Hyperthyroidism in cats

Discussions about your pets!
theia

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by theia »

On the vet's advice I've just started Fergus on a new iodine free diet. He had an operation a couple of years ago on one side of his thyroid but the problem has returned and he is constantly hungry and yowling. His fur is very patchy although he hasn't lost weight in the past three months. Alongside his diet he has to have bottled water, which, surprisingly, he seems to love.

Anyone tried this diet for their cat? He's not keen on either the dry/wet food at the moment but it's the only food I can give him. The alternative is another operation but the vet wonders if this would be a good idea as he is 17.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
valerie

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by valerie »

We did try the diet for our oldie several years back,

it worked somewhat I will say. She loved the food

(canned) which she hadn't been given before.

The problem with kitties has always been the commercially

prepared food. Years ago, it was ash content and male

cats. Food manufacturers correct for that, then bingo, something

else crops up.

I sure wouldn't want to put a 17 year old under anesthesia.

It's really too bad we don't have someone to grind up and can

whole mice, that might turn us humans off but would be best for

kitties!!

Hugs to your old guy!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Betty Boop

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1405168 wrote: On the vet's advice I've just started Fergus on a new iodine free diet. He had an operation a couple of years ago on one side of his thyroid but the problem has returned and he is constantly hungry and yowling. His fur is very patchy although he hasn't lost weight in the past three months. Alongside his diet he has to have bottled water, which, surprisingly, he seems to love.

Anyone tried this diet for their cat? He's not keen on either the dry/wet food at the moment but it's the only food I can give him. The alternative is another operation but the vet wonders if this would be a good idea as he is 17.

Is that an expensive diet then? Sounds like it!
LarsMac

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by LarsMac »

Freshwater fish and chicken are low iodine.

We never feed out critters commercial food.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
theia

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by theia »

valerie;1405177 wrote: We did try the diet for our oldie several years back,

it worked somewhat I will say. She loved the food

(canned) which she hadn't been given before.

The problem with kitties has always been the commercially

prepared food. Years ago, it was ash content and male

cats. Food manufacturers correct for that, then bingo, something

else crops up.

I sure wouldn't want to put a 17 year old under anesthesia.

It's really too bad we don't have someone to grind up and can

whole mice, that might turn us humans off but would be best for

kitties!!

Hugs to your old guy!

I was reading up on it all and it said that commercially produced "fish" cat food is the worst for iodine content.

I'm glad to hear it can work.

Betty, it's not as expensive as I thought it would be.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
theia

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by theia »

LarsMac;1405183 wrote: Freshwater fish and chicken are low iodine.

We never feed out critters commercial food.

I was wondering about chicken...I feed him the commercial food but he likes chicken as a treat. I'd love to give him some now but the vet said to stick firmly to the diet for at least 2 weeks, possibly longer.
Snooz

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by Snooz »

I had a sick cat that couldn't/wouldn't eat and the vet recommended baby food... the meat kind, obviously. I would think that's pretty healthy and low in iodine.
theia

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by theia »

SnoozeAgain;1405234 wrote: I had a sick cat that couldn't/wouldn't eat and the vet recommended baby food... the meat kind, obviously. I would think that's pretty healthy and low in iodine.

Good point...I hadn't thought of baby food. He's really quiet today, no yowling, no running over whenever I open a cupboard or the fridge. Could be that he sees no point since all he'll get is meat paste textured food or biscuits. I'm no cat devotee and his constant yowling was driving me crazy, but I feel sorry for him as he has always loved his food.
Betty Boop

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by Betty Boop »

Must be very quiet in your house then with no yowling cat.

Sugar, it popped into my head, I've heard something, or seen it written down that sugar is being put into pet food more and more and that's causing problems. Just made me think about us humans, the more sugar we have the more we crave it. Snoozes comment on baby food prompted the sugar thought. Baby food is sold as being 'healthy' but a lot of it contains a lot of sugar which is why we're seeing a lot of obese babies and toddlers.

Has Fergus eaten much of the new diet yet? You'd sort of expect to see a getting worse period before he went quiet, how long has he been on the new food?
flopstock

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by flopstock »

Bottled water? Maybe you can get one of those filters that attach to the faucet.

We have two rescue cats. The vet recommended that we alternate dry and wet food so that if they need meds for anything they don't refuse the food itsd put in.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

theia

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by theia »

I spoke too soon...yowling has begun again...he has dried food in his bowl and fresh bottled water, which he is turning up his nose at. I want to put off his serving of the meat paste stuff until at least 4 p.m. or he'll be having too much of it.

Since Friday, Betty, so it's early days.
flopstock

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by flopstock »

have you tried hand feeding the dry as if they are treats?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Oscar Namechange

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by Oscar Namechange »

theia;1405235 wrote: Good point...I hadn't thought of baby food. He's really quiet today, no yowling, no running over whenever I open a cupboard or the fridge. Could be that he sees no point since all he'll get is meat paste textured food or biscuits. I'm no cat devotee and his constant yowling was driving me crazy, but I feel sorry for him as he has always loved his food.

I've used baby food when nursing sick cats and weaning kittens... hardly any chemicals and low salt.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by Snooz »

It's expensive though.
theia

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by theia »

SnoozeAgain;1405269 wrote: It's expensive though.

I'm almost tempted to buy a jar, as a treat...he didn't eat all of the meat paste stuff earlier. He has stopped yowling, which is a relief for me but he seems defeated.

I'll stick at this until Friday, then call the vet for advice, if he's the same.
Betty Boop

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by Betty Boop »

How is Fergus doing?
theia

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1406207 wrote: How is Fergus doing?

I was wondering whether to post, or not.

Fergus hardly ate anything for several days and so I rang to ask the vet for advice. As I was talking to the vet, he began to eat the meat paste and had nearly 3/4 tin, his daily ration. When I got up on Wednesday morning, he had vomited it up all over the kitchen.

I put him back on his usual diet and spoke to the vet again. He is going in for another operation on his thyroid tomorrow morning at 8 a.m.

He's old and, as the vet advised, may not survive the operation but I hope he does. We're the bane of each other's lives but it will be really hard without him.
Betty Boop

Hyperthyroidism in cats

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1406211 wrote: I was wondering whether to post, or not.

Fergus hardly ate anything for several days and so I rang to ask the vet for advice. As I was talking to the vet, he began to eat the meat paste and had nearly 3/4 tin, his daily ration. When I got up on Wednesday morning, he had vomited it up all over the kitchen.

I put him back on his usual diet and spoke to the vet again. He is going in for another operation on his thyroid tomorrow morning at 8 a.m.

He's old and, as the vet advised, may not survive the operation but I hope he does. We're the bane of each other's lives but it will be really hard without him.

Poor Fergus. I know what you mean about the bane reference though. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. He's probably tougher than you think. :-4

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”