EGYPT: What's your take?

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

There seems to be a lot of implications with Egypt from an Israeli/Palestinian standpoint to oil production and anything in between. I'm by no means an authority on Egypt, but I understand what's being said and sold on American television.

America's government of course would like to see the secular (free market capitalist) group take hold of government assets and infrastructure of Egypt, and I've little doubt governments such as Iran would prefer the more religious fundamental Islamic group take control.

I myself really haven't developed an independent opinion on the issue though after listening to Mohamed ElBaradei who prefers the secular group takeover, I'd probably lean that way as well, mainly because ElBaradei has credibility with me.

Any opinions?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

My kneejerk reaction is to allow Egypt to create their own destiny. I'm embarrassed when I think of all the puppets we've installed. Of course, that begs the question of what to do when another country tries to fill the void with their own puppet, and how to avoid de facto stacking the deck in our favor rather than Egypt's. I don't have an answer for that.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I don't know, the secular group has many pertinent points to make.

But I was saddened by the amount of violence, and the damage to the museum.
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

I don't think it will get too bad. It will have a scenario like Romania or Hungary, nothing much will change for the people, another group of vultures will simply take their place at the carcass. I think Egypts problems are far more than just politics. Population and religious factors play a part also.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

With Protest Victory, Egypt Looks at Life After Mubarak - TIME

Today, I am happy for the Egyptian people.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “International Politics”