White flight ?

Bruv

White flight ?

Post by Bruv »

I was born a Londoner, just.

My birth was in Eltham at the then extreme edge of South East London, the town that gave us the Stephen Lawrence murder, I don't ever remember it as being a racist area, although people since have told me it was and still is.It is most definitely more racially diverse now, than when I lived there.

So with this dramatic change in ethnicity, should there be positive discrimination for the force that polices the area that is London ?

The Metropolitan Police Force think it may help......

I am in two minds, but given the problems facing us today, having a full working knowledge of the cultures involved by recruiting people from those cultures, makes sense to me. It might only need a jump start, get the first few into the system, and it should snowball naturally.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

White flight ?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Well first of all, at last, we are recognising white flight and It's effects. We have come a long way since 20 years ago when Nick Griffin warned this would happen In our cities but what a surprise, he was branded racist and dismissed as scaremongering.

I don't think It's a good Idea. Put It this way, If you went to live In Pakistan, do you think the government would change laws to let you have white Christian police officers?

What we are doing again Is pandering.

If anyone wants to come to the UK, shouldn't they embrace our laws, our culture, our way of life, not change It.

Take Luton as an example. 30 years ago there were a few thousand Muslims, now there are 50,000 Muslims. It's natural that any new Immigrants coming to the UK will want to settle where there Is already a large population of Muslims or any other ethnic minority because they feel comfortable living among their own people and culture. Yet, by the same token, the white British feel more and more uncomfortable living In an area that's become alien to them so they move out to somewhere they do feel comfortable.

How can this Idea make things better? We already have no-go zones for white British. Surely putting police officers of the same ethnic background will just add to that?

Another social experiment to appease rather than address the problem.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

White flight ?

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1428821 wrote:

What we are doIng agaIn is panderIng.....................

If anyone wants to come to the UK, shouldn't they embrace our laws, our culture, our way of lIfe, not change it.

Surely puttIng polIce offIcers of the same ethnIc background wIll just add to that?

Another socIal experIment to appease rather than address the problem.

Pandering or including ?

These people are not newcomers, the latest beligerants were born and bred, but didn't feel included...................obviously not our fault you say ?

The police officers would be policing everybody, changing our perception of the aliens in our midst...............whats the matter with that ?

Ok then...........no more experiments..............address and solve 'The Problem' and....perleeeese don't give us the BNP line of repatriating those that want to go.....many if not most are UK born and bred, and therefore our problem, with nowhere to go.
Oscar Namechange

White flight ?

We have cities where white British are the minority at around 40 percent of the population. They have moved out because they feel alienated In their own surroundings.

Would putting ethnic police officers Into the area's cause further alienation to the remaining white British ?

Would they feel less able to report crime ?

Take Tower Hamlets for example. Putting ethnic police officers Into this area would surely worsen the problem and make It more of a no-go zone than ever.....

Then you're on route to segregation.

Tower Hamlets Taliban: Death threats to women and gays attacked in the streets | Mail Online
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

White flight ?

Post by Bruv »

I think your argument is FOR the inclusion of positive discrimination.

Police with knowledge of the culture will be better able to combat the problems in such areas, and give the radical ready youth less to be angry about, so thanks for putting it that way.
Oscar Namechange

White flight ?

Bruv;1428835 wrote: I think your argument is FOR the inclusion of positive discrimination.

Police with knowledge of the culture will be better able to combat the problems in such areas, and give the radical ready youth less to be angry about, so thanks for putting it that way. There has to balance or we are looking at some cities becoming like East LA and East Palo Alto In America and segregation.
Saint_

White flight ?

Post by Saint_ »

The problem with L.A. is not necessarily immigration. Our country had a huge influx of immigrants in the 1920s and was much the better for it. Science, technology, music, everything flourished with the infusion of new cultures.

The problem with L.A. is that second and even third generation Hispanic immigrants have failed to assimilate into American culture. They haven't embraced the customs, they haven't learned the culture, and worst of all, they have failed to learn the language.

What happens when this occurs is called "Balkanization." You basically have people setting up a smaller country within a country. Since they do not interact and cannot speak with the natives, this situation breeds distrust. Normally, they do not vote, so even in democracies, the larger native group will pass restrictive laws against the immigrants. Hatred and fear grow.

The eventual result is genocide.

If you want to move to a country and become a citizen of that country...do that. Do not try to make the country become like you. (I wouldn't dream of moving to France and asking the French to all speak my language!) Go ahead and hold on to your old traditions and cultural values, but you must at least speak the language and assimilate into the new culture.
Oscar Namechange

White flight ?

Saint_;1428843 wrote: The problem with L.A. is not necessarily immigration. Our country had a huge influx of immigrants in the 1920s and was much the better for it. Science, technology, music, everything flourished with the infusion of new cultures.

The problem with L.A. is that second and even third generation Hispanic immigrants have failed to assimilate into American culture. They haven't embraced the customs, they haven't leanred the culture, and worst of all, they have failed to learn the language.

What happens when this occurs is called "Balkanization." You basically have people setting up a smaller country within a country. Since they do not interact and cannot speak with the natives, this situation breeds distrust. Normally, they do not vote, so even in democracies, the larger native group will pass restrictive laws against the immigrants. Hatred and fear grow.

. That Is ExACTLY what has happened here,
Saint_

White flight ?

Post by Saint_ »

Speaking of white flight, we've been seeing a jump in the number of Anglo-American (I don't like assigning colors to people) families moving to New Mexico in the last couple of years. Not down south, though, just up north. Most of them are retirees as well. There are some very nice houses going up and our economy is doing well despite the fact that drilling in our area is down.
along-for-the-ride

White flight ?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

"If you want to move to a country and become a citizen of that country...do that. Do not try to make the country become like you. (I wouldn't dream of moving to France and asking the French to all speak my language!) Go ahead and hold on to your old traditions and cultural values, but you must at least speak the language and assimilate into the new culture."

Well said, Saint. I agree.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
AnneBoleyn

White flight ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

along-for-the-ride;1428927 wrote: "If you want to move to a country and become a citizen of that country...do that. Do not try to make the country become like you. (I wouldn't dream of moving to France and asking the French to all speak my language!) Go ahead and hold on to your old traditions and cultural values, but you must at least speak the language and assimilate into the new culture."

Well said, Saint. I agree.

Well said. I agree too.

Sometimes I feel I'm living in the old Soviet Union, with all the Russians around. They are the majority in my part of the USA.

Return to “Societal Issues News”