The feeling poorly and sorry for oneself thread

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
theia

Post by theia »

I broke a bone in my foot a month ago and I've had sinusitis/cough/blocked ears for about the same length of time. When my GP was referring me for a bone density scan (because I don't know how I broke the bone :-5), he checked my ears and, on finding the channels clear of infection, offered to send me for an audiogram! I declined, fairly gracefully...but my, am I feeling old and decrepit...and sorry for myself.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
xara

Post by xara »

Did he find how you broke the bone?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1389984 wrote: I broke a bone in my foot a month ago and I've had sinusitis/cough/blocked ears for about the same length of time. When my GP was referring me for a bone density scan (because I don't know how I broke the bone :-5), he checked my ears and, on finding the channels clear of infection, offered to send me for an audiogram! I declined, fairly gracefully...but my, am I feeling old and decrepit...and sorry for myself.

I don't think you're deaf, I only have to repeat myself once or twice when in your company ;)

As for your foot, well you will go buying new garden tools and then spend the afternoon putting them to good use. You should never have thought of buying such a thing :wah:
theia

Post by theia »

xara;1389985 wrote: Did he find how you broke the bone?

No, hence the dexa scan. So now I'm hobbling around scared ****less that I may break another bone without realising it at the time. In fact, I'm thinking that I could even break every bone in my body without knowing it and just crumble into a pile of flesh and dust on the floor!

On the other hand, the scan might show nothing untoward at all :D
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Can I join :-(

I'm poorly and feeling very sorry for myself - is that good enough?

I'll cough and sneeze if you like but I do feel very poorly

I've even been off work

No wonder I'm feeling sorry for myself :-((
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1389988 wrote: I don't think you're deaf, I only have to repeat myself once or twice when in your company ;)

As for your foot, well you will go buying new garden tools and then spend the afternoon putting them to good use. You should never have thought of buying such a thing :wah:

Sorry?

I love my £26.99 stainless steel hoe. It's the first hoe I have ever owned. And I haven't been able to use it for a month :(

I'm not casting any aspersions here but I do think it was unwise to advise an old woman to buy a hoe.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1389993 wrote: No, hence the dexa scan. So now I'm hobbling around scared ****less that I may break another bone without realising it at the time. In fact, I'm thinking that I could even break every bone in my body without knowing it and just crumble into a pile of flesh and dust on the floor!

Ah, I get it now. Mum was diagnosed with bad osteoporosis a few years ago, she's 80 this year and has never broken a bone. They're just checking things out that's all so don't worry, you won't crumble, what you might do is hit the person that suggested the hoe :thinking:
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1389995 wrote: Sorry?

I love my £26.99 stainless steel hoe. It's the first hoe I have ever owned. And I haven't been able to use it for a month :(

I'm not casting any aspersions here but I do think it was unwise to advise an old woman to buy a hoe.

Oh, and if you need company for the scan, or a lift or anything let me know :-4
xara

Post by xara »

theia;1389993 wrote: No, hence the dexa scan. So now I'm hobbling around scared ****less that I may break another bone without realising it at the time. In fact, I'm thinking that I could even break every bone in my body without knowing it and just crumble into a pile of flesh and dust on the floor!

Gosh. I feel like a fool complaining about my sore throat now.

I do hope they don't find anything untoward :)

And for your bones, drink more milk ;)
theia

Post by theia »

Bryn Mawr;1389994 wrote: Can I join :-(

I'm poorly and feeling very sorry for myself - is that good enough?

I'll cough and sneeze if you like but I do feel very poorly

I've even been off work

No wonder I'm feeling sorry for myself :-((

Oh yes, Bryn, please do join...us poorly people must stick together...no-one else cares. What sort of cough have you got? Mine comes on in bouts and I'm rendered incapable of anything during that time. Although I do have to still remember to hobble or my foot will start hurting.

It's all very unfair and we do NOT deserve it.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I know how painful broken bones can be. And I had a serious ear Infection about a year ago that made so miserable so I know how you feel.

I really hope you recover soon and feel better.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
theia

Post by theia »

xara;1390001 wrote: Gosh. I feel like a fool complaining about my sore throat now.

I do hope they don't find anything untoward :)

And for your bones, drink more milk ;)

Go right ahead, this is a thread for any ailment and any poorliness...we need people to care, though I don't suppose they will. My daughter mentioned a gun the other day when I was listing my troubles...she was joking...I think :thinking:
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1389997 wrote: Oh, and if you need company for the scan, or a lift or anything let me know :-4

Thanks for that, Betty...I might well ask for your company.
theia

Post by theia »

oscar;1390005 wrote: I know how painful broken bones can be. And I had a serious ear Infection about a year ago that made so miserable so I know how you feel.

I really hope you recover soon and feel better.

Aw, thanks, Oscar...certainly not as painful as your husband's injuries, I know, but still very uncomfortable. And I feel such a plonker, hobbling everywhere.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

After reading this thread I'm glad I have my anti virus running. Oh , and some calcium pills..
theia

Post by theia »

YZGI;1390014 wrote: After reading this thread I'm glad I have my anti virus running. Oh , and some calcium pills..

You are not welcome here, YZGI...you are healthy!

(only joking, of course)
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

theia;1390016 wrote: You are not welcome here, YZGI...you are healthy!

(only joking, of course)

Yup, healthy, happy and horny...OOPS wrong thread again.:-5

Erm, maybe even wrong forum..:wah:
theia

Post by theia »

YZGI;1390017 wrote: Yup, healthy, happy and horny...OOPS wrong thread again.:-5

Erm, maybe even wrong forum..:wah:

And now you dare to use a smiley here! This is for miserable people! Sick, miserable people!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

While we're at the moaning point then I'll join in...

Been ten months feeling like crap, won't go into details the men will run screaming from the thread! But it's all a by product of having a baby ten months ago.

Been sneezing all day, think I was last night too, nose is raw and just got the ten month old up again, nice stinky nappy due to his stinking cold, hope he sleeps again soon.

Oh and the car is poorly sick too, expensive kind of poorly sick.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

theia;1390004 wrote: Oh yes, Bryn, please do join...us poorly people must stick together...no-one else cares. What sort of cough have you got? Mine comes on in bouts and I'm rendered incapable of anything during that time. Although I do have to still remember to hobble or my foot will start hurting.

It's all very unfair and we do NOT deserve it.

Nah, the coughs and sneezes are just to convince you I'm ill :-)

It's the thumping headache and exhaustion that's getting to me at the moment.

Still, I should be fit for work by tomorrow - put it this way, I'd better be better, any linger off work and going back will make me ill.
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1390021 wrote: While we're at the moaning point then I'll join in...

Been ten months feeling like crap, won't go into details the men will run screaming from the thread! But it's all a by product of having a baby ten months ago.

Been sneezing all day, think I was last night too, nose is raw and just got the ten month old up again, nice stinky nappy due to his stinking cold, hope he sleeps again soon.

We are all sooooooo going through it. But rest assured that during the fleeting moments when I am not feeling sorry for myself, I give a thought for you.

Bryn is it a stress headache?
Lon

Post by Lon »

theia;1389984 wrote: I broke a bone in my foot a month ago and I've had sinusitis/cough/blocked ears for about the same length of time. When my GP was referring me for a bone density scan (because I don't know how I broke the bone :-5), he checked my ears and, on finding the channels clear of infection, offered to send me for an audiogram! I declined, fairly gracefully...but my, am I feeling old and decrepit...and sorry for myself.

Sorry to hear about your foot---------however, if you will get the Audiogram and get your hearing fixed I am sure you will feel better over all. Dentures, canes and hearing aids are the Badges of Courage for we Oldies. :wah:
theia

Post by theia »

Well, I'm going to hobble off to bed now...though it's likely I'll have to hobble down again when my head hits the pillow and the coughing begins.

I'm a martyr to my cause, a truly incredible woman, fighting against the odds...on my own. I amaze myself at times.
theia

Post by theia »

Lon;1390028 wrote: Sorry to hear about your foot---------however, if you will get the Audiogram and get your hearing fixed I am sure you will feel better over all. Dentures, canes and hearing aids are the Badges of Courage for we Oldies. :wah:

I suppose you're right, Lon. We are a sturdy, undaunted lot, us oldies.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

theia;1390024 wrote: We are all sooooooo going through it. But rest assured that during the fleeting moments when I am not feeling sorry for myself, I give a thought for you.

Bryn is it a stress headache?

Pure lack of sleep as a result of the twisted knee that came from ...

May we all recover fully and swiftly - sweet dreams, good night.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1390040 wrote: Pure lack of sleep as a result of the twisted knee that came from ...

May we all recover fully and swiftly - sweet dreams, good night.

Try a bit of lavender for the headache.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I had the flu about a month ago... if you get lung rot like I did, I suggest getting some OTC cough syrup and take it before bed. Keep it on hand for when you wake up choking on phlegm and you should be able to get back to sleep for another few hours. The worst part was the fever but aspirin helps a lot if you're able to take it. Other than that, drink lots of water and take your multi-vitamins.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I had the flu about a month ago
Do you take the yearly flu shot snooze? I like your new avatar. Anything with cats is most suitable. :-)
tabby

Post by tabby »

Pollen is heavy this year and although I'm not normally an allergy sufferer, it had me sneezing yesterday and blowing my nose most of the day plus it made my eyes water. Allergy sufferers have my sympathy!

Sorry to hear about your foot, Theia and I hope it mends well! There's lots of tiny bones in the foot and they're probably more prone to injury than larger bones in general.
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1390040 wrote: Pure lack of sleep as a result of the twisted knee that came from ...

May we all recover fully and swiftly - sweet dreams, good night. I feel like I've been on my feet forever right now.... A couple of days ago my dreaded Phlebitis returned and I started to get headaches due to lack of sleep also.

Blimey, what a sickly bunch we all are.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
theia

Post by theia »

oscar;1390155 wrote: I feel like I've been on my feet forever right now.... A couple of days ago my dreaded Phlebitis returned and I started to get headaches due to lack of sleep also.

Blimey, what a sickly bunch we all are.

Well, some of us are! But you wait...all the healthy ones will find their way in here eventually when a nasty bug hits them...and I bet they'll moan far more than we do.

Sorry you're not feeling so good, oscar, is your sleep really bad?
Oscar Namechange

theia;1390163 wrote: [QUOTE=oscar;1390155]I feel like I've been on my feet forever right now.... A couple of days ago my dreaded Phlebitis returned and I started to get headaches due to lack of sleep also.

Blimey, what a sickly bunch we all are.[/QUOTE]

Well, some of us are! But you wait...all the healthy ones will find their way in here eventually when a nasty bug hits them...and I bet they'll moan far more than we do.

Sorry you're not feeling so good, oscar, is your sleep really bad?I think what's happening Is that I'm becoming Over-tired. I fall asleep but even with my prescribed sleeping pills, I am waking every two hours or so... I fall back to sleep each time but come morning, I feel as If I have not slept at all. I am sleeping In another bed In case I knock Peter In the night which I don't like and also I think I'm listening all night In case he calls me to help him to the bathroom.
rajakrsna

Post by rajakrsna »

oscar;1390168 wrote: [QUOTE=theia;1390163]I think what's happening Is that I'm becoming Over-tired. I fall asleep but even with my prescribed sleeping pills, I am waking every two hours or so... I fall back to sleep each time but come morning, I feel as If I have not slept at all. I am sleeping In another bed In case I knock Peter In the night which I don't like and also I think I'm listening all night In case he calls me to help him to the bathroom.

I can put my wife to sleep by my ramblings or give her a good massage on her back. Since I found out lately she gets contact dermatitis with eucalyptus lotion I massage her back and neck with baby powder. After 30 to 60 minutes of massaging I know she has fallen asleep because I can hear her snoring.
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
rajakrsna

Post by rajakrsna »

Would you mind if I ask how old are you? Why I am asking its because the moment you tell your mind you are old and decrepit, it will obey you
Lon

Post by Lon »

rajakrsna;1390180 wrote: Would you mind if I ask how old are you? Why I am asking its because the moment you tell your mind you are old and decrepit, it will obey you

According to Theia's listed Profile on FG she is 64 years of age. A mere chick.
rajakrsna

Post by rajakrsna »

Lon;1390183 wrote: According to Theia's listed Profile on FG she is 64 years of age. A mere chick.

When I get older losing my head many years from now

Will you still be sending me a valentine birthday

greetings bottle of wine

If I been out till quarter to 3

Would you lock the door will you still need me

Will you still feed me when I`m 64!
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1390183 wrote: According to Theia's listed Profile on FG she is 64 years of age. A mere chick. A good looking chick at that
theia

Post by theia »

oscar;1390168 wrote: [QUOTE=theia;1390163]I think what's happening Is that I'm becoming Over-tired. I fall asleep but even with my prescribed sleeping pills, I am waking every two hours or so... I fall back to sleep each time but come morning, I feel as If I have not slept at all. I am sleeping In another bed In case I knock Peter In the night which I don't like and also I think I'm listening all night In case he calls me to help him to the bathroom.

Exactly the same here, oscar.
theia

Post by theia »

rajakrsna;1390180 wrote: Would you mind if I ask how old are you? Why I am asking its because the moment you tell your mind you are old and decrepit, it will obey you

I'm 63 and actually I agree with what you say about the mind. But I find it a difficult balance. Society says that I'm old and I feel old at work with my younger colleagues. I feel old in the company of my children and grandchildren. But I work as a ward clerk on an eldercare work and I'm quite a lot younger than some of our patients, which can sometimes convince me that I've a "way to go." And I also know that I'm more than a body and my soul is ageless....just lots of competing voices in my head :-5
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

theia;1390190 wrote: I'm 63 and actually I agree with what you say about the mind. But I find it a difficult balance. Society says that I'm old and I feel old at work with my younger colleagues. I feel old in the company of my children and grandchildren. But I work as a ward clerk on an eldercare work and I'm quite a lot younger than some of our patients, which can sometimes convince me that I've a "way to go." And I also know that I'm more than a body and my soul is ageless....just lots of competing voices in my head :-5

A spring chicken then, that's no age at all.

If ever I start thinking I'm old I look at my mother in law who's ninety five, still has all of her marbles (and some of her daughter's as well) and still looks after herself and keeps the home they bought a decade before you were born :-)
theia

Post by theia »

How is everyone? Well? Because if you are, this is not the thread for you :(
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1391809 wrote: How is everyone? Well? Because if you are, this is not the thread for you :(

I'm not even sure I have the energy to type...

got some sort of horrible lurgey that's obviously doing the rounds. My head aches, then my shoulders, my elbows, my wrists, my knuckles, my knees, my ankles. Been meaning to get up and make a coffee for the last twenty minutes, can't be bothered. My big lad has had this for four days and I made him go to school every day, he's only surfaced to eat his tea today, what a horrible mother I am! The little lad is the one responsible for spreading it around, he's been under the weather for the last week.
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1391811 wrote: I'm not even sure I have the energy to type...

got some sort of horrible lurgey that's obviously doing the rounds. My head aches, then my shoulders, my elbows, my wrists, my knuckles, my knees, my ankles. Been meaning to get up and make a coffee for the last twenty minutes, can't be bothered. My big lad has had this for four days and I made him go to school every day, he's only surfaced to eat his tea today, what a horrible mother I am! The little lad is the one responsible for spreading it around, he's been under the weather for the last week.

Do you think it's a type of flu? Sounds horrible. Tell Jowan that he's very welcome on this thread if he's feeling poorly and sorry for himself.

I'm taking antibiotics for my cough now. But I've pulled a muscle in my chest through coughing...it's so painful that my foot has had to take a back seat, surt-uv
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1391812 wrote: Do you think it's a type of flu? Sounds horrible. Tell Jowan that he's very welcome on this thread if he's feeling poorly and sorry for himself.

I'm taking antibiotics for my cough now. But I've pulled a muscle in my chest through coughing...it's so painful that my foot has had to take a back seat, surt-uv

Jowan is coming nowhere near the laptop, he's one huge snot ball, you wipe his nose and streams of it come away, then he fights you and it ends up everywhere. He doesn't require gel to spike his hair at present.

I started feeling like I'd eaten some razor blades, that advanced to shaking and shivering so much last night I had to go to bed early just to get warm, now I ache. No cold or cough though, hopefully I will avoid those!

Is the cough improving? I guess the chest muscle will take a while to improve, they are so painful, ouch!
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1391814 wrote: Jowan is coming nowhere near the laptop, he's one huge snot ball, you wipe his nose and streams of it come away, then he fights you and it ends up everywhere. He doesn't require gel to spike his hair at present.

I started feeling like I'd eaten some razor blades, that advanced to shaking and shivering so much last night I had to go to bed early just to get warm, now I ache. No cold or cough though, hopefully I will avoid those!

Is the cough improving? I guess the chest muscle will take a while to improve, they are so painful, ouch!

Snot hair gel :thinking:

Mind you, Daisy was a bit coldy when her Dad brought her over today...but not really poorly and easily distracted by Winnie a Pooh and the affalump:)
spot

Post by spot »

My theory, which is mine, is that the pair of you are conspiring to deter the emmets and talk them into trying Wales this year.

I offer sympathy though I doubt it's much help to those in extremis.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

theia;1391818 wrote: but not really poorly and easily distracted by Winnie a Pooh and the affalump:)

What you need is to sit on a lap and hear all about Eeyore.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

I could feel sorry for myself I suppose. Physically, I am exhausted. Peter Is more mobile but still needs a lot of help.

Some time In the next few weeks, maybe sooner, my eldest dog needs to be put to sleep.

But my brother Is coming to stay for a week on wednesday and I can't wait.
theia

Post by theia »

spot;1391820 wrote: What you need is to sit on a lap and hear all about Eeyore.

Sitting on someone else's lap would be inadvisable because I'm 63 and I have a hacking cough.

I shall say no more and I trust that my chum will make no further comment.

Thank you.
theia

Post by theia »

oscar;1391821 wrote: I could feel sorry for myself I suppose. Physically, I am exhausted. Peter Is more mobile but still needs a lot of help.

Some time In the next few weeks, maybe sooner, my eldest dog needs to be put to sleep.

But my brother Is coming to stay for a week on wednesday and I can't wait.

It's really good that you're excited about your brother's visit..that should lift your spirits :-6

Return to “General Chit Chat”