Dog Park #2 Bet You Don't Know This!

Discussions about your pets!
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

The kiosk at the Dpk makes for the perfect place for me to post valuable information for Dog Owners. The only problem is it has been stagnate for so long no one pays attention to it. I am hoping bright colored background paper may help and I talk to everyone about the current subject.

Did you find this information informative? Did you know?

Lady J
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

Yes this information is informative (and yes I do know about doggy sunburn). I think the bright colours help as well.

The problem also exists with people leaving dogs in cars, they don't realise that half an hour is boiling in a car on a sunny day! Especially for a dog!

Here's something that happend in my home town this year (by people that should have know BETTER!)

20 overheated dogs pulled out of cars. 5 september 2011.

Police saved about 20 dogs from boiling hot cars that were parked at the Euro dog Show at WTC Expo in Leeuwarden. With about 12.000 animals it's been the biggest dog show ever in Holland.

On saterday and sunday many people phoned the police because dogs were locked in hot cars in the burning sun in the car park. 1 italian visitor had 14 dogs locked in a completely sealed car.

They ONLY fined him 500 euro's.

A vet reported to the police at a later time that he had rescued 14 dogs from a foreign

car. 4 died of overheating and a lack of water.

All of these things should be brought to peoples attention more. Thank you for putting up such an informative poster! :)
gmc

Post by gmc »

Having a dalmatian cross I did know, you'd think it could stand the heat given where it's supposed to be from. We use this in the summer out hillwalking or if the dog's in the car

Ruffwear Swamp Cooler jacket - Dog Coats and Dog Life Jackets - Muddy Paws

I thought it was daft when my wife told me about it but it's actually very effective at keeping him cool, you just keep it wet.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Good info, LadyJ! I have fair skin myself so I can relate to their sun sensitivity! I never thought to put sunscreen on a dog but it made perfect sense once I read it. An inexpensive & easy solution!
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

gmc;1375424 wrote: Having a dalmatian cross I did know, you'd think it could stand the heat given where it's supposed to be from. We use this in the summer out hillwalking or if the dog's in the car

Ruffwear Swamp Cooler jacket - Dog Coats and Dog Life Jackets - Muddy Paws

I thought it was daft when my wife told me about it but it's actually very effective at keeping him cool, you just keep it wet.

:wah: Yes, the jackets are great!

gmc ~ do you also know there is a jacket known as Thundershirt that helps to alleviate anxiety, barking issues, hyperactivity and fear of thunder and fireworks?

Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment

I have seen this product work ~ I was amazed at how much calmer the dog became and was then able to enjoy the park.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Lady J;1375629 wrote: :wah: Yes, the jackets are great!

gmc ~ do you also know there is a jacket known as Thundershirt that helps to alleviate anxiety, barking issues, hyperactivity and fear of thunder and fireworks?

Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment

I have seen this product work ~ I was amazed at how much calmer the dog became and was then able to enjoy the park.

I'm afraid I am somewhat cynical about those kinds of things. I wonder how much is a placebo effect - the owner thinks it will make the dog calmer, they are calmer and the dog responds to that.
valerie

Post by valerie »

gmc;1375632 wrote: I'm afraid I am somewhat cynical about those kinds of things. I wonder how much is a placebo effect - the owner thinks it will make the dog calmer, they are calmer and the dog responds to that.

Thundershirts have been around for quite some time now and there is also a similar thing trainers have used for horses (racing, starting gates)

so I really doubt that it is a "placebo" effect. I know many people who had previously tried everything with no luck, so probably wouldn't

have great hopes for this, either, thus not calming the dog by their own actions.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

gmc

Post by gmc »

valerie;1375650 wrote: Thundershirts have been around for quite some time now and there is also a similar thing trainers have used for horses (racing, starting gates)

so I really doubt that it is a "placebo" effect. I know many people who had previously tried everything with no luck, so probably wouldn't

have great hopes for this, either, thus not calming the dog by their own actions.

I know it shouldn't but the name would out me off just too close to thunderpants.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”