Rain Barrel Workshop cancelled due to rain!

What's the weather like today?
tabby

Post by tabby »

Happy Earth Day! We're in for a heavy & drenching rain all day today. All local festivities to celebrate the earth have been cancelled because of Mother Nature. I love it! We were interested in attending a rain barrel workshop this afternoon but it looks like it will be on next week's agenda instead! Here's the scoop ~~~~~> CVW Rain Barrels
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1391874 wrote: Happy Earth Day! We're in for a heavy & drenching rain all day today. All local festivities to celebrate the earth have been cancelled because of Mother Nature. I love it! We were interested in attending a rain barrel workshop this afternoon but it looks like it will be on next week's agenda instead! Here's the scoop ~~~~~> CVW Rain Barrels

Driving home this afternoon the heavens opened to the extent that the wipers could not keep the screen clear - and this in the middle of a drought!
tabby

Post by tabby »

I was caught in a rain like that yesterday afternoon myself, Bryn and it can be hair raising! There was little pea sized hail peppering the car and road but it didn't last too long.

Our summer lightning storms can be very violent & intimidating and thankfully they don't usually last but for about 10 to 15 minutes before passing on but they can leave a lot of damage in their wake. When I was a child, my mother used to get very scared during storms and to counter her reactions, my father used to take me out on the front porch to admire the lightning. I think he didn't want me to be influenced by her fears. Somewhere between her frantic agitation and his casual nonchalance at using his youngest child as a human lightning rod is a happy medium and to this day I suppose I float somewhere in that medium when it comes to lightning storms.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1392506 wrote: I was caught in a rain like that yesterday afternoon myself, Bryn and it can be hair raising! There was little pea sized hail peppering the car and road but it didn't last too long.

Our summer lightning storms can be very violent & intimidating and thankfully they don't usually last but for about 10 to 15 minutes before passing on but they can leave a lot of damage in their wake. When I was a child, my mother used to get very scared during storms and to counter her reactions, my father used to take me out on the front porch to admire the lightning. I think he didn't want me to be influenced by her fears. Somewhere between her frantic agitation and his casual nonchalance at using his youngest child as a human lightning rod is a happy medium and to this day I suppose I float somewhere in that medium when it comes to lightning storms.

I've happily stood in the middle of a field whilst camping to take a photograph of lightening striking the field next to us, the strikes were so regular that I managed a spectacular shot, but the sudden monsoon downpours when I'm driving scare me. I normally pull off the road and wait them out but there was no hard shoulder when it started and when there was I felt safer moving at the same speed as the other traffic than being an obstruction at the side of the road.

Return to “Weather Station”