Is the UK a country of whiners ?

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

We've had a few threads lately about bankers, welfare reforms etc etc and It got me thinking.

Coupled with having to listen to people whining today that British Gas have dared to make a profit.

Seriously... what ever happened to the old saying " There's always someone worse off than you".

When I look around the world at other countries poverty and economic climes It makes me think we're just all whiners and don't know a good thing when we see It.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

British Gas made profits after raising prices yet again.....................importing energy.

Bankers Bonuses are to be limited EU wide to a mere one years salary, meanwhile anybody with a spare bedroom will have meagre benefits cut.

The rich are becoming richer, luxury sales are up up up.

The poor are unremitingly getting poorer, low cost food stores sales are up up up.

I don't whine.............I whinge
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1421806 wrote: British Gas made profits after raising prices yet again.....................importing energy.

Bankers Bonuses are to be limited EU wide to a mere one years salary, meanwhile anybody with a spare bedroom will have meagre benefits cut.

I don't whine.............I whinge

But... you don't go cold.

You can get some form of welfare and not starve If you're out of work.

You at least have a roof over your head.

Better than some countries.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1421807 wrote: But... you don't go cold.

You can get some form of welfare and not starve If you're out of work.

You at least have a roof over your head.

By the same argument.............I am a hell of a lot less well off than the citizens of some other countries.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

I just hope I'm never stuck at a bus stop with you
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

My country is the same, a nation of whiners.

The really old crap about

"The rich get richer, the poor get poorer."

After a century of that makes me wonder how anybody manages with things my parents couldn't dream of , like TV, microwave ovens.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

The point being missed is the progress we are making towards becoming one of those countries. We're well on our way.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

oscar;1421802 wrote: We've had a few threads lately about bankers, welfare reforms etc etc and It got me thinking.

Coupled with having to listen to people whining today that British Gas have dared to make a profit.

Seriously... what ever happened to the old saying " There's always someone worse off than you".

When I look around the world at other countries poverty and economic climes It makes me think we're just all whiners and don't know a good thing when we see It.

We all want the ultimate, we want the good life. I agree. We have so much to be grateful about. No one promised you a bed of roses....

Time to smile!!
Oscar Namechange

Typical example...

British people whine and complain about the government and when there's an election as was the Eastleigh By-Election last night, only 52% bothered to go and vote but you can bet the 48% who didn't bother to vote will be whining In the morning about the welfare reforms or something else.
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1421802 wrote: We've had a few threads lately about bankers, welfare reforms etc etc and It got me thinking.

You mean the British gas that used to be publicly owned that was sold off under the nonsensical premise that we could all have shares in something we already owned and is now owned by a foreign company that is taking those profits abroad having made their pile at the expense of the british public you can hear them laughing can't you. Some things are too important to be in private hands energy supply is one of the imo. We di know a giood thing when we see it that's why so many people hate thatcher - at least those who understand the damage she did despise her..
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Quit Whining America: Here Are Ten Ways We Can Fix The Country Right Now - Business Insider

From an American perspective......thoughts?
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Oscar Namechange

along-for-the-ride;1421868 wrote: Quit Whining America: Here Are Ten Ways We Can Fix The Country Right Now - Business Insider

From an American perspective......thoughts? That's very Interesting. Thank you.

I particually like:

" Three, stress the importance of education, innovation, and hard work in our youth. Rather than overburdening our youth with debt bills that are not of their making, let us invest in them instead. Our youth is the heart of our future. That has always been and always will be the case, which means that we older people may have to sacrifice a little now in order to keep America strong and vibrant in the future. It is time for baby-boomers (yes, I am one, too) to be selfless rather than selfish. Consider cuts to social security as part of our strategy to invest in our youth.
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

It is time for baby-boomers (yes, I am one, too) to be selfless rather than selfish. Consider cuts to social security as part of our strategy to invest in our youth.

No. Unless the social security cuts are for the wealthy among us. This freaking CEO can write a check or return his when he retires. The rest of the points he makes are pretty good and I am in full agreement.
Oscar Namechange

My Issue with whiners Is this...

I may be at a bus stop listening to some-one drone on about how unfair It is that there are wealthy people getting richer etc etc and I think ' No, you are not wealthy because you dropped out of school at 15 years old, never studied, never applied yourself to anything, never bothered learning a trade and had 4 kids by the time you were 25 years old and now you're whining because some-one else who worked hard has a better house than you'. As an example...

We all make life choices. I have made choices in life that were big mistakes and there are things I wish I had done when I was advised to do them. I feel In this country that there Is a sense of entitlement and It makes me wonder how we went to that within two generations.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Stop whining about whining.

halfway

Post by halfway »

I've enjoyed my time spent training and fighting alongside Brit soldiers. All have been solid, professional soldiers with decent morals and a commitment to mission accomplishment. A few were a bit racist or looked down on those poor souls in a foreign land, but that is human nature shared in humanity throughout the globe.

They (soldiers) love our (US) toys and technology. Especially communications and precision weapons. :)

SAINT should chime in here since he is a retired solider. It is likely he has spent much time with international forces either in schools, major exercises, or combat zones.
My Journal of a New Endeavor
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Three, stress the importance of education, innovation, and hard work in our youth.

That's what parents are for.
Oscar Namechange

AnneBoleyn;1421914 wrote: Stop whining about whining.

from: How to Win Friends & Influence People (not!) Are you whining at me whining at the whiners?
Oscar Namechange

tude dog;1421954 wrote: Three, stress the importance of education, innovation, and hard work in our youth.

That's what parents are for. Good point. I was reading a report the other day that as a nation we mollycoddle children too much and It sets them up as underachievers.
halfway

Post by halfway »

tude dog;1421954 wrote: Three, stress the importance of education, innovation, and hard work in our youth.

That's what parents are for.

We have succeeded in neutering parental action except when we want to deflect from blaming almighty government.

Our individual freedoms as parents have been suspended in the name of safety and health. Big government is one big nanny.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

oscar;1421956 wrote: Are you whining at me whining at the whiners?
A comment like that is why I :-4 you!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

oscar;1421957 wrote: Good point. I was reading a report the other day that as a nation we mollycoddle children too much and It sets them up as underachievers.

There is a lot of that. Also from what I read a move to eliminate winners and losers, everybody wins. That sucks. Teaches nothing.

A great problem are single parent households. They tend to be lower income, especially if headed by a woman. Single women are not ideal for raising sons.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Maybe she can't collect her child support from a deadbeat dad who also abandoned his sons. Maybe. Can't be sure but neither can you. Must be the voice in your head with another great idea. :-3
halfway

Post by halfway »

tude dog;1421982 wrote: There is a lot of that. Also from what I read a move to eliminate winners and losers, everybody wins. That sucks. Teaches nothing.

A great problem are single parent households. They tend to be lower income, especially if headed by a woman. Single women are not ideal for raising sons.

As politically "incorrect" as this may sound to sensitive ears, statistics prove it to be correct regardless of cause.

It is a shame, but a part of society.

When I coached soccer for k-5, it was an ironic observation that many of the parents were adamant there be "no" winners or losers, but that we are "all" winners for playing. After those little rants the kids would come up one on one and asked who really won. I would always get a chuckle at this because those do-gooder, "touchy-feely" folks were operating against a common, built-in and inherent human trait....competition. The kids played to WIN. They wanted to know who won and they could handle the truth if they lost. I don't believe any were "scarred for life" by losing and realizing the world cannot be totally "fair".

Such a shame that in the name of "fairness", we dismantle the trait to win and no longer encourage healthy competition..
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

halfway;1421987 wrote: As politically "incorrect" as this may sound to sensitive ears, statistics prove it to be correct regardless of cause.

When I coached soccer for k-5, it was an ironic observation that many of the parents were adamant there be "no" winners or losers, but that we are "all" winners for playing. After those little rants the kids would come up one on one and asked who really won. I would always get a chuckle at this because those do-gooder, "touchy-feely" folks were operating against a common, built-in and inherent human trait....competition. The kids played to WIN. They wanted to know who won and they could handle the truth if they lost. I don't believe any were "scarred for life" by losing and realizing the world cannot be totally "fair".

Such a shame that in the name of "fairness", we dismantle the trait to win and no longer encourage healthy competition..

Agreed. I think it might be ok to have a small participation trophy for the very young ones, but there should be designated winners too. A child is also hurt if he/she tries very hard & achieves but his/her efforts are overlooked so that someone else doesn't feel bad. Yes, halfway, you are describing 'correctness' run amuck. It's not a shame to work hard & win something.
halfway

Post by halfway »

AnneBoleyn;1421990 wrote: Yes, halfway, you are describing 'correctness' run amuck. It's not a shame to work hard & win something.

Unfortunately, this has permeated the deepest fabric of our society from education to government to business.

The erosion of an American Value?
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1421982 wrote: There is a lot of that. Also from what I read a move to eliminate winners and losers, everybody wins. That sucks. Teaches nothing.

The majority of single mothers are that way not from choice but circumstance - widows for instance I would just love to hear you telling the widow of a soldier that she is not an ideal parent for her son perhaps you one of those hold to that notion that a male brought up in a female environment is more likely to be homosexual. Perhaps the single mother has been abandoned by the father - as it happens I have three nephews and a niece whose father walked on them, their mother, like most of those in similar situations would probably agree the situation is not ideal, the same when single parenthood is the result of divorce but why is it somehow always the mother's fault? Bastards used to be the lowest of the low with no legal status sadly many still think bastards are not worthy people because their mother was not married rather than just seeing them as people.

A dog eat dog winner takes all society what does that teach?

Briotain has always been a nation of whiners with a strong sense of justice and fair play. That's why we had freedom of speech and the rule of law when other nations were wallowing in misery we were in revolt sorting out the bastards that thought they were better than everybody else and were born to rule. We just have to keep re-fighting the same old battles and dealing with the same old arguments, you're poor because you are lazy. Real freedom comes from not only whining but also being prepared to get annoyed and do something to get sort out injustices from those who find the notion the rich get richer and the poor get poorer intolerable and refuse to put up with it. It's the ones who turn round and ask who the F--- do you think you are talking to.

America is up **** creek when are you going to stop being apathetic and get annoyed at the bastards that out you there?
Oscar Namechange

halfway;1421987 wrote: As politically "incorrect" as this may sound to sensitive ears, statistics prove it to be correct regardless of cause.

I have to agree....I believe one of the toughest jobs has to be the chap who does the write up for local football team of 7 year olds... My brother sends me match reports every week because my little nephew plays for them. The poor man has to Include every child In the write up so none feel left out and some-how apply praise even when some kid has played a bummer of a match. No-one can be left out and all must be mentioned and praised. The team coach swaps the players around every ten minutes It seems so every child has a chance of taking part however crap they are at the game.

Now some of your eyes may glaze over here but this Is an example I received last week.

The boys all tried their hardest and were very determined especially Jamie who being the last

line of defence(apart from the keeper),was always wanting to get the tackle in and win the ball first.

He did! Well done to the defence for a clean sheet and to Lewis for scoring his first goal. One not to forget!

Unlucky for Jack to have to go off..Hopefully a quick recovery.

With both matches ending in no goals conceded( a first this season)! Well done all of you, as that is quite an achievement

over a total of 80 mins football. Even Manchester United don't do that regularly!!

I believe it is another little break before the next game.

Lent starts on Wednesday.Don't give up the training!(give up the sweets)haha!

If many errors in this I blame the snow and my long break too!

The "rusty reporter"

Have edited to keep children's name's out.
Oscar Namechange

They're 7 years old FFS !!!!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1421984 wrote: Maybe she can't collect her child support from a deadbeat dad who also abandoned his sons. Maybe. Can't be sure but neither can you. Must be the voice in your head with another great idea. :-3

I wasn't speaking of anyone in particular. My comment was as to a nation as a whole.

CENSUS BRIEF

Nothing new here. Volumes have been written on the subject of the benefit of a two parent home.

I stick by the concept that MEN make better fathers then women. And furthermore, MEN make horrible mothers.

I don't get all this from that voice in my head which "sometimes" comes up with some great idea, just observation of the reality around me.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I refer you, td, to gmc's post on the same subject. We don't live in Ozzie & Harriet land anymore. My husband had a brutal father & 8 sisters. He would have done better without a father like that.

Like you, I don't get all this from that voice in my head which "sometimes" comes up with some great idea, just observation of the reality around me.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1421995 wrote: The majority of single mothers are that way not from choice but circumstance - widows for instance I would just love to hear you telling the widow of a soldier that she is not an ideal parent for her son perhaps you one of those hold to that notion that a male brought up in a female environment is more likely to be homosexual. Perhaps the single mother has been abandoned by the father - as it happens I have three nephews and a niece whose father walked on them, their mother, like most of those in similar situations would probably agree the situation is not ideal, the same when single parenthood is the result of divorce but why is it somehow always the mother's fault? Bastards used to be the lowest of the low with no legal status sadly many still think bastards are not worthy people because their mother was not married rather than just seeing them as people.

A dog eat dog winner takes all society what does that teach?

Briotain has always been a nation of whiners with a strong sense of justice and fair play. That's why we had freedom of speech and the rule of law when other nations were wallowing in misery we were in revolt sorting out the bastards that thought they were better than everybody else and were born to rule. We just have to keep re-fighting the same old battles and dealing with the same old arguments, you're poor because you are lazy. Real freedom comes from not only whining but also being prepared to get annoyed and do something to get sort out injustices from those who find the notion the rich get richer and the poor get poorer intolerable and refuse to put up with it. It's the ones who turn round and ask who the F--- do you think you are talking to.

America is up **** creek when are you going to stop being apathetic and get annoyed at the bastards that out you there?

Oh criminy.

Where did I blame women for anything? I cast no blame because women tend to make less pay than men. I am not going to apologize that facts offend you, or of my view that overall boys need fathers.

Give up the homophobia angel. I was careful to mention a two parent home without mention of sex.

My Father was six when his dad died. Did grandma do a good job in spite of that? I think so, but then knowing what he tells of his life there was plenty of male guidance. That is why when my a-hole brother wife divorced him and he all but abounded his children I always made a point to be there for them.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1422040 wrote: I refer you, td, to gmc's post on the same subject. We don't live in Ozzie & Harriet land anymore. My husband had a brutal father & 8 sisters. He would have done better without a father like that.

Like you, I don't get all this from that voice in my head which "sometimes" comes up with some great idea, just observation of the reality around me.

Even as a child, I always though of Ozzie an Harriet was bizarre. One thing, Ozzie never had a job, never went to work, not ideal. I look back at my dad, he worked, in that respect, a good role model.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I had a fabulous dad! Ideally speaking, I absolutely agree with you td, but I don't have enough information about every fatherless home. My dad's dad died when he was 8, leaving his mother with 4 kids during the Depression. My husband died, leaving me with our son. His rotten dad's dad died when he was young. My brother-in-law's dad was a drunk & left his mother with 3 kids & she rented herself out to men.

I had the most wonderful dad & was lucky to have him until I was 30. A friend's dad is still alive at 100! We could all tell stories till we turn blue I guess.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Who are ozzie and harriet?

Posted by tude dog

Where did I blame women for anything? I cast no blame because women tend to make less pay than men. I am not going to apologize that facts offend you, or of my view that overall boys need fathers.

You did.

or so I took your meaning, Context is everything as they say, your point is clearer now.

It used to be a much mooted theory that too much female influence in the upbringing was a cause of homosexuality hence my response to your comment about it not being ideal for a woman to raise sons.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ozzie & Harriet Nelson had a TV show in the 1950's. That was when we all knew our places in society & thought we were happy about it. They had 2 sons, in real life & on the show, named David & Ricky. Rick Nelson became a "rock singer" & famous drug user.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1422050 wrote: Even as a child, I always though of Ozzie an Harriet was bizarre. One thing, Ozzie never had a job, never went to work, not ideal. I look back at my dad, he worked, in that respect, a good role model.

I thought his job was bothering Harriet.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1422054 wrote: Who are ozzie and harriet?

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet

A show often referred to when one with nothing better to say, uses as an example to discredit those of us who hold conservative values.

You did.

That is not clear. Did I offend you or blame women for something?

gmc;1422054 wrote: or so I took your meaning, Context is everything as they say, your point is clearer now.

It used to be a much mooted theory that too much female influence in the upbringing was a cause of homosexuality hence my response to your comment about it not being ideal for a woman to raise sons.

That is quite a leap.

Actually, I was thinking foremost about crime. Thank goodness I didn't cause I would have to mention that blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime in this country, in no small part because of fatherless families.

If I said something like that, not only would I be anti gay, but a racists also. Just as well I didn't mention it.

The Real, Complex Connection Between Single-Parent Families and Crime
halfway

Post by halfway »

tude dog;1422061 wrote: The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet

If I said something like that, not only would I be anti gay, but a racists also. Just as well I didn't mention it.

Stay well within the politically correct guidelines tubedog....logic, facts, and statistics can only lead your labeling as (insert hateful "ist" here).

Censorship is our watchword. In the name of "tolerance" of course. :)
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Tude Dog is doing fine without your ridiculous advice halfway. He seems really able to hold his end in discussions without whining that he's being picked on or censored like you. IMO.

Also, TD appears to have a sense of humor about himself & I don't see that in you. Again, IMO.
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by tude dog

That is quite a leap.

Actually, I was thinking foremost about crime. Thank goodness I didn't cause I would have to mention that blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime in this country, in no small part because of fatherless families.

Not really if it was a statement of fact, but it would perhaps be racist and I would say wrong if you were concluding that the crime rate had anything to do with something as simple as race. Same with fatherless families. After ww1 there were millions brought up in fatherless families throughout europe and the same - although not to the same extent after ww2. It was the same in america although hardly on the same scale, and after korea and vietnam an awful lot of fatherless families were around and to label their progeny as feckless wastrels liable to be criminals is a bit simplistic. Obviously that is not what you were doing and I'm not saying you are I'm just making the point that to blame society's ills on the decline of family values and single mothers as some are wont to do is just picking a convenient scapegoat.

It's just prejudice, not so long ago being a single mother meant you had no status in society except that of whore and any children were also bastards and as such of little value and likely to e criminals. Widows were respectable and there were strict sanctions if they ignored society's view of them. We've progressed a bit but the prejudice lingers on.

The single biggest thing just now ripping apart families and dumping people in to poverty is the financial crisis. Now the people who caused that were in the main white, married church going pillars of society and none of them are going to jail over it. Sometimes the only difference between someone in jail and someone who is a respectable pillar of society is wealth and power.

Maybe the UK is a country of whiners and we have forgotten how to scare the **** out of our political classes and give them a good kicking. All arond europe there are mass protests going on yet you hardly hear about them on mainstream news
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

There is also the business of busting black & latino youth for crimes that white kids commit but are not arrested for. Although this has taken place for years it is renewed with policies against "driving while black" where black young men are routinely pulled out of traffic by police & "stop & frisk" where basically the only ones stopped are black & latino. Until last month, in NYC, when stop & frisk revealed no weapons but did reveal small amounts of pot, that kid would begin a sojourn in our criminal justice system. And once they know you, they tend never to forget you. Stop & frisk still remains in NYC, but now small amounts of pot will not result in arrest. Or so it is said.

I really mean it, where is Abbie Hoffman now that we need him again? Rhetorical question as he is dead & would be in his seventies, but there needs to be this vacuum filled.

"Understand that legal and illegal are political, and often arbitrary"

Abbie Hoffman Quotes - BrainyQuote
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1422119 wrote: posted by tude dog

Not really if it was a statement of fact, but it would perhaps be racist and I would say wrong if you were concluding that the crime rate had anything to do with something as simple as race.

OK, at least you are giving me that.

gmc;1422119 wrote: Same with fatherless families. After ww1 there were millions brought up in fatherless families throughout europe and the same - although not to the same extent after ww2. It was the same in america although hardly on the same scale, and after korea and vietnam an awful lot of fatherless families were around and to label their progeny as feckless wastrels liable to be criminals is a bit simplistic. Obviously that is not what you were doing and I'm not saying you are I'm just making the point that to blame society's ills on the decline of family values and single mothers as some are wont to do is just picking a convenient scapegoat.

You bring up a century of wars, different countries, etc.

I dare say that none of that applies here.

gmc;1422119 wrote: It's just prejudice, not so long ago being a single mother meant you had no status in society except that of whore and any children were also bastards and as such of little value and likely to e criminals. Widows were respectable and there were strict sanctions if they ignored society's view of them. We've progressed a bit but the prejudice lingers on.

Problem here are not widows.

gmc;1422119 wrote: The single biggest thing just now ripping apart families and dumping people in to poverty is the financial crisis. Now the people who caused that were in the main white, married church going pillars of society and none of them are going to jail over it. Sometimes the only difference between someone in jail and someone who is a respectable pillar of society is wealth and power.

Maybe the UK is a country of whiners and we have forgotten how to scare the **** out of our political classes and give them a good kicking. All arond europe there are mass protests going on yet you hardly hear about them on mainstream news

The problem I speak of is not recent. The problem survives during the best of times, and the worst of times (I stole that phrase BTW :guitarist).
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by tude dog

You bring up a century of wars, different countries, etc.

I dare say that none of that applies here.

The point I was making is that single mothers are nothing new nor is our perception of them. It is simply prejudice. The point about the number of single mothers there used to be after the two wars and that single mothers did a perfectly good job in the past and at one time it was very common to have single parent families and what's actually so different nowadays that makes this generation less capable and somehow more feckless than those in the past I heard an old codger come out with, also adding that he was the product of a single parent family (he must have been in his seventies) and the welfare state was something his generation had fought for and paid in to all his working life to one of these right wing politicians that was having a rant about our welfare society. I wish i could reproduce the force of the argument. It does apply here if you are referring to this thread which is about the UK.

In British politics the dialogue between left and right is a lot more energetic - or used to be anyway - and defined than it seems to be in the states where the left seem to have been totally emasculated. Oscar is on the right of British politics and always starts threads putting playing up the image put out by the likes of the daily daily mail of a country being ground down by the welfare state and a wingeing populace that are feckless and lazy. We used to as nation be pretty bolshie and that's something we have lost to our detriment. Stop complaining and get on with it is to me like a red rag to a bull. I want to see the bankers go to jail instead we have government objecting to the EU putting a cap on v=bankers bonuses in case the poor dears of the banking indistry leave the city of london. Most of the nation would help them pack. The riots of 2011 we really need more of that kinf of thing to scare the **** out of the establishment so they start to listen.

posted by tude dog

Problem here are not widows.

Nor is it single mothers per se - the vast majority of whom are that way by circumstance not by choice - they along with welfare claimants make a convenient scapegoat, the unworthy poor are a good target to distract people from what is really the problem. What that is in america I'm not really qualifies to say - doesn't stop me expressing an opinion though:sneaky:

http://singleparents.about.com/od/legal ... rtrait.htm

Hows this for a bit of blind hypocrisy and prejudice against single mothers.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/0 ... remarital/

What’s worse, after the school fired the woman, they then offered to hire her boyfriend — who, by most assumptions, must have been engaged in premartial sex, as well:

Couldn't make this stuff up could you

posted by tude dog

The problem I speak of is not recent. The problem survives during the best of times, and the worst of times (I stole that phrase BTW ).

I have a sneaking suspicion we actually agree more than we disagree but are divided by our common language ( I pinched that one )

The whole point of a welfare state is to provide a safety net for those who need it. It's easy to be disparaging of it when you have a good job and don;t think you will ever need it. In or present climate I know quite a few who have had to face up to the humiliation of being unemployed and unemployable and find it unfair that they have to lose the nice house they had a mortgage on and bleat about the unfairness of it all and how low the minimum wage is and how can anybody be expected to live on it. In short they have joined the nation of whiners . Once there are enough we are going to kick the **** out of the political parties. Well I hope so anyway.

Oscar has been very quiet I fear reading the guardian may have taxed her somewhat neo fascists get confused when they read things that challenge their viewpoints. They go in to a kind of fugue state and have even been seen to dribble.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1422402 wrote:

Oscar has been very quiet I fear reading the guardian may have taxed her somewhat neo fascists get confused when they read things that challenge their viewpoints. They go in to a kind of fugue state and have even been seen to dribble.

I'm here.
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1422410 wrote: I'm here.

I trust you appreciate I was just poking fun. I would never hint insinuate or otherwise imply that reading the guardian would turn you in to a drooling idiot.

At this point I will refrain from any mention of the daily mail - tempting as that may be.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1422414 wrote: I trust you appreciate I was just poking fun. I would never hint insinuate or otherwise imply that reading the guardian would turn you in to a drooling idiot.

At this point I will refrain from any mention of the daily mail - tempting as that may be.

Then I trust you appreciate I am just poking fum when I say you are a deluded Nationalist. I would never hint or Insinuate that you reading the Independent would turn you Into a rabid Socialist moron with the IQ of a badger Infected with Bovine TB
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1422441 wrote: Then I trust you appreciate I am just poking fum when I say you are a deluded Nationalist. I would never hint or Insinuate that you reading the Independent would turn you Into a rabid Socialist moron with the IQ of a badger Infected with Bovine TB

Generally speaking independent readers are depressed former libdem supporters - or it would seem to be. I note you are reading the guardian nowadays.

Where is there to go with your protest vote nowadays? They are all a bunch of useless wankers.

Return to “Societal Issues News”