Affairs of a Forum.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
jones jones

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by jones jones »

When I returned to FG recently, I noticed that a large slice of the community who used to be here and who were very active were missing. I did ask someone about it once and the reply I received was that “all social forums evolve … members leave and others join.” Obviously I have no way of telling if those who left did so willingly or if they were banned.

Anyway my guess was that Facebook & Twitter had taken away a fair slice from most Forums including FG. As far as I am concerned a Message Board should also function slightly like a business. So I got to thinking how, if I owned/administered/managed an Internet Forum, I would go about trying to rewind the tape back to the “glory days.” Of course as I have never managed or moderated a Social Forum, I am not privy to what happens in the “engine room” so to speak.

However I did run our family business for many years, so I have had that experience. Something I learned very early on was that there was basically only one way to ensure that you made a profit every year. Your income always had to be more than your expenses. A basic business practice to be sure, but it is surprising or maybe not surprising, how many of our employees either didn’t share this belief or if they did, they didn’t care.

So in order to make this happen you either increase your income or you decrease your expenses. Usually I found that our expenses were as low as they could go and that no business can function unless it spends money. So inevitably I tried to increase our turnover which meant more sales and if your expenses remained more or less static, then your profit would be greater.

I should imagine that a Forum like FG requires and desires to have a high, active membership in order to function. So attracting members and at the same time involving them would be my number one priority. So your members can perhaps be equated with your “income” in terms of a business.

Any newbie to FG, after checking in at the Introduction Forum is then faced with this looooooong list of intimidating looking forums … some 100 plus, many with sub-sections and several that have not seen a new thread for a couple of years. To me, and again I speak as a Social Forum Running virgin, a trim, slim set of ACTIVE forums is far far better than what is currently on offer.

Finally, maybe our family business is old fashioned and I guess it is seeing as it was established in 1929, but we still adhere to the notion that the customer is always right (until proved wrong!) So, perhaps even fools should be suffered ever so slightly more gladly.

Just my humble opinion of course.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
southern yankee

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by southern yankee »

i have come and went. i can only speak of myself. if u are not hurtful or mean spirited, why would anyone be banned. think before u type. is my motto
flopstock

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by flopstock »

I was going to ask if you felt you hadn't been suffered, but the odds are you would have taken me seriously.

So, I won't.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bruv

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bruv »

What would you suggest a Brazilian ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
buttercup

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by buttercup »

At my work people say it was better before (but they moaned about it then)

New people have taken over the local shop, people say it was better before (but they moaned about it then)

Conclusion - people like to moan.
jones jones

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by jones jones »

buttercup;1366250 wrote: At my work people say it was better before (but they moaned about it then)

New people have taken over the local shop, people say it was better before (but they moaned about it then)

Conclusion - people like to moan.

Nothing is what it seems. One person's moaning is another person'es constructive criticism.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Skylark

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Skylark »

jones jones;1366293 wrote: Nothing is what it seems. One person's moaning is another person'es constructive criticism.

Very true, you can't please all the people all of the time! Tolerance and respect are the two commodities to make a successful forum!
tabby

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by tabby »

As for the layout, I like it very much the way it is and have found it easy to navigate. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to create a poll but I haven't given up yet!
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1376589 wrote: As for the layout, I like it very much the way it is and have found it easy to navigate. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to create a poll but I haven't given up yet!

When you start a new thread fill it in as normal then scroll down past the "Post Icons" to the "Additional Options". After "Manage Attachments" and "Subscriptions" is "Post a Poll" where you can flag for a poll and specify how many options you want.

With this option ticked, when you click "Submit New Thread" it takes you to a new screen where you can add the poll question and the options, specify any time limit and whether it is to be a public poll or private etc.
fuzzywuzzy

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I never think before I type .................................I SHALL NEVER SURRENDER!!!!!! because that would mean I have to do the same crap I do in real life ...I don't want to do that .

as for the opening post you kinda lost me half way through .
Accountable

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Accountable »

I remember the good ol' days when whinging about a forum was much more spirited, even volatile. Oh moan moan moan moan.

:yh_sigh
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Accountable;1376651 wrote: I remember the good ol' days when whinging about a forum was much more spirited, even volatile. Oh moan moan moan moan.

:yh_sigh

Ah, the days when whinging was whinging and a good punch up before breakfast was just the thing to wake you up :wah:
Bruv

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bruv »

Bruv;1366001 wrote: What would you suggest a Brazilian ?

I realise it is irregular, but can anybody explain to what MY comment refers ?

Has a post been deleted ?

Is it in the correct thread ?

Was I trying to be clever and or funny ?
Snooz

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Snooz »

I was wondering what waxing had to do with anything. :wah:

It's a good line to insert anywhere though. "How's the weather?" "What would you suggest, a Brazilian?" "What does everyone want for Christmas?" "What would you suggest, a Brazilian?" It's a good, all-around answer.
Bruv

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bruv »

Looks like I shall have to adopt that as my signature.....it is going to haunt me forever now.
Accountable

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Accountable »

SnoozeAgain;1376791 wrote: I was wondering what waxing had to do with anything. :wah:

It's a good line to insert anywhere though. "How's the weather?" "What would you suggest, a Brazilian?" "What does everyone want for Christmas?" "What would you suggest, a Brazilian?" It's a good, all-around answer.
Almost as good as "so I peppersprayed him." :wah:

OpEdNews - Article: Top Ten Twitter "so I pepper sprayed him" Jokes
Snooz

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Snooz »

3) My little boy asked if god was really a republican #soipeppersprayedhim @markm1962

hahaha!
theia

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by theia »

Bruv;1376790 wrote: I realise it is irregular, but can anybody explain to what MY comment refers ?

Has a post been deleted ?

Is it in the correct thread ?

Was I trying to be clever and or funny ?

I've got to honest, Bruv, it seems apropos of nothing. But if my memory serves me right (and it rarely does nowadays), I'm sure it was in reponse to something...

curioser and curioser :thinking:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Snooz

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Snooz »

That sounds like another fun forum activity. Post something obnoxious/odd, wait for an indignant reply and then delete your original post.
Bruv

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bruv »

That might be the answer, either that, or I am getting stranger.
koan

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by koan »

Due to skim reading I had thought the Brazilian comment was about the OP's suggestion that there are too many forums and sub-forums on the FG boards. I had actually thought it quite cute at the time of skimming.
Bruv

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bruv »

I shall take a quite cute from koan, and pretend that was the idea I had originally.
Snooz

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Snooz »

Bruv;1376820 wrote: I shall take a quite cute from koan, and pretend that was the idea I had originally.

I prefer the conspiracy theory that someone's trying to make you look insane. :)
Skylark

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Skylark »

I think the size of the forum could put people off!
YZGI

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by YZGI »

Skylark;1377133 wrote: I think the size of the forum could put people off!

Bruv;1366001 wrote: What would you suggest a Brazilian ?

Yup it works well...
Accountable

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Accountable »

YZGI;1377135 wrote: [QUOTE=Bruv;1366001]What would you suggest a Brazilian ?
Yup it works well...[/QUOTE]In more ways than one! ;)
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Skylark;1377133 wrote: I think the size of the forum could put people off!

I very rarely use the Forum page as I done stick to one subject but like to view all of the threads that come up.

For that I use the "Today's Posts" or the "New Posts" buttons.
theia

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by theia »

Bryn Mawr;1377149 wrote: I very rarely use the Forum page as I done stick to one subject but like to view all of the threads that come up.

For that I use the "Today's Posts" or the "New Posts" buttons.

Same here
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bruv »

Me too, and when you actually come to post a topic, it's a bit of a search to find the right place to do it.
theia

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by theia »

You're never going to be allowed to forget that Brazilian comment, are you, Bruv? It keeps cropping up :)
YZGI

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by YZGI »

theia;1377175 wrote: You're never going to be allowed to forget that Brazilian comment, are you, Bruv? It keeps cropping up :)

Thats what you get when you travel down slippery slopes..
Ahso!

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1377136 wrote: In more ways than one! ;)With a little work, it makes for a pretty good signature.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bruv »

Ahso!;1377183 wrote: With a little work, it makes for a pretty good signature.

I will seek advice about that new signature of yours, thats gotta be plagarism.
Bruv

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bruv »

theia;1377175 wrote: You're never going to be allowed to forget that Brazilian comment, are you, Bruv? It keeps cropping up :)

I only wish I knew what I meant, that puts me on a par with our Kevin.......and he's clever.
theia

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by theia »

Bruv;1377188 wrote: I only wish I knew what I meant, that puts me on a par with our Kevin.......and he's clever.

Maybe it was so incredibly insightful that you'll be celebrated in years to come. People could be reading this forum in 100 years time and say, wow, that Bruv character was a very, very wise man
Ahso!

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Ahso! »

Bruv;1377187 wrote: I will seek advice about that new signature of yours, thats gotta be plagarism.I had originally given you credit for it (and I'm willing to do so again if you wish me to) but I' had changed enough of it that I couldn't be certain you'd want the credit.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bruv »

Ahso!;1377193 wrote: I had originally given you credit for it (and I'm willing to do so again if you wish me to) but I' had changed enough of it that I couldn't be certain you'd want the credit.
No that is OK, I am not a litigious sort of person.

All my quotes are 'Open Source' amend and improve if you wish.
gmc

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by gmc »

I'm confused. why would you wax a Brazilian?
Bruv

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1377220 wrote: I'm confused. why would you wax a Brazilian?

Who mentioned wax ?
Ahso!

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Ahso! »

Bruv;1377222 wrote: Who mentioned wax ?

Who needs to, you've pretty much set a new precedent. Wax away!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bruv »

Ahso!;1377223 wrote: Who needs to, you've pretty much set a new precedent. Wax away!

Whats Obama got to do with anything ?
tabby

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by tabby »

Bryn Mawr;1376594 wrote: When you start a new thread fill it in as normal then scroll down past the "Post Icons" to the "Additional Options". After "Manage Attachments" and "Subscriptions" is "Post a Poll" where you can flag for a poll and specify how many options you want.

With this option ticked, when you click "Submit New Thread" it takes you to a new screen where you can add the poll question and the options, specify any time limit and whether it is to be a public poll or private etc.

I tried to set up a poll today but I don't see an option after "Manage Attachments" & "Subscriptions" as described above. This is all I see:

Additional Options

Additional Options:

Automatically parse links in text

Automatically retrieve titles from external links

Disable smilies in text

Attachments Manage Attachments:

Valid file extensions: asf au bmp doc flv gif jpe jpeg jpg mov mp3 mp4 pdf png pps psd txt wav wmv zip

Subscription

Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes:
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Affairs of a Forum.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1380125 wrote: I tried to set up a poll today but I don't see an option after "Manage Attachments" & "Subscriptions" as described above. This is all I see:

Additional Options

Additional Options:

Automatically parse links in text

Automatically retrieve titles from external links

Disable smilies in text

Attachments Manage Attachments:

Valid file extensions: asf au bmp doc flv gif jpe jpeg jpg mov mp3 mp4 pdf png pps psd txt wav wmv zip

Subscription

Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes:

Wow!

I just went back and tried it again and it was as I said so I tried logging in as a non-subscribing member and saw it as you do.

I did not imaging that starting a poll was restricted to subscribing members but it is.

In the short term PM me the title, text and options and I'll set it up for you.

Return to “General Chit Chat”