or something and have been wrong.

One Incident that always stands out for me was many years ago In my early 20's. I had walked my dogs In the graveyard next to my home every night for some years late at night In the pitch dark without any worries. One night, totally out of the blue, I got as far as the cemetary gates and just thought ' errr no '. I had an over-whelming sense not to go In to the graveyard and I walked away. Nothing was reported that night and the following night I was back In there. To this day I have no Idea why that happened.
Chloe_88

First thought

Post by Chloe_88 »

oscar;1437287 wrote: But what I find so Interesting Is that the ' First thought' Is a thought that pops Into our minds without thought... as mad as that sounds. You're not actively thinking about weighing up a situation.

Invariably, I am not often wrong on first thought and why I go with that gut feeling so often but yes, I have had times where I have pre-judged someone or something and have been wrong.

One Incident that always stands out for me was many years ago In my early 20's. I had walked my dogs In the graveyard next to my home every night for some years late at night In the pitch dark without any worries. One night, totally out of the blue, I got as far as the cemetary gates and just thought ' errr no '. I had an over-whelming sense not to go In to the graveyard and I walked away. Nothing was reported that night and the following night I was back In there. To this day I have no Idea why that happened.

mmm weird, but always go with your gut! :)
shinning_like_me

First thought

Post by shinning_like_me »

good experiences you guys shared, but there are many instances where everyone of us have the first thoughts that we most of the times reconsider, why. If the first thoughts are mostly right than why should we reconsider. Do we try to mold the bad or negative signals of our mind to be good to others

Return to “General Chit Chat”