FG Trivia

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

Today's the first of the month, if anyone wants to give it a go - the scores are wiped down monthly so at the moment nobody's ahead in the game. Last month we only had 8 players, it's a lot more interesting with double that.

Forumgarden Trivia - Daily Trivia Game
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

FG Trivia

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1349163 wrote: Today's the first of the month, if anyone wants to give it a go - the scores are wiped down monthly so at the moment nobody's ahead in the game. Last month we only had 8 players, it's a lot more interesting with double that.

Forumgarden Trivia - Daily Trivia Game

As an experiment I'm keeping the score (100 per correct answer minus the time taken in seconds) rather than the somewhat arbitrary points awarded - if I'm around all month it could be an interesting comparison.
spot

Re: FG Trivia

Post by spot »

As an exercise in logic, this is a doozie
5. What was the name of the first calender made by the Romans?
Your Answer: Romulan
The correct answer was Julian.
Emperor Julius Caeser invented this calender in 46 B.C.

We have Caesar spelled wrongly, calendar spelled wrongly twice, Julius was never an Emperor and... which "first calender" did Rome use before the reform of Julius?!

One wonders about some people on occasion.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:53 am As an exercise in logic, this is a doozie
5. What was the name of the first calender made by the Romans?
Your Answer: Romulan
The correct answer was Julian.
Emperor Julius Caeser invented this calender in 46 B.C.

We have Caesar spelled wrongly, calendar spelled wrongly twice, Julius was never an Emperor and... which "first calender" did Rome use before the reform of Julius?!

One wonders about some people on occasion.
It all hinges around the word “made”.

From the wording of the question it was intended to be read as “invented” rather than “used”.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:43 pmIt all hinges around the word “made”.

From the wording of the question it was intended to be read as “invented” rather than “used”.

From what I recall, Julius was credited with bringing in a very small adjustment, not a new calendar, on the advice of mathematical consultants.

He firstly had to bring the year back to the solar season, to make each year meaningful to farmers. Then he took the existing leap month which was used every three or four years and broke it into ten days a year, to stabilize the year length to an invariant 365.

That was it, and it's best called a small revision.
spot

Post by spot »

Today's the first of the month, if anyone wants to give it a go - the scores are wiped down monthly so at the moment nobody's ahead in the game. Last month we only had 8 players, it's a lot more interesting with double that.

http://my.funtrivia.com/tournament/Foru ... 86519.html

Return to “General Chit Chat”