Forum Garden Puppies

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Oscar Namechange »

It's 05.20 am 6th May as I write this...

Been up all night with my little dog who's been In labour.

Mr O said he was going to name the puppies after FG members.

A Boy Accountable was born at 03.30 am the first.

Ten minutes ago at 05.10 am the second was born.... another boy....pure white and a right old fatty... This was a nightmare breach birth and thank God I had my kY Jelly to hand.... what else could we call him but Snowfire..... trouble maker lol

Coffee then hopefully, like my local bus service there will be another along In an hour.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

Puppy number 3.... a girl.... markings perfectly symetrical... Snooze... who else.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snooz »

I am deeply honored. Photos soon, I hope. I can't wait to see the puppies.
Accountable

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Accountable »

I think gobsmacked is the word I'm looking for ... and honored as well. It's because of his closed eyes and unusually large mouth, innit? :yh_wink
Snowfire

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snowfire »

I'm honoured.....as long as Snowfire doesnt turn out to be the runt of the litter
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

After an exhausting night and morning, I had 4 puppies but am very sad to say that one was still born. All 4 pups are whoppers, real fatties. The still born was breach birth and got stuck In the birth canal. I managed to get her out but she was cold. I tried for a good time trying to revive her and even gave her mouth to mouth but to no avail. Then the next one came breach also but I managed to get him out In time and got him breathing. It was a really fraught morning but Rosie Is fussing over them like an ole mother hen already. Photo's to follow later.

My poor little dog has spent the morning with my hand right up her birth canal and she's been a little diamond, letting me do that. How some people go out or go to bed leaving their dogs to birth alone Is just beyond me.

There are no runts In the surviving three but even after a few hours i can see the dominant one Is Snowfire. Accountable Is the clever one, finding the teat underneath the others where Snowfire just stands on the others heads and barges his way In....

I have three lovely healthy pups that's the main thing and Rosie Is doing well.

Got to have some sleep and then will post some photographs.
AnneBoleyn

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Congratulations on a job well done Oscar, & I must say, I love how you named them!
Accountable

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Accountable »

oscar;1426218 wrote: There are no runts In the surviving three but even after a few hours i can see the dominant one Is Snowfire. Accountable Is the clever one, finding the teat underneath the others where Snowfire just stands on the others heads and barges his way In.
That sounds about right, then. :D

Glad that mom is doing well. Are difficult births common with this breed?
Snowfire

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1426218 wrote: .....Snowfire just stands on the others heads and barges his way In....

I've always been the same when it comes to food and breasts

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

Accountable;1426230 wrote: That sounds about right, then. :D

Glad that mom is doing well. Are difficult births common with this breed?

I just woke up so while I am waiting for Peter to return with my Chinese take out and then get the pics loaded.... this Is how NOT to deal with a breach birth. Don't watch this to the end If you don't want to see a dead puppy but the guy In this demonstrates the very worst way of dealing with a stuck breach. He deserves a punch In the face.

Dog giving birth to breech puppy - YouTube

Any breed can have a breach birth but myself, I have never had one let alone two.

The correct way and first of all, Is never panic because you stress the Mum out, Is to use KY jelly and slide you hand palm up under the pup as far as up the birth canal as you can so the pup Is In your palm. Then you slide the Pup out. You never pull because I the pup survives, pulling will break his neck and dislocate hips and legs.

Our still born was already cold when I got out because the head was just stuck fast. I tried everything for about half an hour but to no avail. After that when I saw feet first with the next one, my heart sank but got him out with the same method quicker and as soon as I rubbed him In a towel, he drew breath.

Although I myself have never had a birthing as difficult as this one, thankfully, I have always done my research and am prepared for the worst should It happen.

If you don't get the breach out quickly, all the others can die also.

My last Jack Russell who had 3 litters very easily was twice the size of Rosie and she always had 6 puppies so they were smaller. Rosie's 4 were whoppers and I think It was the sie of them that led to the complications.
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

I have to apologise for the quality of pics. They were taken very soon after birth and Mum Is quite stressy so I will tae some more when she's recovered.

Left to right, Snooze, Accountable and Snowfire

Rosie has a treat coming now. Been slow braising her liver, kidneys and steak... rich In Iron.

Attached files
Snooz

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snooz »

Snooze is perfect. Snowfire looks like a little piglet.
AnneBoleyn

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by AnneBoleyn »

SnoozeAgain;1426253 wrote: Snooze is perfect. Snowfire looks like a little piglet.

No, he does not! He looks like my girl Buffy if she were a dog! I would probably pick Snooze though as I learned from Buffy how sweet a girl pet is. I always had boy pets.

Gosh, Mama sure looks exhausted, as she should.

Attached files
tabby

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by tabby »

Awwwww ... congratulations, Oscar! I'm so glad everything went well! I would have a hard time leaving them alone. Rosie looks like a proud mama!
Snooz

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snooz »

AnneBoleyn;1426254 wrote: No, he does not! He looks like my girl Buffy if she were a dog! I would probably pick Snooze though as I learned from Buffy how sweet a girl pet is. I always had boy pets.

Gosh, Mama sure looks exhausted, as she should.

No, I meant the Snowfire that's a member here. hehe
AnneBoleyn

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by AnneBoleyn »

SnoozeAgain;1426265 wrote: No, I meant the Snowfire that's a member here. hehe

Oh, I see. Alrighty then! :wah:
Accountable

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Accountable »

:wah:

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by 911 »

Congrats on your grandbabies.

They are just adorable. I love puppy breath!:D
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

911;1426275 wrote: Congrats on your grandbabies.

They are just adorable. I love puppy breath!:D Oh there Is nothing quite like puppy breath you're right.

Thanks everyone... Mum and babies are thriving this morning.
Snowfire

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snowfire »

Oh lets have a good larf at ol' pig features expense shall we. ha ha bloody ha..snort

Winston Churchill
Snooz

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snooz »

Snowfire;1426316 wrote: Oh lets have a good larf at ol' pig features expense shall we. ha ha bloody ha..snort

This made me laugh SO hard.
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

Slightly better pic of Snooze puppy today. ( front )

Attached files
Lady J

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Lady J »

oscar;1426218 wrote: After an exhausting night and morning, I had 4 puppies but am very sad to say that one was still born. All 4 pups are whoppers, real fatties. The still born was breach birth and got stuck In the birth canal. I managed to get her out but she was cold. I tried for a good time trying to revive her and even gave her mouth to mouth but to no avail. Then the next one came breach also but I managed to get him out In time and got him breathing. It was a really fraught morning but Rosie Is fussing over them like an ole mother hen already. Photo's to follow later.

My poor little dog has spent the morning with my hand right up her birth canal and she's been a little diamond, letting me do that. How some people go out or go to bed leaving their dogs to birth alone Is just beyond me.

Kudos on helping Rosie birth the puppies. :guitarist

I found it intertesting how you claimed you had four puppies. I know it can feel that way.

We are so contected to our pets....
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

Lady J;1426386 wrote: Kudos on helping Rosie birth the puppies. :guitarist

I found it intertesting how you claimed you had four puppies. I know it can feel that way.

We are so contected to our pets.... Thanks LJ...

After all hope was lost, we put the still born In the freezer because the previous day I had bought a lovely Jasmine tree for my garden so she's buried under the tree now.

I know some will think us mad but at the end of the day, she was still a life and we couldn't bear to just throw her away.
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

AnneBoleyn;1426254 wrote: No, he does not! He looks like my girl Buffy if she were a dog! I would probably pick Snooze though as I learned from Buffy how sweet a girl pet is. I always had boy pets.

Gosh, Mama sure looks exhausted, as she should. Now the pups are three days old, you are right about the similarity with Snowfire and your cat because he has light tan coming out on his face now.
AnneBoleyn

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by AnneBoleyn »

oscar;1426476 wrote: Now the pups are three days old, you are right about the similarity with Snowfire and your cat because he has light tan coming out on his face now.

Yes, I was able to see the tan (or Buff, as I call it, hence her name) in the picture you posted. They would look so cute together!
Snowfire

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snowfire »

How's the fat little runt getting on ?

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

Snowfire;1426547 wrote: How's the fat little runt getting on ? Snowfire Is far from the runt....lol... he's the fattest and the biggest of them all. He spends most of the time troughing.... he's going to be a big beautiful boy.
Snowfire

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snowfire »

Of course he is

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

6 days old and they have doubled In size.

Left Is Snowfire at work with his arsse to the camera. Right Is Puppies, Snowfire In the centre with his arsse to the camera.

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

Front view of Snowfire and Accountable at 6 days old

Attached files
Accountable

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Accountable »

I take it that the pillow is Snooze?
Snooz

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snooz »

Just for Snowfire. :P
Accountable

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Accountable »

I forget. How long before their eyes open?
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

Accountable;1426803 wrote: I forget. How long before their eyes open?

It's usually between 14 and 21 days.
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

Just thought I'd share something.

Animals never fail to amaze me.

Mum has only left her crate to go to the toilet and eat In the past week but last night, In the middle of the night she came out and jumped Into bed with us. This was the middle of the night so we were both half asleep wondering what on earth she was up to. Mr O got out of bed to see If she wanted the toilet but No. She kept jumping on us fussing and getting really stressed out which went on for some time. Then she'd go back to the puppies, back to us, back to the puppies pawing them and so It went on. I got out and checked the puppies were alright and they seemed fine nut It's now 4.45 In the morning and we are at a loss as to why she's stressing and pawing them. Then she picked one up In her mouth. jumped on the bed again and stuffed the puppy under MR O's arm pit.... then we realised.... the heating had gone off In the night and her babies were getting cold. We put the heating on and a small electric fire by her crate which warmed the room within about 10 minutes and with that she settled down back In the crate and went to sleep.
Accountable

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Accountable »

sweet.
Snooz

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snooz »

So your husband's armpit is the warmest place in the house?
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

SnoozeAgain;1426825 wrote: So your husband's armpit is the warmest place in the house? According to her, Yes haha
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

A lovely pic today of Snowfire asleep on Accountable and Snooze.... 8 days old.

Attached files
Snooz

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snooz »

They're round little things!
Accountable

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Accountable »

Good mothering, that's what that is!

Um, where's Accountable's head?
tabby

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by tabby »

Adorable!

What color markings does the father have, Oscar?
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

tabby;1426945 wrote: Adorable!

What color markings does the father have, Oscar?

Acc... your head Is sat on by Snowfire.... haha

Tabby, I am going to get a pic of the father when I see my pal next week. He's also Tri-coloured but the Tan Is lighter than the Mother, more Buff.
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

Accountable was the first to fully open his eyes this morning closely followed by Snooze. Snowfire Is doing an Impersonation of a China man right now squinting out of half opened eyes.... I can't see properly with Snowfire but I am just hoping and praying he hasn't got pink eye.

Pics later tonight
Snowfire

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Snowfire »

SnoozeAgain;1426938 wrote: They're round little things!

That's exactly what Snowfire thought as he rested hid head on Snooze. *snigger*

Winston Churchill
Accountable

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Accountable »

oscar;1427558 wrote: Accountable was the first to fully open his eyes this morning closely followed by Snooze. Snowfire Is doing an Impersonation of a China man right now squinting out of half opened eyes.... I can't see properly with Snowfire but I am just hoping and praying he hasn't got pink eye.

Pics later tonight
I've always been an early riser! :-6
Wandrin

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Wandrin »

oscar;1427558 wrote: Accountable was the first to fully open his eyes this morning closely followed by Snooze. Snowfire Is doing an Impersonation of a China man right now squinting out of half opened eyes.... I can't see properly with Snowfire but I am just hoping and praying he hasn't got pink eye.

I'm sure that Accountable urged the others to open their eyes. :)
Accountable

Forum Garden Puppies

Post by Accountable »

Wandrin;1427601 wrote: I'm sure that Accountable urged the others to open their eyes. :):wah:
Oscar Namechange

Forum Garden Puppies

I can only apologise for the delay In pics.

It is near damn Impossible to:

A) Take a pic without Mum sticking her beak In the lens right at the last minute.

B) To stop Puppy from yawning as you click

C) To stop puppy moving as you click.

We hope to have some kind of pictures before close of night.

Return to “General Chit Chat”