The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I have been reading this book by Stieg Larsson,

Fascinating, but I am puzzled a bit.

The story takes place in Sweden, yet things like measurements, distance, temperature are in English/US

Fahrenheit temperatures, Rooms in Square Feet, things like that.

And several mentions of Personal ID being Social Security number.

I am distracted by such things when reading.

I thought Sweden used metric scales, and Celsius temperatures.

Also, do they call their ID "Social Security Number?"

My first thought, of course, Mr Larrson probably wrote the book in Swedish, and the translators used US measurements in the particular edition I am reading, as it is for American Market.

I am curious, firstly, if anyone in the UK has read this book, and are the same measurements in the book, or are temperatures in Celsius?

Other than these minor distractions, I am thoroughly enjoying the book.

Any opinions on the book?

And please, no spoilers, I have not finished it yet.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bez

Post by Bez »

I have read all three books and I was so enthralled that I didn't notice the points you bring up. As far as I know the Swedes do use the Metric system and have ID cards.

What a tragedy that the author died so young and we will not be priviledged to read any more of his creations.

Enjoy all 3 books......I did
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Go watch the movie, maybe then all will become clear ... or maybe not cos Tom Cruise wasn't innit. Get it? Clear? Tom Cruise? Scientology?
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I will finish it today. Then, perhaps I will watch the film.

I dunno. mostly, I am disappointed when the film makes changes to the plot that are significant.

It is a shame that such a talent died so young.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

You must have an American english version my copy has temperatures in centigrade rather than Fahrenheit and measurements are metric as well - I assume couldn't find any actual measurements in a cursory check but since we have been metric since 1972 - we don't use Fahrenheit either no0wadays- they'd probably not bother changing.

Really good book and the sequels are just as good. I suggest you watch the Swedish film version with sub-titles rather than the english language one. In part I think because you have to concentrate on the subtitles you get more drawn in to the plot.

Same with the english version of the killing - the danish original is much much better.

Return to “The Library”