Peter Lake

Children killed in school shooting

Post by Peter Lake »

School Shooting In Connecticut: '27 Killed'

27 dead, 18 young children. Those poor babies :-1
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Oh my god, I feel sick to my stomach. I can't fathom why someone would think doing this was a good idea.

A 20 year old was the father of one of the children in school?:thinking:
Peg

Post by Peg »

It's a sad, sick world we leave in. Back when I was in school, my parents never had to worry I'd be shot in school. Now they would probably scared every time I went.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I've been reading on this for a while. Still haven't got confirmations on # killed or shooter. I didn't want to post till something solid was confirmed. Crazy friggin world we live in.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

ABC news just confirmed 20 children 6 adults and the shooter dead. Pretty sad stuff.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I burst into tears. The happiest time of my life was when my son was little. Going to the school, participating with the kids, chaperoning kids on class trips--I was so happy there were times I thought my heart would burst from the joy & cuteness. To think of the parents, siblings, grandparents, etc. of those children killed, & the agony they are in now; the disbelief--I can hear them screaming. This is overwhelming. There is no way to stop the hurt.

I have nothing to say yet about the murderer. It seems he killed his father in New Jersey, his mother in one of the classrooms, & possibly a brother as well. The police as yet don't know if the brother they have in custody is involved, there is a dead brother in the school.

The terror the children were put through before death is unforgivable. Terrible shocking horrible event.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Elementary school massacre: 27 killed, including 20 kids, at Connecticut school - U.S. News

A terrible tragedy.......again.

Hug your loved ones a little tighter today.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

At first it was reported the shooter was Ryan Lanza, 24, but it turns out to be his brother, Adam, age 20, who was the killer.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Is it not time that America acted to take guns from the hands of these monsters!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1412762 wrote: Is it not time that America acted to take guns from the hands of these monsters!
I would agree..........but

Not the time or the place, right now.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

This is horrible

I can't imagine being one of the parents hoping they had their child alive.

School use to be a safe place.

I'm all for gun regulations - remove them all.

Patsy
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

Bryn Mawr;1412762 wrote: Is it not time that America acted to take guns from the hands of these monsters!
" After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it".

William Burroughs
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1412763 wrote: I would agree..........but

Not the time or the place, right now.

Neither was it the last time - or the time before that ...
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Bryn Mawr;1412767 wrote: Neither was it the last time - or the time before that ...

It is sad that it is easier to buy guns than to get treatment for mental health issues.

31 school shootings since Columbine.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

And out marches the religious right with cover for the NRA by proclaiming that the problem is that their God has been "systematically" removed from the schools.

"We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools," Huckabee said on Fox News. "Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage?"
Mike Huckabee: Newtown Shooting No Surprise, We've 'Systematically Removed God' From Schools
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Peg

Post by Peg »

Wandrin;1412768 wrote: It is sad that it is easier to buy guns than to get treatment for mental health issues.

I totally agree.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Wandrin;1412768 wrote: It is sad that it is easier to buy guns than to get treatment for mental health issues.

Wal-mart doesn't have a psych dept. They haven't figured out how to package it.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1412770 wrote: And out marches the religious right with cover for the NRA by proclaiming that the problem is that their God has been "systematically" removed from the schools.Just like the religiously anti-gun marches out by proclaiming that the gun did it.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1412778 wrote: Just like the religiously anti-gun marches out by proclaiming that the gun did it.I provided a quote. Got one? I didn't paraphrase, either.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Which reminds me: get your gun stock, sales should spike shortly.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

I heard it this morning and I wasn't even surprised, how many times has this happened in the last 15 years? Doesn't matter, nothing is going to change. Poor kids, god speed to them.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1412779 wrote: I provided a quote. Got one? I didn't paraphrase, either.Just the ones in this thread.

Ahso!;1412780 wrote: Which reminds me: get your gun stock, sales should spike shortly.No doubt.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1412782 wrote: Just the ones in this thread.But nobody ever really makes that argument. The phrase about guns killing people is a marketing slogan invented by the gun lobby to respond to criticism about guns.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

yes the young got guns...but why? I am not talking about gun control (which would not hurt in the least bit) or parents who own guns but do not keep them locked up (another inexcusable thing).....But what prompted these kids....What do you think mentally provoked them to want to kill? To go off on a spree of bringing life to end...especial those of blood. This dwells deeper then just having access to guns....depression...too much violence in TV.... alcohol, drugs or just wanting something and not knowing how to express it and becoming very angry with life. What do you think is the root of all of this?
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

One part of it is the availability of guns. Another is the inherently violent side of our society. We can speculate all day, I seriously doubt anything will change.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Sadly enuf I agree with you, Scrat....it will never change. I just hope it does not get any worst.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Lady J;1412784 wrote: yes the young got guns...but why? I am not talking about gun control (which would not hurt in the least bit) or parents who own guns but do not keep them locked up (another inexcusable thing).....But what prompted these kids....What do you think mentally provoked them to want to kill? To go off on a spree of bringing life to end...especial those of blood. This dwells deeper then just having access to guns....depression...too much violence in TV.... alcohol, drugs or just wanting something and not knowing how to express it and becoming very angry with life. What do you think is the root of all of this?Your question, as relevant as it might be, can only be answered by the individual who does the killing. I'd think each case should be examined separately. General speculating doesn't appear to be productive, and is probably in fact a distraction.

What we do know is that a person went to an elementary school and shot a bunch of people, the majority being children. We can't pretend we can cure every person of their illnesses before they act out. What we can do is mitigate the damage by limiting access to weaponry that causes mass killings.

It's worth noting that a similar event occurred in China today, but that person used a knife and stabbed a number of children, all of which survived.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Ahso!;1412787 wrote: We can't pretend we can cure every person of their illnesses before they act out. What we can do is mitigate the damage by limiting access to weaponry that causes mass killings.

It's worth noting that a similar event occurred in China today, but that person used a knife and stabbed a number of children, all of which survived.

I will agree :lips:that we can not pretend to cure every person of their illness

but all joking aside....mass weapons of killing is not limited to guns. As you reported in China today a knife was used ~ yes, I know all survived but the intend was probalby the same. There are so many means of mass destruction out there...bombs carried by young children, self given drugs, alcohol, poisons issued by adults.

I would think psychologist the world over would be looking for some sort of link since this is happening more and more.

But at last I think it is just the times wearing our young ones down under peer pressures and more that we can't even relate to.

For once I am glad I have grown older.

Lady J
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Given the context in which the gun issue in the United States will be framed nothing will change. Nothing can change unless we accept there is a deep seated issue within our culture that has absolutely nothing to do with guns unless we realize what does in fact perpetuate the problems we do face as an American society. The knife comparison highlights the effects of our failure to connect reality with what is the very cause of our heart aches and anxieties which is our fundamental failure to equate rationality with purposeful results.

What exactly is it that people find to be the exception between these incidences and those of the past?

Guns?
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Since my last reply my mind set has re-focused to the families left without child at Christmas. I was sitting with my dog at one side and my cat at another and started to think about how the survivors feel.

Mom & Dad comforting each other as their Christmas tree sparkles with bright lights illuminating the packages that will never be open....explaining to their remaining child what has occurred. What would you say; what could you say?

Wow! that has to be mind blowing...and an event in life that will leave you marked forever.

OK ~ I'm out of this thread as it is depressing me and I have a hard enuf time with this season.

May the heavens and all the powers that are give them strength and peace.

God bless them.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Accountable;1412778 wrote: Just like the religiously anti-gun marches out by proclaiming that the gun did it.

Trouble with that is that there's a direct link between the gun and the deaths.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lady J;1412784 wrote: yes the young got guns...but why? I am not talking about gun control (which would not hurt in the least bit) or parents who own guns but do not keep them locked up (another inexcusable thing).....But what prompted these kids....What do you think mentally provoked them to want to kill? To go off on a spree of bringing life to end...especial those of blood. This dwells deeper then just having access to guns....depression...too much violence in TV.... alcohol, drugs or just wanting something and not knowing how to express it and becoming very angry with life. What do you think is the root of all of this?

I do lay a lot of the blame on the degree of violence in video games that some play for hours on end day after day but also on a sense of hopelessness of those with neither job nor a realistic prospect of getting one in a society that is becoming more polarised each year. This applies just as much to the UK as it dies to the US except that the weapon of choice is the knife rather than the gun.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I awoke today with a strong sense of guilt for enjoying a restful night's sleep. My home is peaceful this morning, though I can't help but imagine the pain 27 families are suffering through as I sit in my quiet room.

How can anyone defend the idea of massive numbers of guns sitting in people's homes for no good reason whatsoever? There's a serious disconnect in this country of ours. Yet, the answer coming from the NRA enthusiasts and religious right is more guns and a God that is obviously not there.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1412779 wrote: I provided a quote. Got one? I didn't paraphrase, either.Here's one:

Ahso!;1412803 wrote: I awoke today with a strong sense of guilt for enjoying a restful night's sleep. My home is peaceful this morning, though I can't help but imagine the pain 27 families are suffering through as I sit in my quiet room.

How can anyone defend the idea of massive numbers of guns sitting in people's homes for no good reason whatsoever? There's a serious disconnect in this country of ours. Yet, the answer coming from the NRA enthusiasts and religious right is more guns and a God that is obviously not there.There ya go. Never let a tragedy go to waste.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bryn Mawr;1412798 wrote: I do lay a lot of the blame on the degree of violence in video games that some play for hours on end day after day but also on a sense of hopelessness of those with neither job nor a realistic prospect of getting one in a society that is becoming more polarised each year. This applies just as much to the UK as it dies to the US except that the weapon of choice is the knife rather than the gun.
I don't recall any reports indicating that all those beautiful children were murdered because of the murderer's despair at finding work. Perhaps he thought they had stolen his job.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1412809 wrote: Here's one:

There ya go. Never let a tragedy go to waste.Now show me where I've said "guns kill people".

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
along-for-the-ride

The innocents of Newtown - chicagotribune.com

"What all of us can do right now is focus on the stories of these lives cut short. We can be inspired by their simplicity, their service. We can rededicate ourselves to the cause that united them — education of the young — and trust that education someday may bring the peace that legislation and public fury unfortunately have not. We say this not in surrender to the murderers, but with faith that there must be a way to pre-empt their inhumanities. Education and its progeny, empathy and uplift, may succeed where all else has failed. '
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Ahso!;1412810 wrote: Now show me where I've said "guns kill people".Can't make your argument, can you. I didn't think so.

The NRA has taken an argument of: "guns are the source of violent crime" and re-framed it as: "guns kill people".

Of course guns don't kill people any more than the gas pump pumps gas into your gas tank. What a ridiculous thing to say. The thing is though that gun enthusiasts eat up slogans and the NRA knows that regardless of how stupid it makes them sound.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1412815 wrote: Can't make your argument, can you. I didn't think so.
Just got back. I was pointing out that you were, sorry, are exploiting a horrible tragedy to push your personal agenda - before the bodies are even cold. I won't help you.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1412818 wrote: Just got back. I was pointing out that you were, sorry, are exploiting a horrible tragedy to push your personal agenda - before the bodies are even cold. I won't help you.Right. That's an interesting time to get sanctimonious.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1412821 wrote: Right. That's an interesting time to get sanctimonious.
Since you are the only sanctimonious one here, I'd agree and call it gauche, as well.

Why don't you keep your comments on the subject (rather than your crusade) and I'll stop calling you on it.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1412823 wrote: Since you are the only sanctimonious one here, I'd agree and call it gauche, as well.

Why don't you keep your comments on the subject (rather than your crusade) and I'll stop calling you on it.So now show me where I made the argument that guns kill people as you claimed.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1412824 wrote: So now show me where I made the argument that guns kill people as you claimed.Forgive my hyperbole.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1412825 wrote: Forgive my hyperbole.Done! Just for the record, whether you and I discuss this subject today or a year form now is of no consequence to the families that have suffered loss from this tragedy. I have enough respect for those children and their families to be open minded enough to want to open dialogue between myself and my fellow citizens with the goal of hopefully coming to a meeting of the minds so to end this chapter in American history.

I have two 15 month old grandchildren, so for me, there's an urgency to this.

Also, I'm well aware of the reasons for gun ownership, however, when they're laying all over the place as is now the case, due to marketing fear by the NRA, it's out of control, which is being proven on an almost daily basis now.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Well done, Mr President

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Here's some pretty outrageous commentary from the religious right.

Bryan Fischer: God Did Not Protect Connecticut Shooting Victims Because Prayer Banned In Schools (VIDEO)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Ahso!;1412839 wrote: Here's some pretty outrageous commentary from the religious right.

Bryan Fischer: God Did Not Protect Connecticut Shooting Victims Because Prayer Banned In Schools (VIDEO)
Do you have yourself flagged when negative religious crap pops up? Or do you spend your waking hours looking for it?:thinking:

If you look hard enough, you might just see different religious types being comforting and supportive.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

flopstock;1412849 wrote: Do you have yourself flagged when negative religious crap pops up? Or do you spend your waking hours looking for it?:thinking:

If you look hard enough, you might just see different religious types being comforting and supportive.I read what the media puts up, and I look in many places. Yes I do know of kindness within the religious community, but that's not a problem and so I choose to draw attention to those voices that are destructive to community. Look back at my posting history and you'll see plenty of positive posts on religion.

See, I respond to your questions.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

flopstock;1412849 wrote: Do you have yourself flagged when negative religious crap pops up? Or do you spend your waking hours looking for it?:thinking:

If you look hard enough, you might just see different religious types being comforting and supportive.Here's one for you, Flopstock. Does any issue other than middle class people banning together to address economic injustice outrage you? Are you ever critical of the religious right?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
along-for-the-ride

Names of victims in Connecticut shooting released

:yh_flower

Return to “Current Events”