North Korea: Winners get Refrigerators Losers get Labor Camp - Is it real?

powerfulguy

Post by powerfulguy »

North Korea's Olympic athletes are surprising the world by winning medals, and attributing their success to Kim Jong Un. However, there are rumors that suggest the success of the country's small number of athletes at the Olympics is the policy of giving rewards like cars, refrigerators, and televisions for medalists, but losers are sent losers to labor camps.

But the consequence of loss is greater if the athletes lose to countries in conflict like the ROK and the US.

One North Korean defector stated at an interview that Shin Ui-gun, coach of North Korea's women's football team, will be criticized for the loss to the US at the London Olympics.

Moreover, North Korean defectors testified that if athletes lose a match, they are held responsible as if they had lost in a battle. Matches against Korea and the US is almost always considered as a war that needs to be won at all cost.

North Korean athletes are participating in sports not from sportsmanship, but from the fear of Kim Jong-Un's punishments. Is this even possible, and sensible? Some say this kind of rumor is from the negative perception of North Korea, but we are talking about North Korea, here. I think it's very probable because the 3 generation of Kim dictators gained the know-how of threatening and forcing people.
spot

Post by spot »

There are rumors, are there? That's moderately vile, don't you think. It would take a particularly shoddy plonker to want to disparage the sporting achievement of these athletes just because of their nationality. We're grateful to you for bringing it to our attention.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Olympic Losers Sent To Labor Camps In North Korea? - YouTube
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

How very helpful. Would you like to summarize the link's content, oscar? Cause I'm buggered if I'm going to watch it just to discover what point you're attempting to make.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1399743 wrote: How very helpful. Would you like to summarize the link's content, oscar? Cause I'm buggered if I'm going to watch it just to discover what point you're attempting to make.

I didn't listen too carefully, it was boring, but one thing that did make me listen was the fact that the reporter on the clip also claimed what they were discussing was 'rumour', at which point I stopped listening again.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm left puzzled as to why the perpetrators of the Armenian Genocide might be in any way relevant to South Korean bully-boy ****-stirring on the Internet.
spot

Post by spot »

Here, for anyone interested, is where this toerag write-only arse "powerful guy" stole his copy-paste. The original's as distasteful as his muck-spreader.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Load of rubbish they wouldn't get refrigerators as they don;t have electricity in north korea

This is funnier

Hobbit Homes? Potential Texas Senator Ted Cruz Believes It - YouTube
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

...and what good is a refrigerator if you don't have food to put into it?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

What's a toerag?
spot

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1399811 wrote: What's a toerag?

From wiktionary:

toerag (plural toerags)

1. (chiefly UK) a rag worn around the foot in place of a sock by a tramp or vagrant

2. the tramp himself, subsequently generalized to:

3. a worthless nobody from the dregs of society, as in:

2007, J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, USA: Arthur A. Levine Books (2007), page 674, "I know James Potter's an arrogant toerag," she said, cutting across Snape.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Ah, thank you. I always pictured one of those ID tags tied to the toe of a corpse.
spot

Post by spot »

When I was growing up we referred to the rags we wrapped around our feet before going outdoors as clouts. Maybe that was a regional variation. A clout in general is any article of clothing which shows major signs of wear and tear, such as might be used in more well-to-do families as a dishcloth or polishing rag. We were adjured never to discard such items before the end of May in case the cold weather returned before summer set in.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1399815 wrote: When I was growing up we referred to the rags we wrapped around our feet before going outdoors as clouts. Maybe that was a regional variation. A clout in general is any article of clothing which shows major signs of wear and tear, such as might be used in more well-to-do families as a dishcloth or polishing rag. We were adjured never to discard such items before the end of May in case the cold weather returned before summer set in.

Don't cast a clout 'til May is out refers, not to the month but to the blossom of the May tree - remember, this was a rural saying, none of your citified gobbledygook.

Return to “International Politics”