Christian God rant

parsnip_pig

Christian God rant

Post by parsnip_pig »

God is not forgiving, the moral of Genesis was that Adam and Eve sinned, and for that God will punish billions of people with eternal suffering in hell.

God is not loving. If a father tortured his children, for for not loving him. Surely the father doesn't love his children. (I was always told that God loves everyone equally, but maybe my parents got that wrong).

God is not fair. Isn't the definition of fair, that you treat everyone equally. God spent the whole of the old testament looking after his chosen tribe. Furthermore some people are born into rich Christian families, while others are born into poor Hindu families. Some people get an easy ticket into heaven, while others never hear of Jesus and get tortured in hell for eternity.

"If God were completely fair, we would all spend eternity in hell paying for our sin"

from gotquestions - is god fair (I can't use urls)

really? maybe we follow Gods example, and torture our children to death for stealing sweeties. Eternity in hell seems a little bit of an over reaction, for a few sins. Afterall God created us, so that we sin...

The only reason to trust God is fear, but there's no evidence that Jesus was the son of God. Apart from a 2000 year old book that got the earth creation wrong*. A 2000 year old book where God assumes the world has edges. "so that it could grab the earth by its edges and shake wicked people out of it?"Job 38:13. A 2000 year old book that got Jesus's ancestors wrong ...

luke 3:23 : Jesus, son of Joseph son of Heli. ... followed by over 40 generations to David.

Matthew 1: Jesus, son of Joseph, son of Jacob ... followed by completely different family tree to Luke.

Matthew 1:17 : "Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah",

Matthew says there are 28 generations between David and the Messiah, but in Lukes version there are around 40 generations from David to Jesus

why would you trust a book with so many errors?

*biblebabble - creation
fuzzywuzzy

Christian God rant

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Okay.............. :)
spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

parsnip_pig;1393560 wrote: God is not forgiving, the moral of Genesis was that Adam and Eve sinned, and for that God will punish billions of people with eternal suffering in hell.And this summary of the Christian God differs from the belief of the Latter Day Saints and of Islam how, exactly?

To the best of my knowledge Jews don't necessarily believe in final judgement or eternal punishment. I suspect they feel G_d nowadays lacks the moral authority either to judge or to punish.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Christian God rant

Post by gmc »

I find it fascinating that monotheists always refer to the christian god as if the one for muslims et al is somehow different. There is either one god for all or there is not unless there is actually more than one or he has multiple personalities in which latter case you are all worshipping an insane god. But then since you have to be irrational to believe in god maybe an insane god makes the most sense.
spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

gmc;1393605 wrote: I find it fascinating that monotheists always refer to the christian god as if the one for muslims et al is somehow different. There is either one god for all or there is not unless there is actually more than one or he has multiple personalities in which latter case you are all worshipping an insane god. But then since you have to be irrational to believe in god maybe an insane god makes the most sense.
Each monotheist religion says that the attributes of God are X and that because says that the attributes of God are Y, their God is self-evidently not the true God at all but a fictional non-existent Baal of their own devising and that its devotees are hell-bound delusional nonbelievers fit only to be converted, killed or at the very least shunned.

Reference to the Christian God is shorthand for "the true God whose attributes are exactly as described by Christian dogma", in contrast to "the fictional non-existent Baal whose attributes are exactly as described by that other false non-Christian dogma".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Adstar

Christian God rant

Post by Adstar »

parsnip_pig;1393560 wrote: God is not forgiving, the moral of Genesis was that Adam and Eve sinned, and for that God will punish billions of people with eternal suffering in hell.

The only people who will have eternity in the lake of fire will be those who reject Gods offer of forgiveness and reconciliation through the Messiah Jesus.

God is not loving. If a father tortured his children, for for not loving him. Surely the father doesn't love his children. (I was always told that God loves everyone equally, but maybe my parents got that wrong).

God loves His creation but that Love is to no beneficial effect to those who reject it. It takes two to have a relationship.

God is not fair. Isn't the definition of fair, that you treat everyone equally. God spent the whole of the old testament looking after his chosen tribe.

Well i think you will find if your read the OT that the Hebrew people had to go through a few very hard times because while they where chosen they where held to a higher standard by God and suffered when they fell short of that higher standard.

Furthermore some people are born into rich Christian families, while others are born into poor Hindu families.

And some people are born into Rich Hindu families and some people are born into poor Christan families... So whats the point? The benefit of being a Christian has nothing to do with material wealth or otherwise, It is about having an eternal existence with God.

Some people get an easy ticket into heaven, while others never hear of Jesus and get tortured in hell for eternity.

Who said they will never get to hear of Jesus?

"If God were completely fair, we would all spend eternity in hell paying for our sin"

Why would anyone pray in the Lake of Fire? Knowing that there is no chance of ever escaping it.

really? maybe we follow Gods example, and torture our children to death for stealing sweeties. Eternity in hell seems a little bit of an over reaction, for a few sins. Afterall God created us, so that we sin...

God created us Good. But we became sinners the moment we took the knowledge of Good and Evil (after God warned them not to) So nothing that is imperfect can exist in eternity with a Perfect God. And God being perfect Must always be perfectly Just. Perfect justice allows no evil to go unpunished. But God made a way that we can be accounted as Perfect by having all our evils wiped because we have faith in Truth. We are saved by the Righteousness of Jesus.

The only reason to trust God is fear, but there's no evidence that Jesus was the son of God. Apart from a 2000 year old book that got the earth creation wrong*. A 2000 year old book where God assumes the world has edges. "so that it could grab the earth by its edges and shake wicked people out of it?"Job 38:13. A 2000 year old book that got Jesus's ancestors wrong ...

luke 3:23 : Jesus, son of Joseph son of Heli. ... followed by over 40 generations to David.

Matthew 1: Jesus, son of Joseph, son of Jacob ... followed by completely different family tree to Luke.

One verse uses the Greek name Heli the other uses the Hebrew name of the man Jacob. During those times many Jews of israel had a Hebrew name and a Greek name.

Matthew 1:17 : "Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah",

Matthew says there are 28 generations between David and the Messiah, but in Lukes version there are around 40 generations from David to Jesus

Matthew is counting generations as in years a generation in the bible is 70 years so Matthew is saying 70 x 28 = 1960 years. In Luke the number of actual human generations was 42 which makes an average of 46 years each which is a reasonable figure to go with.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days
Clodhopper

Christian God rant

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, if there is a Good and Loving God (and some days I think so, other days I hope so, and yet more I am sure there isn't) his followers of EVERY denomination and creed have made a total mess of His words. Seems to me He says be good to eachother and treat the world with love. Most of His followers (of all denominations and creeds) use God as a reason to treat fellow humans like dirt or justification for killing on a vast scale. I would also note that I have met some lovely religious folk.

The Old Testament seems to me to be the Creation legend and tribal history of a group of Semites and has the same relation to Truth as Beowulf does to Truth for me as an ethnic Anglo-Saxon. And less than eg the Icelandic Sagas. Apart from its historical value (considerable) the moral value of the Bible lies in the New Testament, which says (it seems to me) that life is better for all of us if we treat eachother with love, honesty and respect. Getting bogged down in whether we should wear clothes of more than one fibre, or saying we are doomed to hellfire for all eternity for eating pork, or not being circumcised seems to me to be a complete idiocy, and if God insists on these things then He does not deserve my worship.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

Adstar;1393628 wrote: The only people who will have eternity in the lake of fire will be those who reject Gods offer of forgiveness and reconciliation through the Messiah Jesus.Spoken like a traditional Christian fundamentalist. Congratulations. It's a filthy notion though, don't you think? It paints a filthy God. So whose side are you on, that of this filthy God you portray or that of unqualified reconciliation? Because, to be honest, you sound a lot more like the problem than the solution.
gmc

Christian God rant

Post by gmc »

spot;1393606 wrote: Each monotheist religion says that the attributes of God are X and that because says that the attributes of God are Y, their God is self-evidently not the true God at all but a fictional non-existent Baal of their own devising and that its devotees are hell-bound delusional nonbelievers fit only to be converted, killed or at the very least shunned.

Reference to the Christian God is shorthand for "the true God whose attributes are exactly as described by Christian dogma", in contrast to "the fictional non-existent Baal whose attributes are exactly as described by that other false non-Christian dogma".

Which Christian dogma would that be then? I can't decide if you are religious or not Christians seem to find even more reason to hate each other than they collectively dislike rival monotheists. As a properly brought up Presbyterian I have always been shocked (being facetious in case you are wondering) by the pagan rituals and idolatry of the catholic church and later on as I read more their spooky connections to mithras worship and have long thought the adoption of the roman emperors of Christianity was little more than the adaptation and combining of a misogynistic pagan religion with an up and coming cult for their own cynical ends. A theory I would have trouble defending in detail because it is pretty obvious to me that people make up ritual to suit and will adapt what they comfortable with. To paraphrase e ron hubbard if you want to rule the world invent a religion. Then again Presbyterianism has a masochistic side to it running over to outright sadism and excessive delight in punishing people for their own good. You're not put on earth to be happy but to suffer, die and go to heaven. Never mind what jesus said the old god is much better. Most Christians I find know little of the origins of their own religion or who actually wrote the bible or how and why ot was edited preferring to believe all is for the best, mention the congress of nicea to a biblical literalist and they dismiss it as propaganda where they disagree with other Christians they satisfy themselves that everybody else is mistaken.

Religion is like a drug with unfortunate side effects on everybody round about it.

posted by adstar

The only people who will have eternity in the lake of fire will be those who reject Gods offer of forgiveness and reconciliation through the Messiah Jesus.

I know, you're not a bigot because you are right.
parsnip_pig

Christian God rant

Post by parsnip_pig »

Adstar;1393628 wrote: The only people who will have eternity in the lake of fire will be those who reject Gods offer of forgiveness and reconciliation through the Messiah Jesus.

God loves His creation but that Love is to no beneficial effect to those who reject it. It takes two to have a relationship.

If your father tortured you to death for not loving him, would that make him a loving father?

Adstar;1393628 wrote:

Well i think you will find if your read the OT that the Hebrew people had to go through a few very hard times because while they where chosen they where held to a higher standard by God and suffered when they fell short of that higher standard.

God put a lot of effort into helping Israelites, while completely ignoring everyone else.

All gentiles went straight to hell, while many Israelites didnt. How stupid must some of the Israelites been, to not believe in God, after seeing God dividing the red sea?

Adstar;1393628 wrote:

And some people are born into Rich Hindu families and some people are born into poor Christan families... So whats the point? The benefit of being a Christian has nothing to do with material wealth or otherwise, It is about having an eternal existence with God.

If you taught your child that the world was a cube (before anyone else had told them it was a sphere), they would believe that the world was a cube. Therefore a child who is told that Jesus is God, and then dies, will have a guaranteed ticket into heaven. While a child who dies after being born into a hindu family is guaranteed to go to hell.

While that may seem fair to you, Gods basically sending people to heaven and hell without giving them a chance.

Adstar;1393628 wrote:

Who said they will never get to hear of Jesus?

Fact: Millions of people die before hearing about Jesus.

Adstar;1393628 wrote:

Why would anyone pray in the Lake of Fire? Knowing that there is no chance of ever escaping it.

I have no idea, that was a quote from a Christian webpage.

Adstar;1393628 wrote:

God created us Good. But we became sinners the moment we took the knowledge of Good and Evil (after God warned them not to) So nothing that is imperfect can exist in eternity with a Perfect God. And God being perfect Must always be perfectly Just. Perfect justice allows no evil to go unpunished. But God made a way that we can be accounted as Perfect by having all our evils wiped because we have faith in Truth. We are saved by the Righteousness of Jesus.

What is evil?

God commands the rape of woman and the slaughtering of woman and children.

God is racist against gentiles.

God punishes children for the sins of their parents.

God doesn't believe in equal rights between men and woman.

Is torturing people for eternity, for laughing at bald people evil?

If God can do anything and knows everything, why did God create people who are going to hell in the first place?

Adstar;1393628 wrote:

One verse uses the Greek name Heli the other uses the Hebrew name of the man Jacob. During those times many Jews of israel had a Hebrew name and a Greek name.

Matthew is counting generations as in years a generation in the bible is 70 years so Matthew is saying 70 x 28 = 1960 years. In Luke the number of actual human generations was 42 which makes an average of 46 years each which is a reasonable figure to go with.

In Mathew theres 28 fathers between David and Jesus. He then says theres 28 generations between David and Jesus. Where did Luke add all the extra fathers from.

46 years is quite old to have a child, especially in bible times when people only lived to they where 50ish.
spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

parsnip_pig;1394030 wrote: If your father tortured you to death for not loving him, would that make him a loving father?I don't know any fundamentalist interpretation of Christian God who'd be so kind and forgiving as to stop the torture at death. This is eternity they're talking about.
gmc

Christian God rant

Post by gmc »

spot;1394034 wrote: I don't know any fundamentalist interpretation of Christian God who'd be so kind and forgiving as to stop the torture at death. This is eternity they're talking about.

Perhaps they are not christian else why would they ignore the teaching of jesus in favour of the capricious, vindictive and sadistic god of the old testament.
spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

gmc;1394110 wrote: Perhaps they are not christian else why would they ignore the teaching of jesus in favour of the capricious, vindictive and sadistic god of the old testament.

I'm not convinced the gospels portray Jesus as invariably rejecting vindictive sadism on God's part, though capricious might not apply. I could dig out an example or two if asked.
gmc

Christian God rant

Post by gmc »

spot;1394117 wrote: I'm not convinced the gospels portray Jesus as invariably rejecting vindictive sadism on God's part, though capricious might not apply. I could dig out an example or two if asked.

And forgive us our trespasses,

As we forgive them that trespass against us.

How many times does he need to say it? Revenge is not necessarily the same as justice. I have no intention of getting embroiled in a discussion with you about how the gospels portray jesus and what he may or may not have meant especially since he didn't write them and when I consider a rather moot point as to whether he was the son of god in the first place. Which point of view would have got me burned as a heretic by god loving christians in the not so distant past. In my opinion and experience most biblical fundamentalists reject Jesus harking instead with an almost masochistic delight in the prospect of hell-fire and god of destruction taking it out on them and also particular delight in the fate of non-believers. If there is only one god then you all worship the same one to believe that the muslim god is different from the Christian god or the catholic or protestant god and that god speaks to us all through the rants of people like parsnip_pig or jerry falwell or the many charlatans on god tv or with a beard and robes is a notion I find too ludicrous for words.

I was brought up as a Presbyterian maybe it's that read the bible for yourself and make up your own mind tradition but I would recommend you read more than one book and not just assume the first answer you hear is the correct one. I could actually take part in such a discussion as to whether the gospels portray Jesus as invariably rejecting vindictive sadism on God's part, not least because I can come up with a couple of possible examples off the top of my head I'm surprised you need to look it up. It's pointless because religious belief is irrational and believing the bible is the unchanged word of god borderline insanity. Cheer up though, I don't believe you will suffer the hells of eternal damnation because you don;t agree with me.
spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

I offered to give an example or two of how the gospels portray Jesus, not of what Jesus said or whether he said it or whether he existed. The gospels exist, the way they portray Jesus is testable.
gmc

Christian God rant

Post by gmc »

spot;1394164 wrote: I offered to give an example or two of how the gospels portray Jesus, not of what Jesus said or whether he said it or whether he existed. The gospels exist, the way they portray Jesus is testable.

posted by me

I have no intention of getting embroiled in a discussion with you about how the gospels portray jesus

Or interminable discussions about semantics.
spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

gmc;1394238 wrote: Or interminable discussions about semantics.What you're blinding yourself to are dicta such as "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life", for example. Nothing old-testament about Matthew 25, surely. You have this quaint notion that Jesus is all love and flowers, it only happens when you excise new testament statements that "It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where the worms that eat them do not die, and the fire is not quenched". This is Jesus harking with an almost masochistic delight in the prospect of hell-fire and the god of destruction taking it out on them, not some old testament prophet.
Adstar

Christian God rant

Post by Adstar »

spot;1393632 wrote: Spoken like a traditional Christian fundamentalist. Congratulations. It's a filthy notion though, don't you think? It paints a filthy God. So whose side are you on, that of this filthy God you portray or that of unqualified reconciliation? Because, to be honest, you sound a lot more like the problem than the solution.

That's your judgement. And you make it willingly.

Woe to those who call good evil.

spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

Adstar;1394285 wrote: That's your judgement. And you make it willingly.

Woe to those who call good evil.

If there's anything out there intent on punishing, I'll bite its throat out.
Adstar

Christian God rant

Post by Adstar »

parsnip_pig;1394030 wrote: If your father tortured you to death for not loving him, would that make him a loving father?

To not love pure love is evil. God will have no relationship with those who love evil.

God put a lot of effort into helping Israelites, while completely ignoring everyone else.

Not true. When the Hebrews came near the promised land they encountered a local (non-hebrew) prophet called Balaam who had contact with God.

All gentiles went straight to hell, while many Israelites didnt.

I do not know where anyone has gone after death. Back then and now.

How stupid must some of the Israelites been, to not believe in God, after seeing God dividing the red sea?

They lived in a world where people believed in many Gods. So they where tempted to seek after others because of lack of trust in YAVEH.

If you taught your child that the world was a cube (before anyone else had told them it was a sphere), they would believe that the world was a cube. Therefore a child who is told that Jesus is God, and then dies, will have a guaranteed ticket into heaven. While a child who dies after being born into a hindu family is guaranteed to go to hell.

All innocents are guaranteed to be with God in eternity. And only those who reject the Atonement of the Messiah Jesus have eternity in the Lake of fire.

While that may seem fair to you, Gods basically sending people to heaven and hell without giving them a chance.

I believe God gives all people a chance regarding the eternal destination.

Fact: Millions of people die before hearing about Jesus.

Yes so?

I have no idea, that was a quote from a Christian webpage.

Well it was not a quote from the Bible was it. Gods teachings are in the Bible. Anything else is from the imaginations of men.

What is evil?

What ever is not within the Will of God.

God commands the rape of woman and the slaughtering of woman and children.

God never commanded the rape of woman.

God is racist against gentiles.

God is not racist.

God punishes children for the sins of their parents.

Children do suffer from the sins of their parents, society suffers for the sins of their leaders. It is a observable outcome. The Japanese and maybe the entire northern hemisphere will suffer from the destroyed nuclear reactors. People suffer for the mistakes of their elders.

God doesn't believe in equal rights between men and woman.

God loves both man and woman. and designated different roles for them and for individuals this is not discrimination this is giving specialization.

Is torturing people for eternity, for laughing at bald people evil?

Where do you get this from?

If God can do anything and knows everything, why did God create people who are going to hell in the first place?

Because He valued the creation of free willed beings above the negative of eternal separation from himself by some of them.

In Mathew theres 28 fathers between David and Jesus. He then says theres 28 generations between David and Jesus. Where did Luke add all the extra fathers from.

Say what???

46 years is quite old to have a child, especially in bible times when people only lived to they where 50ish.

The Jews having the Kosher eating laws and the laws on cleanliness lived longer then the surrounding gentiles. 50ish may have been the average at that time in the world but the Jews where above average.

Adstar

Christian God rant

Post by Adstar »

spot;1394286 wrote: If there's anything out there intent on punishing, I'll bite its throat out.

You may end up on your knees with intense shame but you will not be biting Yaveh. When God infuses the mind with wisdom to know why they are being judged and to know what they have rejected that person will be left speechless in their great shame and regret.
spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

Adstar;1394290 wrote: You may end up on your knees with intense shame but you will not be biting Yaveh. When God infuses the mind with wisdom to know why they are being judged and to know what they have rejected that person will be left speechless in their great shame and regret.

Pseudo-religious story-telling ranters like yourself would, in a world that cared, be treated as mental patients to regain their sanity. I'm surprised you can hold down a job, the state you're in.
Saint_

Christian God rant

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1394297 wrote: Pseudo-religious story-telling ranters like yourself would, in a world that cared, be treated as mental patients to regain their sanity. I'm surprised you can hold down a job, the state you're in.

Ouch! That really stings! I don't think I've seen a flame that good for quite a while.
gmc

Christian God rant

Post by gmc »

spot;1394239 wrote: What you're blinding yourself to are dicta such as "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life", for example. Nothing old-testament about Matthew 25, surely. You have this quaint notion that Jesus is all love and flowers, it only happens when you excise new testament statements that "It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where the worms that eat them do not die, and the fire is not quenched". This is Jesus harking with an almost masochistic delight in the prospect of hell-fire and the god of destruction taking it out on them, not some old testament prophet.

Or words put in his mouth by the person writing the translation to suit their own ends. Knowing how the bible was carefully edited and sections deleted as necessary (no bid secret or conspiracy there it was done quite openly) it is not too hard to assume that bits were also put in with the same end in mind. You have no way of knowing whether those were the words of jesus or not. Believe what you will, biblical truth is what people decide it is usually carefully selected to suit their own particular prejudices or world view. Just watch god tv for a while and you can see it in action. My current favourite is the neo paganism they see in those who, for instance, think global warming is a real phenomenon. Environmentalists worship bugs and animals did you know that? For someone who believes they will get their reward in heaven they also have to believe in punishment for non- believers.
spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

gmc;1394400 wrote: Or words put in his mouth by the person writing the translation to suit their own ends.No, I don't think you can go that far. The words are there in the original language, it's not an artifact of translation. You may if you like criticize the gospel writer/editor for inventing words in the mouth of Jesus but there's a stack more such gospel examples. I think the safe bet is to assume every religiously-aware Jew in Jerusalem around 30AD would have taken for granted that hellfire awaited those who offended against God.
gmc

Christian God rant

Post by gmc »

spot;1394401 wrote: No, I don't think you can go that far. The words are there in the original language, it's not an artifact of translation. You may if you like criticize the gospel writer/editor for inventing words in the mouth of Jesus but there's a stack more such gospel examples. I think the safe bet is to assume every religiously-aware Jew in Jerusalem around 30AD would have taken for granted that hellfire awaited those who offended against God.

so you agree with me then? Since jesus didn't write the gospels those who did are putting their own spin in them instead. I'm not criticising them merely pointing out what I would regard as an inevitable fact. IMO it belies the notion that It belies the notion of biblical "truth".
spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

gmc;1394404 wrote: so you agree with me then? Since jesus didn't write the gospels those who did are putting their own spin in them instead. I'm not criticising them merely pointing out what I would regard as an inevitable fact. IMO it belies the notion that It belies the notion of biblical "truth".You're ignoring who "they" are! - "they" are first-century writers. Whether "they" are putting words into the mouth of a real or fictional person who did or didn't do or say the things labelled "Jesus sayings" or "Jesus actions" is a second issue, the prime fact is that the thoughts expressed are those of a bunch of Jews in the Roman Empire before 100AD. It's on that basis and no other that I write "I think the safe bet is to assume every religiously-aware Jew in Jerusalem around 30AD would have taken for granted that eternal hellfire awaited those who offended against God", which is all I claim.

I note two things, firstly if you go back four or five hundred years to the time of the writing of the old testament, I'm quite sure the eternal payback point of view was atypical - the dead were the dead, no rewards and no punishments - consider Saul raising Samuel's spirit through the Witch of Endor for example, one of the few old testament instances of the dead being mentioned in the context of retaining conscious thought. Eternal hellfire is a first century new testament gospel notion, not an old testament notion. Vengeful God's old testament, but not to the extent of pursuing a vendetta into the afterlife.

Secondly, unless you're a fundamentalist cripple-brain with religious mania, the belief of any first century Jew in the Roman Empire is no more than his untested and untestable belief whether you dogmatically ascribe him divinity or not. The ideas of the time aren't the Ineffable Word of God, they're statements about the culture of the day. They're a transient set of ideas set down in a book. Reading them as today's cast-on-stone-tablets truth is hogwash.
Adstar

Christian God rant

Post by Adstar »

Saint_;1394322 wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post

Pseudo-religious story-telling ranters like yourself would, in a world that cared, be treated as mental patients to regain their sanity. I'm surprised you can hold down a job, the state you're in.

Ouch! That really stings! I don't think I've seen a flame that good for quite a while.

Good? Sad you see posts like that as good. I see them as sad, taking the level of discussion down a few notches.

spot

Christian God rant

Post by spot »

Adstar;1394607 wrote: Good? Sad you see posts like that as good. I see them as sad, taking the level of discussion down a few notches.
You dropped the opening comment to which the quotes were a reply, not surprisingly. There's no "down" to take the level when the notches are defined by this:

Adstar wrote: You may end up on your knees with intense shame but you will not be biting Yaveh. When God infuses the mind with wisdom to know why they are being judged and to know what they have rejected that person will be left speechless in their great shame and regret.

Sheer unadulterated poisonous story-telling fiction which says far more about you than it does about me.
Mickiel

Christian God rant

Post by Mickiel »

parsnip_pig;1393560 wrote: God is not forgiving, the moral of Genesis was that Adam and Eve sinned, and for that God will punish billions of people with eternal suffering in hell.

God is not fair. Isn't the definition of fair, that you treat everyone equally. God spent the whole of the old testament looking after his chosen tribe. Furthermore some people are born into rich Christian families, while others are born into poor Hindu families. Some people get an easy ticket into heaven, while others never hear of Jesus and get tortured in hell for eternity.

*biblebabble - creation

Because it has so many truths in it.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”