Two year old boy mauled by dog....

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

BBC News - Swindon dog maul boy's injuries 'horrendous'

First of all let me state ( before my words are twisted ) my priority Is with the child here and I pray he recovers.

However, I am sure I am not alone In asking this:

The dog apparently was known In the neighbourhood as aggressive. He had apparently attacked a police officer prior and this was common knowledge. Apparently, according to a news Item on TV tonight, the dog was feared by everyone living around It....

So...

Where was this two year olds parents? How did this baby manage to get Into the garden where the dogs owner found the little boy and saved him?

Now, the grandparents and some noxious local MP has appeared on TV wanting tighter controls on ' dangerous dogs'.... spouting some nonsence about new laws that would If passed, raise the human rights beast as to weather this violates citizens rights to keep a dog to protect their property or In the case of the elderly, themselves.

When are the parents and grandparents going to accept some responsibility here?

In the circumstances, I am In favour of the dog being destroyed but this dog was on his own territory In a confined garden and not loose on the streets.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Post by gmc »

Most dogs no matter how friendly will at least bark if a stranger enters, i don't think mine would attack but I really don't know what they would do if we weren't there and someone climbed in.

Round here staffies are one of the breeds beloved of the dogfighting set. their appearance belied their character

Officers cannot confirm at this stage if the same dog that bit a police officer was the same as the one that has been destroyed after attacking the two-year-old boy.

If it was the one that bit a policeman why was it not dealt with then.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1395761 wrote: Most dogs no matter how friendly will at least bark if a stranger enters, i don't think mine would attack but I really don't know what they would do if we weren't there and someone climbed in.

Round here staffies are one of the breeds beloved of the dogfighting set. their appearance belied their character

If it was the one that bit a policeman why was it not dealt with then.

I don't know but I am assuming that If the policeman was Inside the owners property ( who looked on TV like he was no stranger to a bit of Ganga ) and came In uninvited, then the police couldn't really do a lot. Not totally sure of the law but I am sure plod would have Insisted the dog was destroyed If It was any other circumstances. The dog was not one of the breeds on the dangerous dog list so there's no reason to remove and destroy.

Staffie's have had a bad press of late and It's so unfair. They are the most placid and loving of breeds. Any dog will attack, It's not down to the breed but the owner or a rogue gene.

I had a rogue dog called Bertie who did attack anyone who came through the gate. We got to the point where we became paranoid about him. It meant him being muzzled on every walk and we turned our garden Into a fortress for fear of him ever getting out. Peter would do a perimeter fencing check every few days to make sure he hadn't dug under the fence and we put a digital doorbell and mailbox outside the garden gate.

Once we were home, we'd tie a buckle around around the gate and the gatepost In case god forbid one of the local kids opened the gate, We had ' Beware of the dog' signs all around the fencing and I even made a home made one saying ' Do not open gate, Dogs loose and one will bite !!!.

I never wanted a Kleeneze catalogue, never asked for one or never used them so when some dumbarsse salesman decided to totally Ignore all the 6 to 8 signs along the fencing and on the gate along with the fact that a mailbox and doorbell outside of the gate was a wee Indicator that there was a problem, and go as far as undo to buckle keeping the gate locked, then he got what he deserved frankly.

What made It worse was that the twat not only strolled up the path but left the gate wide open. Had Bertie not of stopped off to savage him, then he'd have got out with a school next door. Peter just flung himself at the gate to get It closed In time.

The salesmen then tried It on with us threatening to sue etc etc and my neighbour came out and told him he was pissing In the wind with the precautions we had taken. I was more than happy to get the police out because I know exactly what they would have said to him.... never saw that salesman again :wah:

Peter's just reminded me of the time we went out for the day. We got home early evening and pulling Into the drive saw the front door open. ( His fault, he didn't slam to the front door hard enough on leaving for It to latch ).... we both did a ' OMG' moment because I had the takings In the house which was a couple of grand. Then we both looked at each other and said together ' Nah... Bertie's In there'
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Wild Fire

Post by Wild Fire »

Other than a dog that has contracted rabies, there is no such thing as a "dangerous dog". Only dangerous and ignorant owners.

Now, if this dog already has a history of aggressiveness, it needs to be evaluated. Is it sick? Does it need vet care? Is it up to date on its vaccines?

People are always immediately ready to blame the dog and completely overlook the owner. There isn't enough info here for me to say one way or the other what should be done. I'm glad the child was safe, but if this is common for this dog, someone needs to go talk to the owner and get this dog evaluated. It was on its own turf, does anyone know what the child may have done to provoke the dog?

Any time a dog attacks someone, the situation almost always gets twisted and the wrong steps are taken. An instant euthanasia for the dog may not even be needed. It IS possible to train aggression out of dogs. You just have to know what you're doing.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I think that people tend to shirk responsibility. It is a simple cop out to blame the breed of dog rather than the owner. By labeling a breed as "aggressive", they can avoid actually thinking or evaluating based on fact.
Oscar Namechange

Wild Fire;1395807 wrote: Other than a dog that has contracted rabies, there is no such thing as a "dangerous dog". Only dangerous and ignorant owners.

Now, if this dog already has a history of aggressiveness, it needs to be evaluated. Is it sick? Does it need vet care? Is it up to date on its vaccines?

People are always immediately ready to blame the dog and completely overlook the owner. There isn't enough info here for me to say one way or the other what should be done. I'm glad the child was safe, but if this is common for this dog, someone needs to go talk to the owner and get this dog evaluated. It was on its own turf, does anyone know what the child may have done to provoke the dog?

Any time a dog attacks someone, the situation almost always gets twisted and the wrong steps are taken. An instant euthanasia for the dog may not even be needed. It IS possible to train aggression out of dogs. You just have to know what you're doing.

In this case WF... the two year old has lost an eye, an ear and Is fighting for his life In hospital.

In this case, I believed It was right to euthanise the dog.... If the dog's owner hadn't of got Into the garden In time, the child would have died.
Oscar Namechange

Wandrin;1395811 wrote: I think that people tend to shirk responsibility. It is a simple cop out to blame the breed of dog rather than the owner. By labeling a breed as "aggressive", they can avoid actually thinking or evaluating based on fact. You are so right Wandrin..... I have taken rescue dogs all of my adult life, some with severe behavioural problems and all Induced by the previous owner.

I agree with Wildfire that aggression can be trained out of some aggressive dogs but not all. The training that worked well on some of my rescue dogs did not work on Bertie and believe me, I tried my damn hardest with him. All of the rescue dogs I've had with problems have been all manner of breeds so I agree, It's never about the breed.

I am actually writing to the MP In Swindon who came on TV last night basically saying that the moment a dog shows signs of aggression, It must be destroyed. It Is possible to have an aggressive dog without Incident providing the owner takes all precautions and responsibility as we did with Bertie. What I want to as him Is this..... The dog In this case was confined In his garden. The two year old child got Into his next door neighbours garden where the dog was... Why are you not channeling your energy Into holding an enquirey Into where this babies parents were? For what followed was due to negligence on behalf of the parents who did not realise that their baby had wandered off and until the dog owner saved him, had no Idea their baby was In the neighbours confined garden.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

You raise an interesting point. Where was the responsible parent/adult?

My insurance agent told me that I could save money on my homeowner's policy if I posted "Caution - dogs on premises" signs on the gates leading to my back yard. It isn't that my dog (a service dog) would bite anyone, but it shifts responsibility to those entering. Where I live, it is far more likely that an intruder would be a wild animal than a child, but I didn't quibble if it would save me money.
Oscar Namechange

Wandrin;1395829 wrote: You raise an interesting point. Where was the responsible parent/adult?

My insurance agent told me that I could save money on my homeowner's policy if I posted "Caution - dogs on premises" signs on the gates leading to my back yard. It isn't that my dog (a service dog) would bite anyone, but it shifts responsibility to those entering. Where I live, it is far more likely that an intruder would be a wild animal than a child, but I didn't quibble if it would save me money.

I think I read here somewhere that British police had advised In the UK you are far less likely to be burgled If there Is a dog on the premises. Simply because most burgler's know that any dog however big or small will create enough noise to give them risk of capture In the act.

I adore service dogs Wandrin. There Is a Facebook site I subscribe to called ' Military Dogs'... It's wonderful seeing the pictures of them In war zones and the bond between dog and handler.

I've been doing some reading lately on the part service dogs played In the Korean war.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

oscar;1395833 wrote: I think I read here somewhere that British police had advised In the UK you are far less likely to be burgled If there Is a dog on the premises. Simply because most burgler's know that any dog however big or small will create enough noise to give them risk of capture In the act.

There is a company in the US that sells the Barking Dog Alarm system. It uses radar as a proximity/motion detector and plays a recording of a large dog barking. The barking gets louder as someone approaches the house.

oscar;1395833 wrote: I adore service dogs Wandrin. There Is a Facebook site I subscribe to called ' Military Dogs'... It's wonderful seeing the pictures of them In war zones and the bond between dog and handler.

I've been doing some reading lately on the part service dogs played In the Korean war.

Actually, my dog is a medical service dog. I have a medical problem where the nerves on the bottom of my feet don't work correctly and it throws my balance off. He has his vest and photo ID card and goes with me everywhere. He is trained for other tasks as well, but primarily he helps with balance and helps me regain my feet if I fall.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Speaking of dogs, has anyone seen a dog lick themselves in excess of 2 hours per session or is it just mine? I'd showered him the day before he'd continued what I like to call a lickfest that would make an ally cat jealous beyond belief. I honestly think that he's completely convinced that he's a cat. The hours on end he lays and watches his feline friends bathe themselves would be enough to crack Jesus himself.
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1395815 wrote: You are so right Wandrin..... I have taken rescue dogs all of my adult life, some with severe behavioural problems and all Induced by the previous owner.

I agree with Wildfire that aggression can be trained out of some aggressive dogs but not all. The training that worked well on some of my rescue dogs did not work on Bertie and believe me, I tried my damn hardest with him. All of the rescue dogs I've had with problems have been all manner of breeds so I agree, It's never about the breed.

I am actually writing to the MP In Swindon who came on TV last night basically saying that the moment a dog shows signs of aggression, It must be destroyed. It Is possible to have an aggressive dog without Incident providing the owner takes all precautions and responsibility as we did with Bertie. What I want to as him Is this..... The dog In this case was confined In his garden. The two year old child got Into his next door neighbours garden where the dog was... Why are you not channeling your energy Into holding an enquirey Into where this babies parents were? For what followed was due to negligence on behalf of the parents who did not realise that their baby had wandered off and until the dog owner saved him, had no Idea their baby was In the neighbours confined garden.

Who decides what constitutes signs of aggression? Fighting with another dog? Most "fight" incidents are to establish dominance and are over in seconds. There's a do owner nearme who is convinced every dog she meets is aggressive - she keeps her pug on a lead and it snarls at every dog passing - she believes it is being provoked she actually got the dog warden to visit someone because their dog retaliated and flattened it. Most dogs will bark at strangers - is that aggressive. Was out today and someone had a black akita - only one I have ever seen - off the lead with children quite happily minding it's own business. Most akita's I've seen are vicious because their owners like the image of a macho dog.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1396713 wrote: Who decides what constitutes signs of aggression? Fighting with another dog? Most "fight" incidents are to establish dominance and are over in seconds. There's a do owner nearme who is convinced every dog she meets is aggressive - she keeps her pug on a lead and it snarls at every dog passing - she believes it is being provoked she actually got the dog warden to visit someone because their dog retaliated and flattened it. Most dogs will bark at strangers - is that aggressive. Was out today and someone had a black akita - only one I have ever seen - off the lead with children quite happily minding it's own business. Most akita's I've seen are vicious because their owners like the image of a macho dog.

I agree.... My God.. My dogs curl their lip at anyone coming near the gate every day.

In doors we have a lot of lip curling and snarling between them.... pecking order antics nothing more.

My nephew has Akita's.... Very good family dogs but yes, can be aggresive.
gmc

Post by gmc »

The breed responsible for the highest number of bites in the UK is Labrador retrievers yet no one thinks they are vicious. .
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1396731 wrote: The breed responsible for the highest number of bites in the UK is Labrador retrievers yet no one thinks they are vicious. .
You're right.

Three years ago I found myself In the Green room of the GMTV studio at 4 In the morning. There was some knob of a Lib Dem MP who was appearing to make a plea to have Rottweiller's put on the dangerous dogs act. It was rather a surreal moment because It ended up with me, Chris Biggins and Jenny Eclair ganging up on him. It was actually Chris Biggins who asked him If he was aware that most dog bites recorded have been from Labs... He wouldn't answer and went off to have his make-up touched up leaving us pissing ourselves laughing at him.

By the way....... These are my nephews Akita's...With a Staff Pup...

The one on the left Is an American Akita... the right... A Japanese Akita.... lovely dogs.

Attached files
gmc

Post by gmc »

The thing with rottweilers and the like if they do go for someone they are just about impossible to stop. Some breeds like akitas and rottweilers they should perhaps have a licensing system for so the police can take stop someone if they are suspicious and take action against those owners who don't have it and perhaps should not be allowed the dog. I like dogs and have two but there are some with their owners I take one look at and keep well away from. I don't understand people who buy a big dog and don't learn how to control it.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1396748 wrote: The thing with rottweilers and the like if they do go for someone they are just about impossible to stop. Some breeds like akitas and rottweilers they should perhaps have a licensing system for so the police can take stop someone if they are suspicious and take action against those owners who don't have it and perhaps should not be allowed the dog. I like dogs and have two but there are some with their owners I take one look at and keep well away from. I don't understand people who buy a big dog and don't learn how to control it. I'm all for that.

My nephew walks the Akita's and strangers give him a wide berth. It's not maybe so much that they fear the dog or the size of the dog but weather the owner Is responsible enough to control It.

Likewise, there are some very small dogs walked In the field outside my house where you can see the owner has absolutely no control over It.
gmc

Post by gmc »

We used to look after a standard poodle on occasion, it was 31inches at the shoulder and with it's winter coat it looked huge. There is a certain immature satisfaction in having the local yoof get out of your way when they see you coming. When we got our latest pup at the dogs trust there was an American bulldog (which looks remarkably like a pitbull) that had been crossbred with a Rhodesian ridge-back. The pups were huge. I suspect it was somebody breeding for a fighting dog. In the wrong hands they would be very dangerous.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1396752 wrote: We used to look after a standard poodle on occasion, it was 31inches at the shoulder and with it's winter coat it looked huge. There is a certain immature satisfaction in having the local yoof get out of your way when they see you coming. When we got our latest pup at the dogs trust there was an American bulldog (which looks remarkably like a pitbull) that had been crossbred with a Rhodesian ridge-back. The pups were huge. I suspect it was somebody breeding for a fighting dog. In the wrong hands they would be very dangerous. I remember you telling me about the Ridgeback cross... that's just dumb !

I know what you mean about the Immature satisfaction... I visited a house twice a day for three weeks so the dogs owner could have a holiday. The nearest and best place to walk him was the cycle path where the local yoooof hang out... normally a no go area.... yep, great satisfaction having an emormous Rottweiller at the end of a short chain.... surprising how polite and civil the local yoof became In standing aside to let us pass :wah: Especially If you add... ' stand aside lads please, only I've got no control over this one'.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Where I live, it is quite thoroughly spelled out what constitutes an "aggressive" dog and a "vicious" dog, by the type of attack and the wounds inflicted. Biting a human so that muscle is torn, multiple stitches are required, or cosmetic surgery is required is considered a "severe injury". Also noted in the law is that if someone is taunting or baiting the dog, trespassing on private property, or attacking the dog's owner, there are exceptions to the rules. There is a point system for aggressive dogs, where the rules tighten and it costs more to register the dog. Beyond a certain number of points, the dog is removed and euthanized. Insurance companies are well aware of the point system and will raise the homeowner's insurance costs for each point. No mention is made of "aggressive breeds".
Oscar Namechange

Wandrin;1396793 wrote: Where I live, it is quite thoroughly spelled out what constitutes an "aggressive" dog and a "vicious" dog, by the type of attack and the wounds inflicted. Biting a human so that muscle is torn, multiple stitches are required, or cosmetic surgery is required is considered a "severe injury". Also noted in the law is that if someone is taunting or baiting the dog, trespassing on private property, or attacking the dog's owner, there are exceptions to the rules. There is a point system for aggressive dogs, where the rules tighten and it costs more to register the dog. Beyond a certain number of points, the dog is removed and euthanized. Insurance companies are well aware of the point system and will raise the homeowner's insurance costs for each point. No mention is made of "aggressive breeds". You know what Wandrin ???

That Is the best method of determination I have come across.

I am seeing my Member of Parliament next week about some boring old traffic regulations nonsense but I'm going to show him your post If that's OK.... our Government needs sensible guidelines not some crazy MP going off half Informed as the one In my original article.

I'll see what my MP says.... I will suggest he may want to take this up.... You never know..... What I like about this method Is that there Is no mention of ' Aggressive breeds' and I take from that, It means each dog Is assessed Individually and not written off simply because It's of a certain breed.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

oscar;1396797 wrote: You know what Wandrin ???

That Is the best method of determination I have come across.

I am seeing my Member of Parliament next week about some boring old traffic regulations nonsense but I'm going to show him your post If that's OK.... our Government needs sensible guidelines not some crazy MP going off half Informed as the one In my original article.

I'll see what my MP says.... I will suggest he may want to take this up.... You never know..... What I like about this method Is that there Is no mention of ' Aggressive breeds' and I take from that, It means each dog Is assessed Individually and not written off simply because It's of a certain breed.

In your meeting, you might point out that a fair and thoroughly documented system for dealing with aggressive dog complaints can save the government both time and money, since it would cut back on the personnel and time required to deal with legal challenges.
Oscar Namechange

Wandrin;1396899 wrote: In your meeting, you might point out that a fair and thoroughly documented system for dealing with aggressive dog complaints can save the government both time and money, since it would cut back on the personnel and time required to deal with legal challenges.

As a Member of Parliament, he's a busy guy and I get only a 10 minute window with him.

Having said that, he's a good friend of my husband and I and I know his methods. He'll tell me to draft something In writing for him to look at and work with, which I'll do.

The truth Is, this country has floundered when It comes to laws re: dangerous dogs. No one seems willing to come up with some sensible enforceable law. What we have had for decades Is a knee jerk reaction every time a child Is hurt by a dog. Then they blame the breed and we see farcical campaigns to register that breed on the dangerous dogs list. So In effect, the country condemns a breed because of maybe one or two attacks.

We have no system In place here that Is policable or can be enforced. We seem to flounder along making the rules up as we go along.

In the 70's, It was the German Shepherd who got the bad press. The 80's It was Doberman's. The 90's It was the Rottweiller . In 2000 It was the Pitbull.... Now It Is Staff Bull Terriers.

Some MP somewhere could earn much Kudos sorting this out. We used to have to register and pay for licences to keep a dog. This was abolished because It was unpolicable. Unless your dog drew attention to himself, who was to know who had a licence and who didn't. It's been a farce for years. :-5
gmc

Post by gmc »

Compulsory chipping would be the answer. Most responsible owners do it anyway in case their dog gets lost or stolen. It costs peanuts and it's quite simple - any dog without a chip is illegal. I know they do fail but organisations like the rspca or dogs trust would probably be happy to check for free if it meant fewer dogs ending up on their doorstep.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

gmc;1396945 wrote: Compulsory chipping would be the answer. Most responsible owners do it anyway in case their dog gets lost or stolen. It costs peanuts and it's quite simple - any dog without a chip is illegal. I know they do fail but organisations like the rspca or dogs trust would probably be happy to check for free if it meant fewer dogs ending up on their doorstep.

Uh oh. You just pushed one of my buttons. Chipping was a great idea. As more and more dogs were chipped and the stories about the success of chipping proliferated, a manufacturer said, "What a great idea. We can make money selling chips and equipment. But we could make even more money if we came up with an incompatible system." So they did. Then someone else did the same thing. Then the AKC decided there should be yet another incompatible system for purebred dogs.

So now there are at least 4 incompatible chipping systems, each requiring its own reader. Few rescue organizations can afford to buy the equipment to read all of them, thus defeating the original purpose. Pardon me while i growl at their greed and selfishness.

If there were a single system, it would be easy to identify lost dogs and it would also be easy to identify dogs that had been involved in incidents of aggression in the past.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1396945 wrote: Compulsory chipping would be the answer. Most responsible owners do it anyway in case their dog gets lost or stolen. It costs peanuts and it's quite simple - any dog without a chip is illegal. I know they do fail but organisations like the rspca or dogs trust would probably be happy to check for free if it meant fewer dogs ending up on their doorstep. I don't agree. I'm with Wandrin on that one that. It's turned Into a money making scheme. As with the licence's, unless your dog attracts attention, who Is to know who's chipped and not although mine and the cat are all chipped.

It's like that Lib Dem MP In the green room... OK at the time, It was horrific... a baby was mauled by a Rottweiller. There he was condemning all Rotts wanting them put on the dangerous dogs list, typical knee jerk reaction but when you looked further at the case, the Rott had been confined to the house for months. had never been exercised and was left alone with the baby....

Sorry but many cases where dogs have attacked Is down to stupid parents and stupid owners. I myself have no doubts that my dogs would never attack a child but If I have visitors with a baby, the dogs get put round the back yard until they leave because there Is a possibility dogs can mistake a baby's cries for a stricken animal so I don't take any chances.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Don't know where you are getting that from - I assume wandrin you are in the states. (akc). It would be easy enough to standardise the chips and scanners if the will was there.

Mine was microchipped or free at the dogs trust but it's £20 - £30 at the vets. The dog's trust do it for free if you ask.

Dogs Trust - Microchipping

How much will it cost?

You can expect to pay £20-£30 to have your dog microchipped at the vet. Dogs Trust currently provides a FREE microchipping service at our Rehoming Centres; please contact directly to book a mutually convenient time. Alternatively you may want to contact your Local Authority Dog Warden or campaign manager for information on any local microchipping schemes that may be running.

The point is when a dog does attract attention it would be a simple matter to track down the owner or if it's in the possession of the owner when it comes to the attention you can take action against the owner.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1396997 wrote: Don't know where you are getting that from - I assume wandrin you are in the states. (akc). It would be easy enough to standardise the chips and scanners if the will was there.

Mine was microchipped or free at the dogs trust but it's £20 - £30 at the vets. The dog's trust do it for free if you ask.

Dogs Trust - Microchipping

The point is when a dog does attract attention it would be a simple matter to track down the owner or if it's in the possession of the owner when it comes to the attention you can take action against the owner.

I'm hoping Wandrin comes back with some more Info.... In the mean time....

Compulsory chipping Is a bonus re: lost and stolen dogs and cats but It will never stop the cases where a child Is Injured In the home due to stupid parents leaving a baby with a Rottweiller or stupid parents not realising their two year old has wandered off Into the neighburs garden. In those cases, there Is no dispute who Is the owner of the dog, chip or no chip.

Even If we had a system where a dog owner faced prison If his dog Injured someone... Is It fair, when due to parental negligence, a baby wanders uninvited Into a neighbours confined garden ?

The only time chipping could be beneficial In tracking an owner Is In the many cases now of Pitbulls being bred for Illegal dog fighting who turn the dog loose once he's past his best.... even then.... no chip... no trace.

People who Illegally breed for dog fighting at home are simply never going to have those pups chipped. How can It be enforcable? Who Is going to police It ?
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1396999 wrote: I'm hoping Wandrin comes back with some more Info.... In the mean time....

Compulsory chipping Is a bonus re: lost and stolen dogs and cats but It will never stop the cases where a child Is Injured In the home due to stupid parents leaving a baby with a Rottweiller or stupid parents not realising their two year old has wandered off Into the neighburs garden. In those cases, there Is no dispute who Is the owner of the dog, chip or no chip.

Even If we had a system where a dog owner faced prison If his dog Injured someone... Is It fair, when due to parental negligence, a baby wanders uninvited Into a neighbours confined garden ?

The only time chipping could be beneficial In tracking an owner Is In the many cases now of Pitbulls being bred for Illegal dog fighting who turn the dog loose once he's past his best.... even then.... no chip... no trace.

People who Illegally breed for dog fighting at home are simply never going to have those pups chipped. How can It be enforcable? Who Is going to police It ?

OK maybe just part of the answer. It might help curb the numbers breeding fighting dogs at the moment the police if they see a dog they suspect might be getting used for that purpose can do nothing, if chipping was compulsory they could at least check to see if it was registered. By the same token if the suspected dog disappears question the owner as to where it is. There are also cases where dogs are being stolen for use in training fighting dogs - ones big enough to put up a bit of a fight before they are killed. I know plenty of responsible owners with big dogs there are also quite a few whose attitude rather strongly suggest they are not walking a family pet.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1397009 wrote: OK maybe just part of the answer. It might help curb the numbers breeding fighting dogs at the moment the police if they see a dog they suspect might be getting used for that purpose can do nothing, if chipping was compulsory they could at least check to see if it was registered. By the same token if the suspected dog disappears question the owner as to where it is. There are also cases where dogs are being stolen for use in training fighting dogs - ones big enough to put up a bit of a fight before they are killed. I know plenty of responsible owners with big dogs there are also quite a few whose attitude rather strongly suggest they are not walking a family pet.

The cases where there has been prosecution of breeding and keeping Pitbulls for dog fighting rings that I have seen are cases where the pups are born Into residential homes, never, ever see the light of day except being loaded Into the back of a van for transit to the dog fight. No-one see's them. They are Invisible to outside eyes and the system although the police do take this far more seriously these days and have been successful In the siezing of dogs and prosecution of the owners.

http://freethinker.co.uk/2009/07/31/mus ... in-the-uk/
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Is the problem of multiple competing incompatible chip reading equipment only in the US? Here, I wish that the public shelters and rescue organizations would choose one system and make it uniform. That would certainly help with lost dogs. It would also help with other problems. Currently, each state has their own set of regulations regarding dogs, and then within each state each county and city/town has their own regulations. Where I live, the county handles dog tags/licensing and proof of current shots is required for that. But different county shelters use different types of chip scanners, so the chance of finding a dog's owner by scanning is reduced. If they would standardize, the unique chip ID could also be used to verify shots and any history of aggression. Then again, sane laws are always helpful. I could see the benefits of having each dog chipped early on.

Uniformity of sane laws and regulations is always key. I travel a lot and of course my dog goes with me. There are still a few states who haven't gotten the message that rabies shots are good for 3 years and have laws requiring every dog to have shots every year. We were turned away at a state park for that reason. Yes, they were checking dogs' shot records to stay in a forest campground.
Oscar Namechange

Wandrin;1397016 wrote: Is the problem of multiple competing incompatible chip reading equipment only in the US? Here, I wish that the public shelters and rescue organizations would choose one system and make it uniform. That would certainly help with lost dogs. It would also help with other problems. Currently, each state has their own set of regulations regarding dogs, and then within each state each county and city/town has their own regulations. Where I live, the county handles dog tags/licensing and proof of current shots is required for that. But different county shelters use different types of chip scanners, so the chance of finding a dog's owner by scanning is reduced. If they would standardize, the unique chip ID could also be used to verify shots and any history of aggression. Then again, sane laws are always helpful. I could see the benefits of having each dog chipped early on.

Uniformity of sane laws and regulations is always key. I travel a lot and of course my dog goes with me. There are still a few states who haven't gotten the message that rabies shots are good for 3 years and have laws requiring every dog to have shots every year. We were turned away at a state park for that reason. Yes, they were checking dogs' shot records to stay in a forest campground.

gmc Is right that here In the UK, animal charities will chip a dog free of charge. However, there are restrictions. Usually, you must adopt from the animal charity to qualify. ' Dogs Trust' where gmc adopted his dog and the RSPCA will do this as matter of course when you adopt. Other Charities such as the PDSA will do It free but only If you are In receipt of full housing benefit. It leaves people on middle Incomes who don't qualify out In the cold.

Most vets In the UK now offer a package where for say, £60, they will give a full new puppy check, all Innoculations and chip. But, you can not force people t do the right thing and act responsibly.

Rabies In the UK Is extremely rare In dogs and cats but we have absolutely no legislation for owners to have their dogs Vaccinated. I would be all In favour of your system because thousands of pups and dogs die needlessly from parvo virus every year.

Basically, the UK has nothing In the way of legislation for owning or being responsible for a dog other than the dangerous dogs list. Even this Is futile at times when Pitbulls are being bred out of public view for fighting.

In my ho, the UK must have a major over-haul for dog owners. Negligent parents who allow their child to be attacked because they haven't noticed their two year old baby has wandered off their premises Into next door, unchecked, need prosecuting, not the dog owner.

Return to “Societal Issues News”