Mobility Scooters

Oscar Namechange

Mobility Scooters

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Just watched an Item on TV about a little boy who was quite badly Injured by one on a pavement.

His Mother has now handed In a petition that people who use Mobility Scooters need Insurance,

A Policespokesmoron came on and quite rightfully said that when these scooters go from road to pavement they are travelling at 8 mph when pedestrians are walking at 4 mph, hence accidents. Also the other way around when a scooter comes off a pavement at 8 mph and pulls In front of a car doing 30 mph...

Having actually been Injured myself In a minor sense ( bruised ), I'm Inclined to agree but some argue that the Insurance may restrict use
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Mobility Scooters

Post by gmc »

OK it sounds funny but it's not really> I've had a few near misses with them coming up behind you some of the owners seem to think you should just telepathically know they are there. Where I live there is a big shopping centre where they at times almost have races. It's actually just one or two, maybe have their speed restricted for on pavement use.
Oscar Namechange

Mobility Scooters

gmc;1421634 wrote: OK it sounds funny but it's not really> I've had a few near misses with them coming up behind you some of the owners seem to think you should just telepathically know they are there. Where I live there is a big shopping centre where they at times almost have races. It's actually just one or two, maybe have their speed restricted for on pavement use.
There's a small town near me with a long High Street. I love It because all the shops are real shops. Ironmongers, pet shop, Butchers, Florist etc etc anyway.

It's actually a standing joke that you'll get mown down by the crinklies If you don't look before you come out of a shop before stepping out onto the pavement which Is what I did when I had one fly Into one of my legs. There was another time when my dog was hit. Then It's actually them that get annoyed almost as If you shouldn't be on the pavement In the first place.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Mobility Scooters

Post by Snooz »

Why would they need to go faster than an average person can walk? If they hit a pothole or rock going that speed, they could fly off.
Oscar Namechange

Mobility Scooters

SnoozeAgain;1421642 wrote: Why would they need to go faster than an average person can walk? If they hit a pothole or rock going that speed, they could fly off.

That's why they use the pavements and weave around pedestrians.
Snooz

Mobility Scooters

Post by Snooz »

They still need to cross roads every now and then.

Return to “Societal Issues News”