Animal Rescues

Discussions about your pets!
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

I'd like to think that for every story of animal neglect or cruelty there's a counter-story that shows the flip-side and somehow even in some small way deflects the harshness that we often see in the world. This story of a dog rescuing and adopting a kitten is great and I'm so glad they're staying together ... she's as proud of that kitten as if she'd given birth to it herself! They're in a foster home now and hopefully will get a lasting home soon ... together.

I think I'll start listing these kinds of stories as I run across them.

Dog Finds A Tiny Kitten, Risks Everything To Save Her
Oscar Namechange

Animal Rescues

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Here's another for you Tabby..

Dog too terrified to lift his head after years of abuse gets his confidence back through love of new owners | Mail Online
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Animal Rescues

Post by Snooz »

Police Officers Stop Abuse to Puppy & Adopt Her | Life With Dogs
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

oscar;1436827 wrote: Here's another for you Tabby..

Dog too terrified to lift his head after years of abuse gets his confidence back through love of new owners | Mail Online

Thank you, that's a wonderful story! So glad the new owners felt that he was worth another chance!
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

SnoozeAgain;1436829 wrote: Police Officers Stop Abuse to Puppy & Adopt Her | Life With Dogs

Another good one! I hope she is spoiled rotten!
LarsMac

Animal Rescues

Post by LarsMac »

My sister-in-law adopted a dog that had lived in an abusive home for his first year and a half.

He was one of those "Shi Tzu" and "who knows" mutts. A cute little guy.

He would have nothing to do with men, when he first came to her house.

When we would come over for a visit, he would growl and bark, and then go hide.

But we would basically ignore him. "accidentally" drop a little food off our plates, and pay him little mind when he came to see what we had dropped.

After about a year, he would sidle up and sniff a foot, or a hand, and when we noticed, he would give a growl and go back to his hiding place.

Finally, I managed to talk to him a little, and he'd stop and listen, as long as I didn't move.

Eventually, even let me give a pat, or scratch an ear.

Now he comes over and hangs out with me whenever I visit, and we have become friends. He comes up and will even jump up in my lap as sit for a while.

He has relaxed and never gets nervous when people come around anymore, and likes to hang around with all the guys.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Chloe_88

Animal Rescues

Post by Chloe_88 »

I do love a rescue story that has a happy ending.

As my mum has rescued several dogs over many years, 2 of them realy stand out to me.

One of our dogs Sheba, my mum took in from Battersea dogs home before I was born. She was malnourished and her collar was too tight when she was brought in, the guy slapped her over the counter and said she wasn't any good of a guard dog.

She never got over the tight collar thing psychologically, mum always had to make sloppy food for her or she wouldn't (or maybe thought she couldn't) eat it. I'm sure it was the last, as she would sneakily steal your biscuits when you weren't looking!

She was the best guard dog ever, during this time I was also born.. And whenever my brother was sick (which he was alot when he was little) she would lay under his bed, and if something happend, she would run into my mum&dads room waking them up.

After this we got our Max. and when he died in 2001, someone broke into our house. And even though we had just lost Max, and we were still grieving , 2 months later Oscar arrived.

Oscar was just under the age of 1. Malnourished, beaten, at some time most likely had his ribs broken and he was shot through the ear. They told us at the shelter that she would probably not survive and if he died within 2 weeks, we could pick another dog or have our money back. But he grew stronger every day, and the vet said he had never seen a dog bounce back so well!

We had him for 12 wonderful years, and in 2012 at the age of 13, we had to say goodbye.

Oscar in 2011 after a swim:

tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

LarsMac;1436913 wrote: My sister-in-law adopted a dog that had lived in an abusive home for his first year and a half.

He was one of those "Shi Tzu" and "who knows" mutts. A cute little guy.

He would have nothing to do with men, when he first came to her house.

When we would come over for a visit, he would growl and bark, and then go hide.

But we would basically ignore him. "accidentally" drop a little food off our plates, and pay him little mind when he came to see what we had dropped.

After about a year, he would sidle up and sniff a foot, or a hand, and when we noticed, he would give a growl and go back to his hiding place.

Finally, I managed to talk to him a little, and he'd stop and listen, as long as I didn't move.

Eventually, even let me give a pat, or scratch an ear.

Now he comes over and hangs out with me whenever I visit, and we have become friends. He comes up and will even jump up in my lap as sit for a while.

He has relaxed and never gets nervous when people come around anymore, and likes to hang around with all the guys.

Success!! Trust is the key and I'm so glad your family was able to win over the little dog. :-4
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Chloe_88;1436962 wrote: I do love a rescue story that has a happy ending.

As my mum has rescued several dogs over many years, 2 of them realy stand out to me.

One of our dogs Sheba, my mum took in from Battersea dogs home before I was born. She was malnourished and her collar was too tight when she was brought in, the guy slapped her over the counter and said she wasn't any good of a guard dog.

She never got over the tight collar thing psychologically, mum always had to make sloppy food for her or she wouldn't (or maybe thought she couldn't) eat it. I'm sure it was the last, as she would sneakily steal your biscuits when you weren't looking!

She was the best guard dog ever, during this time I was also born.. And whenever my brother was sick (which he was alot when he was little) she would lay under his bed, and if something happend, she would run into my mum&dads room waking them up.

After this we got our Max. and when he died in 2001, someone broke into our house. And even though we had just lost Max, and we were still grieving , 2 months later Oscar arrived.

Oscar was just under the age of 1. Malnourished, beaten, at some time most likely had his ribs broken and he was shot through the ear. They told us at the shelter that she would probably not survive and if he died within 2 weeks, we could pick another dog or have our money back. But he grew stronger every day, and the vet said he had never seen a dog bounce back so well!

We had him for 12 wonderful years, and in 2012 at the age of 13, we had to say goodbye.

Oscar in 2011 after a swim:

What a beautiful dog!! And a great reminisce!
Chloe_88

Animal Rescues

Post by Chloe_88 »

tabby;1436982 wrote: What a beautiful dog!! And a great reminisce!

Thanks Tabby :)

Today my mum and I were looking for some photos and came across pictures of our first walk with Oscar.. And Oh my did he look awfull and skinny. It was amazing to see him get better every day, and so strange that a dog that was basically beaten and almost starved to death became such a loving dog, to all animals, people and even children!

The trust and love that dogs (and other animals) can still have in us humans after such tremendous events, is truly amazing.
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Go kitty go! :-6

Stray Calgary kitten boards transit, rides rails to new home with CTrain employee | National Post
Oscar Namechange

Animal Rescues

WATCH: amazing rescue of struggling seal caught in buoy lines off Cape Cod | IFAW - International Fund for Animal Welfare
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

oscar;1438416 wrote: WATCH: amazing rescue of struggling seal caught in buoy lines off Cape Cod | IFAW - International Fund for Animal Welfare

Great story, so glad they were able to help free him!
Oscar Namechange

Animal Rescues

Orangutan tied up and taunted by cruel mob which made her climb up a pole is rescued by a British charity | Mail Online
Oscar Namechange

Animal Rescues

Hunters give baby elk second chance at life | ksl.com
Oscar Namechange

Animal Rescues

Hiker carries dog to safety after he was shot and left on mountain | Mail Online
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Thank you for those, Oscar! :-6

Here's another one ... if you click the arrow under the photo, you can see how the dog looks after his haircut.

Dog rescued from wilderness recovering | Brantford Expositor
Oscar Namechange

Animal Rescues

tabby;1439659 wrote: Thank you for those, Oscar! :-6

Here's another one ... if you click the arrow under the photo, you can see how the dog looks after his haircut.

Dog rescued from wilderness recovering | Brantford Expositor

Oh my !!!! Poor boy !!!
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

An astounding recovery ~~~~~> Pit Blog, Story of a winner
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Lucky squirrel!

What This Man Found In A Bag Of Mulch Will Blow Your Mind. What He Did With It Will Melt Your Heart.
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Good luck little seal pups!

Vancouver Aquarium Releases Rehabilitated Harbor Seals - ZooBorns
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

There are 20 photos of this infant kitten's rescue & progress. You may have to click on some blue text at the end of about 10 of the photos to view them all!

Meet Roscoe - Imgur
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Those plastic rings can be so treacherous to wildlife.

Possum - Imgur
LarsMac

Animal Rescues

Post by LarsMac »

Poor critter. Probably had been stuck in that thing for days.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Lucky Luna!

Rescue - Imgur
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Chips the Baby Bobcat

tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Labor intensive but the successful ending had to have felt great to them!

Hand Raising a Baby Songbird - Imgur
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Rescued cougar orphans

Orphaned cougar cubs moving on after 6-week stay at zoo | Oregon Zoo
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Biscuits the Flying Squirrel

Biscuits the Flying Squirrel was Found Near Dead. This is Her Awesome Rescue.
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Yay Dora!

tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

From rags to riches!

12 Amazing Before-And-After Pictures Of Rescue Dogs Show Just How Far A Little Love Can Go
LarsMac

Animal Rescues

Post by LarsMac »

Here's one for y'all:

Hoisted to his feet, a second chance comes

As hope of saving the young bay gelding faded, a man who assisted in hoisting the starving animal up after he had been down and unable to stand for hours, gently took the racehorse’s head in his hands, and shouted: “Come on! Stay with us!”
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Animal Rescues

Post by tabby »

Some of these "before" photos can be hard to look at but there's redemption in the "after" photos. The differences are amazing!

Click the orange bar at the bottom of the page and it'll show you more.

10+ Incredible Before & After Rescue Dog Transformations Show What Love Can Do | Bored Panda

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”