Odie... Joan... Passed away peacefully this morning.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I have just spoken to her family In Toronto on the phone.

Joan passed away peacefully this morning In hospital aged 60.

I have expressed my sincere condolences to her family and had a long chat with them. I took the liberty of expressing all members condolences here also.

Her husband Mike asked me to post this thread and Inform you all.

Rest now Joan.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Typical of Joan, Odie, her last words to her family were her concerns over what would happen to her beloved cats.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Do you know how long she knew she had cancer? This is so sudden.

Rest in peace, Odie. I'll miss your posts here.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

She was always a beautiful person and will always be a bright spot on this forum
Oscar Namechange

SnoozeAgain;1368618 wrote: Do you know how long she knew she had cancer? This is so sudden.

Her family said she had a good Idea but refused to go for any tests. They also said that even If she had of done, It would have made no difference.

By the time they got her In hospital, she was full of cancer everywhere.

I can not help but think how very frightened she must have been.

I phoned her family today to get the address of the hospital In Canada because I wanted to post her something to the hospital ut was then told the news.
shelbell

Post by shelbell »

SnoozeAgain;1368618 wrote: Do you know how long she knew she had cancer? This is so sudden.

According to Joans son, she originally went into the hospital for another reason. They admitted her last Friday because she had grown so weak so fast. When they ran tests they suspected cancer but it wasn't until yesterday that the doctors verified it. Joan and I were best friends and talked a lot on the phone. she was a wonderful and sweet woman and will be remembered always. I'm gonna miss you sis!! :,(
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

oscar;1368625 wrote: Her family said she had a good Idea but refused to go for any tests. They also said that even If she had of done, It would have made no difference.

By the time they got her In hospital, she was full of cancer everywhere.

I can not help but think how very frightened she must have been.

I phoned her family today to get the address of the hospital In Canada because I wanted to post her something to the hospital ut was then told the news.

Always a horrible thing to get at an older age that is why I was lucky got Cancer when I did, though it is never a good thing to have.

a buddhist saying goes

"life is a lamp flame before a wind "

may her light continue to guide the way for those she shined upon.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I could tell something was going on, but knew so little about her.

I will miss her.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

shelbell;1368654 wrote: According to Joans son, she originally went into the hospital for another reason. They admitted her last Friday because she had grown so weak so fast. When they ran tests they suspected cancer but it wasn't until yesterday that the doctors verified it. Joan and I were best friends and talked a lot on the phone. she was a wonderful and sweet woman and will be remembered always. I'm gonna miss you sis!! :,(

I hear that a lot, especially at work... someone goes to see a doctor for an "unrelated" problem and they find out it's cancer. Happened to a guy that went in for a backache and came out with terminal kidney cancer. I'm sorry for your loss.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

I am very sad to hear this. Rest in peace Joan.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

OMG I just read about this on Oscar's facebook page. I knew Odie was ill but didn't know she had cancer. And she's just become a grandmother to baby Rylan too!

God Bless Joan.

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

My condolences to her family, I will miss you Odie.
Oscar Namechange

Rapunzel;1368713 wrote: OMG I just read about this on Oscar's facebook page. I knew Odie was ill but didn't know she had cancer. And she's just become a grandmother to baby Rylan too!

God Bless Joan.

She knew Rylan would be taken care of. Mike said It was her cats that she talked of at the end. I told him that If she was In England I would have taken all of them. We chatted briefly about finding an animal charity that would care and re-home them.
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

SnoozeAgain;1368671 wrote: I hear that a lot, especially at work... someone goes to see a doctor for an "unrelated" problem and they find out it's cancer. Happened to a guy that went in for a backache and came out with terminal kidney cancer. I'm sorry for your loss.

Yeah and unfortunately I hear too often they hold of going to the doctor because they think it is nothing big, and with cancer especially at an older age early detection is key.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

oscar;1368716 wrote: She knew Rylan would be taken care of. Mike said It was her cats that she talked of at the end. I told him that If she was In England I would have taken all of them. We chatted briefly about finding an animal charity that would care and re-home them.

I know, of course, that Sean will take care of little Rylan. I just meant that Odie was so besotted with little Rylan and now she won't get to see her grandchild grow up.

Thankyou for letting us know what happened Oscar. I knew Odie wasn't well but haven't had much opportunity to talk to her lately. I hope someone is able to care for her beloved cats.

RIP Odie. xxx
spot

Post by spot »

Rapunzel;1368718 wrote: I just meant that Odie was so besotted with little Rylan and now she won't get to see her grandchild grow up.She put a photo up of the two of them together, just three weeks ago.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Rapunzel;1368718 wrote: I know, of course, that Sean will take care of little Rylan. I just meant that Odie was so besotted with little Rylan and now she won't get to see her grandchild grow up.

Thankyou for letting us know what happened Oscar. I knew Odie wasn't well but haven't had much opportunity to talk to her lately. I hope someone is able to care for her beloved cats.

RIP Odie. xxx

I knew something was very wrong the way she rambled on threads about two weeks ago and In messages to me. I knew she had, had brain surgery for a tumour and I believed the rambling was due to that. She believed and her family confirmed that she thought she was having a nervous breakdown but now apparently, the cancer was everywhere and most likely affecting her brain and eyesight also.

I phoned today because I was going to send some flowers to her hospital. It was then I was told she died this morning.

The thing I find so sad Is that she died alone.

If Mike lets me know the animal charity her cats have gone to, I will send a generous donation. I suggest others do too.
Oscar Namechange

Some past members here have added their condolences on Facebook.

qsducks one of them along with Open Mind and some other past members.

They have all said nice things.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Oscar I hope you keep us updated to the obituaries of the toronto newspapers . That's nice of the others on FB. :)
Oscar Namechange

fuzzywuzzy;1368786 wrote: Oscar I hope you keep us updated to the obituaries of the toronto newspapers . That's nice of the others on FB. :) Mike said the funeral is next week. I will try Fizz.
Dewey2Me1MoThyme

Post by Dewey2Me1MoThyme »

My condolences to the family. I know I haven't posted here in eons, but I talked to Joan on another forum from time to time. So sad. :(
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Dewey2Me1MoThyme;1368827 wrote: My condolences to the family. I know I haven't posted here in eons, but I talked to Joan on another forum from time to time. So sad. :(You do know you're welcomed to post here anytime you'd like, don't you? Nice to see you.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thanks for the information Oscar. What a shock! I've not had the internet for a couple of days, but I have it here in Norfolk so I am able to post. From the time we were told that Odie had cancer and was in hospital, to the time she died, was so short and many of us will not have been able to get our heads around the information.

Joan rest in peace, now all the pain has gone and be sure your cats will be OK and looked after.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
gmc

Post by gmc »

My condolences to her family. Words are just not adequate sometimes are they.
M.A.S

Post by M.A.S »

my condolences to Odie's family and her friends. I'm really sad to know about her disease and death. She was one of few who likes to talk with me in FG and she was my friend. I came her today for one reason, to ask about her and I was shocked when I read this thread:-1, I really miss her. Odie was really good person.

Rest in peace Odie
I miss you Odie
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I'm stunned how did I miss this. I knew she was having other issues the Brain Surgery, Vision problems. Some how I feel she had Cancer all along and the Doctors missed it or weren't looking for it.

Rest in peace ODIE..!! :( :yh_flower:yh_flower
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Odie...gone. Now I'm sorry I stayed away for so long. Odie was always so nice to me, always PM'ing me whenever she saw me online. She didn't have a mean bone in her body. She never said negative things about people. she was one of our best.

So long, Odie. I'll see you again someday. Until then rest in peace.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Saint_;1372821 wrote: Odie...gone. Now I'm sorry I stayed away for so long. Odie was always so nice to me, always PM'ing me whenever she saw me online. She didn't have a mean bone in her body. She never said negative things about people. she was one of our best.

So long, Odie. I'll see you again someday. Until then rest in peace.

I agree, I always found her so nice and we sent each other pms. She was such a positive person and not mean at all.

No wonder that she was being a bit erratic at times, cancer does that to you, for those who don't realise, particularly brain cancer! When one is ill, a bit of tolerance and kindness needs to be given! She must have been so scared and needed much support.
southern yankee

Post by southern yankee »

I know i am late here. But i kept up with her on facebook. i was floored when i heard the news. she was so kind and understanding. what a friend is all about. i am so grateful she had time. with her new grandbaby girl. she was the light in her life. u will be missed.

does anyone know if all her kitties have homes???:-3
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

southern yankee;1376609 wrote: I know i am late here. But i kept up with her on facebook. i was floored when i heard the news. she was so kind and understanding. what a friend is all about. i am so grateful she had time. with her new grandbaby girl. she was the light in her life. u will be missed.

does anyone know if all her kitties have homes???:-3

We may never know. I was obsessing about it and Oscar was kind enough to try phoning the family to find out but the number had been disconnected.

Return to “General Chit Chat”