Aussie Human Rights Award for Julian Assange

gmc

Post by gmc »

Maybe this will embarrass the australian govt in to objecting to one of their own being tried in the states for something that isn't a crime.

Aussie Human Rights Award for Julian Assange | Pro Bono Australia

Foundation Director, Professor Stuart Rees says Assange was told of the Human Rights Award while the WikiLeaks founder was in jail awaiting a UK bail hearing on extradition matters.

He says Assange’s moral was raised considerably on hearing the news.

Prof Rees says Assange’s work is in the Tom Paine Rights of Man and Daniel Ellsberg Pentagon Papers tradition – challenging the old order of power in politics and in journalism.

Prof Rees says Assange has championed people’s right to know and has challenged the centuries-old tradition that governments are entitled to keep the public in a state of ignorance.

He says in the Paine, Ellsberg and Assange cases, those in power moved quickly to silence their critics even by perverting the course of justice.

Assange is currently being investigated by a US grand jury. In 1792 a grand jury in the UK indicted Paine for sedition for publishing the Rights of Man.

They still haven't charged bradley manning yet have they?
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

Well at least people are fighting for this guy. I think they'll get him in jail in the end or he will be killed. It's kind of stupid, even if they martyr him in some way they won't stop the problem. Somebody else will simply pick up the torch.

I don't think Stalin could have stopped this but that is in fact the only shot they have to stop it. Mass arrests, gulags and all of that great stuff.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Julian likes to be a trouble maker I don't believe his motives are pure . But he is putting up a world wide protest. But GMC is quite correct he hasn't broken any laws. Teh crap of his sexual assault charge seems dodgy to me . He was invited to this meeting/convention by the woman he supposedly raped then invited back to her home ...actually it's not deemed rape.....The actual charge is "surprise sex." WTF?
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

I think you make the same mistake most people do. You attribute everything to him. There are many people behind him, it's true he did start it but I think now it is out of his control.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

no no no no i know there's whole personage behind him and he's the frontman......but I think it's silly to think he didn't start this, he's been doing this for so many years ..it's only now that it's on the world stage ......Again he has committed no crime in this country.
gmc

Post by gmc »

fuzzywuzzy;1352663 wrote: Julian likes to be a trouble maker I don't believe his motives are pure . But he is putting up a world wide protest. But GMC is quite correct he hasn't broken any laws. Teh crap of his sexual assault charge seems dodgy to me . He was invited to this meeting/convention by the woman he supposedly raped then invited back to her home ...actually it's not deemed rape.....The actual charge is "surprise sex." WTF?

Derpends on your perspective does it not? Every advocate for civil rights, greater freedom or more accountablity of government has been viewed as a trouble maker. Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther king, George Washington, Malcol X, they were all, trouble makers in their day. You need trouble makers- Like the ones in tahrir square in Cairo, they're trouble makers so far as Mubarek is concerned. Unappreciative, selfish people who don't appreciate what their government does for them.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

What civil rights atrocities has Julian exposed?
gmc

Post by gmc »

fuzzywuzzy;1352814 wrote: What civil rights atrocities has Julian exposed?

I would need to trawl through wikileaks to give details not having looked for such things specifically . It was wikileaks that released videos of amarican helicopters slaughtering unarmed civilians that got Bradley Manning in to trouble with the authorities.

Collateral Murder

I actually said he was an advocate for civil rights. Be interesting to see how history judged the importance if wikileaks in changing the world we live in.

Tunisia: The WikiLeaks connection | World news | The Guardian

Publication of WikiLeaks sourced private US comments on the corruption and nepotism of a hated "sclerotic" regime is said to have helped create Tunisia's protest, and generated talk by US commentators of a "Wikileaks revolution".

Return to “International Politics”