Riots in London.

Scrat

Riots in London.

Post by Scrat »

I hope they rip the place apart. The banks and government buildings these people shouldn't have to pay to bail out scumbags and thieves.

YouTube - London Mass Student protest turns to violence.Chopper view.DEC 9.!
Bez

Riots in London.

Post by Bez »

Scrat;1346257 wrote: I hope they rip the place apart. The banks and government buildings these people shouldn't have to pay to bail out scumbags and thieves.

YouTube - London Mass Student protest turns to violence.Chopper view.DEC 9.!

You must be joking !

I applaud peaceful protest and these youngsters have a point although there is a lot of misunderstanding about the 'pay back' of student looans.........However....WANTON CRIMINAL DAMAGE, VIOLENCE, GRAFFITI ON OUR ANCIENT MONUMENTS, ATTACK ON A MEMBER OF THE ROYAL FAMILY, RIOTING IN OUR MAJOR SHOPPING CENTER WHERE CHRISTMAS SHOPPERS AND TOURISTS WERE GOING ABOUT THEIR BUSINESS.....how can you condone that. It wouldn't be tolerated in the USA surely ?
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Scrat

Riots in London.

Post by Scrat »

How can we condone theft on a scale the likes we have seen in the last 2 years? I personally condone this because I think it is the only way we have to correct this type of behavior.
koan

Riots in London.

Post by koan »

I'm not supporting the physical attacks on Charles and Camilla's Rolls Royce but I think the "Off with their heads!" chant was frickin' hilarious.
Scrat

Riots in London.

Post by Scrat »

I'm not supporting the attack on Charles and Camilla either, just drag them out and turn the RR to scrap. Or take it on a one way joy ride.
dchistoryman

Riots in London.

Post by dchistoryman »

Yes the students have a right to protest but "rent a mob" doesnt. The usual supects turn up and try to engage the police in violence. As far as being screwed by the "man" (banks, government etc) it was ever thus. I would hope that peaceful protest will go on and have some success. I have always hacd a sneaking admiration for the way the French handle these things, they just take to the streets.

As far as the Charles Camilla incident it shows two things. a) someone in the security detail is going to be fired b) shows how detached the pair are from normal life to think that route would be ok.

"off with their heads" that's treason :-) sounds like the students are after a Republic!!!!
koan

Riots in London.

Post by koan »

dchistoryman;1346303 wrote:

"off with their heads" that's treason :-) sounds like the students are after a Republic!!!!

Really? Well, I guess a whole lot of students are about to be arrested for rape then.
Bez

Riots in London.

Post by Bez »

Scrat;1346282 wrote: How can we condone theft on a scale the likes we have seen in the last 2 years? I personally condone this because I think it is the only way we have to correct this type of behavior.

And who ends up paying for the damage ? Ultimately it's ME via taxation and increased insurance premiums. Also London has a large amount of tourists......if they stop coming then businesses suffer.

There are a lot of issues that if I were younger and peaceful protest was gauranteed, I would be happy to be a part of ! Fuel prices for one !
gmc

Riots in London.

Post by gmc »

I think the lib dems have destroyed themselves as a party. the one thing they should have insisted on as a condition of any coalition was electoral reform. It's not going to happen as neither labour or conservative have anything to gain by changing the present system. Labour introduced charges in the first place bunch of hypocrites. Lib dem might have entered the coalition with the interests of the country at heart but they're going to get shafted. I've always voted liberal but I'm scunnered with the lot of them.

Sadly it seems we need to riot before politicians take notice. Hundreds of thousands protested the iraq war and they didn't notice. Hundreds of thousand protested the Poll tax but it wasn't until people actually started rioting they that they took the hint and got rid of Thatcher.
Bez

Riots in London.

Post by Bez »

gmc;1346309 wrote: I think the lib dems have destroyed themselves as a party. the one thing they should have insisted on as a condition of any coalition was electoral reform. It's not going to happen as neither labour or conservative have anything to gain by changing the present system. Labour introduced charges in the first place bunch of hypocrites. Lib dem might have entered the coalition with the interests of the country at heart but they're going to get shafted. I've always voted liberal but I'm scunnered with the lot of them.

Sadly it seems we need to riot before politicians take notice. Hundreds of thousands protested the iraq war and they didn't notice. Hundreds of thousand protested the Poll tax but it wasn't until people actually started rioting they that they took the hint and got rid of Thatcher.

I feel the same aboutthe Lib Dems. They've really let us down.

I guess if you look back in History most successful potests have been those that have been violent.....
gmc

Riots in London.

Post by gmc »

Bez;1346326 wrote: I feel the same aboutthe Lib Dems. They've really let us down.

I guess if you look back in History most successful potests have been those that have been violent.....

Apart from ghandi's perhaps. We actually have a very long history of violent protest.
Scrat

Riots in London.

Post by Scrat »

Have the loan sharks stepped up yet? I think that's what this is about. Make the schools so expensive that the young people have to take out loans to get by and then saddle them with huge amounts of debt.

We're looking at another meltdown here because kids who took out these loans can't get jobs to pay them back.
Saint_

Riots in London.

Post by Saint_ »

I'm with Bez. Lately it seems that they reaction to anything you don't like is burn your own neighborhood and city down.(either that or take schoolchildren hostage!) Where's the logic in that? The L.A. riots were some of the most idiotic things I've ever seen in my life.
Saint_

Riots in London.

Post by Saint_ »

Scrat;1346662 wrote: Have the loan sharks stepped up yet? I think that's what this is about. Make the schools so expensive that the young people have to take out loans to get by and then saddle them with huge amounts of debt that they can never pay back.

It's the American Way!:D

Actually, what's the big fuss? I worked my way through college THREE TIMES without any loans or scholarships by taking classes during the day and working at night. sure it was tough, but so what? I was young. You can do almost anything when you are young.
gmc

Riots in London.

Post by gmc »

Saint_;1346677 wrote: It's the American Way!:D

Actually, what's the big fuss? I worked my way through college THREE TIMES without any loans or scholarships by taking classes during the day and working at night. sure it was tough, but so what? I was young. You can do almost anything when you are young.

It's not our way which is why people are rioting. Education is a fundamental right and access to further education for all is part of that. To see it taken away while the bankers get bailed out is what angers people - as does being lied to by politicians. It just takes a while for that anger to find a voice. Now we have a home secretary talking about using water cannon. Nothing like throwing petrol on the fire - metaphorically speaking. There were hundreds of thousands protested the iraq war and were ignored, sometimes, if governments don't listen then rioting might get through to them. It was the poll tax riots that finally got rid of Thatcher as it dawned on the tories how hated she was.

We have a hard won established tradition of a right to protest and demonstrate.
Scrat

Riots in London.

Post by Scrat »

Where's the logic in that?

It sends a message. Meekly sitting at home doing nothing? Where's the logic in that? It sends a message too, it tells the powers that be they can do as they wish without repercussions.
koan

Riots in London.

Post by koan »

Making education inaccessible is bad for a country. I can't figure out how countries, my own included, can't see the advantage in allowing every person to become their best. The only explanation is that wealthy people want their children to be dominant.

You've got one shot at education. If you make the wrong career decision it's nearly impossible to get the funding to go back and retrain. Not everyone has the health to work and school. And if they do, should we demand they make themselves ill trying?
Saint_

Riots in London.

Post by Saint_ »

Scrat;1346852 wrote: It sends a message. Meekly sitting at home doing nothing? Where's the logic in that?

Oh you get me wrong, I wasn't advocating apathy. Merely decrying violence as a solution to anything. There's lots of ways to send a message: Organize, write, protest peacefully, have sit ins, vote, boycott...you get the idea.
gmc

Riots in London.

Post by gmc »

Saint_;1346891 wrote: Oh you get me wrong, I wasn't advocating apathy. Merely decrying violence as a solution to anything. There's lots of ways to send a message: Organize, write, protest peacefully, have sit ins, vote, boycott...you get the idea.

If that always works why did the colonies rebel in 1776?
Saint_

Riots in London.

Post by Saint_ »

gmc;1346919 wrote: If that always works why did the colonies rebel in 1776?

Ummmmm...welll...I mean...uh....

Oh heck. BURN BABY BURN!!

Attached files

Return to “Current Events”