eye for an eye

gmc

eye for an eye

Post by gmc »

At least the christian fubndamentalists will find something to agree with Islam about. Good fundamentalist stuff, an eye for an eye

Iran to blind criminal with acid in 'eye for an eye' justice | World news | The Guardian
mikeinie

eye for an eye

Post by mikeinie »

ya, well this is in a country that still stones women to death.... need I say more
spot

eye for an eye

Post by spot »

And this event happened, did it?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

eye for an eye

Post by gmc »

spot;1359615 wrote: And this event happened, did it?

Acid blinding sentence postponed by Iran after international outcry | World news | guardian.co.uk

Iranian officials have endorsed the sentence in the hope of halting an increase in the rate of acid attacks. But human rights activists have warned against an "inhumane" sentence.

You must admit it might have cut the number of such attacks. Such attacks not confined to Iran we have an element in our society that think punishing a woman for turning them down is acceptable.
spot

eye for an eye

Post by spot »

We might sit back a moment and note, firstly, that Iranian law gives the victim the right to choose whether the eye for an eye sentence is carried out (which English law used to recognise too, in exactly the same manner - it was called weregild). Iranian law, when not being bent to Western prejudice, says that it's a matter between the victim and the criminal. The court adjudicates guilt, the victim determines clemency or rigour, whether it's a matter of an assault with acid or the death of a family member.

One can argue that the choice should be in the hands of the sentencing judge acting for the State, rather than in the hands of the victim. I don't think either argument is so obviously right that the matter can't be discussed rather than ridiculed. Speaking for myself I'd quite like to see punishment removed from the hands of both the victim and the sentencing judge acting on behalf of the State, so perhaps the discussion would be three-sided instead of just two. I regard punishment by the court acting for the State to be just as barbaric as punishment at the request of the victim or the victim's family, and I suspect my minority position is a minimum essential aspect of justice for any society claiming to govern itself with moral integrity.

If Iran's judicial system is to be criticized in this instance, it's for not making its mind up but, instead, allowing Western pressure groups to interfere. Either Iran's laws are culturally acceptable or they're not.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

eye for an eye

Post by gmc »

spot;1359643 wrote: We might sit back a moment and note, firstly, that Iranian law gives the victim the right to choose whether the eye for an eye sentence is carried out (which English law used to recognise too, in exactly the same manner - it was called weregild). Iranian law, when not being bent to Western prejudice, says that it's a matter between the victim and the criminal. The court adjudicates guilt, the victim determines clemency or rigour, whether it's a matter of an assault with acid or the death of a family member.

One can argue that the choice should in the hands of the sentencing judge acting for the State, rather than in the hands of the victim. I don't think either argument is so obviously right that the matter can't be discussed rather than ridiculed. Speaking for myself I'd quite like to see punishment removed from the hands of both the victim and the sentencing judge acting on behalf of the State, so perhaps the discussion would be three-sided instead of just two. I regard punishment by the court acting for the State to be just as barbaric as punishment at the request of the victim or the victim's family, and I suspect my minority position is a minimum essential aspect of justice for any society to claim to govern itself with moral integrity.

If Iran's judicial system is to be criticized in this instance, it's for not making its mind up but, instead, allowing Western pressure groups to interfere. Either Iran's laws are culturally acceptable or they're not.

Iran should sort out it's own problems.
spot

eye for an eye

Post by spot »

gmc;1359648 wrote: Iran should sort out it's own problems.

As should we all, of course. Governments which are bombing two continents simultaneously can scarcely be expected to remove motes from their neighbour's eye.
gmc

eye for an eye

Post by gmc »

We turn a blind eye to the part saudi arabia plays in all of this. In bahrain they are helping crush the calls for more democracy, they are hardly shining examples of freedom and liberty and we can thank them for wahibism, Osama Bin laden and an awful lot of the terrorist groups receive funding from them. Look at the IRA what really stopped the troubles wass the cutting off of funding from america.

If the west stopped interfering i think you wouild see full scale religious warfare between shia and sunni in themiddle east.We will anyway all we're doing is help sit on a pressure cooker. Thanls to western support Pakistan is now thoroughly destabilised and war between them and india ever more likely. It's a mes.
spot

eye for an eye

Post by spot »

So, which is it to be? Are we applauding Iran for giving the woman the right to revenge on her attacker, or are we applauding Iran for refusing to carry out the court's sentence?

Here's the best description of what and why that I can find:Retributive justice is legal in Iran under the Islamic Sharia code of qisas (retribution), but it is rarely used. Bahrami won her case in 2008, when the court ruled that the 27-year-old Movahidi should be blinded with acid. It also sentenced him to jail and ordered that he pay compensation to the victim.

The Iranian authorities were hesitant to carry out the blinding, but after years of delay, the punishment was scheduled for 14 May. On that day, Bahrami went to the prison where her attacker was being held. The procedure was once again postponed when prison authorities failed to find a doctor willing to carry it out.

Human rights organisations are among those pushing for the retribution ruling to be revoked. "It is unbelievable that the Iranian authorities would consider implementing such a punishment," said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, Deputy Director of Amnesty International's Middle East and North Africa Programme. "Regardless of how horrific the crime suffered by Ameneh Bahrami, being blinded with acid is a cruel and inhuman punishment amounting to torture."

Movahidi remains in prison indefinitely, awaiting the carrying out of his sentence.

BBC News - Iran acid attack: Ameneh Bahrami's quest for justice

YZGI

eye for an eye

Post by YZGI »

Let him make the choice. Be blinded and disfigured or stay in prison for the rest of your life.
LarsMac

eye for an eye

Post by LarsMac »

I believe Ghandi Said it best.

"an eye for an eye, and soon the whole world will be blind."
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

eye for an eye

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1360846 wrote: I believe Ghandi Said it best.

"an eye for an eye, and soon the whole world will be blind."

Thats why no one ever said. "A testicle for a testicle".
LarsMac

eye for an eye

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1360870 wrote: Thats why no one ever said. "A testicle for a testicle".

:-2

:-3

:wah:

:yh_rotfl

:lips:
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

eye for an eye

Post by spot »

YZGI;1360816 wrote: Let him make the choice. Be blinded and disfigured or stay in prison for the rest of your life.

The American justice system wouldn't allow that choice. You're suggesting different cultures can each have a legislative system that is neither better nor worse in every respect than others?
YZGI

eye for an eye

Post by YZGI »

spot;1360874 wrote: The American justice system wouldn't allow that choice. You're suggesting different cultures can each have a legislative system that is neither better nor worse in every respect than others?

As long as we Americans agree with their system. Just kidding, thought this turned into a joke thread when you said "American justice system".
spot

eye for an eye

Post by spot »

YZGI;1360875 wrote: this turned into a joke thread when you said "American justice system".

If your voting system precludes you from any realistic prospect of root-and-branch reform, your only alternative to complaisant disenfranchisement is revolution. Last time round it was "no taxation without representation". This time round you might prefer "no incarceration without representation".
YZGI

eye for an eye

Post by YZGI »

spot;1360876 wrote: If your voting system precludes you from any realistic prospect of root-and-branch reform, your only alternative to complaisant disenfranchisement is revolution. Last time round it was "no taxation without representation". This time round you might prefer "no incarceration without representation".

I think the world needs to have a revolution.
spot

eye for an eye

Post by spot »

YZGI;1360879 wrote: I think the world needs to have a revolution.

Oi, Trotsky! Applicant wants a word in booth 3.
YZGI

eye for an eye

Post by YZGI »

spot;1360880 wrote: Oi, Trotsky! Applicant wants a word in booth 3.

Booth 3 is not the lap dance booth. Been there done that.
spot

eye for an eye

Post by spot »

YZGI;1360884 wrote: [quote=spot][quote=YZGI]I think the world needs to have a revolution.Oi, Trotsky! Applicant wants a word in booth 3.Booth 3 is not the lap dance booth. Been there done that.

I hope you kept a firm grip on your ice pick.
YZGI

eye for an eye

Post by YZGI »

spot;1360885 wrote: I hope you kept a firm grip on your ice pick.

You forgot the "n" before ice and the "R" after the "P". I did however laugh out loud.
spot

eye for an eye

Post by spot »

mikeinie;1359605 wrote: ya, well this is in a country that still stones women to death.... need I say more

The issue's been resolved and no, the only person who was disfigured and blinded was the victim in the initial attack, not the man who attacked her. The judicial system took her right to decide seriously and so did she. I'm not sure any other judicial system is so free from criticism that it could be described as "better". Iran is different. Different is good. A single uniform culture across the entire planet would be a great loss.

BBC News - Iranian sentenced to blinding for acid attack pardoned
Scrat

eye for an eye

Post by Scrat »

I agree with the outcome. I would have loved to see the freak groveling in front of her. He's the worst of the worst in my book and not deserving of her mercy. He now has to live with what he did and the world around him knowing what he did. I wish him a hard life.

I also think that it is true justice and a good way to handle such things.
gmc

eye for an eye

Post by gmc »

Scrat;1363702 wrote: I agree with the outcome. I would have loved to see the freak groveling in front of her. He's the worst of the worst in my book and not deserving of her mercy. He now has to live with what he did and the world around him knowing what he did. I wish him a hard life.

I also think that it is true justice and a good way to handle such things.

You can only show mercy when it is in your power to do so and only to someone that actually doesn't deserve it. To believe in a merciful god you have to believe you are somehow guilty of something in the first place.

Return to “Current Events”