How do you hook up a natural gas appliance?

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
Scalloway

Post by Scalloway »

???
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

In the UK, not by your own hands, unless of course you are "Corgi registered" or whatever the equivilant is nowadays. I'm assuming the regulations would be the same elsewhere. To do otherwise is a criminal offense
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Your kidding right? That is done by professionals only and not something a lay person should attempt ever. I might be wrong but it could also be against the law to mess with gas lines.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

If the gas appliance and the gas outlet has compatible bayonet type fittings, you just push fit them together.

Otherwise call in a professional, you know it makes sense.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

ForumGarden wishes to highlight very strongly that self-help in areas related to gas, electricity, nuclear fission and experimentally consuming the contents of cupboards marked "poison" is invariably not repeat not recommended by the site owner, the site manager, the site moderators or the site membership regardless of how their individual sentences might look.

Pay a professional. Stand well back. Do not interfere. Limit your engagement to preparing a pot of tea and a sandwich at an appropriate moment.

Lord Finchley, by Hilaire Belloc:Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light

Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!

It is the business of the wealthy man

To give employment to the artisan.By all means, however, scrape out your own drains. That's good for the soul.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

My first thought for response was, "Very carefully."

Second, use the telephone directory to find a professional appliance installation service.

I know how to do it, and would still use a professional.

That way, if there is a screw-up, you - or your rightful heirs in the case you are in the house when it blows - have a path to sue the bastard who screwed it up.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

With gas and electric the answer always was - "if you need to ask you shouldn't be doing it".

Nowadays the answer is - "if you're not qualified you shouldn't be doing it".
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Snowfire;1352927 wrote: In the UK, not by your own hands, unless of course you are "Corgi registered" or whatever the equivilant is nowadays. I'm assuming the regulations would be the same elsewhere. To do otherwise is a criminal offense
Well hell, if the Queen's dogs can do it, anyone can.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Accountable;1353066 wrote: Well hell, if the Queen's dogs can do it, anyone can.

:yh_worshp:yh_rotfl:yh_worshp
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Accountable;1353066 wrote: Well hell, if the Queen's dogs can do it, anyone can.

Oh that was Sharp hey !

Attached files
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

With gas and electric the answer always was - "if you need to ask you shouldn't be doing it".

Nowadays the answer is - "if you're not qualified you shouldn't be doing it".

This says it all. Gas can be nasty, I don't see much going wrong IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!

In Russian apartment complexes everything is gas. All denizens of these places has seen on at least one occasion Стрельба Звезды (shooting stars) who invariably tend to be clueless husbands trying to impress their wives by hooking up the new appliance. It's really as easy as screwing a connection together, just make damn sure it's tight and not leaking. Use soapy water to check your connection and smell. If you smell something like rotten eggs do nothing, if you turn on a light you could blow yourself up.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Has anybody heard from the opening poster Scalloway ?

Hope he/she has not blown themselves up
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I was thinking the samething, if not I wan't to know where he lives so we can warn people. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Scalloway

Post by Scalloway »

yeah should of warned my neighbor , his dog didn't make it out of the explosion. Haha. Remarkably, I made it out in one piece, I appreciate the compassionate concerns. Getting a professional to do a man's job isn't what I do. :P I like to try everything first, and it ended up being easier than it sounds. Some word of advice for anyone trying this their self is make sure you have your wife hide your cigarettes until your done.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

DIY gas installations should be performed in a relaxed, unhurried manner. Many find that having a cigarette while undertaking the procedure reduces the tension and stress.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Scalloway;1353186 wrote:

I like to try everything first, and it ended up being easier than it sounds.

Myself........I let the wife cook a celebration meal for such a job, while I pop out to get some beers.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Natural Gas as In Bottled Gas?....well if you've ever had to attach a bottle of gas to the BBQ then you already know what to do it's actually quite easy ....you can buy the fitting and pipe from your hardware store .
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1353242 wrote: Natural Gas as In Bottled Gas?....well if you've ever had to attach a bottle of gas to the BBQ then you already know what to do it's actually quite easy ....you can buy the fitting and pipe from your hardware store .

Here it would be natural gas as in piped mains gas.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

OH what ******** would fit that into their house? Bottled gas anyone can do ....But not mains....holy crap.!!! When you're fitting elctricity or mains gas it's not about connection as such but reducement from the mains power source.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, this thread came to mind after reading this:

1 dead, 5 missing after massive Pa. gas blast

One person was dead and five were missing after a massive natural gas explosion demolished and set fire to homes and sent flames hundreds of feet into the air in eastern Pennsylvania.

1 dead, 5 missing after massive Pa. gas blast - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1353378 wrote: So, this thread came to mind after reading this:

1 dead, 5 missing after massive Pa. gas blast

One person was dead and five were missing after a massive natural gas explosion demolished and set fire to homes and sent flames hundreds of feet into the air in eastern Pennsylvania.

Where does Scalloway come from ?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1353395 wrote: Where does Scalloway come from ?

In his intro post, he claimed to be from in Florida, I think.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”