Get with the times: You're driving all wrong

A forum created specifically for polls.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Bottom Line - Get with the times: You're driving all wrong

Hmmmm ... according to this article, I should consider shifting my hands down a little on the steering wheel. I usually drive in either the "10 & 2" position or the "11 & 1" position. I don't remember if I was taught that way or if I'm just inclined to it because it's comfortable for me. I'll probably try out the new recommendation of "9 & 3" next time I go somewhere but old habits die hard although the prospect of the possible injuries they describe may change my mind!

How do you currently hold the wheel? Think you'll change?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1389234 wrote: Bottom Line - Get with the times: You're driving all wrong

Hmmmm ... according to this article, I should consider shifting my hands down a little on the steering wheel. I usually drive in either the "10 & 2" position or the "11 & 1" position. I don't remember if I was taught that way or if I'm just inclined to it because it's comfortable for me. I'll probably try out the new recommendation of "9 & 3" next time I go somewhere but old habits die hard although the prospect of the possible injuries they describe may change my mind!

How do you currently hold the wheel? Think you'll change?

The trouble with quarter to three rather than ten to two is that it puts the entire responsibility for supporting the weight of your arms on your grip and shoulder muscles. By having your hands slightly higher on the wheel it takes some of the weight for you and is therefore less tiring over a long distance whilst giving you the same, or a very similar, degree of control.

Another thing to remember is that American airbags would not be allowed in Europe as they are considered to be too dangerous for just the reasons outlined in the article. I'd suggest that the correct response is not to change your driving style for one which is less safe but to demand safer airbags.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

At 6 o'clock with one hand mostly.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

My hands are all over the "clock".

Sometimes one hand, sometimes two.

Sometimes, a wrist draped over the top.

When driving "seriously" - Bad weather, high speed, heavy traffic and such - usually both hands somewhere on the upper hemisphere.

Change? after 50 some years of driving? probably not.

I had a friend who was a religiously '10 and 2, with-a-firm-grip-on-the-wheel driver. She was hit by another car, head on, and the worst injuries were her wrists and arms broken by the airbag.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bryn Mawr;1389235 wrote: The trouble with quarter to three rather than ten to two is that it puts the entire responsibility for supporting the weight of your arms on your grip and shoulder muscles. By having your hands slightly higher on the wheel it takes some of the weight for you and is therefore less tiring over a long distance whilst giving you the same, or a very similar, degree of control.

Another thing to remember is that American airbags would not be allowed in Europe as they are considered to be too dangerous for just the reasons outlined in the article. I'd suggest that the correct response is not to change your driving style for one which is less safe but to demand safer airbags.

You also have less ability to handle the car on sharp bends imo, but I gather cornering is not a major issue in the states. Why such powerful airbags? I find it hard to credit people accept such a destructive set up - surely the manufacturers get sued for the injuries they cause
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1389364 wrote: You also have less ability to handle the car on sharp bends imo, but I gather cornering is not a major issue in the states. Why such powerful airbags? I find it hard to credit people accept such a destructive set up - surely the manufacturers get sued for the injuries they cause

Quarter to three isn't too bad but twenty to four is positively unsafe as, in my opinion, is five to one.

As to the airbags, I was shocked when I first found how dangerous they were.

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”