ANZAC Day today

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
Delorean

ANZAC Day today

Post by Delorean »

It was Anzac Day in Australia today, in honour of those brave soldiers who fought for our freedom and lost their lives.

Thankyou. We shall never forget your sacrifice.

Anzac Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

spot

ANZAC Day today

Post by spot »

There was much mention of it at Easter Sunday church services here - England, that is - yesterday, and on the radio. Vietnam and Korea were brought up, we listened to a well-spoken lady politician addressing ex-servicemen who'd gone out to commemorate the day there. I've stood in the POW cemetery at Kanchanaburi recalling what I'd been told about World War II round those parts, I spent a while remembering that.

ANZAC Day should be built out of an outrage over 1915. Every time Australian and New Zealand troops have served abroad there's a residual feeling that they've in some way been used, bought and traded for some sort of mythical national benefit which I, for one, can't see in the slightest.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

ANZAC Day today

Post by Odie »

Delorean;1358103 wrote: It was Anzac Day in Australia today, in honour of those brave soldiers who fought for our freedom and lost their lives.

Thankyou. We shall never forget your sacrifice.

Anzac Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

God bless those who served and lost their lives.
Life is just to short for drama.
spot

ANZAC Day today

Post by spot »

I'm not sure what good that'll do any of them at this late stage. God bless those they left behind to cope without them might be more practical. Or even God bless those they widowed and orphaned, if they succeeded in their soldierly task of widowing or orphaning anyone.

ANZAC Day would be a very good day to decide whether those who deliberately chose to send them off to do the widowing and orphaning and dying did the right thing, either in 1915 or on all the many subsequent occasions. In what way did Australians or New Zealanders benefit from the Gallipoli campaign, that's a good starter.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Australia”