Well, Color Me Shocked

What's the weather like today?
Cascadian

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Cascadian »

I've spent the majority of my life living in various places in the Pacific Northwest, and it's always been a favorite conversational opener to bitch about the never-ending rain (about nine months out of the year).

So lookee here, there's actually a seasonal drought in both Oregon and Washington (and Hawaii, too -- amazing!):

I think the American West is going to be in a world of hurt this summer with continuing drought because this outlook map goes through the end of May -- right before the hot summer weather starts again...

I guess I won't complain, then, about the rain and wind outside today.

Is anyone else surprised by this map?
tabby

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by tabby »

It sounds about right for Virginia. We've had higher than average rainfalls for the past year or so and I hope that trend continues! Several years ago we had drought conditions for a year or two and it was so wretched. I didn't realize the drought was so widespread in the west and I hope the predictions for its continuation are wrong.
Cascadian

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Cascadian »

I guess things don't look too much better for those of you across the pond. So are you using your egg timers to keep those showers under four minutes? :rolleyes:

UK drought 2012: Water companies say we mustn't spend more than FOUR minutes in the shower | Mail Online

Bruv

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Bruv »

It is amazing that we live on an island, and have the reputation for carrying umbrellas all the time because of our changeable weather and yet we are having a drought.

I live about 12 miles from the coast, just right of the Bewl water marker and apart from showers , can't remember the last decent downpour.

Where is all that water going when it evaporates into the atmosphere ?

It must be coming down somewhere
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1387231 wrote: It is amazing that we live on an island, and have the reputation for carrying umbrellas all the time because of our changeable weather and yet we are having a drought.

I live about 12 miles from the coast, just right of the Bewl water marker and apart from showers , can't remember the last decent downpour.

Where is all that water going when it evaporates into the atmosphere ?

It must be coming down somewhere

Australia from what I hear.

Given the distance that the water vapour travels before it falls as rain a change in weather pattern can mean the move is half a world away.
AnneBoleyn

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by AnneBoleyn »

This summer may be made worse, at least on East Coast, as we did not have snow this winter. No ice melting & streams & creeks will dry up.
Cascadian

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Cascadian »

Bruv, are you allowed to collect rainwater under your community's ordinances? Just a thought...

This British correspondent's report reflects his frustration:

"Writing about impending drought, in my experience, is a dicey business. The last time I did so – in June 2011, after the second driest spring on record – a wet summer duly followed. And I well remember, as a young reporter, interviewing Denis Howell, the newly appointed Minister for Drought, in the long dry summer of 1976: within days the heavens opened and he was made Minister for Floods."

"...Rainfall in the south-eastern half of Britain over recent months has been lower than before the 1976 drought, making it the region’s third dry winter in a row. East Anglia has suffered the most arid March to January in a century, parts of the Midlands have had the driest 26 months on record. Even the recent snow has helped little: one foot of the stuff only translates into an inch of water."

Only the heavens can prevent a dreadful drought in England - Telegraph

Anne, at least you shouldn't have to worry about an outright drought:

Not hurting for water....(2-28-12) - NewsChannel 9 WSYR
Snooz

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Snooz »

I'm happy to see my area is having a 'very moist spell'.
YZGI

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by YZGI »

SnoozeAgain;1387254 wrote: I'm happy to see my area is having a 'very moist spell'.

Been awhile eh?
Snooz

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Snooz »

Its never been on the news before.
YZGI

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by YZGI »

SnoozeAgain;1387299 wrote: Its never been on the news before.

It never makes the news until it starts concerning the masses.
Snooz

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Snooz »

I'm pretty sure I don't have any but I'll check when I get home.
gmc

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by gmc »

Cascadian;1387227 wrote: I guess things don't look too much better for those of you across the pond. So are you using your egg timers to keep those showers under four minutes? :rolleyes:

UK drought 2012: Water companies say we mustn't spend more than FOUR minutes in the shower | Mail Online

That's because they keep building more and more houses without any thought as to whether the land can support that many. It's been going on for years. Never mind after independence we moght be prepared to sell water south of the border, more likely they will drain the lake district first.
Cascadian

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Cascadian »

That's pretty generous of Scotland to be offering to sell some of their excess water supplies south of the border, but is there an existing pipeline or canal system to transport it?

For a distant cousin on my husband's side who just moved back to Texas after decades in a northern state, we asked if he knew about the extreme drought situation there. In a fine example of the "normalcy bias" in action, he blew our concerns off and said the water managers there knew what they were doing.

Oh, yeah?

John Nielsen-Gammon, Texas state climatologist, Texas A&M University:

"The Climate Prediction Center is calling for enhanced chances of below-normal rainfall through spring, which is a problem since May is the most important month for rainflow and reservoir replenishment. In the summer, the odds favor above-normal temperatures, which would imply increased water demand and increased lake evaporation. Thus, there will continue to be water supply issues across most of the state through summer."

Brenner Brown, management analyst, water science and conservation, Texas Water Development Board:

"The 2012 plan’s message: In times of extreme drought, Texas does not have enough water to meet the needs of residential, industrial, and agricultural users. Planning is one thing, implementation is another."

Kellye Rila, director, water availability division, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality:

"While the Drought Monitor map has improved, there are still water restrictions in place throughout the state."

Gabriela Stermolle, planner, Texas Division of Emergency Management:

"TDEM considers worst-case scenario: cities running out of water. There are 100-200 systems in Texas (such as Groesbeck) that have surface water only and are upstream of a reservoir. The cost of trucking in water to Groesbeck (population 6000) would cost over $60,000/day.

Loss of water supplies for power generation from reservoirs that are already historically low would cause rolling blackouts at a minimum. Vulnerability of industrial and chemical plants is in the process of being assessed."

http://blog.chron.com/climateabyss/2012 ... e-from-ut/

All these experts are painting a stark picture of an oncoming Perfect Storm, and none are so blind as those who will not see.
Cascadian

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Cascadian »

Not to make light in ANY way of the truly serious situation those of you in southern and eastern England are experiencing with the ongoing drought, but this writer gave me some interesting mental pictures in his article about it in the Telegraph:

Last time we had a drought this bad, standpipes appeared in the streets in Plymouth and parts of Yorkshire and East Anglia. Hosepipe spotter vans cruised the suburbs to sniff out guerrilla gardeners while a vigilante group of Surrey housewives (the mind boggles!) forced a local golf course to turn off its sprinklers. And the, substantial, specially-appointed drought minister (more boggling) proudly disclosed that he was taking baths with his wife.

Drought in Britain: what's the worst-case scenario? – Telegraph Blogs

As he also said, water rationing of any kind is an explosive political issue no matter what country the drought is in, especially when job loss from factory closure can result. I'm doing my special rain dance for you over there.
Bruv

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Bruv »

Isn't it all relative ?

I have lived through several 'droughts'

I have never had to carry buckets of water for miles, just so I could drink or wash.

I have never has to stand in line at a well and pull up a laden pail of murky water that had to be boiled to be safe.

We all feel hard done by because our lawns are not as green as we would like.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Well, Color Me Shocked

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1387633 wrote: Isn't it all relative ?

I have lived through several 'droughts'

I have never had to carry buckets of water for miles, just so I could drink or wash.

I have never has to stand in line at a well and pull up a laden pail of murky water that had to be boiled to be safe.

We all feel hard done by because our lawns are not as green as we would like.

Nicely said - perspective is everything.

Return to “Weather Station”