The next Travon Martin Case

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I'm pretty sure I started a thread on this case when it first took place. What do those boisterous FG members have to say when the white guy appears so obviously guilty of murder? Anything? Which genes should be removed from the pool this time?

A white man named Michael Dunn shot and killed an unarmed black teenager named Jordan Davis in Florida last year after a brief dispute. The prosecutor overseeing the case is Florida state attorney Angela Corey. Dunn, who will be tried for murder, claims the shooting was in self-defense. Sound familiar?

Now that the state's nationally televised and notorious self-defense case has ended with the acquittal of defendant George Zimmerman, a next potentially high-profile test of the state's criminal-justice system may come when Dunn goes on trial for first-degree murder this September. And while Florida's controversial Stand Your Ground gun law wasn't invoked during the trial (although it did factor into the jury's decision, according to one juror)*, it may be tested in the Dunn case.Here's Florida’s Next Trayvon Martin Case | Mother Jones
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, this seems a lot more clear-cut than the Martin-Zimmerman affair.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

This is nothing like Zimmerman's case and it's racist to say it is.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

" The white Guy "

That's racist.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Those are the kind of "White Guys" I tend to stay away from.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

The thing about this white guy is that he apparently assumed it would be safe to say there was a gun in the SUV with the four teens. I have the sense that since the SUV had four blacks sitting in it there must be a gun, or perhaps drugs. Why would he say they brandished a gun if he hadn't seen one?

The difference between this and the Zimmerman case is there are witnesses, and not only the three surviving teens either.

Here we have two separate incidences where in both the black person was not armed and the "white" person is when it's often assumed blacks are because they're out for trouble. If Martin had been out looking for trouble he might have been armed, but he wasn't. For all we know Zimmerman might have been suspicious Martin was armed - Why? Because he was young, black and looking for trouble. Martin must have had an attitude too, right? After all he was having trouble in school and mom couldn't handle him at the time. All 17 year old Travon Martin's fault. That's right, he should have died so he couldn't raise children himself. Good reasoning!

We'll never know because we only got one side of the story in that case. Not that the jury didn't make the best decision they could. They did.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1432051 wrote: The thing about this white guy is that he apparently assumed it would be safe to say there was a gun in the SUV with the four teens. I have the sense that since the SUV had four blacks sitting in it there must be a gun, or perhaps drugs. Why would he say they brandished a gun if he hadn't seen one?

The difference between this and the Zimmerman case is there are witnesses, and not only the three surviving teens either.

Here we have two separate incidences where in both the black person was not armed and the "white" person is when it's often assumed blacks are because they're out for trouble. If Martin had been out looking for trouble he might have been armed, but he wasn't. For all we know Zimmerman might have been suspicious Martin was armed - Why? Because he was young, black and looking for trouble. Martin must have had an attitude too, right? After all he was having trouble in school and mom couldn't handle him at the time. All 17 year old Travon Martin's fault. That's right, he should have died so he couldn't raise children himself. Good reasoning!

We'll never know because we only got one side of the story in that case. Not that the jury didn't make the best decision they could. They did.

The only things these two cases have in common:

Florida

A "white guy" shot a "black kid"

Well, one other thing.

The "white guy" behaved stupidly.

But this guy was not being attacked. He was not lying on the pavement getting beat up by a kid. He had no real reason to fear for his life. He fled the scene after the shooting. The cops had to go find him.

He could not even pretend that he had a reason for pulling his gun and firing it.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1432053 wrote: The only things these two cases have in common:

Florida

A "white guy" shot a "black kid"

Well, one other thing.

The "white guy" behaved stupidly.

But this guy was not being attacked. He was not lying on the pavement getting beat up by a kid. He had no real reason to fear for his life. He fled the scene after the shooting. The cops had to go find him.

He could not even pretend that he had a reason for pulling his gun and firing it.He said he was in fear of his life because he claimed the teens were getting out of the vehicle and had a gun. The only difference is that he shot earlier than Zimmerman did.

I don't doubt Zimmerman was getting beat up. I'd like to know the real exchange between the two though. I don't necessarily believe everything Zimmerman said, but that's all we have.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1432056 wrote: He said he was in fear of his life because he claimed the teens were getting out of the vehicle and had a gun. The only difference is that he shot earlier than Zimmerman did.

I don't doubt Zimmerman was getting beat up. I'd like to know the real exchange between the two though. I don't necessarily believe everything Zimmerman said, but that's all we have.

I don't believe everything ANYBODY says. Especially after they have killed someone.
- DH Lawrence
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

God forbid we should let the trial system work and trust that jurors are reasonably intelligent.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1432068 wrote: God forbid we should let the trial system work and trust that jurors are reasonably intelligent.I'm sorry, is there someone or some group trying to prevent the trial system from working in this case? If the story is off limits to you until the verdict is in then there's always the option to not participate in the discussion. I wouldn't want to confuse you or ask you to compromise your principles.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

oscar;1432047 wrote: " The white Guy "

That's racist.Yes, Oscar, that qualifies me as a racist. You got me.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

SnoozeAgain;1432046 wrote: This is nothing like Zimmerman's case and it's racist to say it is.I suppose you would have expanded on that comment had you wanted to, but I'll make the offer anyway.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1432074 wrote: I'm sorry, is there someone or some group trying to prevent the trial system from working in this case? If the story is off limits to you until the verdict is in then there's always the option to not participate in the discussion. I wouldn't want to confuse you or ask you to compromise your principles.

Why does the thing have to be on the evening news every night for the trial system to work?

Seems to me that the publicity all but ruins the opportunity for a fair and impartial jury.

I my opinion, this guy should spend the rest of his days in Raiford.

I could not say that about Zimmerman. He was just a dumb-ass who walked into a shitstorm.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1432094 wrote: Why does the thing have to be on the evening news every night for the trial system to work?

Seems to me that the publicity all but ruins the opportunity for a fair and impartial jury.

I could not say that about Zimmerman. He was just a dumb-ass who walked into a shitstorm.

I couldn't have said it better.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Originally Posted by oscar

" The white Guy "

That's racist.

Ahso!;1432075 wrote: Yes, Oscar, that qualifies me as a racist. You got me.

No she doesn't. There is nothing racist in calling out the top echelon. We're head of the food chain, let's not pretend offense.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I think it has something to do with the Neanderthal genes that most people of European ancestry have.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1432094 wrote: Why does the thing have to be on the evening news every night for the trial system to work?

From this side of the pond he looks like a dumb-ass who stirred up a shitstorm - big difference.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1432751 wrote: From this side of the pond he looks like a dumb-ass who stirred up a shitstorm - big difference.

We have plenty of people on this side of the pond who also have not idea of the politics involved.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1432767 wrote: We have plenty of people on this side of the pond who also have not idea of the politics involved.

The verdict in a murder case should never involve politics :-p
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1432794 wrote: The verdict in a murder case should never involve politics :-p

Agreed, nor media influence.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1432794 wrote: The verdict in a murder case should never involve politics :-p

To bring charges and prosecute should never be because of politics, like is exactly what happened here.

I have to hand it to Martin's mom, she knew the right levers to pull to garner attention and money. Got the attention of proven slanderer and open bigot Al Sharpton and buddy hymie town Jackson.

President Obama sticks his two cents in saying Martin looks like the son he never had.

Governor feeling the heat put his attack dog, Angela Corey

Having no evidence Corey decided to bypass a grand jury and present a sorry azz AFFIDAVIT OF PROBABLE CAUSE

From the beginning the trial was a farce as the prosecution withheld exculpatory evidence and literally at last minute added charges the defense had no idea of.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Have any of you heard the 911 call all the way through from Zimmerman? just on that phone call alone I would have convicted him .
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

fuzzywuzzy;1432864 wrote: Have any of you heard the 911 call all the way through from Zimmerman? just on that phone call alone I would have convicted him .

That was the first piece of evidence to showed that Mr.Zimmerman is a stand up guy. George seems to be the kind of guy I would welcome in my neighborhood.

911 CALL
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Fuzz, tude neglected to tell you his neighborhood has 4 people in it & he is one of them! ;-)
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1432929 wrote: Fuzz, tude neglected to tell you his neighborhood has 4 people in it & he is one of them! ;-)

I am married, so that makes two. It is not clear to me where Anne got another two.

Whatever, not important.

Go back to the 911 CALL ?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

"I am married, so that makes two. It is not clear to me where Anne got another two."

The NSA told me. ;-)
Oscar Namechange

tude dog;1432932 wrote:

Go back to the 911 CALL ? Actually, to me, listening to that call, I would say Z Is far from the hot head portrayed. He sounds totally calm and In control. Some one that calm doesn't suddenly shoot someone for no motive.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1432934 wrote: "I am married, so that makes two. It is not clear to me where Anne got another two."

The NSA told me. ;-)

I am very disappointed, once again.

How can we believe anything if the NSA can't get that right. Bettcha the IRS could set them straight.:yh_ttth:
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

oscar;1432936 wrote: Actually, to me, listening to that call, I would say Z Is far from the hot head portrayed. He sounds totally calm and In control. Some one that calm doesn't suddenly shoot someone for no motive.

He did express some frustration, and all things considered, I understand.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1432944 wrote: I am very disappointed, once again.

How can we believe anything if the NSA can't get that right. Bettcha the IRS could set them straight.:yh_ttth:

Like WMD's in Iraq?
Oscar Namechange

AnneBoleyn;1432960 wrote: Like WMD's in Iraq? Tony Blair said there were WMD's In Iraq so It was true.

It Wasn't Me.wmv - YouTube
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

fuzzywuzzy;1432864 wrote: Have any of you heard the 911 call all the way through from Zimmerman? just on that phone call alone I would have convicted him .

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1432797 wrote: Agreed, nor media influence.Why not? These politicians are elected to serve the people and when the people are informed by the media of what might have been an injustice they put pressure on their elected officials to put it to a jury of peers (a vote) by presenting the available evidence. The media plays a vital role in keeping the public informed, and rightly so. The system worked exactly as it should in the Zimmerman case.

Also, I read recently where one Zimmerman juror made a statement of Zimmerman being justified in shooting Martin to which the rest of the jurors put out a joint statement of their own disavowing what that single juror had said. Later one other juror spoke out saying Zimmerman got away with murder.

I'm surprised none of the unbiased members here have supplied any of that information yet. :wah:

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Trayvon has passed from person to symbol. Truth is irrelevant. The truth would probably do more harm to the cause than good.

Everyone Has One Great Poem Inside Them, And This Actor Just Nailed His
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

All this weeping over a cockroach.

I forget where I heard the phrase, "The Legacy of Travon".

Gotta be kidding me.

I went to school with Trayvons and have ever since resented the public school system which incarcerated students who never committed or were convicted of any crime.

All that was before courts created forced busing to spread the pain.

It never ends.

Seeing stuff like this makes me glad I didn't get the school bus drivers job I applied for.

Imagine going to prison, accused of racism attempting to stop the beating of a 13 yr old white kid.

The only problem with the bus driver was he was way to complacent. There are many items the State of Kansas require a school bus driver have on hand. One not required, but prudent,
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Accountable;1433219 wrote: Trayvon has passed from person to symbol. Truth is irrelevant. The truth would probably do more harm to the cause than good.

You have a failure to communicate with or understand black people, particularly boys & men. Your truth is not theirs & probably not mine, at least in this case. What is the racial make-up of your student body, I wonder?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

"I went to school with Trayvons and have ever since resented the public school system which incarcerated students who never committed or were convicted of any crime."

TD, I understand you a lot better now. My brother-in-law used to be this way & say things like that. He grew up poor in a Newark NJ housing project. He was not Jewish, by the way. The way you speak I have my doubts you were born or raised a Jew. Certainly not the typical. Put it this way, you're unique.

"All this weeping over a cockroach."

I don't care how much you suffered as a kid, this language is where we part company. If you were alive in the thirties & forties in Germany, Poland, etc., that is exactly how they would have described YOU. Grow beyond your childhood, if you have the capacity, that is.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1433265 wrote: All this weeping over a cockroach.

I forget where I heard the phrase, "The Legacy of Travon".

Gotta be kidding me.

I went to school with Trayvons and have ever since resented the public school system which incarcerated students who never committed or were convicted of any crime.

All that was before courts created forced busing to spread the pain.

It never ends.

Seeing stuff like this makes me glad I didn't get the school bus drivers job I applied for.

Imagine going to prison, accused of racism attempting to stop the beating of a 13 yr old white kid.

The only problem with the bus driver was he was way to complacent. There are many items the State of Kansas require a school bus driver have on hand. One not required, but prudent,Your relentlessly despicable assault on young blacks in this forum is no different than what went on on that bus.

I'm sorry the adults in your life let you down when other kids, some of whom happened to be black, beat you up. It's a shame you were incapable of defending yourself, or even that you were left in a position by your guardians to have to do that on a continual basis. However, your inability and refusal to widen your scope and see the larger picture at your advanced age causes your cat-cries to sound hollow.

This practice of yours to find isolated incidents of points you try to make only exposes your lack of reason. If I looked I'm reasonably certain I could find a video or two of a group of white kids beating someone up.

Try getting past the disappointments of your guardians of the past you harbor and endeavor learning about what it is that makes any person, white or black, want to do harm to others. You might even begin with you.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

How about this lovely pic of Emmett Till?

Attached files
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

tude dog;1433265 wrote: All this weeping over a cockroach.

That's really unacceptable language. I've agreed with you to a certain extent on this topic but that really pushed the boundaries of decent behavior.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

tude dog;1433265 wrote: All this weeping over a cockroach.What Snooze said.

AnneBoleyn;1433267 wrote: You have a failure to communicate with or understand black people, particularly boys & men.Based on what? My pointing out that the video has nothing to do with the Martin/Zimmerman case? Not good enough.

AnneBoleyn;1433267 wrote: Your truth is not theirs & probably not mine, at least in this case. They took a tragic incident and made it into something it wasn't, so as to fit their agenda. That's my opinion, but it's borne out by fact.

AnneBoleyn;1433267 wrote: What is the racial make-up of your student body, I wonder?98% Hispanic, 100% low-income/free lunch/Tile I. Sorry to disappoint (knowing full well you'll deny being disappointed). Looks like you've got quite a lot of racial guilt-baggage you carry around.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Looks like you've got quite a lot of racial guilt-baggage you carry around.

I have nothing to feel guilty about. I'm not surprised mostly Hispanic, I keep up with the news.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Well yeah, he does live in Texas. No one's shocked to discover there are Cubans in Florida either.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

SnoozeAgain;1433334 wrote: Well yeah, he does live in Texas. No one's shocked to discover there are Cubans in Florida either.and Jews. Don't forget the Jews.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Accountable;1433366 wrote: and Jews. Don't forget the Jews.

Obviously not enough to change that backward state.

Return to “Current Events”