Odd That We Call Them Aliens.

Discuss topics ranging from UFO's to Unexplained Phenomena.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Cos I would guess that the Cosmos is chock full of life forms who have been around far longer than us and are far superior to us and what is more important, probably far more compassionate and loving than us.

Wonder what they call us?

War-mongering idiots comes to mind.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

What's the difference in your threads as opposed to Mickiel's. They're both just unproven, made up stories. You're stories are no better than his. You do realize this, don't you?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Ahso!;1421344 wrote: What's the difference in your threads as opposed to Mickiel's. They're both just unproven, made up stories. You're stories are no better than his. You do realize this, don't you?

You see? Now this is the type of response that keeps getting me into trouble on FG.

I put up a thread about Aliens and instead of you replying to the content of the thread, you have a go at me.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Ahso!;1421344 wrote: What's the difference in your threads as opposed to Mickiel's. They're both just unproven, made up stories. You're stories are no better than his. You do realize this, don't you?

Mickiels' threads seem to entertain you a great deal. Why wouldn't this one ?

It's a reasonable premise for a discussion don't you think. Even if you believe we are the only life forms in the universe, it might be fun to explore the what ifs, whys and wherefores, such as we do in the God threads.

I happen to think there have been more primordial soups in the Universe, other than the one cooking up life here on Earth. I don't think that's a controversial standpoint at all
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Nah, it was an innocent question. You criticized Mickey for his thread and pop up one of your own of the same fashion. I have no probelm with anyone participating in any thread they so choose. Go for it, just don't criticize others.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Ahso!;1421378 wrote: Nah, it was an innocent question. You criticized Mickey for his thread and pop up one of your own of the same fashion. I have no probelm with anyone participating in any thread they so choose. Go for it, just don't criticize others.

Its not my thread, it's jj's

Winston Churchill
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Snowfire;1421381 wrote: Its not my thread, it's jj'sWhat made you think I was talking exclusively to you?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

jones jones;1421351 wrote: You see? Now this is the type of response that keeps getting me into trouble on FG.YOU get you into trouble, no one else. Stop seeing yourself as a victim. Stop seeing yourself as not responsible for your own actions. Start taking ownership of your behavior, then you won't have as much trouble.

jones jones;1421338 wrote: Cos I would guess that the Cosmos is chock full of life forms who have been around far longer than us and are far superior to us and what is more important, probably far more compassionate and loving than us.

Wonder what they call us?

War-mongering idiots comes to mind.
Alien doesn't mean inferior, only foreign

I think it incredibly arrogant for anyone to think we're the only intelligent life in all the universe(s). There's really no reason to think they would be more compassionate & loving, but there's no reason to think they aren't, either.

Of course, some species has to be the first and most advanced. Why not us?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Ahso!;1421383 wrote: What made you think I was talking exclusively to you?

Maybe because the whole world revolves around me.

Because your reply followed my post, that's all. I always make sure by quoting, just to eliminate any confusion. It's not the end of the world..

...That was last December

Winston Churchill
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Ahso!;1421378 wrote: Nah, it was an innocent question. You criticized Mickey for his thread and pop up one of your own of the same fashion. I have no probelm with anyone participating in any thread they so choose. Go for it, just don't criticize others.

Correction. I did NOT criticize "Mickey's" thread at all.

I asked a simple question. Go back and read or shall I re-state it here?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Accountable;1421387 wrote: ....

Of course, some species has to be the first and most advanced. Why not us?

Wow ! Is this as good as it gets ?

I want to believe there are Vulcans out there

Winston Churchill
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Snowfire;1421391 wrote: Wow ! Is this as good as it gets ?

But the Vulcans started out as a warring society, too.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Accountable;1421392 wrote: But the Vulcans started out as a warring society, too.
Have you heard about this /?

Egg found in Martian Meteorite, page 1
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1421393 wrote: Have you heard about this /?

Egg found in Martian Meteorite, page 1

Except that Mr Wickramasinghe has been discredited on several occasions for his theories on alien life. He doesnt have a particularly good reputation in the field as far as I've read in the past

Winston Churchill
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Originally Posted by jones jones: "You see? Now this is the type of response that keeps getting me into trouble on FG."

Posted by You:" YOU get you into trouble, no one else. Stop seeing yourself as a victim. Stop seeing yourself as not responsible for your own actions. Start taking ownership of your behavior, then you won't have as much trouble."

Of course I get into trouble and YOU may say I see myself as a victim, but flaming & trolling have and still do play a big part here on FG.

Unlike many others I always "take ownership of my actions" and unlike many others, I seldom "target" a member I dislike simply because apart from maybe one special exception, I like/tolerate every member here.

And on the very rare occasion that I do say something cynical to another earthling, it is usually in a tongue in cheek or humorous manner.

Play the ball and not the man is my way.

You are not and will not be alone in your intolerance and preconceived bigotry as regards The Chosen One.

Watch this space if you think otherwise ...
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

jones jones;1421396 wrote: Of course I get into trouble and YOU may say I see myself as a victim, but flaming & trolling have and still do play a big part here on FG.and you see yourself as a victim of this flaming & trolling:jones jones;1421351 wrote: I put up a thread about Aliens and instead of you replying to the content of the thread, you have a go at me.And:jones jones;1421396 wrote: You are not and will not be alone in your intolerance and preconceived bigotry as regards The Chosen One.

jones jones;1421396 wrote: Unlike many others I always "take ownership of my actions"Except when you don't:jones jones;1421351 wrote: You see? Now this is the type of response that keeps getting me into trouble on FG.

Y'know, you could have chosen to ignore the first part of my post as you chose to ignore the second part. You could have chosen to reply to the part of my post that was on the subject of your OP as you chose to reply to the part that didn't. These choices you made were yours. The actions you took were yours alone. No one forced you to do anything at all. No one is responsible for you but you. ijs
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Accountable;1421400 wrote: and you see yourself as a victim of this flaming & trolling:And:

Except when you don't:

Y'know, you could have chosen to ignore the first part of my post as you chose to ignore the second part. You could have chosen to reply to the part of my post that was on the subject of your OP as you chose to reply to the part that didn't. These choices you made were yours. The actions you took were yours alone. No one forced you to do anything at all. No one is responsible for you but you. ijs

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
theia

Post by theia »

Snowfire;1421391 wrote: Wow ! Is this as good as it gets ?

I don't know about Vulcans but I would feel totally disenchanted if I thought we were it. It's the thought that we're not that keeps me going

Edit: removing sun smiley that I didn't intend to put there
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

How would we know if one of the space problems encountered alien species? Remember the flap a year ago (or so) when they thought that they had discovered a life form on Earth that was not carbon based? We use telescopes, dishes, and space probes looking for signs of life. But what if the alien species didn't use light waves or radio waves for communication? Would we even know that they were there? What if the life form was so foreign to us that we didn't even recogize it as a life form, if we could see or detect it at all?
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Wandrin;1421423 wrote: How would we know if one of the space problems encountered alien species? Remember the flap a year ago (or so) when they thought that they had discovered a life form on Earth that was not carbon based? We use telescopes, dishes, and space probes looking for signs of life. But what if the alien species didn't use light waves or radio waves for communication? Would we even know that they were there? What if the life form was so foreign to us that we didn't even recogize it as a life form, if we could see or detect it at all?

Guess then we wouldn't find them but we gotta keep trying!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I wrote this a while ago, detailing my run-in with that big UFO. It was off the War highway near El Paso. (Very desolate area.)

In the Air Force, one of the duties required of all pilots is to spend a week (on a rotating basis) doing what is called "alert duty". During that time, you are required to be in your flight suit and be prepared to fly at a moment's notice. You can travel around the base, but most of us chose to stay at the "alert shack" which was a small building at the end of the runway. It was quite comfortable, outfitted with a foosball table, a couple of pool tables, a big screen TV, and tables for cards, etc. The other room held bunks and toilet facilities. It was generally a boring duty. But twice a week, we would run a "scramble" alert.

In "Scramble" alert, all the pilots would rush out of the building to the planes which were parked just outside. The aircrews would already have the planes started by then, and you would just jump into the cockpit and takeoff nose-to-tail, seeing how fast you could get off the ground.

Usually, 99% of the time, you would just fly afterburners-on to a given coordinate, then be told it was an exercise and fly back home. We usually liked that because in the absence of a given mission, we could have practice dogfights on the way home or engage in other non-permitted behavior such as flying low to the ground with transponders turned off.

Occasionally, you'd have to identify an unidentified aircraft, which usually turned out to be a stupid smuggler or an off-course civilian. They were always more than happy to comply with instructions when surrounded by fighter aircraft. (We intentionally flew VERY close to them to make them even more nervous.)

Then there were the other times...

I've come screaming up on many "UFO's" at closure speeds of up to 880 kias before. I've seen them all, silver ones, bright lights that hang in the air, and even spinning cylinders with lots of details and no kind of flight surfaces at all. Most of them fell into the 'Mexican Air Force" category which was a spinning silver plate, just like the one that flew through the Mexican Air Force's flight show a couple of years ago. But the most impressive, by far, was the HUGE black ship that hovered over the mountains off the War Highway near El Paso Texas.

I was flying that day as Whiskey 2 and my formation leader was Whiskey 1. It was just about dusk, but there was still plenty of light. The UFO was hovering about 2000 ft. AGL. (Above Ground Level.) It was sitting in the lee and shadow of a small range of mountains and was hard to see from a distance. As we came up on it, though, I could see that it was jet black all over its top and featureless. It looked like a giant black Frisbee. It was the size of a small city, easily over ten miles in diameter. What really got my attention, though, was the underbelly, which was very visible from our position at a slightly lower altitude.

The entire bottom of the object was open, and a bright red light was suffusing from it. As I watched, other smaller red lights detached themselves from the object and traveled slowly to the ground. There, they joined many other small red lights moving around on ground level.

We closed at over the speed of sound, chattering to each other over the mics.

"Whiskey 1, I have a bogey in sight, and what a bogey it is too! Do you confirm? Over."

"Uh, yeah, Whiskey 2, I'm seein' it, but I'm not believin' it. Request instructions from AREACON, Continue...ummm.... closing with bogey."

"Roger, Whiskey 1, I'm closin', but I'm not lovin' it. Sierra Hotel.... that thing is HUGE!"

Suddenly, as our DME (Distance Measured Equivalent) closed to 15 miles, all the red lights on the ground lifted off and streaked to the underside of the Gigantic Black Frisbee. In just four seconds, the Black Frisbee took off straight up at what had to be a 100G-climb rate. (Far beyond human endurance or the abilities of any known aircraft) The bogey shot off so fast we could hear the booming - thunder sound of air falling into the vacuum it made plowing through the atmosphere. In seconds it was gone.

"DAMN! Whiskey 1, did you see that? Where did it go?"

"Affirmative, Whiskey 2, the bogey took off like the space shuttle, I have no joy, can you see it?"

'Negative Whiskey 1, it's in the twilight zone!"

"Roger that, Whiskey 2, RTB (Return To Base) and chalk up another UFO with negative contact."

That was pretty much how it went of most of the time. Since I’ve been a civilian, I’ve seen a UFO again, but that’s another story.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

To answer the original question, we would only be correct to call them aliens if they are here, where we live.

If we are there, where they live, of course, they would probably call us aliens.

I know that on one trip to China, I was told I could not go in a certain area, because no aliens were allowed there. I had never thought of myself as an alien before that.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I never thought of myself as an alien until I was stationed in Utah ... and that after having lived on two other continents!
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

The universe....just as we know it is way too large to hold only us humans...or earthlings as JJ says.

I believe there is life out there...“The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.” by Carl Sagan

in reply to the questions of what would aliens call us....I think of the movie 5th Element and how Milla Jovovich (the actress) after watching the back log of film depicting our past endeavors or war and killing ....and would agree with JJ.

We must appear as War-mongering idiots
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Accountable;1421494 wrote: I never thought of myself as an alien until I was stationed in Utah ... and that after having lived on two other continents! I know the feeling... I feel like that when I go North of the Watford Gap.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Accountable;1421494 wrote: I never thought of myself as an alien until I was stationed in Utah ... and that after having lived on two other continents!

I got that same feeling when we lived in Arkansas.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1421520 wrote: I got that same feeling when we lived in Arkansas.Arizona for me.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
halfway

Post by halfway »

jones jones,

the person you keep quoting and responding to is a very bitter and unpleasant person. It comes through in each of his posts. He has nothing better top do than spew venom, attack, and criticize. He is, as I said...unpleasant.

Please do not quote him as it renders the "ignore" feature useless against his drivel.

Another suggestion is to "ignore" him. Life is too short to spend on cancerous, unpleasant, and disingenuous creatures.
My Journal of a New Endeavor
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

On Star Trek, one species of alien called us " ugly bags of mostly water "

Describes wonderfully, a couple of members here

Winston Churchill

Return to “Paranormal Science”